• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Anyone here "prep" for anything?

Started by Caruthers612, August 27, 2015, 08:50:46 PM

Caruthers612

<puts finger through ring, pulls back, opens can of worms> So I have this theory that if I scour the internet long enough, I'll come across a prepper who isn't batshit crazy and whose preps consist of reasonable measures to help one survive when money is scarce due to robots and AIs performing most of the work in the world. Growing some food, producing some of your own power, water, etc. So far, though, every prepper whose YouTube videos I've watched or who I used to hear on Art's former show is a knuckle dragger, a product of three or more generations of inbreeding down in the holler.

Do any of you prep and if so for what possible future scenario are you prepping, and of what do your preps consist? Despite the foregoing, I'm not here to judge or mock, I'm actually curious.

zeebo

I'm obsessed with the Doomsday Preppers show.  I haven't done jack about it myself though, with the exception of my C.Crane crank radio for emergency broadcasts, and a large bottle of vodka for cleaning abrasions and stress reduction during apocalyptic moments.

BellBoy

I'm a bit ashamed to admit that I did "prep" for Y2K (thanks Art). I felt like a right dick when nothing happened... but, on the bright side, I did have a six months' supply of water! Now, I say fuck it.

Yes, sir. I am currently prepping for tOhio State University footbal season opener against Virginia Tech.

ksm32

Quote from: Caruthers612 on August 27, 2015, 08:50:46 PM
                 Do any of you prep and if so for what possible future scenario are you prepping, and of what do your preps consist? Despite the foregoing, I'm not here to judge or mock, I'm actually curious.

OK, well, here is my situation. Perhaps I'm nuts.

I live in the city. I have solar panels on the roof and some wind power. I live smack dab in the middle of BC Canada. We get a lot of wind as we loose millions of tree's every summer due to fires. It's heart breaking.     I have guns and many many shells.

I have built a beautiful tall fence around my house as if to say Fuck Off World. I actually belief the Chinese, Russians, and the Arabs are coming for the huge natural resource that is Canada. We have a very effective be it small armed forces. We also have Huge military friends in the US of A, and the red coats. That's good..

However, infrastructure is crumbling throughout society. Morals and ethics are almost a joke. The moral fabric of what used to be known as common sense is dead. Wheat, and grain, and corn, dry up. The people keep on breeding, fucking like the rabbits I had as a kid. They don't instill anything good into these little fuckers..

I won't even get in to how social media is programing the population and numbing the soul of these losers who can't go a day without checking to see what useless shit they may be missing.

I plan to die with my boots on.  Although.. men plan, God laughs. That's what they say right ;)

I think I'm just a VERY disappointed optimist.

Juan

Tarbaby

No, I don't prep for anything. I'm the typical grasshopper who plays his fiddle while Rome burns. Or something like that. Except for chocolate… I do get a bit nervous if I run low on chocolate.

cweb

I take extra toilet paper when I go camping.

scottydawg

Quote from: cweb on August 28, 2015, 09:41:15 AM
I take extra toilet paper when I go camping.
Yeps Cweb that's the way, just keep extra stuff around that you'd normally uses.
I Call my plan, Batteries, Band-Aids, Bullets and Buttwipe!"
Mainly here it's power outages during thunderstorms or blizzards. Trees in my neighborhood are 80 to 100 years old.
And of course all the power and cable/phone lines just happen to be right under the biggest branches!
I have a Coleman deep cold style ice chest. I'll buy a big bag of ice from a C-Store for a Buck.99 cents and stick all the
perishable foods in there.

Caruthers612

Quote from: ksm32 on August 28, 2015, 01:48:55 AM
However, infrastructure is crumbling throughout society. Morals and ethics are almost a joke. The moral fabric of what used to be known as common sense is dead. Wheat, and grain, and corn, dry up. The people keep on breeding, fucking like the rabbits I had as a kid. They don't instill anything good into these little fuckers..

I won't even get in to how social media is programing the population and numbing the soul of these losers who can't go a day without checking to see what useless shit they may be missing.

I think I'm just a VERY disappointed optimist.

