• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on July 12, 2015, 03:01:20 PM
How did this slip past you without comment, Cam?

I must be losing my edge.

It's.... it's the Art Bell thread... it's like a psychic vampire... a radioactive mutant pumpkin sending out shock waves that bludgeon, that rip and tear space-time...  as July 20 inexorably falls toward us.

Sardondi

Quote from: analog kid on July 10, 2015, 11:00:00 AM
It's not the quality of the show he's objecting to - he's interpreting the show's plot as liberal propaganda.

I'm not watching it because the pilot was just one long Occupy Whatever indoctrination. Plus Rami Malek has weird, spooky, dead eyes which tell me he's the soulless spawn of Satan. 

b_dubb

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on July 12, 2015, 01:30:05 PM

I took one for the team, lol. If you've read or watched a lot of sci fi the plot reveal will seem derivative. The thing is, now that I've invested 6 hours in this production, I'll see it through to the end. Believe me, it's not breaking new ground. While I didn't know the exact details of the reveal, when it was revealed, it didn't surprise me in particular. Seen it in many other forms before.

From what I've read, these episodes are stand alone and if it's renewed next season, there will be a different cast. I think it's heading in the American Horror Story anthology direction.
Yeah I wasn't that blown away by it either. I think I quasi-laughed when the kid revealed the date on the quarter. There's not much about the series that makes sense. But it's on TV soooooo. Why not? Besides Carla Gugino is in it and that might be the only reason I need. ;)

Jackstar

Quote from: b_dubb on July 13, 2015, 02:53:25 PM
Besides Carla Gugino is in it and that might be the only reason I need. ;)

I take back everything I wrote. I must have watched a different show.

zeebo

Quote from: Zoo on July 09, 2015, 12:19:53 AM
Mr. Robot

http://www.usanetwork.com/mrrobot

I thought this new TV shows was really good can not wait to see how far it will go!!1

Just got around to catching the first episode.  Leaving politics aside, I enjoyed it for the techno-jargon and subversive theme vaguely reminiscent of Fight Club.  I'll stick with this for awhile to see where it goes.

b_dubb

Quote from: Jackstar on July 13, 2015, 03:05:36 PM
I take back everything I wrote. I must have watched a different show.
Carla Gugino is in Wayward Pines.  Not the other show you were discussing.  Just to be clear.

In the last three days:

Laserblast (1978)
Werewolf (1985)
The Mole People (1958)

These were the Mystery Science Theater 3000 versions.

I, too, have been watching Wayward Pines. I can say that I prefer it to the summer game shows and reality slots. But so far, it has been underwhelming, though I appreciate their effort. Some good ideas, some not so good ideas. Kind of erratic character-wise I guess. I like the female actresses for the most part. The males - other than Matt Dillon - are pretty much 2D, like their last job was advertising in a hardware store commercial.

Dillon is doing as well as possible with the script he's working with. I'm a David Lynch fan and the subliminally similar Twin Peaks title had me hoping for something more surreal.

The explanation of what is really going on does not add up. I will continue watching to see if there is a twist that makes more sense than what was revealed. I don't know what episodes everyone has seen, so am being deliberately vague.

Which can make for a boring post. heh

Quote from: Sardondi on July 13, 2015, 02:35:21 PM
I'm not watching it because the pilot was just one long Occupy Whatever indoctrination. Plus Rami Malek has weird, spooky, dead eyes which tell me he's the soulless spawn of Satan.

Wait, are we talking about Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg, or Rami Malek? The description is so interchangeable that I am developing brain fog as I process the data.

paladin1991

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on July 13, 2015, 11:42:47 PM
In the last three days:

Laserblast (1978)
Werewolf (1985)
The Mole People (1958)

These were the Mystery Science Theater 3000 versions.

I, too, have been watching Wayward Pines. I can say that I prefer it to the summer game shows and reality slots. But so far, it has been underwhelming, though I appreciate their effort. Some good ideas, some not so good ideas. Kind of erratic character-wise I guess. I like the female actresses for the most part. The males - other than Matt Dillon - are pretty much 2D, like their last job was advertising in a hardware store commercial.

Dillon is doing as well as possible with the script he's working with. I'm a David Lynch fan and the subliminally similar Twin Peaks title had me hoping for something more surreal.

The explanation of what is really going on does not add up. I will continue watching to see if there is a twist that makes more sense than what was revealed. I don't know what episodes everyone has seen, so am being deliberately vague.

