• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on May 22, 2015, 01:24:47 AM
Just finished a marathon run of Werner Herzog's "Aguirre: The Wrath of God" (1972) and his epic "Fitzcarraldo" (1982). Magnificent movies. If you haven't seen them look into the circumstances of the filming of the movies before watching. They were filmed under truly brutal conditions.

I just bought both of those off Amazon.  Plan on watching them soon. Never saw them before but I've read about them.  I love movies about conquistadors.

I saw Nosferatu, The Vampyre years ago but I thought it was rather redundant.  Kinski is a very bizarre-looking man but he is very handsome compared to Max Schreck in the original.

LOL.  I found this video on youtube.   Kinski really tears into the interviewer telling her she's an idiot and why does she ask stupid questions.  Can you imagine Noory interviewing Kinski?  Kinski would rip Jorch a new one and hang up within 5 minutes,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enk9NgIiu00

Albemuth

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on June 04, 2015, 08:42:18 AM
Svengoolie has slowly become part of my routine. Corny humor, interesting movie history trivia, both good and bad older movies. The show perhaps provides some counterbalance to the negative news items I sometimes absorb. Initially, I was a bit dismissive of the show when I first started picking it up on MeTV, until I realized I was being a reed that wasn't bending and taking myself far too seriously. Instead of thinking he didn't measure up to MST3K or Elvira, I experienced my own little gnosis and saw Svegoolie was just a different method of delivery and a "nicer" person than I had expected. A brand new (to me) filter to enjoy.

Svengoolie is Tai Chi popcorn for the brain. At least in my case.

I’m still smitten with the idea of free/Over-the-air TV after years of paying good money for crap/pay TV (because I thought I had to.) Also, for me there’s the nostalgia element of waiting around for the Saturday monster movies with your regional Horror movie host. In the Twin Cities we had “Horror Incorporated” (sometimes hosted, sometimes not.)

•   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lW55QeVv_k
•   Zacherle is still alive last time I checked. He’s 96 years old (hope I don’t jinx him.)

Quote from: Albemuth on June 04, 2015, 11:49:43 AM
I’m still smitten with the idea of free/Over-the-air TV after years of paying good money for crap/pay TV (because I thought I had to.) Also, for me there’s the nostalgia element of waiting around for the Saturday monster movies with your regional Horror movie host. In the Twin Cities we had “Horror Incorporated” (sometimes hosted, sometimes not.)

Zacherle is still alive last time I checked. He’s 96 years old (hope I don’t jinx him.)

Art Bell is a spring chicken compared to Zacherle. 

I don't think it has truly dawned on Premier how very long Bell could chop their tree.

http://www.zacherley.com/

ItsOver

Quote from: Albemuth on June 04, 2015, 11:49:43 AM

•   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lW55QeVv_k
•   Zacherle is still alive last time I checked. He’s 96 years old (hope I don’t jinx him.)

Yep, with all the OTA options in major metros, who needs to pay for a bucket full of crap.  MeTV, GetTV, RetroTV, AntennaTV.... it's like having a time machine back to the golden age, PK (Pre-Kardashian).   Note, Movies! has Popcorn movies on Saturday afternoon.  It's not always horror or scifi but sometime it is.  They even showed, brace yourself, that Danish SciFi classic "Reptilicus!"  What's better than hot Danish chicks, hammy acting, and a monster that grows from a chunk of flesh!  I'm going to enjoy it until the money-grubbing corporate suits decide they have to screw it up.

nextgen.fm

Quote from: ItsOver on June 04, 2015, 01:34:18 PM
Yep, with all the OTA options in major metros, who needs to pay for a bucket full of crap.  MeTV, GetTV, RetroTV, AntennaTV.... it's like having a time machine back to the golden age, PK (Pre-Kardashian).   Note, Movies! has Popcorn movies on Saturday afternoon.  It's not always horror or scifi but sometime it is.  They even showed, brace yourself, that Danish SciFi classic "Reptilicus!"  What's better than hot Danish chicks, hammy acting, and a monster that grows from a chunk of flesh!  I'm going to enjoy it until the money-grubbing corporate suits decide they have to screw it up.

