• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Richard C. Hoagland

Started by Richard C. Hoagland, July 20, 2008, 07:01:42 PM

ACE of CLUBS

'Ahhhh Richard ....... they look like rocks to me! ..... '

I just posted my latest (after a long hiatus) on Richard C, Hoagland's latest at enterprisemission.com...

http://interposemission.blogspot.com/2013/08/oh-thats-what-richard-c-hoagland-is.html

I didn't know that he's getting at... just saying.

Wintermute

Richard C. Hoagland 100% delusional and 100% addicted to making money through delusional ideas.

b_dubb

I like that he calls his site enterprise mission. it's the most honest thing a out him. His mission is enterprise. An undertaking to make money. That he provides no value at all to anyone, anywhere, ever is unfortunate. But that's why he's a fraud that begs for money on C2C

stenjay

I, for one, like listening to Hoagland because of his conviction.  I can't see a damn thing he does in those rock photos.  It's all just for fun.

coaster

Does anyone remember those funny Hitler videos from Youtube where he reacts to random things? I'm in the process of rendering one where he reacts to Richard Hoagland. I think its pretty funny. I'll post it as soon as its done rendering.

stevesh

I just add 'wouldn't it be cool if' in my mind to everything Hoagie says. I'm pretty sure he does, too. I think he's pretty much harmless, and can be entertaining in a 'mad scientist' kind of way.

Lunger

Hoagy is harmless and a bit entertaining.  He always takes such a circuitous route to find his point that in the end I have no idea what the hell he is trying to say. 

I always end up wondering to myself, "Has he actually said anything?"

Wintermute

Richard C. Hoagland...

"As you know George"... "As you and the coast audience is well aware of George"... "And that is where I am going with this George"...

Trivial pseudo-sci; it's not even pseudo-sci that gets people thinking. It's the kind of stuff kids hear and laugh and adults hear and say "Your crazy uncle Melvin used to say stuff like that before he went to the asylum". He's a nut-ball out for the cash.

The really crazy thing is, Hoagland had a legit career doing some interesting media things until he went all Trekkie in the 1970's and then went fringe in the 1980's-today. The guy has some skills and was on a best seller list with that NASA book. ???? He could be legit, but he CHOOSES not to be. Which tells me everything I want to know about him.

Grov505th

Yes, that he can make more money with the fringe pseudoscience then a legit real world book.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Wintermute on August 14, 2013, 08:21:00 AM
Richard C. Hoagland...

"As you know George"... "As you and the coast audience is well aware of George"... "And that is where I am going with this George"...

everything I want to know about him.

It's a mutual appreciation thing they have going on; both know that Hoagland is talking crap, Hoagland knows his intended audience will warm to the perception they're "in the know", and that Geeeorge will pander to whatever he says with appropriate noises and approval..Both know George is far too complicit in the crap to now say it's crap..Hoagland comes on, the advertisers are happy because the audience goes up, why kill the golden goose? However, another station (Or TV show), a couple of real scientists with real qualifications and using real facts to present would scare the shit out of Hoagland and his partner in crap Bara; So it isn't going to happen.

b_dubb

RCH is harmless if you're smart enough to recognize him as a fraud. It's the people out there who are mentally ill or intellectually limited that fall prey to his fundraising pleas.

He's a parasite

Grov505th

Quote from: b_dubb on August 14, 2013, 02:36:00 PM
RCH is harmless if you're smart enough to recognize him as a fraud. It's the people out there who are mentally ill or intellectually limited that fall prey to his fundraising pleas.

He's a parasite

Your right, but one of the major issues is that he has a show that he can get on and spout his ideas on and NOT BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE or made SCIENCE ADVISORY for.
I was really hoping Art wouldn't have him on, Hoagie is such a Asshat.\

Uncle Duke

Anyone know what Hoagland's academic credentials are?  I've seen this question raised on a few different websites, but I've never seen any definitive answer. 

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Uncle Duke on August 17, 2013, 06:39:22 AM
Anyone know what Hoagland's academic credentials are?  I've seen this question raised on a few different websites, but I've never seen any definitive answer.

If he were only lacking in academic credentials it wouldn't be so bad--I know several truly brilliant people and none have a degree of any sort; but with Hoagland and his ilk, it's the way he simply refuses to acknowledge science as a concept, and pushes (as does Bara) his bullshit and presents it (aided and abetted by Noory) as fact. There's a world of difference between not having a certificate to prove something, and doing what Hoagland does.

Even worse is his ego and arrogance.  On top of the same old bullshit going well into 2 decades on Coast now.

Like Noory, I can't even stand the sound of his voice anymore.

Does Art Bell truly think people still want to hear these tired retreads - Whitley, Hoagland, Dames?  And pay for the privilege?  Really?

