• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Coronavirus 2020

Started by MV/Liberace!, January 23, 2020, 11:29:38 PM

GravitySucks

Quote from: Taaroa on April 09, 2020, 09:50:39 PM
Cell phone service isn't particularly reflective of how good/developed a country is. You can't even get a decent signal in central London a large chunk of the time.

Yeah. That was kind of tongue in cheek.  I can’t say I’m a world traveler. Beside North and Central America and the Caribbean, the only countries I have been to are Switzerland, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Taiwan.  That’s probably way ahead of most Americans. I would say maybe 30 in all.  Having spent 8 years in the Air Force and 33 years in the space program, I am probably more familiar with the Russians and Chinese than most as well.

Not sure what defines a country as a superpower but I am pretty sure we are the only country that shows up in every corner of the world whenever there is a natural disaster that requires humanitarian assistance. People can say what they want about the US but we always seem to find the resources to help others in need.  The current state of affairs here has us preoccupied and lots of our human resources are engaged, but we would still find a way to help others if called upon.  I think that alone justifies us as a superpower. I hope we always keep that attitude.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on April 09, 2020, 10:00:40 PM
I guess this NYC.  It's like a Marx Brothers movie.

https://twitter.com/blue500000/status/1248450886612869122

The cop eventually caught him.  He should have wore Keds or PF Flyers.

Kidnostad3

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 09, 2020, 10:02:49 PM
Yeah. That was kind of tongue in cheek.  I can’t say I’m a world traveler. Beside North and Central America and the Caribbean, the only countries I have been to are Switzerland, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Taiwan.  That’s probably way ahead of most Americans. I would say maybe 30 in all.  Having spent 8 years in the Air Force and 33 years in the space program, I am probably more familiar with the Russians and Chinese than most as well.

Not sure what defines a country as a superpower but I am pretty sure we are the only country that shows up in every corner of the world whenever there is a natural disaster that requires humanitarian assistance. People can say what they want about the US but we always seem to find the resources to help others in need.  The current state of affairs here has us preoccupied and lots of our human resources are engaged, but we would still find a way to help others if called upon.  I think that alone justifies us as a superpower. I hope we always keep that attitude.

+1

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 09, 2020, 10:04:37 PM
The cop eventually caught him.  He should have wore Keds or PF Flyers.

He couldn't punch or run for shit. 

Kidnostad3

Quote from: aldousburbank on April 09, 2020, 09:17:38 PM
My boys think I’m going all Eddie Bravo but I’m thinking this is all a fucking hoax. I mean maybe there’s some novel viral agents out and about affecting people, fatal to some with pre-existing conditions. Pretty sure I had a bout of it myself. But we’re a bunch of fucking sheeple if we allow that to shut us down. I mean maybe maybe there’s something else going on that is even more frightening like radiological disseminating devices covertly scattered around urban areas thus justifying shelter in place directives. But I’m nearly convinced the story we’re being fed is bullshit. Obvious psyop is obvious.

Would you bet your ass on it?

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on April 09, 2020, 11:14:24 PM
Would you bet your ass on it?

I’d bet yours, fear monger.

Jojo

Quote from: WOTR on April 09, 2020, 12:04:26 AM
I don't know if you are slipping, or if I'm becoming fluent.

I have not needed to hire a "Pate to English" translator for a month or longer...
I had a chat with him, but hopefully didn't inhibit him too much.  I think you're technique is pretty smart, Pate.

Jojo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 09, 2020, 11:17:24 PM
I’d bet yours, fear monger.

Did I rob the cradle?  Are you under 45?  I know that's not a boomer #, though.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Jojo on April 09, 2020, 11:47:09 PM
Did I rob the cradle?  Are you under 45?  I know that's not a boomer #, though.

Jojo

Jojo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 09, 2020, 11:49:39 PM

Okay, that'll do.  But I'm just a couple years from a Boomer so I'm a little like them.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Jojo on April 09, 2020, 11:52:34 PM
Okay, that'll do.  But I'm just a couple years from a Boomer so I'm a little like them.

I would’ve killed you by now if you were. ;) :-*

Jojo

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on April 09, 2020, 09:06:45 PM
Damn.  I sure shit up this thread.  I'm not a Bellgabber of the Year candidate, just a character actor.  I'll fade away now.  Sorry folks.  8)
Uh, no.  In my opinion, you're fine.  Please don't hold back.

Jojo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 09, 2020, 11:53:28 PM
I would’ve killed you by now if you were. ;) :-*
I never really thought they were quite as bad as people have started to say.

WOTR

Quote from: K_Dubb on April 09, 2020, 05:51:07 PM
Some people I know in California have been using black ones they bought for wildfire smoke.  Cool looking, must be like mini respirators because they have what look like places for filter cartridges on each side.

