• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Random stupid things on your mind. Post them.

Started by timpate, September 20, 2010, 07:56:24 PM

onan

Not that I was asked either... but hey.

Read to them every night, walk with them every day.

Never confuse fatherhood with friendship.

Quote from: onan on April 05, 2013, 07:58:39 PM
Not that I was asked either... but hey.

Read to them every night, walk with them every day.

Never confuse fatherhood with friendship.

Great suggestions.  We've not done any read-aloud in a few months -- gotta get back into that.  Walking ever day is a given!

McPhallus

That old saying about women always marrying their fathers is probably true, for better and for worse.

Quote from: MV on April 05, 2013, 07:43:55 PM

you didn't ask me, but i think the key to a girl growing into a healthy, balanced woman is to have a good relationship with her father.  most of the screwed up women i've known have had no relationship with their fathers or the relationship was screwed up in some way.  a girl being close to and receiving love from her dad is, i think, 90% of the battle.

Harmness

Quote from: MV on April 05, 2013, 11:15:16 AM

believe me... she's soooooo going to be able to manipulate me.  with a face like that, i don't know how i'll ever say no to her.

Yeah, you ain't got a chance.

Juan

Though I never had children, I have been in the position of managing interns and young women just out of college in the workplace.  I found those who had participated in sports or band fit fairly easily into the work environment.  Those who had not participated had a very hard time learning to work as part of a group (team).

Pragmier

MV and everyone else offered sound counsel.

Around when mine turned 13 things got a bit rocky but I was advised to keep calm, communicate, and the storm would pass - which is exactly what happened. Do not take their change in attitudes around that age to mean you are doing anything wrong. I am lucky to have a few female friends that offered perspective and forewarning. It's a balancing act to maintain discipline without being so overbearing that they stop coming to you in a time need.

Most kids turn out just fine.  That a parent is anticipating and asking questions is indicative the kid will turn out great.

Next week my kids are going by themselves to visit their grandparents for the first time (the grandparents always come here).  Flying to Seattle and driving over the mountains to Eastern Washington.  Heh, I'm trying to prepare them for a week of overcooked food with extra salt and butter.  When I got to college I was shocked how GOOD the cafeteria food was (more beef stroganoff?, yes, please!).

Quote from: Paper*Boy on April 06, 2013, 02:25:18 PM
Most kids turn out just fine.  That a parent is anticipating and asking questions is indicative the kid will turn out great.

Next week my kids are going by themselves to visit their grandparents for the first time (the grandparents always come here).  Flying to Seattle and driving over the mountains to Eastern Washington.  Heh, I'm trying to prepare them for a week of overcooked food with extra salt and butter.  When I got to college I was shocked how GOOD the cafeteria food was (more beef stroganoff?, yes, please!).

Have you been to Seattle yourself yet, Paperboy?  The Science Fiction Museum is there, and that is a very fun way to spend an afternoon!  They've got the original Enterprise bridge, various uniforms (like from Star Trek, of course, and the 70's Logan's Run movie.  I've got a special place for that movie in my heart; it was the first time I ever saw on-screen nudity.  Jenny Agutter -- hello, kitty!  :P)   They also have the actual alien animatronic robot (or whatever you'd call it).  Very impressive.

Quote from: West of the Rockies on April 06, 2013, 03:18:07 PM
Have you been to Seattle yourself yet, Paperboy?  The Science Fiction Museum is there, and that is a very fun way to spend an afternoon!  They've got the original Enterprise bridge, various uniforms (like from Star Trek, of course, and the 70's Logan's Run movie.  I've got a special place for that movie in my heart; it was the first time I ever saw on-screen nudity.  Jenny Agutter -- hello, kitty!  :P )   They also have the actual alien animatronic robot (or whatever you'd call it).  Very impressive.

I've been to Seattle plenty of times as a kid, always sort of figured I'd end up living there.  But it wasn't to be.  Last time I was there was 1989, is the Sci-fi museum at City Center near the Space Needle where the Music Museum is?  I told the kids to visit there before heading East.

stevesh

Isn't there one decent barber in all of North Korea ?

Eddie Coyle

When you haven't done a solitary(intentional) sit-up in about 4 years....perhaps a goal of 500 a day is a bit ambitious.

Also a key to remember that the things you did as a 185 pound 19 year old don't come about as easy to a 245 pound 37 year old.

Apparently English Barristers still wear powdered wigs made of horsehair. 

Oh sure, they sell new ones, but the most prized are the rattiest ones which are handed down from generation to generation.

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on April 08, 2013, 08:55:11 PM

When you haven't done a solitary(intentional) sit-up in about 4 years....perhaps a goal of 500 a day is a bit ambitious.

nah, i say let it rip.  then report here.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: MV on April 08, 2013, 09:52:34 PM

nah, i say let it rip.  then report here.
400 today, in four intervals of 100(5 sets of 20)

Kinda sore...but not horrible. Yet. I expect severe abdominal pain in the morning and perhaps death by noon.

McPhallus

Quote from: Pragmier on April 09, 2013, 07:24:55 PM
That's damn good.

Indeed, assuming no methamphetamines or anabolic steroids were involved.  I'd have a hard time doing 40.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: McPhallus on April 09, 2013, 07:57:56 PM
Indeed, assuming no methamphetamines or anabolic steroids were involved.  I'd have a hard time doing 40.
Quote from: Pragmier on April 09, 2013, 07:24:55 PM
That's damn good.

