• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

JamesMcDonald

Quote from: Ciardelo on December 13, 2015, 06:33:23 PM
Really? Because when somebody dies in my life it feels a lot different. You know it's just a stupid radio show right? Except when they cancelled Firefly--That was a lot worse than this.

Yeah I agree.  No one died here.  Sheesh.  Talk about blowing this shit out of proportion.  I'm a huge Art Bell fan but come on guys.  Get a life.

Sort of reminds me of this classic SNL skit with Bill Shatner.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xmagzq_get-a-life_fun

trostol

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on December 13, 2015, 06:30:57 PM
I don't think aliens would want RCH . . .

good point

Quote from: bellNwhistle on December 13, 2015, 06:41:14 PM
Can I just say that Nathan Fillion is hot? sorry.. had to get that out.  ;D

Nathan needs to shed some pounds lol

Ciardelo

Quote from: JamesMcDonald on December 13, 2015, 06:44:27 PM
Yeah I agree.  No one died here.  Sheesh.  Talk about blowing this shit out of proportion.  I'm a huge Art Bell fan but come on guys.  Get a life.

Sort of reminds me of this classic SNL skit with Bill Shatner.
LOL! Exactly! I'd forgotten about this skit! I remember Bill got shit from Trekkies over it too! He should post it on his website.

starrmtn001

Quote from: Bobbysaltereg0 on December 13, 2015, 06:28:37 PM
Did anyone tune into coast in the last 2 days? Did they mention anything about all of this going on?
What's coast? ???

CornyCrow

Quote from: b_dubb on December 13, 2015, 11:38:50 AM
I cancelled my subscription when Keith issued his message detailing how to unsubscribe. I will be subscribing again today to support (redacted) and crew.

Roswells Team Art Bell
Yes.  This was done in a very slipshod way.  My husband canceled when we got the notice.  Then, we hear that Heather will continue for a month.  Too late, we're not re-subscribing, especially when it is only for one month. 

I agree with others here who suggested that Art could have tried to recycle hosts until his stalker was caught and then resumed the show on his own.  It's possible that this could have been thought out better - that is, IF Art's only reservation to do the show was the stalker.   Staggering hosts would have helped Heather a lot, too, because this is a LOT to chew; Arts shoes are big for her to step into. 

bellNwhistle

Quote from: trostol on December 13, 2015, 06:50:41 PM
good point

Nathan needs to shed some pounds lol

Unfortunate, yes.. but he's still cool.

starrmtn001

Quote from: mrswizard on December 13, 2015, 06:35:46 PM
And rename the show.... Redacted
And rename the forum "RedacteGab!" ;D

the only good out of all of this is that maybe Clyde lewis can get his 2 hours back on his show that was cut short when art came back!

CornyCrow

Quote from: grizpsych on December 13, 2015, 01:33:13 PM
Unfortunately, Art will be stewing in his own fear for awhile. If the stalking is true, people like this just don't quit. Their joy comes from their victims fear.
Someone may have told Art ways in which he is vulnerable and the clown could escalate.  If Art was not ready to move, then he has to drop the show.  I wonder how/why Parhump is so important to him?  It's not the neighbors, certainly not the services.  I doubt that their schools are superior.  Serious illnesses must be airlifted to Vegas hospitals at an enormous cost.  What's there except his shortwave installation?  He could have a penthouse somewhere, have much better security (and reception I would think), better schools, a private elevator to avoid hobnobbing with neighbors - I don't get it, why he stays there. 

GravitySucks

Quote from: Bobbysaltereg0 on December 13, 2015, 06:57:01 PM
the only good out of all of this is that maybe Clyde lewis can get his 2 hours back on his show that was cut short when art came back!
He, or the radio station announced he was expanding to 5 hours

Quote from: GravitySucks on December 13, 2015, 07:03:35 PM
He, or the radio station announced he was expanding to 5 hours
On friday? I used to be like 4 hours then went back to 2 hours when art came on. I hope so!

None of this should be happening.  It really shouldn't.  For serious fans, it messes with the mind.