I made a black one to look like them.  No one will be surprised that I have a sewing machine.

Almost certainly they are one way valves for exhalation. Part of the discomfort of wearing masks like the N-95 for extended periods is the moisture that builds on them form your exhalation. Also, if moisture builds, it would start to trap the ash floating around making a mud slurry on your mask. This way, you breath in the filtered air form the mask, but exhale through the one way check valves...

*Just my best guess...

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Jojo on April 09, 2020, 11:55:26 PM
I never really thought they were quite as bad as people have started to say.

One to one maybe not. Of course there are boomers that I like and respect but the reason for this sentiment is that collectively as a generation the following memes are pretty accurate:

Jojo

Quote from: albrecht on April 09, 2020, 08:01:10 PM

I'm suspicious of the TP and paper product industry. Odd differences- but is there- between product lines. Make some rolls too big for normal mounting. False dichotomies- "comfort" vs "strenght." And one even had a mini-roll where hole (and cardboard tube would be) for you take out "on the go" and put main roll on- but no cardboard roll.
Yes, the comfort vs strength thing is ridiculous.  Big rolls have gotten popular so some people are buying little stand up dispensers.  The one with no hole I believe is designed for business use on some spool.

My pet peeve is when the inner roll is so wide that you end up with a lot less paper and mostly a hole.

Jojo

Whoever wanted to know about Walmart, it's not that bad.

Last year they set up Robot Cop stations in the parking lots which have cameras and flashing blue lights.

Now, they use the loud speakers on the Robot Cops and store roof to remind customers to wash their hands.

They do monitor the doors more carefully.  I have not been made to wait yet.

They are closing early here, at 8:30PM.

Other than that, it seemed pretty normal.

WOTR

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on April 09, 2020, 09:06:45 PM
Damn.  I sure shit up this thread.  I'm not a Bellgabber of the Year candidate, just a character actor.  I'll fade away now.  Sorry folks.  8)

How, exactly, do you believe that you get nominated "bellgabber of the year" if it is not for shitting up threads? It is what makes this place feel like home.  ;)

WOTR

What am I supposed to fill my days with? Please don't go to national parks. Please don't go to work. Please don't leave your house unless it is to get food. When you are at home, please don't have anybody over. Please don't talk to your neighbour over the fence because you are too close.

Now I'm not supposed to do any DIY projects to make the house more livable, and I'm not supposed to garden either. Why? The headline reads: "Avoid DIY and gardening during coronavirus lockdown, urge doctors."

Just wow. I suppose that the optometrists would like me to stop reading at home in case I strain my eyes during this national emergency? Just sit and watch television like a good consumer / sheep.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/avoid-diy-gardening-during-coronavirus-21806479

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: WOTR on April 10, 2020, 12:26:08 AM
What am I supposed to fill my days with? Please don't go to national parks. Please don't go to work. Please don't leave your house unless it is to get food. When you are at home, please don't have anybody over. Please don't talk to your neighbour over the fence because you are too close.

Now I'm not supposed to do any DIY projects to make the house more livable, and I'm not supposed to garden either. Why? The headline reads: "Avoid DIY and gardening during coronavirus lockdown, urge doctors."

Just wow. I suppose that the optometrists would like me to stop reading at home in case I strain my eyes during this national emergency? Just sit and watch television like a good consumer / sheep.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/avoid-diy-gardening-during-coronavirus-21806479

Safety or freedom? Make your choice.

K_Dubb

Quote from: WOTR on April 09, 2020, 11:58:07 PM
Almost certainly they are one way valves for exhalation. Part of the discomfort of wearing masks like the N-95 for extended periods is the moisture that builds on them form your exhalation. Also, if moisture builds, it would start to trap the ash floating around making a mud slurry on your mask. This way, you breath in the filtered air form the mask, but exhale through the one way check valves...

*Just my best guess...

Hmm that would make sense since it was pointed out by a few spoilsports that these particular masks would do little to protect others which is the ostensible purpose of these non-medical masks, an issue some manufacturers (all sold out, of course) seem to be addressing by offering little filters to place over what you are calling valves.  I can sure relate to the humidity; my luxuriant mustaches wilt most terribly in my homemade job and may very well fall victim to this epidemic, causing at least a small amount of local mourning.

WOTR

I listened to the CBC state broadcaster on the way home from grabbing a few slices of pizza (yeah, I'm one of those bad people who still dared to go out and get fast food...) I don't think that I had listened to them since the start of this. In the space of 20 minutes, I learned that:

Orange man bad. He has been "scapegoating" the WHO for the last few days. They did everything correctly and acted with the best information available at the time.

