• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

George Knapp

Started by ArtBellFan, April 27, 2008, 09:05:01 AM

I swear I don't know what people see in George Knapp.  More boring than Noory, he has the worst guests of any of them, I won't say he's as dumb as GN since he knows what most of the words he uses mean and has an inspired topic like the wild mustans every once in awhile, but jeez.  Anyway, enjoy, enjoy.

stevesh

Quote from: Paper*Boy on December 27, 2011, 01:44:34 AM
I swear I don't know what people see in George Knapp. 

I see a couple of things in Knapp. First, he brings a journalistic attitude to his interviews, so he controls where the conversation goes, rather than doing a Noory and letting guests ramble on with only the occasional "amazing" or "incredible" inserted. More than once last night, Knapp  interrupted the guests to say that he wanted to wait to discuss whatever they had mentioned later in the program (and then did so). If nothing else, it shows that he has actually prepared for the show. Also, he actually asks follow-up questions, a nice change from Simple George.

Even though Knapp is a professional TV journalist, I'm guessing there is a lot of difference between his TV work and hosting C2C. I think if he hosted C2C full time, he would be every bit as good as Art Bell was.

It's also a shame he seems to be stuck most of the time in the UFO ghetto. His non-UFO shows are much better.

valdez

Quote from: Paper*Boy on December 27, 2011, 01:44:34 AM
I swear I don't know what people see in George Knapp... 
Quote from: stevesh on December 27, 2011, 04:31:05 AM
I see a couple of things in Knapp... a journalistic attitude... controls where the conversation goes... actually prepared for the show... a shame he seems to be stuck most of the time in the UFO ghetto. His non-UFO shows are much better.

And yet he maintains a healthy level of skepticism when he does UFO thing.  First hour with David Childress on, among other things, a possible connection between the ancient Egyptians and the Grand Canyon.  I didn't catch the evidence on this.  Then your run of the mill "guy goes hunting and encounters robot aliens" with Ruben Uriarte, and Noe Torres.  I also like the way (its been mentioned before here) Knapp comments on the bumper music.  A small deal, but it shines a glaring light on how little Noory even mentions it, and when he does he tells us his crew picks most of it except for the "old stuff" (and corny), which he seems to like.  Of the current  team of c2c host, Knapp has the better taste.

CoastCanuck

It's also a shame he seems to be stuck most of the time in the UFO ghetto. His non-UFO shows are much better.
How much control do the hosts have in the contents of their shows and who the guests are/what the topics are?  just curious.

aldousburbank

One of the things I love the most about listening to C2C is that I tend to doze off and wake up repeatedly, which makes the weird stuff roll to the edges of my subconscious hippie brain, making it seem even stranger.  Last night was excellent fodder for this cheap high... I mean alien robots shooting knockout gas at some hunter up in a tree?  Outstanding!

Lovely Bones

Quote from: aldousburbank on December 26, 2011, 10:30:18 AM
I thought the Knappster's bumper music was above par last night- particularly The Doors' "Waiting For The Sun".  Hell yeah!

Knapp has THE best bumper music, hands down, IMO.

Lovely Bones

I see a couple of things in Knapp. First, he brings a journalistic attitude to his interviews, so he controls where the conversation goes, rather than doing a Noory and letting guests ramble on with only the occasional "amazing" or "incredible" inserted. More than once last night, Knapp  interrupted the guests to say that he wanted to wait to discuss whatever they had mentioned later in the program (and then did so). If nothing else, it shows that he has actually prepared for the show. Also, he actually asks follow-up questions, a nice change from Simple George.

Yep.  I wasn't crazy about him when I first heard him because a) his voice has such a flat affect and b) he was doing UFO's, like, every single time.  But I gave him a chance and I completely agree with you.  Still give Ian a slight edge of those who are left (well, semi-left) broadcasting on C2C.  I know Paper Boy will never agree, but Ian and Knapp are damn good at what they do.  Damn good.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Lovely Bones on December 27, 2011, 11:01:09 AM

Absolutely agree, and he knows the music- unlike a certain dolt on during the week.

