• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

Albemuth

After hearing about it for most of my life… Finally got around to watching: The French Connection (currently on NetFlix) with  Gene Hackman and Roy Schneider…What a great film…gritty, trash strewn scenes of New York City circa the early seventies, sleazy bars and neighborhoods â€" almost gives it a documentary feel…and best of all a realistic ending (w/o giving it away) â€" that makes the point that even in 1970 â€" The War on Drugs was an un-winnable joke…

albrecht

Quote from: Albemuth on March 16, 2015, 01:40:45 PM
After hearing about it for most of my life… Finally got around to watching: The French Connection (currently on NetFlix) with  Gene Hackman and Roy Schneider…What a great film…gritty, trash strewn scenes of New York City circa the early seventies, sleazy bars and neighborhoods â€" almost gives it a documentary feel…and best of all a realistic ending (w/o giving it away) â€" that makes the point that even in 1970 â€" The War on Drugs was an un-winnable joke…
The French Connection II is also pretty good. If you like that type of movie also "The Seven Ups" (1973) with Roy Schneider is good (great car chase! And if you like Roy and Freidkin "Sorcerer" (1977) is an awesome movie. Although a remake of "Wages of Fear" it stands alone on its on. Gritty, tense, and exciting.

Quote from: albrecht on March 16, 2015, 02:34:38 PM
The French Connection II is also pretty good. If you like that type of movie also "The Seven Ups" (1973) with Roy Schneider is good (great car chase! And if you like Roy and Freidkin "Sorcerer" (1977) is an awesome movie. Although a remake of "Wages of Fear" it stands alone on its on. Gritty, tense, and exciting.

I liked Sorcerer better than Wages of Fear. Wages' political leaning were too heavy-handed for me.

paladin1991

Quote from: albrecht on March 16, 2015, 01:15:40 PM
I liked Wick but certainly the "Death Wish" movies were better. Especially as they got more cheesy with each film in the franchise, especially the stereotyped clothing worn by the "punks" and gang-members. They look so silly now. I would find it hard not to laugh if confronted by a criminal wearing such outfits!
Would you laugh before or after you shot the vicious little fucks?

coaster

John wick was horrible. I was sucked into watching "The Cobbler". A new one from Adam Sandler so you know its going to be thought provoking...Lets just say, I'm glad I brought my flask to the movie theater. Also, she will not be getting a call back.

WildCard

"If you’ve spent any time on the Internet today, then you know that people are freaking out about the final episode of HBO’s docu-series “The Jinx,” in large part owing to what was maybe the most insane hot-mic utterance of all time."
http://www.salon.com/2015/03/16/7_amazing_true_crime_documentaries_to_cure_the_jinx_hangovers/

WATCH: Robert Durst Seemingly Confesses to Having ââ,¬ËœKilled Them Allââ,¬â,,¢ in HBOââ,¬â,,¢s The Jinx Finale
"What the hell did I do? Killed them all, of course."

b_dubb

Quote from: albrecht on March 16, 2015, 01:15:40 PM
I liked Wick but certainly the "Death Wish" movies were better. Especially as they got more cheesy with each film in the franchise, especially the stereotyped clothing worn by the "punks" and gang-members. They look so silly now. I would find it hard not to laugh if confronted by a criminal wearing such outfits!
Have you seen "The Warriors"? That was NY during the 80's from what I'm told. And you did not fuck around with those gangs.

albrecht

Quote from: b_dubb on March 16, 2015, 09:50:10 PM
Have you seen "The Warriors"? That was NY during the 80's from what I'm told. And you did not fuck around with those gangs.
Have I seen 'The Warriors'? I even have the book and got the screen-play as a gift once because I love the movie so much. A great movie. And another movie with many edits depending on where you watch it (country, movie theater, television, VHS, dvd, etc and even on tv one can catch different versions.) However, I don't like the reissue with the comicbook stuff, bordering on hate it. The extras and interviews are worth it but as for watching the movie avoid the latest version with the comix.
CAN YOU DIG IT???

pyewacket

A fun comedy-The Hundred-Foot Journey. A family moves from India to a small village in the south of France. They open a restaurant and this starts a stiff competition with the established restaurant across the street. Helen Mirren stars in this film and is one of my favorites. I enjoy comedy when it's done well.

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on March 16, 2015, 11:47:27 PM
Stephen King's A Good Marriage (2014)

I watched that over the weekend.  I was kinda' disappointed.  I really don't connect the book with the movie.  I figure it stops being the "book" once it's sold. 
But I had a very hard time with the retired detective character.  I found him unbelievable and very unlikable. He was a big distraction to me. 
I thought Anthony LaPaglia was an example of perfect casting. And Joan Allen is no slouch, either.   ;)

Birdman (2014)
The Theory of Everything (2014)

Quote from: Treading Water on March 19, 2015, 04:50:40 PM
I was kinda' disappointed. 
Me too. I love Joan Allen, and liked her performance when she convincingly addressed the problem. But largely/mostly, the movie failed to capture anywhere near the engagement I felt when I read the story. Not even close.