Yes, CBS even rolled out their own retroTV network recently called Decades.

chefist

Quote from: ItsOver on June 04, 2015, 01:34:18 PM

I haven't had pay tv for over 3 years...I bought a good antennae and my neighbor let me install it on his 2 story house (mine is single)...now we both have over 20 channels here in Tucson and no bills!

coaster

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 04, 2015, 11:29:39 AM
LOL.  I found this video on youtube.   Kinski really tears into the interviewer telling her she's an idiot and why does she ask stupid questions.  Can you imagine Noory interviewing Kinski?  Kinski would rip Jorch a new one and hang up within 5 minutes,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enk9NgIiu00
Kinski. Man, what a nut. "I vant my opera house!" I heard while they were filming Fitzcarraldo, local tribesman came up to Herzog and offered to kill Kinski.

paladin1991

Quote from: Jackstar on June 04, 2015, 05:48:30 AM
After what seems like multiple years of having little to no interest in ever again becoming a consumer of any new episodic television, I discovered Vicious, which I find delightfully entertaining in ways too exotic to describe.

In a non-exotic effort to share this with you, I found two promotional trailers on YouTube, and they both sucked. And apparently the masses agreed, as I then found the entire first episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlVFDGAoY-w

You should watch it forthwith for reasons that will presently become obvious.

Canned laughter and viscious queens.  Not exactly gay are they?

Thanks Jackyboy for finding that little turd.

Oh yeah.  Welcome back. 

Question, did you get notified via PM that you were now allowed back into the sandbox?  Or did you just wander back in by chance?

Jackstar

Quote from: paladin1991 on June 04, 2015, 03:31:12 PM
Canned laughter and viscious queens.  Not exactly gay are they?

If you can't appreciate the irony of Gandalf attempting to rape Sansa Stark's rapist, I don't know what to tell you. There is no joy in your heart.

Question, did you get notified via PM that you were now allowed back into the sandbox?  Or did you just wander back in by chance?

Don't call it a comeback--I never left. You can't stop the signal.

yumyumtree

Strawberry Blonde 1941
Cake 2014
A Walk Among the Tombstones 2014
Passion Fish 1992
Cutbank 2014
Safe 1995

I'm afraid I didn't like A Walk Among the Tombstones as much as the  other person who posted about here recently. But it wasn't a complete waste of time and money.  I can't say that about Cutbank, which must be one of the worst movies I've seen in months, years, probably.

Now about Dr. Phibes.  I have a friend who seldom watches movies made after 1960. But he makes a few exceptions.  One is for Dr. Phibes.  He had gotten me to watch The Abominable Dr. Phibes several years ago and I was underwhelmed.  The other night we were sitting around trying to decide what to watch, and I thought I should give Dr. Phibes another try. I still don't like it as much as he does, but am beginning to appreciate them a little more.  I suspect that Michael Jackson watched these, and that's one of the reasons Vincent Price was in one of his videos.

yumyumtree

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 04, 2015, 10:49:59 AM
Well I just found this thread.  I just watched 2 movies with Douglas Fairbanks.  The Nut and The Three Musketeers both from 1921.  Both feature a stunning actress, Barbara La Marr.  She played Milady de Winter in the 3 Musketeers. Leo B. Mayer renamed Hedy Lamarr after Barbara.  She was a wild cat who only slept 2 hours a night and had many lovers. Barbara died tragically in 1926 at age 29 apparently from tuberculosis.

Anyway the films were very good but not Fairbanks' best.  So far of the ones I have seen, my favorites of his are The Black Pirate (1926) , The Gaucho (1927), and A Modern Musketeer (filmed in 1917 at the Grand Canyon and Canyon de Chelly).
Yes, I've heard of her.  Some of these silent-era stars were very Colorful.

paladin1991

Quote from: Jackstar on June 04, 2015, 10:13:56 PM
If you can't appreciate the irony of Gandalf attempting to rape Sansa Stark's rapist, I don't know what to tell you. There is no joy in your heart.

Don't call it a comeback--I never left. You can't stop the signal.
A Serenity reference.  You're okay in my book, pal.

coaster

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on June 05, 2015, 05:51:26 PM
Gran Torino (2008)
I am a huge Eastwood fan, but this movie.. He said he wanted legit Hmong actors. That's all well and good. But couldn't he find some that could act?

Sense8.

just started episode 4. i'm liking it so far. although the wet, gooey strap on dropping to the floor may have been a bit much.  ;D

paladin1991

Quote from: Evil Twin Of Zen on June 06, 2015, 12:45:10 AM
Sense8.

just started episode 4. i'm liking it so far. although the wet, gooey strap on dropping to the floor may have been a bit much.  ;D
Is this a Falkie video series?

zeebo

Quote from: Aussie Dave on June 06, 2015, 02:14:05 AM
The Castle (1997)

An Aussie pal I met while travelling years ago got me to watch that.  I still giggle when I think of certain parts in that movie.

jazmunda

Quote from: Aussie Dave on June 06, 2015, 02:14:05 AM
The Castle (1997)

It's one of my favourite movies of all time.