A very disappointed dentist? Well so would I be if I had to look into people's mouths all day. Oh, optimist! Sorry, never mind.
      Anyway, KSM, I like the cut 'o yer jib. There's just something about the way you casually refer to the hordes of unwashed smelly dirty douche bags as losers and fuckers that appeals to me. Maybe we should share a bunker when the shit hits the fan. You, me, and a few Vietnamese hookers from downtown Vancouver.

albrecht

Like most things, moderation is likely the best option (unless one has unlimited funds.) Whilst I admire those who have fled for the hills in the great Redoubt in the Inland Empire, NW etc I notice, lots of fires there. Sucks. I won't say conspiracy but just say it really sucks because great place. But shows that "prepping" is just COMMON SENSE. Actually in other places it might make more sense. Earthquake, ice-storm, blizzard, "youths" rioting, tornado, hurricane, flash-flood, and so on. Everyone should have common-sense, even without big funds to move or build Compounds (ha), batteries, water, canned goods (I like sardines especially lotsa of protein, last long, Omegas, small size, taste good), ammo, TP and Wipes (those wipes have "saved my ass" on many a trip in foreign countries or camping trips), simple meds (unless you need prescriptions,) (when going to foreign lands or for prep you should have "stuff" to stop yourself, start yourself, treat minor wounds, and aches and pains as a matter of course) etc. Just common-sense.

Caruthers612

Quote from: albrecht on August 28, 2015, 10:41:31 PM
Like most things, moderation is likely the best option (unless one has unlimited funds.) Whilst I admire those who have fled for the hills in the great Redoubt in the Inland Empire, NW etc I notice, lots of fires there. Sucks. I won't say conspiracy but just say it really sucks because great place. But shows that "prepping" is just COMMON SENSE. Actually in other places it might make more sense. Earthquake, ice-storm, blizzard, "youths" rioting, tornado, hurricane, flash-flood, and so on. Everyone should have common-sense, even without big funds to move or build Compounds (ha), batteries, water, canned goods (I like sardines especially lotsa of protein, last long, Omegas, small size, taste good), ammo, TP and Wipes (those wipes have "saved my ass" on many a trip in foreign countries or camping trips), simple meds (unless you need prescriptions,) (when going to foreign lands or for prep you should have "stuff" to stop yourself, start yourself, treat minor wounds, and aches and pains as a matter of course) etc. Just common-sense.

You make some interesting points, Albrecht, but before I begin--because my commentaries are so dazzling y'all likely won't be able to process anything else once you start reading--let me ask, is your username taken from Albrecht Durer, the painter?

First, what did you mean by having "stuff" to start yourself and start yourself? You mean, to wean yourself off of prescription meds you've been taking for a long time and might no longer have access to? That's an interesting point, and an important one. It's true, most 'Muricans take meds these days, and in a poop hits the fan scenario either they'd no longer be made, or distributed to stores, or you wouldn't be able to get out to obtain them. Food for thought.

Next, sardines. Your observations about their practicality are well made, but for myself, I think I'd rather eat the prepper next to me than eat sardines.

Third, prepping against severe weather and acts of Nature, as you say, are just as important--and probably more so since such events are common and in some locations likely--as prepping against hordes of retards overrunning the country and stealing all our tomatoes. I'm not sure where I stand on the claims of the climate change crowd (and I do not wish to initiate a debate about that here), but if it turns out to be true that we will be experiencing increasingly hot summers and cold winters as the years ahead roll by, then being prepared for them is sensible. An atmospheric water generator, for one thing, makes sense to me, if one combines the prospect of hot summers with widespread drought. They make them small enough to place in your kitchen how. Likewise some solar panels or a small wind power setup, if severe storms threaten the grid.

Finally, you mention "youths rioting." Oh boy, could I launch into a tirade on this. Several simultaneously, actually. Of all the possible future threats that are not Nature related, this is the one I think is most likely, at least in certain forms. Watch the HBO series Vice to see what's happening in Europe, Greece and elsewhere. Brother, we are in for a shit storm.

albrecht

Quote from: Caruthers612 on August 29, 2015, 03:43:32 PM
                You make some interesting points, Albrecht, but before I begin--because my commentaries are so dazzling y'all likely won't be able to process anything else once you start reading--let me ask, is your username taken from Albrecht Durer, the painter?

