• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

One Hundred Years Ago

Started by Rix Gins, January 01, 2016, 08:20:14 PM

Rix Gins

April 29, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., April 30, 1920.

Rix Gins

April 30, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

May 1, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

May 2, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

May 3, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., May 04, 1920.

Rix Gins

May 4, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., May 05, 1920.

Rix Gins

May 5, 1920.  Public Domain

WOTR

Quote from: Rix Gins on May 05, 2020, 01:56:04 AM

Again a street car rams a truck. Truck overturns. The driver who would not have had a seat belt presumably does a half twist and full rotation somersault in mid-air then sticks the landing for a judges overall score of 9.2 with no injuries.

Rix Gins

Quote from: WOTR on May 05, 2020, 02:34:50 AM
Again a street car rams a truck. Truck overturns. The driver who would not have had a seat belt presumably does a half twist and full rotation somersault in mid-air then sticks the landing for a judges overall score of 9.2 with no injuries.

Haha!  Remember that guy who jumped out of the hospital window?  He fell a number of floors into a flower bed.  He actually survived the fall, but passed away after they brought him back into the hospital. 

WOTR

Quote from: Rix Gins on May 05, 2020, 02:56:15 AM
Haha!  Remember that guy who jumped out of the hospital window?  He fell a number of floors into a flower bed.  He actually survived the fall, but passed away after they brought him back into the hospital.
I recall that post. Quite the story.

Rix Gins

May 6, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

May 7, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  May 8, 1920.

The Seattle Star

The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union.

Rix Gins

May 8, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

May 9, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress, May 10, 1920.

The Seattle Star

The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union

Rix Gins

May 10, 1920.  Public Domain

WOTR

Quote from: Rix Gins on May 10, 2020, 02:37:39 AM
The Seattle Star

The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union

I would love to actually taste how bad some of that old home brew must have been. No aging, no professional distiller, probably a good amount of "tails" so as not to waste any. It must have been absolutely disgusting...

And now for the "roughly 100 years ago" image.

Rix Gins

Quote from: WOTR on May 11, 2020, 12:42:13 AM
I would love to actually taste how bad some of that old home brew must have been. No aging, no professional distiller, probably a good amount of "tails" so as not to waste any. It must have been absolutely disgusting...

And now for the "roughly 100 years ago" image.

Some of those illustrations still apply to today.

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union, May 11, 1920.

Rix Gins

May 11, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., May 12, 1920.

Rix Gins

May 12, 1920.  Public Domain

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., May 13, 1920.

Rix Gins

May 13, 1920.  Public Domain

WOTR

Quote from: Rix Gins on May 13, 2020, 01:59:33 AM
From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus and Daily Union., May 13, 1920.

More of the invincible people... But the real gem is that they got away with "hundreds of dollars" in booze. I would love to know how many bottles. Today, "hundreds of dollars" would amount to a case of whiskey...

Rix Gins

Quote from: WOTR on May 13, 2020, 02:08:31 AM
More of the invincible people... But the real gem is that they got away with "hundreds of dollars" in booze. I would love to know how many bottles. Today, "hundreds of dollars" would amount to a case of whiskey...

I was wondering the same.  It sounded as if the night watchman was coming around on a regular basis.  That probably kept the burglars from absconding with the entire inventory of hooch.  Still, what they got away with probably amounted to a pretty penny.  After all, the black market could probably name their own price for the stuff.  Only doctors could write prescriptions to get booze legally, for medicinal purposes only.  I don't know if everybody catches that in the Gasoline Ally strips.  The fellows try to get the Doc character to write prescriptions up for them.