I haven't posted about it.  I thought I would come across as harsh.  I also feel like I don't have all the facts... that I would sound "selfish" and/or "anti family."

The way everyone is bleating about Art protecting his family sounds as if his wife and children were kidnapped and Art agreed to give up the show in order to effect their safe return.  When I read all the "family comes first" posts, I become agitated, I write all this shit out, and then I decide to not post it.

But someone encouraged me to post what I have been thinking.

For the record:

Art made a monumental mistake by quitting at this time, in this way.  IF there really is a specific psycho stalker type involved in the reported events, and IF his goal was to manipulate Art, THEN quitting doesn't guarantee or solve ANYTHING.

SOMETIMES, PUTTING FAMILY FIRST MEANS DOING WHAT IS RIGHT AND WHAT IS HARD - EVEN IT MEANS PUTTING FAMILY "SECOND".

That may sound like a contradiction, but I don't see it that way.

I didn't think many on the forum would care to hear the above from me and would ask me if I had ever been shot at, and should Art let the guy kill him or his family, etc.  They are viewing this more as "attempted murder," and I just don't have all the facts to make that clean of an assessment, but I have enough facts to judge that quitting was absolutely the wrong move, on multiple levels.  Others would say "it's just a radio show" and has nothing to do with "doing what is hard," and that "family is more important," etc.

But it can't be denied that if everyone thought this way, we would never have gone to the moon or a million other things.  Does a cop love his family less by going to a dangerous job?

But even with the "it's just a radio show" argument, that's doesn't hold water, because it's NOT just a radio show, it's a PRINCIPLE.  The principle of BEING CONTROLLED by some fuck-head harassing you.

I think if someone wanted Art dead, it would have already transpired.  So what was the goal?  Was the goal REALLY to just make him quit?  Or is it deeper and more mentally unstable and thus is only the beginning?

It's fucking depressing and we will just have to let the situation play itself out like a warped and scratched and hissing vinyl album piloted by a questionable needle.

Maybe multiple times.

Ugh.

trostol

Quote from: Segundus on December 13, 2015, 07:01:54 PM
Someone may have told Art ways in which he is vulnerable and the clown could escalate.  If Art was not ready to move, then he has to drop the show.  I wonder how/why Parhump is so important to him?  It's not the neighbors, certainly not the services.  I doubt that their schools are superior.  Serious illnesses must be airlifted to Vegas hospitals at an enormous cost.  What's there except his shortwave installation?  He could have a penthouse somewhere, have much better security (and reception I would think), better schools, a private elevator to avoid hobnobbing with neighbors - I don't get it, why he stays there.

my guess is the space...he has 5 acres if i recall and most of it is all his radio set up i believe..he is also til recently probably for the most part not bothered ..plus..close to Area 51 and cleaner air then down the road in vegas and probably some decent star viewing is available there

bellNwhistle

Quote from: trostol on December 13, 2015, 07:06:49 PM
my guess is the space...he has 5 acres if i recall and most of it is all his radio set up i believe..he is also til recently probably for the most part not bothered ..plus..close to Area 51 and cleaner air then down the road in vegas and probably some decent star viewing is available there
Agreed.  I can totally see why he'd want to live there. 

norland2424

Quote from: bellNwhistle on December 13, 2015, 07:08:36 PM
Agreed.  I can totally see why he'd want to live there.

It might just boil down to sentimental reasons too, since im sure he has owned that place for a few decades now.

ziznak

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on December 13, 2015, 07:05:43 PM
None of this should be happening.  It really shouldn't.  For serious fans, it messes with the mind.

I haven't posted about it.  I thought I would come across as harsh.  I also feel like I don't have all the facts... that I would sound "selfish" and/or "anti family."

The way everyone is bleating about Art protecting his family sounds as if his wife and children were kidnapped and Art agreed to give up the show in order to effect their safe return.  When I read all the "family comes first" posts, I become agitated, I write all this shit out, and then I decide to not post it.

But someone encouraged me to post what I have been thinking.