There are many other King stories I would choose instead of A Good Marriage for motion picture adaptation. I'm wondering if the film version of Big Driver is any good. It was a great read.

Took a break from my GoT binge last night to watch Now, Voyager.
"Cigarette, Aunt Charlotte?' 
"Thank you."

Now I'm off the the Blackwater.
"What DO we have?"
"Pig shit."

;)

zeebo

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on March 22, 2015, 01:57:38 AM
Heist (2001)

Just caught this again.  I remember seeing it in the theaters when it first came out.  Little gem of a movie imho.

Battleground
From Stephen King's Nightmares & Dreamscapes series (2006)

Quote from: zeebo on March 22, 2015, 12:51:35 PM
Just caught this again.  I remember seeing it in the theaters when it first came out.  Little gem of a movie imho.

I had never seen it. I thought it was enjoyable, too. I am now an official fan of Rebecca Pidgeon.  ;)  She was magnetic.

Another plus was well known magician Ricky Jay being in it.

Quote from: Treading Water on March 22, 2015, 07:23:04 AM
Took a break from my GoT binge last night to watch Now, Voyager.
"Cigarette, Aunt Charlotte?' 
"Thank you."
;)

Love that film. They played the score today on the radio, I forgot how good it was.

"Oh Jerry, don't let's ask for the moon. We have the stars."

Pretty daring for it's time.

zeebo

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on March 22, 2015, 04:28:54 PM
...I had never seen it. I thought it was enjoyable, too. I am now an official fan of Rebecca Pidgeon.  ;)  She was magnetic.

Another plus was well known magician Ricky Jay being in it.

If you don't know about it already, there's an earlier and also worthwhile Mamet flick which has them both in it - The Spanish Prisoner (1997).

pate

Quote from: albrecht on March 17, 2015, 10:32:52 AM
Have I seen 'The Warriors'? I even have the book and got the screen-play as a gift once because I love the movie so much. A great movie. And another movie with many edits depending on where you watch it (country, movie theater, television, VHS, dvd, etc and even on tv one can catch different versions.) However, I don't like the reissue with the comicbook stuff, bordering on hate it. The extras and interviews are worth it but as for watching the movie avoid the latest version with the comix.
CAN YOU DIG IT???

But have you played the damn Xbox game incessantly in my living room until the filth of your existence extends just beyond the radius of MY easy chair?  Have you used a timeless antique as a coffee table for your PBR?

Have you not paid rent until I joined the Army because it was "easier" than throwing your worthless ass out?  ARRGH!

But seriously, if it hadn't been for all that, I'd never have purchased some movies while in training...  "The Warriors" & "Red Dawn" among the many...

Why do I still have "The Warriors"?  Awesome movie, much like Troma's "Surf Nazis Must Die," but why (and perhaps "The Warriors" is better than Surf Nazis) and why, why, why do I still have in my possession (among other thangs) "The Warriors" & my ORIGINAL DVD of "Red Dawn" is gone?

I leave that to the reader/listener...

More importantly, I recently viewed "Paycheck" on Netflix!

An awesome story by Phillip K Dick (this message brought to you by BladeRunner &tal).

I honestly thought I'd seen it, I know I've read it...  I guess at the time I thought I'd "seen it" I figured this was yet another Tom Cruise rip-off...

Lawdy NO, 'twas worse:  a Be Affect "RWED SOKS" rip-off!  Good one...

Entartainting, but not really true that I can recall...  "E" for effort, but "D" for disappointing.

(Siskel I apologive for channeling you...)

edit: Spamtastic Trailer of above mentioned abomination:

Paycheck - Trailer

zeebo

Quote from: pate on March 23, 2015, 01:13:10 AM
...More importantly, I recently viewed "Paycheck" on Netflix!

An awesome story by Phillip K Dick (this message brought to you by BladeRunner &tal)....

I thought it was pretty fun (a good Friday nite drink-some-beers-with kinda flick), but I never read the PKD story so can't compare.

pate

I watched this in the late 1980's but I am eagerly awaiting for Netflix to offer this timeless classic up:

Logan's Run Official Trailer #1 - Michael York Movie (1976) HD

As I recall, I loved the ending with the old guy in the capitol...  hehe...

So, not really looking for the NetFlix to offer it up, I even looked for it on AmazonPrime...

I think it was a book or short story, but I've yet to read it... 

I'd still like to see my ninety-year-old take on the film...

edit: hehe, my ninety-year-old take on the brief bit I saw was in the CREDITS:  did I see "Farrah Fawcett-Majors" as in Lee Majors of the "Six Million Dollar Man"???  Hehe, you learn something new everyday!

The Six Million Dollar Man TV Intro

!!!!!

so much more than awesome, and so much more than NOT LIKELY that NetFlicks ever offers up "Logan's Run"

:endEdit

Trying to think of another word instead of "binge" to describe my viewing disorder of the week.

Over the next few days, watching all the other episodes of Nightmares & Dreamscapes (2006), adapted from Stephen King stories:

Crouch End
Umney's Last Case
The End of the Whole Mess
The Road Virus Heads North
The Fifth Quarter
Autopsy Room Four
You Know They Got a Hell of a Band

I'm looking forward the most to The End of the Whole Mess, which I read  when it first appeared in OMNI magazine.

