• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Please help me with a literary reference I can't remember

Started by GuerrillaUnReal, November 22, 2015, 01:19:31 PM

Hey folks,

Since we're all cool weird creative learn-ed folks on here, I was hoping one of you can help me with a literary reference that is driving me insane because I can't remember what book it's from.

I remember when I was younger I read a book about a character in the old south. This character was on the run and while on the run he came across an escaped slave who lived by himself and had his own little secret farm where he lived as a free man despite being in a land of slavery. The man had a sweet little setup and I remember the book even taking about how he had his own hog. For the life of me I cannot remember what book this was from or anymore detail than that. I feel like this was from a Mark Twain book but again, I can't remember.

I've searched and searched on Google but keep coming back with the story of Jim in Huck Finn which isn't what I'm thinking of.

This image is so deep and important in my mind but I can't remember anything else about the story. I really would like the find it again.

If anyone can recall or help me with, they'd be like the best person ever in the history of the intrawebz.

Thank you.

GravitySucks

Quote from: VoteQuimby on November 22, 2015, 01:19:31 PM
Hey folks,

Since we're all cool weird creative learn-ed folks on here, I was hoping one of you can help me with a literary reference that is driving me insane because I can't remember what book it's from.

I remember when I was younger I read a book about a character in the old south. This character was on the run and while on the run he came across an escaped slave who lived by himself and had his own little secret farm where he lived as a free man despite being in a land of slavery. The man had a sweet little setup and I remember the book even taking about how he had his own hog. For the life of me I cannot remember what book this was from or anymore detail than that. I feel like this was from a Mark Twain book but again, I can't remember.

I've searched and searched on Google but keep coming back with the story of Jim in Huck Finn which isn't what I'm thinking of.

This image is so deep and important in my mind but I can't remember anything else about the story. I really would like the find it again.

If anyone can recall or help me with, they'd be like the best person ever in the history of the intrawebz.

Thank you.
Edit:  this probably isn't it if you read it when you were younger.
Not sure if this is it, its been too long
http://www.powells.com/book/walk-through-darkness-9780385720366?partnerid=32971

Quote from: VoteQuimby on November 22, 2015, 01:19:31 PM
Hey folks,

Thank you.

It sounds like Huckleberry Finn. Are you sure it's not?

GravitySucks

I don't remember the entire Story line of Uncle Tom's Cabin, but you might want to check it. You can download it for free from Project Gutenberg.

K_Dubb

Quote from: GravitySucks on November 22, 2015, 01:54:16 PM
I don't remember the entire Story line of Uncle Tom's Cabin, but you might want to check it. You can download it for free from Project Gutenberg.

I was thinking her Tale Of The Great Dismal Swamp but it's been too many years to say for sure.

Robert

Not familiar with this particular story, but the theme of an accidental visit to a place where someone's living outside of surrounding societal strictures is a pretty common one in fiction & especially satire.

pate

Completely unfamiliar with this story...

I recall one that was a weird one found in the local public school library,,,

Something about a time machine that was hand-held, and green for some reason.

The main character met themselves(self?) in the shower.  / Big weird discussion about the future /

I read a lot in those days as the rest of primary school bored me and I apparently had the answers to satisfy teachers...

Not to solve our mystery but to adda something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSFN6AMagj4

-or-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSaPbVjcrp4

Love...