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on August 17, 2013, 07:35:23 AM

If he were only lacking in academic credentials it wouldn't be so bad--I know several truly brilliant people and none have a degree of any sort; but with Hoagland and his ilk, it's the way he simply refuses to acknowledge science as a concept, and pushes (as does Bara) his bullshit and presents it (aided and abetted by Noory) as fact. There's a world of difference between not having a certificate to prove something, and doing what Hoagland does.

Understand those sentiments, but my original question relative to his academic credentials still stands for anyone who knows the answer. 

onan

Quote from: Uncle Duke on August 17, 2013, 08:52:54 AM
Understand those sentiments, but my original question relative to his academic credentials still stands for anyone who knows the answer.

I think Expat or Astroguy (sp) posted in this thread a while back. What I remember is no verifiable credentials past high school. The HS diploma was a requirement for his position at a local history museum... I may have it wrong.

Read his book and you will come to the conclusion there is little formal post secondary education.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: onan on August 17, 2013, 09:04:18 AM
I think Expat or Astroguy (sp) posted in this thread a while back. What I remember is no verifiable credentials past high school. The HS diploma was a requirement for his position at a local history museum... I may have it wrong.

Read his book and you will come to the conclusion there is little formal post secondary education.

"Stunning confirmation" and "What I've been saying for thirty years George" don't count then? But yes, Expat and Astroguy I think know; and what a debate that would be worth listening to in the same room! With powerpoint presentations and everything.  :)

Uncle Duke

No surprise he has no college degree, in fact that's why I asked the question.

I'd still like to find someone who remembers seeing Hoagland on CBS News during the Apollo missions in the late 60s and early 70s.  I was a teen at the time, but my Dad was an NBC News kinda guy.  Hoagland always talks about his time with Conkrite during the moon missions,  hard to believe any network would put a goofball like him on the air for such a significant event.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Uncle Duke on August 17, 2013, 12:59:22 PM
No surprise he has no college degree, in fact that's why I asked the question.

I'd still like to find someone who remembers seeing Hoagland on CBS News during the Apollo missions in the late 60s and early 70s.  I was a teen at the time, but my Dad was an NBC News kinda guy.  Hoagland always talks about his time with Conkrite during the moon missions,  hard to believe any network would put a goofball like him on the air for such a significant event.

I'm not sure Hoagland himself went on air; I think he was purely in an advisory capacity to Conkrite; essentially briefing him before going on air. I might be wrong of course, but that was my understanding.

Morgus

Quote from: Uncle Duke on August 17, 2013, 12:59:22 PMhard to believe any network would put a goofball like him on the air for such a significant event.
but that was in the late 60's,  many years before Hoagland became a 'goofball'
that didn't happen until after the face on Mars photos by the Viking Probe in the late 70s.

onan

Cast and crew of Walter Cronkite's news team:

Walter Cronkite    ...   Himself - Anchor / ...
   Roger Mudd    ...   Himself - Anchor / ...
   Charles Kuralt    ...   Himself - Correspondent

Bob Schieffer    ...   Himself - Correspondent
   Richard Threlkeld    ...   Himself - Correspondent
   Bill Plante    ...   Himself - Correspondent
   Bruce Morton    ...   Himself / ...
   Eric Sevareid    ...   Himself - Correspondent (2 episodes, 1968)
   Lesley Stahl    ...   Herself - Correspondent (2 episodes, 1972-1977)
   Harold Dow    ...   Himself - Correspondent (2 episodes, 1974-1980)
   Terry Drinkwater    ...   Himself - Correspondent (2 episodes, 1974-1975)
   Peter Collins    ...   Himself - Correspondent (2 episodes, 1977-1979)
   Bruce Dunning    ...   Himself - Correspondent (2 episodes, 1978-1980)
   Doug Tunnell    ...   Himself - Correspondent (2 episodes, 1978-1980)
   Randy Daniels    ...   Himself - Correspondent (2 episodes, 1979-1980)
   Bert Quint    ...   Himself - Correspondent (2 episodes, 1979-1980)
   George Herman    ...   Himself - Correspondent (1 episode, 1962-1980)
   Connie Chung    ...   Herself - Correspondent (1 episode, 1972-1977)

Bob Hite    ...   Himself - Announcer (unknown episodes, 1970-1981)
   Bernard Shaw    ...   Himself - Washington Correspondent (unknown episodes, 1972-1977)

Dan Rather    ...   Himself - Correspondent (unknown episodes)