Of all the extinct printed magazines, I miss OMNI the most. It was a feast of hype, coolness, and contradictory speculation. While they somehow overlooked putting Big Steve's name on the front cover of the issue containing the aforementioned story, they did point out you could WIN A TRIP TO OUTER SPACE (HONEST!)

Right.

zeebo

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on March 23, 2015, 11:45:01 AM
...Of all the extinct printed magazines, I miss OMNI the most. It was a feast of hype, coolness, and contradictory speculation. ...

Me too, I read it for years.  Such a cool mag.  Every month I'd marvel at the cover art and read it cover to cover.  Nothing really ever took its place. 

Wired was kind of like it in its early days but not nearly as good, and nowadays in it's grip of Facebook/Twitter fanboy-ism I never read it anymore.

Trying to think of another word instead of "binge" to describe my viewing disorder of the week.

Over the next few days, watching all the other episodes of Nightmares & Dreamscapes (2006), adapted from Stephen King stories:

Crouch End
Umney's Last Case
The End of the Whole Mess
The Road Virus Heads North
The Fifth Quarter
Autopsy Room Four
You Know They Got a Hell of a Band

I'm looking forward the most to The End of the Whole Mess, which I read  when it first appeared in OMNI magazine.

Of all the extinct printed magazines, I miss OMNI the most. It was a feast of hype, coolness, and contradictory speculation. While they somehow overlooked putting Big Steve's name on the front cover of the issue containing the aforementioned story, they did point out you could WIN A TRIP TO OUTER SPACE (HONEST!)

I loved that magazine, too. 
And, Cam!!  Where are you watching those episodes????  Can't believe I missed them.  I did real all the books.  The old ones, anyway.   8)

Eddie Coyle

Eventually, Coyle will be found dead under an avalanche of reading materials that the decedent packrat had gathered since about 1979. And a collection of OMNI, Fate and Spy will among the items that crushed the corpulent urban hermit.

A July 1987 issue of Oui apparently provided the Coup de grace.

Quote from: Treading Water on March 23, 2015, 02:41:00 PM
I loved that magazine, too. 
And, Cam!!  Where are you watching those episodes????  Can't believe I missed them.  I did real all the books.  The old ones, anyway.   8)

I am renting the three DVD set from Netflix. Unsure if it is available via their streaming service.

I serendipitously found out about the series because of my response to you when talking about A Good Marriage

I was about to respond to you with "I would rather have seen a film adaptation of The End of the Whole Mess than A Good Marriage, when I realized I should check to see if it had already been done, instead of assuming it had not.

So you are not the only one who was unaware the series existed.  8)

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on March 23, 2015, 03:05:53 PM
    Eventually, Coyle will be found dead under an avalanche of reading materials that the decedent packrat had gathered since about 1979. And a collection of OMNI, Fate and Spy will among the items that crushed the corpulent urban hermit.

A July 1987 issue of Oui apparently provided the Coup de grace.

Any drug dusted issues of Heavy Metal inside that murderous paper mountain as it extends a slowly creeping gravity-fed foot like some juggernaut amoeba intent on your inevitable doom?

[attachimg=1]

Right.

Loved Omni! I read Analog and Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction and my older brother's old Fantasy and Science Fiction, but Omni was so glossy and classy. The stories were great, the artwork was memorable - my first glimpse of HR Giger's art before Alien came from Omni.  I had tears in my eyes when I whittled down my collection to five copies when I moved. It was a great magazine.  :'(

Quote from: zeebo on March 23, 2015, 01:58:02 PM
Me too, I read it for years.  Such a cool mag.  Every month I'd marvel at the cover art and read it cover to cover.  Nothing really ever took its place. 

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on March 23, 2015, 05:38:42 PM
Loved Omni! I read Analog and Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction and my older brother's old Fantasy and Science Fiction, but Omni was so glossy and classy. The stories were great, the artwork was memorable - my first glimpse of HR Giger's art before Alien came from Omni.  I had tears in my eyes when I whittled down my collection to five copies when I moved. It was a great magazine.  :'(

Here's my obligatory old geezer comment. It's a predictable statement, but I just don't see any way around it:

I feel sorry for all the kids, teens, and younger adults growing up today who will never get to experience the joy of purchasing the latest, hefty issue of OMNI to take home and devour with an intensity matched only perhaps by John D. Allegro's focus as he studied tantalizing bits of the Dead Sea Scrolls.

(Though I doubt Mr. Allegro had Dr. Pepper and Cheetos at the ready. But you never know.)

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on March 23, 2015, 05:03:51 PM

Any drug dusted issues of Heavy Metal inside that murderous paper mountain as it extends a slowly creeping gravity-fed foot like some juggernaut amoeba intent on your inevitable doom?

[attachimg=1]

Sadly, no extant copies among the bits and pieces of that unsteady leaning monolith.

The soundtrack to the '81 film....yes.