• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20150811 - Seth Shostak, SETI - Live Chat Thread

Started by MV/Liberace!, August 11, 2015, 09:31:20 PM

That sound sounds like facebook private message updates.

WhiteCrow

Quote from: VoteQuimby on August 11, 2015, 11:16:15 PM
I would be interested to hear this guy's reasoning behind why his project deserves money over say educational scholarships or something like that.

Let's fund a Bellgab disk :)

Robert

Quote from: UnfamiliarWind on August 11, 2015, 11:15:27 PM"Is there anything slower than not moving?"  ;D ;D ;D Good job, caller.
I heard that one while I was on the toilet.  Speed < 0.  Hmmm...maybe theoretically.  To have a negative magnitude, I think components of the velocity vector would have to be imaginary.  Just solve for that, and you get slower than not moving.

At 1st I thought the caller was getting a jab in about SETI.

Designx

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on August 11, 2015, 11:21:31 PM
I really don't get why everyone thinks Seth has an attitude or is trying to deceive anyone.  He's reporting his science about as straightforwardly has he can.  Is he supposed to make things up?

I'm happy he's not being stupidly enthusiastic about the science he's doing. Then again so many years without results will naturally do that to you.

AppealPlay

Oh, dear, EVP has made it onto tonight's show.  I love this ride. ;D

RoseGirl

Get seth a ghost box???? Epic radio, Art...epic.

Ok Heatherdacted... add Monroe Institute show to the request list after Elvira.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: MichaelFromVA on August 11, 2015, 11:21:57 PM
For the right amount of money you can have your name on just about anything.  Think about the possibilities.

Trump's Midnight in the Desert....featuring Art Bell.

rtz

Let's rent Seth a cabin in upstate New York.  Ask Whitley for the best area.

chefist

Quote from: RoseGirl on August 11, 2015, 11:24:27 PM
Get seth a ghost box???? Epic radio, Art...epic.

LOL Rose...the connections Art makes are fascinating!

AppealPlay

Oh, Seth, you're an accomplished science man but a comedian you are not.  Oof.

Quote from: rtz on August 11, 2015, 11:25:33 PM
Let's rent Seth a cabin in upstate New York.  Ask Whitley for the best area.
Gorgeous property and the anal probing ain't too bad either.

Aliens through the ghost box, reminds of the Aetherius Society and George King....

AppealPlay

Quote from: Royal_Tenenbaum on August 11, 2015, 11:26:24 PM
Gorgeous property and the anal probing ain't too bad either.

That should be the realtor copy.

Freyja

I have had about all of Shostak that I can take for one night.

Enjoy the rest of the show...night all!!

Spinner

Quote from: Freyja on August 11, 2015, 11:16:27 PM
Yup....question might be from whom?
Anyone they can. Money is money, no matter if it comes from some government agency, private wealthy person, or Joe Blow citizen who believes their spiel. Yeah I used to be one.

The SETI Institute is a Non-Profit organization. That means that they cannot show a profit, so all the money they receive must be spent. They get to decide what they spend it on - research projects, equipment, marketing, or employees and officers salaries. Guess where a lot of it goes. Pretty similar to "charitable organizations.".

chefist

Quote from: Freyja on August 11, 2015, 11:27:50 PM
I have had about all of Shostak that I can take for one night.

Enjoy the rest of the show...night all!!

I'm sticking with it!...but I hear ya...night...

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on August 11, 2015, 11:21:31 PM
I really don't get why everyone thinks Seth has an attitude or is trying to deceive anyone.  He's reporting his science about as straightforwardly has he can.  Is he supposed to make things up?

I agree with you, but I've never heard Seth on the defensive like this before either.  Brilliant interview.

AppealPlay

Art shut the religion down quickly.  Hah!  He doesn't want to go down that rabbit hole.

rtz

It's funny some of you feel that way about tonights show.  I felt the same way about the guest last night and just had to turn it off.  Tonights show is superior.

Kevin Sorbo

Quote from: ChandlersDad on August 11, 2015, 10:58:42 PM
Could the entire purpose of Seti be something else? Something probably with a military agenda?

That sounds like the type of idea your friends at The Stranger would really dig.