Thanks, I'm sore, and doing them sans drugs(as of right now) and it's not nearly as bad as I figured it would be, nor time consuming. 50 degree temps also making it easier, keeping this pace in the summer will be a challenge. But I really desperately crave "hip hop abs" :-[

My motivation? Seeing a picture from Easter where I looked like Kenny Powers meets David Crosby. The moral...don't let people take pictures of you.

Pragmier

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on April 09, 2013, 08:57:16 PM
  The moral...don't let people take pictures of you.

And especially with a ukulele.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Pragmier on April 09, 2013, 09:30:16 PM

And especially with a ukulele.
Aw, c'mon it's required to go from tip toeing through the tulips to pushing up daisies. That's the Jimi Hendrix of the ukulele there...and by that, I mean deceased.

coaster

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on April 08, 2013, 10:01:35 PM

Kinda sore...but not horrible. Yet. I expect severe abdominal pain in the morning and perhaps death by noon.
good for you. want to hear something really ironic? maybe its not ironic. But when I first joined, maybe it was a bit after,  you were ranting about people who went to the gym or worked out to get huge or something. Im inebriated, but I remember, because I was (was)a gym rat , and I remember that post. Im glad people are trying because I gave up. Can I say one thing though before you go explode your abdominals?
What Im asking is can you let a disgraced, once gym rat give you advice while hes drunk, that would make your load a lot easier?

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: coaster on April 09, 2013, 09:52:52 PM
good for you. want to hear something really ironic? maybe its not ironic. But when I first joined, maybe it was a bit after,  you were ranting about people who went to the gym or worked out to get huge or something. Im inebriated, but I remember, because I was (was)a gym rat , and I remember that post. Im glad people are trying because I gave up. Can I say one thing though before you go explode your abdominals?
What Im asking is can you let a disgraced, once gym rat give you advice while hes drunk, that would make your load a lot easier?

I never had a beef with the exercise crowd, it's the roider Hans and Franz types I loathed. My agoraphobia keeps me out of gyms anyway, but when I was forced to workout in weight rooms as a high school footballer, I really detested it, the "me lift, me strong, arrgh" mentality. I was a relatively strong kid, too, I don't how the weaker kids possibly survived that ordeal.

I am going to try this out on coastgab, because I've had discussions with a few of you on the subject of jazz fusion music.

I am leading a new jazz/fusion group. Here's a sample of our music:

https://soundcloud.com/mdoran13/20-minutes-into-the-future

I need more people to "like" my facebook page so I can use it.

So if you like this sort of music, go to www.facebook.com/blacklotusfusion and click "like."

Thanks

- mitch
www.mitchelljdoran.com

Marc.Knight

Quote from: stevesh on April 07, 2013, 04:18:41 PM
Isn't there one decent barber in all of North Korea ?

The bowl-cut is the only official hair cut allowed.  Those who step over the line with a different style receive a bowl-cut and then are shot.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: guildnavigator on April 10, 2013, 06:36:32 AM
I am going to try this out on coastgab, because I've had discussions with a few of you on the subject of jazz fusion music.

That's quite good, man.

Juan

MV/Liberace!

I need more people to "like" my facebook page so I can use it.

So if you like this sort of music, go to www.facebook.com/blacklotusfusion and click "like."

Thanks

- mitch
www.mitchelljdoran.com

i'm not a facebook user, but if you'd let me use some of your music as bumper music on my podcast, that should give you a little exposure (and give me some additional bumper music which i need).

The General

[size=78%]I am leading a new jazz/fusion group. Here's a sample of our music:[/size]

[size=78%]https://soundcloud.com/mdoran13/20-minutes-into-the-future[/size]

Nice work!

b_dubb

Clyde Lewis - Ground Zero show ... holy crap these listeners are paranoid. Makes Coast look well adjusted

Sardondi

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on April 08, 2013, 10:01:35 PM

Impressive for not having done anything in a long time.* It looks like you will be able to fit into that new bikini by Memorial Day!

* That's what just left my jaw agape about George and his brief...so very brief...foray into Insanity or p90X or whatever the hell kind of crazy SEAL-level-of-intensity exercise program it was that he made such a big deal out of starting last year. And it was over almost before he began. No shit, he lasted all of about 48 hours before he suddenly stopped recording his "progress" and silence descended about what a fantastic program it was, yadda yadda..

I can just hear George on the morning of Day 3 as Tommy rolled over and tried to shake George awake: "Go away, Tommy! I'm sick! I'm hurt! But it hurts, Tommy! I mean it, it hurts. I think I have a broken foot or something. Besides, they hate Lebanese - I can tell. They're mean, they yell at me, and they don't care if I die. I'm not going and that's final. I don't care how embarrassing it looks. Call the Numbers Lady to fill in for the exercise segment we had scheduled. If you can't get her then let Hoagland bloviate I guess, but only if Glynnis can't do it."

How the hell that doughy ball of motionless lard could ever think he could literally make his living by sitting on his butt for 30 years, when all the exercise he got was talking on the telephone, and then just waltz his sedentary, wide-load, lumpy ass into a seriously committed program like that is just beyond me. George reminds me of the wannabees from high-school who had no inkling of how hard it was and how many years of preparation it took to play football; who would say, "I think I'll go out for football this year", after never having done so and having no idea what was involved. And after the first 30 minutes of spring training, even though it's only shorts and t-shirts, they're seeing white, and are heaving up so much they pass their assholes out their nose. George had no idea what horrendously poor shape he was in, and how hard those programs are.