For the record:

Art made a monumental mistake by quitting at this time, in this way.  IF there really is a specific psycho stalker type involved in the reported events, and IF his goal was to manipulate Art, THEN quitting doesn't guarantee or solve ANYTHING.

SOMETIMES, PUTTING FAMILY FIRST MEANS DOING WHAT IS RIGHT AND WHAT IS HARD - EVEN IT MEANS PUTTING FAMILY "SECOND".

That may sound like a contradiction, but I don't see it that way.

I didn't think many on the forum would care to hear the above from me and would ask me if I had ever been shot at, and should Art let the guy kill him or his family, etc.  They are viewing this more as "attempted murder," and I just don't have all the facts to make that clean of an assessment, but I have enough facts to judge that quitting was absolutely the wrong move, on multiple levels.  Others would say "it's just a radio show" and has nothing to do with "doing what is hard," and that "family is more important," etc.

But it can't be denied that if everyone thought this way, we would never have gone to the moon or a million other things.  Does a cop love his family less by going to a dangerous job?

But even with the "it's just a radio show" argument, that's doesn't hold water, because it's NOT just a radio show, it's a PRINCIPLE.  The principle of BEING CONTROLLED by some fuck-head harassing you.

I think if someone wanted Art dead, it would have already transpired.  So what was the goal?  Was the goal REALLY to just make him quit?  Or is it deeper and more mentally unstable and thus is only the beginning?

It's fucking depressing and we will just have to let the situation play itself out like a warped and scratched and hissing vinyl album piloted by a questionable needle.

Maybe multiple times.

Ugh.

I'm with you here cam...  nice post.
we don't have all the info but from my standpoint giving into the lunatic is just a bad move.  Still Art is his own man so who are we to tell him what to do.  I just don't agree that this was the best thing he could do for everybody involved.  Can't really blame him but... yeah

Zenman

Quote from: starrmtn001 on December 13, 2015, 06:54:17 PM
And rename the forum "RedacteGab!" ;D

I think it's gotta be Real Redacted.   :D

TigerLily

Quote from: Ciardelo on December 13, 2015, 06:50:44 PM
LOL! Exactly! I'd forgotten about this skit! I remember Bill got shit from Trekkies over it too! He should post it on his website.
Trekkers, sir  >:(  ;)
And tell that author guy it's SF, not Sci Fi

Just Me

Art Bells 2015 Christmas gift to his followers, good bye all you brain dead paper weight suckers.

HAHAHAHA! and so it was, the Christmas of all Christma's where the end times for all the devote followers that lathered the BS on and sucked up to Art Bell who hated it all, all along.

Freyja

Quote from: K_Dubb on December 13, 2015, 06:08:57 PM
You will look in vain for logic or a strategy.  He's just an ordinary guy reacting to difficult circumstances.  The only unusual thing is that he is a public figure with a large following and his social-media forays aren't filtered through handlers.  It's not the usual massaged corproate bs; it's like the girl on facebook who posts after she fights with her bf, then after she makes up -- in real time you learn just to ride it out.

I disagree with those advocating professional PR.  Wouldn't be Art-like at all, and would shut down most of his interaction with us, which, now, is all we've got.  Just relax.

I beg to differ ( not really beg...just using the expression). Art is NOT just an ordinary guy...he is Art Bell...a famous innovative broadcaster extraordinaire, known all over this planet. He is not just some dumb ass who is new to fame, threats, dissent...just look at his known history.

He claims he has had "MIB" knock at his door, has had death threats before ...hype or true...I have no idea.

Yes, there is a young child involved in this case and that is paramount. I totally get that.

Yet, I assume Asia is still going to school, Art and family are not in lock up in their home in Pahrump...Art has Asia's photo all over the internet.

If there is a real threat to him and his family, then why is he still there? Why does law enforcement feel there is no evidence of any real threat? If he feels there is a real threat, then why is he not doing something about it, despite security being intrusive? If your family was really in danger, would you not have 24/7 security around your home or would you not get your family out of where you felt they were not safe? 

His claim is quitting is the solution to safety for his family, yet after "quitting" because of the "situation" he goes back on the air Friday night....seriously?!!?...how does that make any sense?!?!? Then he says he may go on the air once in a while, yet his hanging up the microphone for the last time is because of security to his family.