First, what did you mean by having "stuff" to start yourself and start yourself? You mean, to wean yourself off of prescription meds you've been taking for a long time and might no longer have access to? That's an interesting point, and an important one. It's true, most 'Muricans take meds these days, and in a poop hits the fan scenario either they'd no longer be made, or distributed to stores, or you wouldn't be able to get out to obtain them. Food for thought.

Next, sardines. Your observations about their practicality are well made, but for myself, I think I'd rather eat the prepper next to me than eat sardines.

Third, prepping against severe weather and acts of Nature, as you say, are just as important--and probably more so since such events are common and in some locations likely--as prepping against hordes of retards overrunning the country and stealing all our tomatoes. I'm not sure where I stand on the claims of the climate change crowd (and I do not wish to initiate a debate about that here), but if it turns out to be true that we will be experiencing increasingly hot summers and cold winters as the years ahead roll by, then being prepared for them is sensible. An atmospheric water generator, for one thing, makes sense to me, if one combines the prospect of hot summers with widespread drought. They make them small enough to place in your kitchen how. Likewise some solar panels or a small wind power setup, if severe storms threaten the grid.

Finally, you mention "youths rioting." Oh boy, could I launch into a tirade on this. Several simultaneously, actually. Of all the possible future threats that are not Nature related, this is the one I think is most likely, at least in certain forms. Watch the HBO series Vice to see what's happening in Europe, Greece and elsewhere. Brother, we are in for a shit storm.
1) No, though he was a great artist and I really enjoy his stuff and his "home town" of Nürnberg is neat place (great sausage!)

2) Regarding stuff to "start and stop" yourself is travelers, campers, etc often experience "issues" due to bugs, bad water, different food, sitting on planes/cars so long, etc and so it is helpful to have something like Imodium or Pepto to "stop" yourself and something like Ex-Lax (etc) to "start" oneself.

3) Even without bad weather, which is always a constant threat in most places in the US at least there are just the mundane situations that can happen to knock out power: vehicle accident, brown-outs by over-use, house fire somewhere, or even manipulation by energy traders (Enron types.) In addition terrorists and criminals. So having basics and a plan on hand just makes sense.

4) Yeah. I live in a State where the border is wide open to a nearly failed corrupt narco-state. I'm ok but you don't go outside without a firearm (ideally both a pistol and a rifle) and communications device (handheld radio) closer to the border. Like on deer leases, ranches, farms, etc. You are VERY far from "help" and border is flooded with immigrants and criminals (and both) so law enforcement over-stretched even IF they could get there in time and find you. For the most part it is not dangerous because (for now) the illegals, the coyotes, and the cartel drug smugglers generally want to avoid contact. But they do damage to fences, wells, leave trash around, etc. And in some places have done things like home invasions and crime. In the cities though the crimes of rape, drunk driving, theft, and murders have gone up. And for the illegals themselves much danger in the desert and rural area (they die from heat, no water, they are raped and abused, sometimes just killed, etc.) A friend down there basically turned his house into a compound that looks like some stalag due to potential threats from illegals and the cartels. High up, lines of sight a long way, alarm, lights, double fence, dogs, etc.

ksm32

Quote from: Caruthers612 on August 27, 2015, 08:50:46 PM
                  I'm not here to judge or mock, I'm actually curious.

Hey hey now.. I feel mocked, and somewhat judged.
Quote from: Caruthers612 on August 28, 2015, 09:45:11 PM
      A very disappointed dentist? Well so would I be if I had to look into people's mouths all day. Oh, optimist! Sorry, never mind.
      Anyway, KSM, I like the cut 'o yer jib. There's just something about the way you casually refer to the hordes of unwashed smelly dirty douche bags as losers and fuckers that appeals to me. Maybe we should share a bunker when the shit hits the fan. You, me, and a few Vietnamese hookers from downtown Vancouver.

Nowhere did I say smelly or unwashed. I may have hinted at a kind of douche bagness, yes.

I am also not a dentist. Although I do have beautiful teeth ;D

Caruthers612

Quote from: albrecht on August 29, 2015, 06:23:35 PM
1) No, though he was a great artist and I really enjoy his stuff and his "home town" of Nürnberg is neat place (great sausage!)

2) Regarding stuff to "start and stop" yourself is travelers, campers, etc often experience "issues" due to bugs, bad water, different food, sitting on planes/cars so long, etc and so it is helpful to have something like Imodium or Pepto to "stop" yourself and something like Ex-Lax (etc) to "start" oneself.