Which makes his Blink 182 pandering all the more noisome,revolting,horrifying and stomach turning. He knows better than that.

Great Knapp show last night about that hunter getting treed by aliens and their robot shooting knockout gas......that incident was detailed in a book I got for Christmas as a child back in the mid-80's about UFO's, but I hadn't heard anything about it since. I was too tired to stay awake for the whole thing, so I'm pretty sure I ended up having some bizarre dreams too as it played in the background.

b_dubb

i remember an episode of the Project Blue Book tv show about that incident. And also remember reading about that in a book. Interesting story. Can't remember if there was any actual evidence though

Nebraska888

HANDS DOWN.....KNAPP ROCKS!

Lovely Bones

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on December 27, 2011, 02:56:35 PM
   Absolutely agree, and he knows the music- unlike a certain dolt on during the week.

Which makes his Blink 182 pandering all the more noisome,revolting,horrifying and stomach turning. He knows better than that.

Blink 182.  Ugh.  'Nuff said. 

Lovely Bones

Quote from: TaoOfLuxLisbon on December 27, 2011, 07:46:55 PM
Great Knapp show last night about that hunter getting treed by aliens and their robot shooting knockout gas......that incident was detailed in a book I got for Christmas as a child back in the mid-80's about UFO's, but I hadn't heard anything about it since. I was too tired to stay awake for the whole thing, so I'm pretty sure I ended up having some bizarre dreams too as it played in the background.

Even with Whitley's clusterfuck last night, it sure has felt a little like the old C2C for the last few days.

Aliens and stuff that's paranormal. 

No turmeric. 

Simple George has to go. Simple George has to go.  Simple George has to go.  Simple George has to go.  Simple George has to go.  Simple George has to go.  Simple George has to go.  Simple George has to go.  Simple George has to go.  Simple George has to go.  Simple George has to go.  Simple George has to go.  Simple George has to go.  Simple George has to go.  Simple George has to go.  Simple George has to go.  Simple George has to go.  Simple George has to go.

Tara

Quote from: Lovely Bones on December 27, 2011, 11:01:09 AM

Looked up Knapp at Wikipedia;  born in 1952, he's only 2 years younger than Noory.   Yet compared to Simple George (love that monicker) Knapp's a different breed of cat.  He's knows and appreciates the music of his generation, especially the rock classics. 
Per Wiki, Knapp's resume is impressive, again compared to Simple George.  He was his H.S. class president, has a couple of degrees in Journalism.  Knapp taught debate and forensics at some California U's.  This explains his verbal proficiency.  Plus, he doesn't dye his hair a phony shade of black; he looks like an attractive man of his age should.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Knapp_(journalist)

CoastCanuck

Quote from: Tara on December 28, 2011, 12:06:39 PM
he looks like an attractive man of his age should.

I agree.  It's 6 hours before George's show tonight and the C2C website still says TBA for the description of tonight's show.  I wonder why.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: CoastCanuck on January 06, 2012, 06:08:02 PM
I agree.  It's 6 hours before George's show tonight and the C2C website still says TBA for the description of tonight's show.  I wonder why.
Unusual for GK to do a Friday show.  I thought Wells was the new stand-in man.  Maybe Wells isn't holding the ratings?  His last show with rabid Steven Quayle run amuk was a disaster.

Morgus

John B. Wells now is the regular Saturday night c2cam host, so he is up tomorrow.

George Knapp hosted just last week during the noory holiday week off.
Tonight he hosts again with this scheduled:
Fri 01-06
Filling in for George Noory, George Knapp welcomes author Marion Williams for a discussion on her book, It's A Metaphysical World. Open Lines to follow.

valdez

Quote from: Morgus on January 06, 2012, 08:00:58 PM
Filling in for George Noory, George Knapp welcomes author Marion Williams for a discussion on her book, It's A Metaphysical World. Open Lines to follow.

