• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on March 23, 2015, 06:00:44 PM
Here's my obligatory old geezer comment. It's a predictable statement, but I just don't see any way around it:

I feel sorry for all the kids, teens, and younger adults growing up today who will never get to experience the joy of purchasing the latest, hefty issue of OMNI to take home and devour with an intensity matched only perhaps by John D. Allegro's focus as he studied tantalizing bits of the Dead Sea Scrolls.

(Though I doubt Mr. Allegro had Dr. Pepper and Cheetos at the ready. But you never know.)

I used to haunt the newsstand every month for the latest issue. (What's a newstand? lol) I have to give Bob and Kathy Guccione a lot of credit - they put out a magazine that had people waiting on tenterhooks every month, and it rarely disappointed. I can still tick off stories that stayed with me for a long, long time and speculation that seemed outrageous at the time and commonplace now.

The Spanish Prisoner (1997)

When a naïve inventor develops a program worth billions, the company wolves come out to fleece him in this mystery from writer-director David Mamet.

Thanks for the tip, Zeebo.

pyewacket

Do series count? I've been watching The White Queen it's about the War of the Roses between the 2 royal bloodlines. I thought it was well done.

Went on to The Tudors beautiful people and wardrobes but they played hard and loose with history. I enjoyed them both and will move on to The Borgias next.

Any others in this time period that any of you would recommend?

yumyumtree

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on March 28, 2015, 01:47:34 AM
The Spanish Prisoner (1997)

When a naïve inventor develops a program worth billions, the company wolves come out to fleece him in this mystery from writer-director David Mamet.

Thanks for the tip, Zeebo.

If you like The Spanish Prisoner, you will really like House of Games, part of which was shot near  where I used to live in Seattle.

The Pacific

A 2010 HBO miniseries focusing on our Pacific campaign during the second World War. Brilliantly done. However, it is, at times, very difficult to watch. in fact, I was overcome with emotion and could not finish this mini series.

Quote from: yumyumtree on March 28, 2015, 05:33:59 PM
If you like The Spanish Prisoner, you will really like House of Games, part of which was shot near  where I used to live in Seattle.

Added.

With any luck, I will espy Tom Robbins as an unintentional extra in the Seattle frames while he was patiently working on Half Asleep In Frog Pajamas. Heh.

rzr1911

does anybody know the movie this is from? looks funny. might want to watch it.

onan

Quote from: rzr1911 on April 01, 2015, 05:24:19 AM

I am not an internet sleuth. I did three reverse image searches. The main reference is to a site called The Daily Sheeple. There were earlier references going back to 2010. But I found no info about any movie.

rzr1911

yeah. thanks for trying. I didn't find anything either. maybe it's not even a movie :)

Quote from: rzr1911 on April 01, 2015, 05:24:19 AM

It's from a music video by Viva Voce called "From the Devil Himself."

http://videos.antville.org/stories/1408218/

rzr1911

not a bad song.
you're Sherlock Holmes.
I've seen the Viva voce on the contract too, but didn't think it was worth to google.
I watched Bedazzled in the meantime. Satan looks damn hot in that movie.

http://youtu.be/5xUnFbyqNr4

Quote from: rzr1911 on April 01, 2015, 07:06:16 AM
not a bad song.
you're Sherlock Holmes.
I've seen the Viva voce on the contract too, but didn't think it was worth to google.
I watched Bedazzled in the meantime. Satan looks damn hot in that movie.

http://youtu.be/5xUnFbyqNr4

Initially, I dismissed investigating the contract, too, thinking it was a non specific prop, but like onan, had already dead ended at Sheeple and had to take a different approach.

Elizabeth Hurley in Bedazzled was really at her very be(a)st. Stunning.

albrecht

"Magic" (1978) with Anthony Hopkins. Burgess Meredith, and Ann-Margaret (va-va-voom).
'A ventriloquist is at the mercy of his vicious dummy while he tries to renew a romance with his high school sweetheart.'
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077889/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_91

sydtron

Atari: Game Over-2014

They go digging for the burried ET cartridges in the New Mexico desert.  Very interesting to video game nerds such as myself.

zeebo

Quote from: sydtron on April 03, 2015, 09:43:11 PM
Atari: Game Over-2014

They go digging for the burried ET cartridges in the New Mexico desert.  Very interesting to video game nerds such as myself.

Not admitting I'm a video game nerd, but hope it's as entertaining as King of Kong.  (Ok I'm a nerd.)

pyewacket

I watched The World's Fastest Indian staring Anthony Hopkins. It's based on a true event about 67 year-old Burt Munro who travelled from New Zealand to the Salt Flats of Utah to try for a record on his custom motorcycle.

Also watching the Doc Martin series- way better than House, MD.     

ks3484

• Leprechaun
• Leprechaun 2
• Leprechaun 3
• Leprechaun 4: In Space
• Leprechaun 5: In the Hood
• Leprechaun 6: Back 2 tha Hood

Roswells, Art

MirrorMask

It's by Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean.  It was pretty good.

Quote from: yumyumtree on April 07, 2015, 12:30:48 PM
The Maltese Falcon 1941

That one was pure dialogue.  I must be a little ADD because as I recall it was too much for me to follow.

Quote from: pyewacket on April 04, 2015, 09:02:54 PM
I watched The World's Fastest Indian staring Anthony Hopkins. It's based on a true event about 67 year-old Burt Munro who travelled from New Zealand to the Salt Flats of Utah to try for a record on his custom motorcycle.

Also watching the Doc Martin series- way better than House, MD.   

Doc Martin displays some amazing Eddie Coyle personality attributes when having to deal with those annoying patients.

For the next few days, I'm watching the final season of Boardwalk Empire, season 5, and taking a break during that binge by watching Jimmy Stuart in Harvey (1950).

b_dubb

Watching the Scientology documentary on HBO. Holy fuck.

zeebo

Quote from: ks3484 on April 05, 2015, 07:55:37 AM
• Leprechaun
• Leprechaun 2
• Leprechaun 3
• Leprechaun 4: In Space
• Leprechaun 5: In the Hood
• Leprechaun 6: Back 2 tha Hood

I have a friend who loves Lep 5, and I keep meaning to watch it but I only ever see Lep 1-4 on tv.   :(    There is a scene in one of those, I forget which one, where the li'l dude goes on a joy ride in a toy car he steals and is pulled over - it's pretty hilarious.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: b_dubb on April 08, 2015, 08:15:14 PM
Watching the Scientology documentary on HBO. Holy fuck.

I just watched it last night.  You might be interested in this eight minute video.  It is Hubbard's (elaraych's ) great grandson.

https://youtu.be/ciupsqkLLkQ?t=30s