3) Even without bad weather, which is always a constant threat in most places in the US at least there are just the mundane situations that can happen to knock out power: vehicle accident, brown-outs by over-use, house fire somewhere, or even manipulation by energy traders (Enron types.) In addition terrorists and criminals. So having basics and a plan on hand just makes sense.

4) Yeah. I live in a State where the border is wide open to a nearly failed corrupt narco-state. I'm ok but you don't go outside without a firearm (ideally both a pistol and a rifle) and communications device (handheld radio) closer to the border. Like on deer leases, ranches, farms, etc. You are VERY far from "help" and border is flooded with immigrants and criminals (and both) so law enforcement over-stretched even IF they could get there in time and find you. For the most part it is not dangerous because (for now) the illegals, the coyotes, and the cartel drug smugglers generally want to avoid contact. But they do damage to fences, wells, leave trash around, etc. And in some places have done things like home invasions and crime. In the cities though the crimes of rape, drunk driving, theft, and murders have gone up. And for the illegals themselves much danger in the desert and rural area (they die from heat, no water, they are raped and abused, sometimes just killed, etc.) A friend down there basically turned his house into a compound that looks like some stalag due to potential threats from illegals and the cartels. High up, lines of sight a long way, alarm, lights, double fence, dogs, etc.

1) Thank you for saying I have great sausage. :-0 And I said Durer was a painter earlier, I know he primarily did wood carvings and prints. Amazing stuff.

2) Ah yes, starting and stopping of the colon. Very important consideration. Whole grains, vegetables, legumes, and Metamucil; all these keep the plumbing in good condition. As for having the runs, well, as it is written in Proverbs, this too shall pass.

3) What you write about life on the border (of Mexico?) I find very interesting. I have so much to say on this subject, of self-defense in various circumstances, that I will refrain here, especially since it is likely to get political. However, I envy you dudes who live in states where they allow you to not only own but carry weapons. Up here in the northeast, the very word 'gun' is likely to get you community service.

Quote from: zeebo on August 28, 2015, 12:47:14 AM
I'm obsessed with the Doomsday Preppers show.  I haven't done jack about it myself though, with the exception of my C.Crane crank radio for emergency broadcasts, and a large bottle of vodka for cleaning abrasions and stress reduction during apocalyptic moments.

My favorite Doomsday Prepper is the shrewd, practical fellow who's growing sugarcane and tobacco because he understands that fuel, booze, and smokes will be among the most valuable commodities, along with toilet paper, ammo, and anything remotely edible, in the post-Apocalyptic Hellscape that's just around the corner.  All those saps who are stockpiling gold are going to be in for s nasty surprise when they find out a pound of it won't buy them a single sheet of Scott tissue or a shot of guaro.

In the meantime, I'm not so much prepping as I am self medicating.   ;D

Cheers!

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on August 30, 2015, 01:15:20 AM
My favorite Doomsday Prepper is the shrewd, practical fellow who's growing sugarcane and tobacco because he understands that fuel, booze, and smokes will be among the most valuable commodities, along with toilet paper, ammo, and anything remotely edible, in the post-Apocalyptic Hellscape that's just around the corner.  All those saps who are stockpiling gold are going to be in for s nasty surprise when they find out a pound of it won't buy them a single sheet of Scott tissue or a shot of guaro.

In the meantime, I'm not so much prepping as I am self medicating.   ;D

Cheers!

I've sorted out your hammock under the stairs for you. I've even allocated your section of the fridge. Happy days.

pate

Aww, crap!

This thread reminds me that I "prepped" for some Navy Bean soup the other day by soaking some dry beans...

I bet they've sprouted by now...

I shall soon work on a new recipe, I will call it "Navy Bean Sprout Soup."

If edible;  details to follow in perhaps another thread.

everything from short duration event, local evacuations, WROL (without rule of law), Carrington type event, to global collapse.

fire, water, shelter, food, first aid, navigation... basic survival. just about any survival manual can teach you these basics. you can learn a lot from reading up on camping, backpacking, similar events from the past like The Depression and even the Siege of Sarajevo. what you do by means of preps will depend on how you decide to provide for each of the basics.