Which can make for a boring post. heh

Wait, are we talking about Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg, or Rami Malek? The description is so interchangeable that I am developing brain fog as I process the data.
Where did you find LaserBlast?

onan

zeebo

Quote from: onan on July 14, 2015, 01:53:17 AM
Leave it buried. Even the MST3K version is painful.

I just watched their version of The Starfighters, which in spite of some pretty good gags, was really really awful, almost impossible to finish.  One of them summed it up well with "This movie is filled with more nothing than any movie we've ever seen."

Quote from: paladin1991 on July 14, 2015, 01:35:39 AM
Where did you find LaserBlast?

Onan's right. It's deep deep DEEP hurting.

I have both the original Laserblast on DVD and the MST3K version, that one being part of a boxed 4 DVD set from SHOUT! FACTORY ( MST3K 20th anniversary set - implied MST3K volume number is 13. )

I think the MST3K LASERBLAST is available at

www.vimeo.com but not free. 

Surely the MST3K version is on youtube? Perhaps even an authorized upload by Best Brains, but the resolution might suck. I haven't kept up with what all BB has uploaded.

Kathy: Oh, Billy!

Quote from: zeebo on July 14, 2015, 02:08:52 AM
I just watched their version of The Starfighters, which in spite of some pretty good gags, was really really awful, almost impossible to finish.  One of them summed it up well with "This movie is filled with more nothing than any movie we've ever seen."

I sometimes wonder why I put myself through various episodes. It's like a mental boot camp, to see if I can make it to the end.

Yeah, I couldn't make it through S.E.A.L. training, but ya know what? I plowed through Manos : The Hands of Fate, both the riffed and non-riffed versions. I may not be Navy special forces material, but by blazes, I'm something to be reckoned with...

Sardondi

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on July 13, 2015, 11:42:47 PM....Wait, are we talking about Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg, or Rami Malek? The description is so interchangeable that I am developing brain fog as I process the data.

Uh, I wouldn't put any money on me.

Mystery Science Theater episode 519 : Outlaw of Gor (1989)

Quote from: Sardondi on July 14, 2015, 01:11:32 PM
Uh, I wouldn't put any money on me.

Nonsense. Here's my wallet.  ;)

Holy Ghosts

I'm gearing up to watch my first Dario Argento movie ever. But I'm not sure which one to start on.

As a horror fan, I feel ashamed that I've never seen anything by him yet. Any suggestions on a good first place to start? I'm thinking "Suspiria"...

albrecht

Quote from: Holy Ghosts on July 15, 2015, 10:06:11 AM
I'm gearing up to watch my first Dario Argento movie ever. But I'm not sure which one to start on.

As a horror fan, I feel ashamed that I've never seen anything by him yet. Any suggestions on a good first place to start? I'm thinking "Suspiria"...
"Deep Red" ("Profondo Rosso") is one of my favorites though it is more of Giallo and not a supernatural horror movie. "Suspiria" is an excellent choice and a great movie, the soundtrack and cinematography are amazing.

onan

Quote from: Holy Ghosts on July 15, 2015, 10:06:11 AM

I saw Suspira when it was released. I remember little of it... actually I don't remember anything about it.

Chine

Wow. Looks like an amazing series. Can't wait. NetFlix just released the official trailer for 'Narcos' which tells the story of US & Columbian efforts to battle the Medellin drug cartel and Pablo Escabar. The narration has a 'Goodfellas' feel to it.

http://youtu.be/U7elNhHwgBU

Chine

Jurassic World- loved the original. This one was okay. They really yanked at the animal lover heart strings with those Raptors. Almost silly but it enduced a 'Ohhh those sweet loyal Raptors. They didn't turn on him after all.' (wipes away a happy tear) Darling with confused eyes like a litter of puppies' Decent enough entertainment.

Terminator Genysis. Could someone explain to me what the hell was going on? It was frustrating trying to patch all the previous films and remember details and timelines. Ugh. Maybe I need to watch again? As a GOT Khaleesi Mother of Dragons super fan, enjoyed Emilia Clarke. But I wanted to like it but had trouble following it. Maybe I was too tired and didn't have the energy for it.

Mad Max Fury Road. Insane and Amazing. Brilliant. Worth a second or third viewing and gotta buy this one.

ItsOver

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on July 14, 2015, 02:18:16 AM
Onan's right. It's deep deep DEEP hurting.