Series Produced by
Leslie Midgley    ....   executive producer (1 episode, 1967-1972)
Russ Bensley    ....   producer (1 episode, 1970)
Ronald S. Bonn    ....   associate producer (1 episode, 1970)
James Clevenger    ....   associate producer (1 episode, 1970)
Stanhope Gould    ....   associate producer (1 episode, 1970)
Hal Haley    ....   associate producer (1 episode, 1970)
Paul Herford    ....   associate producer (1 episode, 1970)
Sam Roberts    ....   associate producer (1 episode, 1970)
Sanford Socolow    ....   producer (1 episode, 1970)
Paul Soroka    ....   associate producer (1 episode, 1970)
John Sumner    ....   associate producer (1 episode, 1970)

Burton Benjamin    ....   producer (unknown episodes)
Don Hewitt    ....   executive producer (unknown episodes)

Series Art Department
Ned Steinberg    ....   graphic artist / graphics design director (2 episodes, 1970-1975)

Series Editorial Department
Walter Cronkite    ....   managing editor (1 episode, 1970)
Bill Delaney    ....   videotape editor (1 episode, 1970)
Garrett Friedman    ....   videotape editor (1 episode, 1970)
Ralph Poyntz    ....   videotape editor (1 episode, 1970)
Victor Vinuelas    ....   videotape editor (1 episode, 1970)

Series Other crew
John Armstrong    ....   journalist (1 episode, 1970)
Jerry Conklin    ....   journalist (1 episode, 1970)
Edward M. Fouhy    ....   journalist (1 episode, 1970)
Bob Mead    ....   journalist (1 episode, 1970)
John Merriman    ....   news editor (1 episode, 1970)
Tom Sweiger    ....   journalist (1 episode, 1970)
Paul Taylor    ....   journalist (1 episode, 1970)
Robert Vitarelli    ....   journalist (1 episode, 1970)

No mention of hoagland

Uncle Duke

Onan-

Thanks for that information, but in fairness to Hoagland, that roster would appear to be for the CBS Evening News, not necessarily for the special coverage of the Apollo missions.  To illustrate this, I note the name of astronaut Wally Scharra is not on that list, but I know he was on-air with Conkrite for most, if not all, of the CBS coverage of the Apollo flights. 

Morgus/Pud--Your points are well taken, but in the late 60s RCH would have been what, 25 years old?  Are we to believe the execs of the top network news in US television at the time could do no better than a twenty-something high school grad to provide technical input to the most revered TV journalist of his generation? 

Hoagland might have been there, but he probably was no more than glorifed copy editor or gopher.  I wonder if CBS News has a historian or archivist?  If so, I think I will drop that individual a line seeking clarification on Hoagland's title/role at CBS during that period.

onan

Quote from: Uncle Duke on August 17, 2013, 11:40:30 PM
Onan-

Thanks for that information, but in fairness to Hoagland, that roster would appear to be for the CBS Evening News, not necessarily for the special coverage of the Apollo missions.  To illustrate this, I note the name of astronaut Wally Scharra is not on that list, but I know he was on-air with Conkrite for most, if not all, of the CBS coverage of the Apollo flights. 

Yeah good point.

Ya know the only science guy I remember during those days was on ABC, Jules Bergman. I watched all the moon landing stuff. I stayed up for days. I was obsessed with it. I took polaroid pictures of the TV to document the history (somebody should have put me away). I don't remember any hoagland ever being mentioned by Cronkite. I don't remember any hoagland character discussing any part of the Apollo missions.

Morgus

Quote from: Uncle Duke on August 17, 2013, 11:40:30 PMin the late 60s RCH would have been what, 25 years old?

doing a quick google search turned up this:
Richard C. Hoagland Born: April 25, 1945 (age 68)
so during the Apollo 11 moon landing (July 1969) Hoagland would have been 24 years old.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Morgus on August 17, 2013, 11:56:49 PM
doing a quick google search turned up this:
Richard C. Hoagland Born: April 25, 1945 (age 68)
so during the Apollo 11 moon landing (July 1969) Hoagland would have been 24 years old.

Thanks Doc, that seems to support my position.  Frankly, I pegged RCH at 70, so he's younger than I thought.  A 24 year old kid without any disearnable college degree/ education advising Uncle Walter on what was, and still remains mankind's single greatest achievement?  I'm skeptical.  Looking forward to contacting the CBS historian in the coming week.

Wouldn't it be something to prove RCH's claims relative to CBS were as delusional as most of his other tripe?

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Uncle Duke on August 18, 2013, 12:31:22 AM

Wouldn't it be something to prove RCH's claims relative to CBS were as delusional as most of his other tripe?

Sure; but what will you do with the information? Tell Hoagland? Will he care? If you get in direct contact with Noory, do you think he'll care? If you're of a literary nature, you could of course write a book "EXPOSED! Richard Hoagland, Science fraud" ?