"The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it." Proverbs 27:12

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on August 30, 2015, 01:15:20 AM
All those saps who are stockpiling gold are going to be in for s nasty surprise when they find out a pound of it won't buy them a single sheet of Scott tissue or a shot of guaro.

I know you're being flippant, but I have often wondered if the 'buy gold' people - where it's supposed to be a hedge against total economic breakdown - have a clue what they are on about. Gold's only real major value is as a medium of exchange, and if the system has vanished then so has the use of gold. You would need to be bartering with commodities that had practical value rather than tokens. Of course, I just answered my own question; most of these prepper types are just interested in fleecing panicking idiots who listen to Alex Jones.

Anyone want to buy some heirloom seeds, by the way? I have run out of space on the plot they allow me to use in the FEMA camp.

Caruthers612

Quote from: SredniVashtar on August 30, 2015, 05:39:48 AM
I know you're being flippant, but I have often wondered if the 'buy gold' people - where it's supposed to be a hedge against total economic breakdown - have a clue what they are on about. Gold's only real major value is as a medium of exchange, and if the system has vanished then so has the use of gold. You would need to be bartering with commodities that had practical value rather than tokens. Of course, I just answered my own question; most of these prepper types are just interested in fleecing panicking idiots who listen to Alex Jones.

Anyone want to buy some heirloom seeds, by the way? I have run out of space on the plot they allow me to use in the FEMA camp.

I see your witticism, and raise you a lump of pith.

zeebo

Quote from: SredniVashtar on August 30, 2015, 05:39:48 AM
...I have often wondered if the 'buy gold' people - where it's supposed to be a hedge against total economic breakdown - have a clue what they are on about. Gold's only real major value is as a medium of exchange, and if the system has vanished then so has the use of gold. ...

Some folks say, if things really go south, then the metal you'll really need will be lead, in the form of ammo.  :-\

Caruthers612

Quote from: Evil Twin Of Zen on August 30, 2015, 05:30:08 AM
everything from short duration event, local evacuations, WROL (without rule of law), Carrington type event, to global collapse.

fire, water, shelter, food, first aid, navigation... basic survival. just about any survival manual can teach you these basics. you can learn a lot from reading up on camping, backpacking, similar events from the past like The Depression and even the Siege of Sarajevo. what you do by means of preps will depend on how you decide to provide for each of the basics.

"The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it." Proverbs 27:12

Yo, Zen, my brutha, I'm starting to want to have a more in-depth discussion or suvival, prepping, etc. Do you know of any sites devoted to this but which are non-political and non-religious, just interested people calmly (ha) exchanging ideas? It's the politics and religion that always gets in the way and gets people shouting on each other. I just want to gather information and make knock-knock jokes. Even in the apocalypse we'll need knock-knock jokes.

norland2424

the first rule of prepping is to not tell people you prep  ;D

pate

Quote from: Caruthers612 on August 31, 2015, 02:51:20 AM
.... Even in the apocalypse we'll need knock-knock jokes...

I agree with that sentiment, especially in an urban landscape.

Jokes are a code of sorts, if understood.

Or a lure for the unwary if one is well armed...

onan

Everyone's "prep" should include knowing neighbors. If anyone thinks that survival alone for any length of time is possible... well good luck.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: onan on August 31, 2015, 05:58:04 AM
Everyone's "prep" should include knowing neighbors. If anyone thinks that survival alone for any length of time is possible... well good luck.

I dunno Onan; you always seem to hit the nail on the head. But I think the attitude by some is it's every man/ woman for him/herself. I'm not sure there's any documented evidence that one person can survive very long among those who have gone ferrel.

Tarbaby

Rancho tarbaby is high in the clouds in a skyscraper in a metro area. Downstairs is a security system and inside the locked doors are guards. Any of  you SOBs try to get to me for help you'll need a SWAT team at least to get in.
  The way you guys are describing it it sounds like you're living in frontier days. Maybe you should move closer to civilization.:-) :-)

Quote from: Tarbaby on August 31, 2015, 07:32:39 AM
Rancho tarbaby is high in the clouds in a skyscraper in a metro area. Downstairs is a security system and inside the locked doors are guards. Any of  you SOBs try to get to me for help you'll need a SWAT team at least to get in.
  The way you guys are describing it it sounds like you're living in frontier days. Maybe you should move closer to civilization.:-) :-)

One word: Parachute.