So I'm thinking, "great, it's an old lady, she's gonna ramble on and on, and Knapp is gonna have to wake her up a few times," but Marion Williams had an elegance and dignity that complimented her simple stories of the netherworld.  It was during open lines that people rambled on an on, and I'm thinking, "great, when is Knapp gonna shut these people up?"   He didn't.  I guess he's got patience.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: valdez on January 07, 2012, 05:32:12 AM

So I'm thinking, "great, it's an old lady, she's gonna ramble on and on, and Knapp is gonna have to wake her up a few times," but Marion Williams had an elegance and dignity that complimented her simple stories of the netherworld.  It was during open lines that people rambled on an on, and I'm thinking, "great, when is Knapp gonna shut these people up?"   He didn't.  I guess he's got patience.

I think he was bored.  It was pretty bland material and I don't think hardcore spirituality is his game anyway. The guest was as a standard Noory-issue spritualism flake, but with a nice POME accent.  Caller ghost stories can be interesting.  Not tonight. I was very surprised how long he let the callers ramble aimlessly on.  Not one of GK's best nights.

Nebraska888

I'll take an average Knapp night any time compared to Noory!   

Morgus

Last night's guest was kinda funny when a caller mentioned England and and said where you are from, then she yelled at him saying she was from New Zealand. Later on when Knapp mentioned New Zealand, she then said she was actually a Canadian citizen now.  8)

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: VtaGeezer on January 07, 2012, 12:38:16 PM
I think he was bored.  It was pretty bland material and I don't think hardcore spirituality is his game anyway. The guest was as a standard Noory-issue spritualism flake, but with a nice POME accent.  Caller ghost stories can be interesting.  Not tonight. I was very surprised how long he let the callers ramble aimlessly on.  Not one of GK's best nights.

That's where Ian will be missed, he knows how to stifle the ramblers. I tuned in late(forgetting that Noory was out) and heard some clown babble for 45 seconds without a breath, and was taken aback hearing Knapp just kind of "yes" the guy along. He did sound bored.

b_dubb

Quote from: CoastCanuck on January 06, 2012, 06:08:02 PM
no one in their right mind wants to be on coast

Lovely Bones

No posts on Knapp's show last night?

Dang it all, I fell asleep. 

Night after long night, I lie awake with insomnia, listening to that fool Noory drone on. 

Three nights a month, we have a shot at a decent Coast to Coast (two Knapp nights, one Ian night).  And insomnia gives me a break on a Knapp night. 

Go figure.  Tell me he sucked so I don't feel so bad. 

Harmness

Morgus

Last night's first 2 hour guests were  Col. John Alexander along with his wife Victoria Alexander.
John is OK, but unfortunately he let his wife Victoria take over most of the discussion and her voice was really grating to my ears...  :P

11angeleyes11

Quote from: Morgus on January 16, 2012, 05:24:37 PM
Last night's first 2 hour guests were  Col. John Alexander along with his wife Victoria Alexander.
John is OK, but unfortunately he let his wife Victoria take over most of the discussion and her voice was really grating to my ears...  :P
I met his wife and spoke to her at a UFO conference a couple of years ago.  I almost got to meet Mr. Knapp, he was at a coffee table away from me and they were talking to each other.   He was very approachable and friendly. 

Ben Shockley

Quote from: Morgus on January 16, 2012, 05:24:37 PM
She was talking about drug experiences and frankly sounded like she was on something during the show.... NOT compelling radio.
And as for Col. John-- to hear him tell it, is there anything in life that he hasn't done?  His resumé sounds pretty unbelievable.... like, each entry is something that people spend whole careers attaining.... supposedly a super spook, confidant to the highest levels of the government-military complex, yet ~ a regular on fringe-y radio and Internet programs.  Like Steve Quayle: he's all over shows like this, telling the "secrets" --YET-- the "people in the know" willingly open up to him...?  Right ~~~~