Quote from: zeebo on June 06, 2015, 01:12:21 PM
An Aussie pal I met while travelling years ago got me to watch that.  I still giggle when I think of certain parts in that movie.

I'm surprised a non-Aussie got some of the Aussie-centric humour in this movie. I'm glad you liked it zeebo.

How's the serenity?

albrecht

Quote from: jazmunda on June 06, 2015, 04:26:03 PM
It's one of my favourite movies of all time.

I'm surprised a non-Aussie got some of the Aussie-centric humour in this movie. I'm glad you liked it zeebo.

How's the serenity?
I had a friend, non-Aussie, also who made me watch "The Castle" 1997 also. It was hilarious. What part of the movie are foreigners not able to "get?" I'm curious, since its been awhile since I have seen it but I don't recall not "getting" something-- but that would be the point, I wouldn't know if I missed something.

jazmunda

Quote from: albrecht on June 06, 2015, 04:34:43 PM
I had a friend, non-Aussie, also who made me watch "The Castle" 1997 also. It was hilarious. What part of the movie are foreigners not able to "get?" I'm curious, since its been awhile since I have seen it but I don't recall not "getting" something-- but that would be the point, I wouldn't know if I missed something.

I have no idea as I'm not a foreigner. I just assumed that some parts of movie/humour might not translate well to a foreign audience. I'm happy that I am wrong and my faith is restored.

albrecht

Quote from: jazmunda on June 06, 2015, 04:40:36 PM
I have no idea as I'm not a foreigner. I just assumed that some parts of movie/humour might not translate well to a foreign audience. I'm happy that I am wrong and my faith is restored.
So we can never really know if I "got it" or not! haha Anyway it was a fun movie and I was glad by buddy put in the VHS and said watch this (yes, I said VCR!)

Lt.Uhura

Quote from: Treading Water on May 31, 2015, 03:28:06 PM

...Just wish there would have been at least ONE strategically placed tear in that wet, muscle-hugging t-shirt....     ::)

I think I'll go re-watch The Scorpion King now....

Lol...He's a natural hero.  He even rescues cats!

SciFiAuthor

Mad Max: Fury Road. While there's a very obvious and rather weird feminist bent to this movie it otherwise absolutely rips your face off. I have no idea how 70 year-old George Miller did it, especially without Mel Gibson, but he made a movie that exceeds previous installments of Mad Max 30 years after they were made. I've never seen that before where a fourth movie in a franchise ends up as the best one.

If you like Mad Max movies, you can't afford not to see this one on the big screen. If you like action movies (which I generally don't) the Fast and Furious movies (which I hate) look like a walk in the flower garden in comparison. And Miller did it almost entirely without CGI.

It might also be outright the craziest movie I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsirxA_cso4

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 04, 2015, 10:59:39 AM
I just bought both of those off Amazon.  Plan on watching them soon. Never saw them before but I've read about them.  I love movies about conquistadors.

I saw Nosferatu, The Vampyre years ago but I thought it was rather redundant.  Kinski is a very bizarre-looking man but he is very handsome compared to Max Schreck in the original.

Let me know what you think. There are NOT enough movies out there about conquistadors. I've read a number of accounts of various expeditions into North and South America that would make amazing stories.

I like Nosferatu, but yeah, I'm not sure Murnau's original needed an update.

albrecht

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on June 06, 2015, 10:53:05 PM
Let me know what you think. There are NOT enough movies out there about conquistadors. I've read a number of accounts of various expeditions into North and South America that would make amazing stories.

I like Nosferatu, but yeah, I'm not sure Murnau's original needed an update.
Being, I guess, a cynic I was worried about the new Mad Max, so haven't seen but based on your review I will. I figured there is no way a modern movie could get away with the violence, misogyny, homosexual, new-wave sound, and general grittiness these days, and tragic themes of the original especially from a Hollywood production. But I will see based on your review and what I've heard.

Regarding Conquistador films (and books.) Yes. More should be made and written. Crazy awesome history, for good or ill. Herzog made great ones (as talked about before) but more should be made. I worry, though, on political correctness and revisionism (on all sides.) I recall a Ian show on C2C about the 'Lost City of Z' with an author of a book about it has been taken up by Hollywood now. Apparently a Brad Pitt vehicle last I heard. That show, and book, were excellent. Hope the movie does justice.