Travel bans and boarder closures do not work. There is no point to them, and we should leave them open as it might actually increase the spread because countries feel secure when closing the boarder and don't test or prepare. Just leave them open, damnit!

Finally, countries with the best outcomes have citizens who trust their government. Countries with the worst do not. Look at Italy. It has the bad outcome because they have not had a stable government, the citizens don't trust science, and many of them do not get vaccinated.

Now, you may be wondering why a population that is anti-vaccination would factor into a virus with no vaccination. I think that I pieced it together. I think it is because if the are too stupid to be vaccinated, they don't trust their overlords and they are not very smart. Therefore, when their government told them to stay away from eachother, they were not obedient... I think.

Overall, it makes me realize that I should probably do whatever the government requests. I should probably allow them to track me 24/7 and report my every movement and social interaction to the ministry of trooth...  And listen to the CBC for my daily dose or propaganda more often.  ::)

WOTR

Quote from: K_Dubb on April 10, 2020, 12:48:38 AM
Hmm that would make sense since it was pointed out by a few spoilsports that these particular masks would do little to protect others which is the ostensible purpose of these non-medical masks, an issue some manufacturers (all sold out, of course) seem to be addressing by offering little filters to place over what you are calling valves.  I can sure relate to the humidity; my luxuriant mustaches wilt most terribly in my homemade job and may very well fall victim to this epidemic, causing at least a small amount of local mourning.

The entire country shall stand beside you (though 6 feet apart) and mourn.

GravitySucks

Quote from: WOTR on April 10, 2020, 01:46:25 AM
I listened to the CBC state broadcaster on the way home from grabbing a few slices of pizza (yeah, I'm one of those bad people who still dared to go out and get fast food...) I don't think that I had listened to them since the start of this. In the space of 20 minutes, I learned that:

Orange man bad. He has been "scapegoating" the WHO for the last few days. They did everything correctly and acted with the best information available at the time.

Travel bans and boarder closures do not work. There is no point to them, and we should leave them open as it might actually increase the spread because countries feel secure when closing the boarder and don't test or prepare. Just leave them open, damnit!

Finally, countries with the best outcomes have citizens who trust their government. Countries with the worst do not. Look at Italy. It has the bad outcome because they have not had a stable government, the citizens don't trust science, and many of them do not get vaccinated.

Now, you may be wondering why a population that is anti-vaccination would factor into a virus with no vaccination. I think that I pieced it together. I think it is because if the are too stupid to be vaccinated, they don't trust their overlords and they are not very smart. Therefore, when their government told them to stay away from eachother, they were not obedient... I think.

Overall, it makes me realize that I should probably do whatever the government requests. I should probably allow them to track me 24/7 and report my every movement and social interaction to the ministry of trooth...  And listen to the CBC for my daily dose or propaganda more often.  ::)

I remember when I viewed Canadians as a robust set of individualists that were self-sufficient almost to a fault.  Geez, I don’t listen to NPR but I bet they are spewing similar shit.

Italy got so bad so fast because Northern Italy has a large Chinese (not racist, that is what they are) population working in garment factories. The Chinese bought several brands, built factories and then staffed them with low paid Chinese laborers in order to be able to sell products to the EU that they could say was made in the EU. Italy did not enact a travel ban and travel continued between China, including Wuhan which created a perfect extension of what was happening in China. While people were speculating on why so many “Italians” were dying, no one mentioned the fact that there were Chinese dying in Italy.

Now I am not an eye witness to any of that, but I read it on the internet so it must be true.

I don’t know about Spain. I haven’t seen reports of Chinese-owned factories in Spain.

How was the pizza? 

WOTR

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 10, 2020, 02:48:03 AM
I remember when I viewed Canadians as a robust set of individualists that were self-sufficient almost to a fault.  Geez, I don’t listen to NPR but I bet they are spewing similar shit.

How was the pizza?

I like to believe that some of us still are... But fewer and fewer every year. I believe it is similar to Montana or Texas. Over the years we have got comfortable. We have had unhealthy ideas presented as fact and government programs to soften us.

Also, it is not really fair to use what the CBC says as an indication of what a Canadian is. It is more a reflection of what our government wants us to be. It is a radio station funded by the unlimited wealth of Canadian citizens that allows our government to tell us what we should be*

*And at one point, I used to think that there was value in the system... Maybe there was. But not any more.

The pizza was actually really good. It is not the best (you know- the lounges that make a great cheesy pizza and have been around for three decades.) But it is the best one for the late night, by the slice in the city...

Quote from: WOTR on April 10, 2020, 01:46:25 AM

It is the nature of things after all...........