And, now that he has "quit"...but not really quit...all is good and safe?

If Art wants to "hang up his microphone for the last time", I have no problem with that. After decades of listening to him, it makes me sad that it seems that it is finally over....or is it? Are we going to be drawn into another one of Art's melodramas

What I don't appreciate is being jerked around one more time by Art Bell and his seeming rash, knee-jerk whatevers.

BTW, I am very relaxed...just want to say what I have to say before I move on.

And no matter how it all plays out, despite all the melodrama and jerking around over the last 2 decades, I thank Art Bell for many glorious rides, for being a pioneer who married radio to internet, for opening so many areas for thought, consideration and understanding about our journey within this third dimensional plane our containers inhabit.

If you are really going this time Art, then please do it....retire and enjoy your family.  If not, then fix this last fiasco, if you are able. Please stop the drama, it's gotten beyond old at this point. Also think about all the people you have left in total chaos and limbo who had faith and trusted you and I'm not talking about us here, the "listeners".

Either way I wish nothing but the best for you and your family.

Thank you for the memories and all the good times of best radio!

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: rekcuf on December 13, 2015, 06:10:53 PM
This does make sense. Noory is ISIS, ISIS is Noory!

Genius on the level of E=MC2

Freyja

Quote from: Segundus on December 13, 2015, 07:01:54 PM

He has a condo in the Philippines with a studio. His wife is a teacher who is capable of home schooling Asia.

I am repeating what PBS posted somewhere yesterday.

He has options most of us don't...he chose not to use them.

Yes, it seems he chooses to stay there while his family is threatened?....

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Ciardelo on December 13, 2015, 06:33:23 PM
Really? Because when somebody dies in my life it feels a lot different. You know it's just a stupid radio show right? Except when they cancelled Firefly--That was a lot worse than this.

Firefly really was the shit, wasn't it? Loved that show!

Ciardelo

Quote from: TigerLily on December 13, 2015, 07:12:36 PM
Trekkers, sir  >:(  ;)
And tell that author guy it's SF, not Sci Fi
I knew I had a 50/50 chance when I posted that lol.

DanTSX

Quote from: SnapT on December 13, 2015, 05:46:53 PM
I notice that KABC.COM still has MITD as their top-promoted show.  So either the webmaster doesn't react to Facebook posts too quickly, or KABC is still carrying the show. 

I don't see why Heather can't host three times a week, with Art Bell replays twice a week.  Premiere is still making money every week with Art Bell reruns on SOMEWHERE IN TIME, and those are often TWENTY YEARS OLD.  The nearly 100 episodes of MITD in Keith Rowland's vault are fresh as a daisy in comparison.

I also am flabbergasted that Keith Rowland is paying thousands of dollars a month just to stream an audio broadcast to a meager audience of tens of thousands.  It just doesn't make much sense to me in the age of YouTube and Twitch, where the live streaming is not only free, but they pay YOU when they run an ad they sell for you in front of your stream.  What's the big whoop about being on TuneIn?  More potential listeners have the YouTube app on their iPhone than they have the TuneIn app.  I think the YouTube app is auto-installed on iPhones.

Hoagland should move his show to YouTube and LITERALLY do radio with pictures.

It's called.........the weekend

DanTSX

Quote from: onan on December 13, 2015, 05:52:38 PM
That is on the menu at the diner where I have breakfast.

The same one with turkey bacon?

trostol

What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Freyja on December 13, 2015, 07:21:12 PM
His claim is quitting is the solution to safety for his family, yet after "quitting" because of the "situation" he goes back on the air Friday night....seriously?!!?...how does that make any sense?!?!?

Cuz his wife talked him into quitting and he hasn't nailed down what that means actually.  That kind of give-and-take should be familiar to anyone who's in a relationship.

Art rushes every new development to social media like a teenaged girl.  Makes for a bumpy ride but I wouldn't have it any other way.

They're still figuring things out.  Hang on.

nika01

It is all so disturbing and sad.