I have both the original Laserblast on DVD and the MST3K version, that one being part of a boxed 4 DVD set from SHOUT! FACTORY ( MST3K 20th anniversary set - implied MST3K volume number is 13. )

I think the MST3K LASERBLAST is available at

www.vimeo.com but not free. 

Surely the MST3K version is on youtube? Perhaps even an authorized upload by Best Brains, but the resolution might suck. I haven't kept up with what all BB has uploaded.

Kathy: Oh, Billy!

I sometimes wonder why I put myself through various episodes. It's like a mental boot camp, to see if I can make it to the end.

Yeah, I couldn't make it through S.E.A.L. training, but ya know what? I plowed through Manos : The Hands of Fate, both the riffed and non-riffed versions. I may not be Navy special forces material, but by blazes, I'm something to be reckoned with...
Here I go, sobbing once again, as the haunting Torgo theme plays in my head.  I also have a strong craving for some nice HOT pizza...hold the bread sticks.

zeebo

Quote from: Chine on July 15, 2015, 08:22:14 PM
Mad Max Fury Road. Insane and Amazing. Brilliant. Worth a second or third viewing and gotta buy this one.

This is on my list to see.  Assuming there are no, um, thunderdomes in it.

Quote from: zeebo on July 16, 2015, 12:53:19 AM
This is on my list to see.  Assuming there are no, um, thunderdomes in it.

Oh, come on, zeebo, can't we get beyond thunderdomes?

Quote from: onan on July 15, 2015, 10:12:16 AM
I saw Suspira when it was released. I remember little of it... actually I don't remember anything about it.

I maintain that the best thing Argento has ever done was when he cowrote the screenplay of Once Upon A Time In The West with Bernardo Bertolucci and Sergio Leone.

His first few films were interesting but then I saw his Phantom Of The Opera where his daughter, Asia, had to perform nude in some scenes and it kind of churned my stomach. Asia is a great looking girl but having his father direct her in these scenes seemed lecherous as well as incestuous. I bought his latest release, Dracula, with the giant Praying Mantis and I came away thinking his brain must be fried.

Quote from: ItsOver on July 15, 2015, 08:43:42 PM
Here I go, sobbing once again, as the haunting Torgo theme plays in my head.  I also have a strong craving for some nice HOT pizza...hold the bread sticks.

A while back, I purchased the Shout! double disc MANOS set that contains an unriffed original theater cut of Manos.

Apparently, I cannot torture myself enough by mere renting. 

No. I must own physical copies...  that also feature bonus material about ...

Manos ...

the Hands of Fate.

Jackstar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCcxwieuDH0

This video is a remarkable simulation of what's it's going to be like when everyone wakes up and figures out that this planet is teeming with ETs.

Quote from: 21st Century Man on July 16, 2015, 03:13:01 AM

Asia is a great looking girl but having his her father direct her in these scenes seemed lecherous as well as incestuous. I bought his latest release, Dracula, with the giant Praying Mantis and I came away thinking his brain must be fried.

Her not his. My bad.

albrecht

Quote from: 21st Century Man on July 16, 2015, 03:13:01 AM
I maintain that the best thing Argento has ever done was when he cowrote the screenplay of Once Upon A Time In The West with Bernardo Bertolucci and Sergio Leone.

His first few films were interesting but then I saw his Phantom Of The Opera where his daughter, Asia, had to perform nude in some scenes and it kind of churned my stomach. Asia is a great looking girl but having his father direct her in these scenes seemed lecherous as well as incestuous. I bought his latest release, Dracula, with the giant Praying Mantis and I came away thinking his brain must be fried.
If you are going to avoid rape, incest, pedophilia, violence or various addictions you might as well write off and stop watching almost all movies. (And avoid reading or attending any Greek or Shakespearean plays or ancient myths...or reading the Bible for that matter.) Now, granted, in the older ones the rape, incest, murders, and violence usually were for a moral lesson- not for getting parts in the production (casting couches, parties, etc,) for prurient interest of the viewer, or as the sole focus of the work.)As much as I say it is wrong(Polanksi, Klinski, Woody Allen, etc a lot of the current pedos and freaks there working now- who don't make good stuff anymore anyway) I can separate and say that they could still make a good film. But steal them and get them from torrents. Don't give them the money and any residuals.

zeebo

Oblivion (2013).  Didn't hear much about this on release but I'd say it's worth checking out.