• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

BellBoy

Quote from: nika01 on December 14, 2015, 08:20:10 AM
Seems to me that a vocal minority seems to think that they know all of the motivations behind why things have unfolded the way they have. I have but one simple suggestion, since no one really knows anything: Keep pie hole closed if you dont have anything constructive to say... YOU DA MAN ART!

FIFY

Freyja

Quote from: Segundus on December 14, 2015, 08:20:20 AM
Art mentioned that moving could  be a possibility.  That takes time.  Maybe, if that happens, he'll be back.

So, if your family is in danger, someone is allegedly shooting at your home, you quit your radio show, you stay there and watch what cars drive by?!?!?

You think that you quit a radio show, but then come back on the air immediately afterward, then start posting you may come back on the air once in a while that this is going to make your family safe?!?!

Seriously???

If that was my child, my situation I would either be out of there in a heart beat until the perp was found or have 24/7 protection if I could afford it which Art Bell surely can...most of us could not.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: nika01 on December 14, 2015, 08:20:10 AM
Seems to me that a vocal minority seems to think that they know all of the motivations behind why things have unfolded the way they have. I have but one simple suggestion, since no one really knows anything: Keep pie hole closed if you dont have anything constructive to say.

Which minority is that?

The one that sees what is presented to be accepted at face value, but sees glaring holes and illogical courses of action; or the one that accepts what is presented at face value and believes it unquestioningly?

ponyboysunset

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 14, 2015, 08:27:16 AM

Which minority is that?

The one that sees what is presented to be accepted at face value, but sees glaring holes and illogical courses of action; or the one that accepts what is presented at face value and believes it unquestioningly?
How many times do I have to say it, stop being logical. People do not want to be troubled by your facts and logic here. Now shut up and give Art your money  ;D

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Freyja on December 14, 2015, 08:26:57 AM
So, if your family is in danger, someone is allegedly shooting at your home, you quit your radio show, you stay there and watch what cars drive by?!?!?

You think that you quit a radio show, but then come back on the air immediately afterward, then start posting you may come back on the air once in a while that this is going to make your family safe?!?!

Seriously???

If that was my child, my situation I would either be out of there in a heart beat until the perp was found or have 24/7 protection if I could afford it which Art Bell surely can...most of us could not.

^^This.

In answer to my previous question; YOU come first. Because if you don't protect yourself, how can you protect anyone else?

If my family was in danger, I'd get me and my family away. I wouldn't hang about worrying about radio stations and broadcasting what the hell was happening. It isn't cowardice; it's common sense. You can always assess and decide a course of action when you're safe with a clearer head than you can if you feel in danger. We don't always get the choice, but AB has every opportunity.

pate

Quote from: Freyja on December 14, 2015, 08:26:57 AM

Seriously???

It is the principle of the matter, ma my dear.

Not the principal.

Lawd how I hated to be called to the "office."

It mint something other than:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPQlXNH36mI

Quote from: ponyboysunset on December 14, 2015, 07:27:53 AM
You better be careful people around here, people don't care much for logic or any possible negative opinions  ;D

Also in case anyone wants to know where you can find Keith's update on the future or lack there of the Dark Matter Radio Network you can go to www.artbell.com.  It's the second article on the page, but apparently Art doesn't read his own website because he had no idea what was going on with the network until a poster on bellgab informed him that the network was in trouble. How is this possible?

It was my gut feeling from the start that Art posted his quit announcement without even informing Keith. That would explain Keith sending out the cancellation emails so quickly, it was like a passive aggressive angry response as if to say "So you want to quit again Art? This time you're going to suffer the consequences!". Keith has invested untold hours into this operation and if my theory is correct then who can blame him for reacting that way? Now Art is in damage control mode.

ponyboysunset

Quote from: Northern Nights on December 14, 2015, 08:33:44 AM
It was my gut feeling from the start that Art posted his quit announcement without even informing Keith. That would explain Keith sending out the cancellation emails so quickly, it was like a passive aggressive angry response as if to say "So you want to quit again Art? This time you're going to suffer the consequences!". Keith has invested untold hours into this operation and if my theory is correct then who can blame him for reacting that way? Now Art is in damage control mode.
That is an excellent response to my question. Thank you. That makes so much sense. I am re-listening to the gabcast and MV and several callers brought up viable solutions to the problem.

The backlash to the retirement here has been fairly mild, at least compared to the Sirius/XM debacle, though I can't say the same for the rest of the internet. What Art doesn't understand is that saying he might guest host in the future undermines the reason why he quit Midnight in the Desert, a perceived immediate threat against his family, which prolongs the hurt with his fans. Have more respect for your audience to not string us along again. We already know stations are going to drop the show, the subscriber pool will dry up, there won't be any ad money coming in because no one but BellGab will be listening to the show with Heather Wade, and Keith isn't going to stick around once his commitments are fulfilled. None of that changes if you come back for a few spots, Art. How many times are we going to do this dance?

Quote from: pate on December 14, 2015, 08:22:49 AM

Excellent post Pate. I forgot about that, that "Boyington's Bastards" started out with the F4F-3 Wildcats before they obtained the F4U's. :)

Barfly

People make such a big deal out of a talk radio show, i do understand thats the main purpose of this forum but lets be realistic, this forum is FAR beyond the topics of ART Bell.
Talk radio isn't my life, it shouldn't be anybody's life except for the commercial content creators, i listen to music and talk radio while i work .
People that make a forum and talk radio a purpose in life need to get out more, get laid, go fishing, hiking, jet ski, ride a Harley and pick up a skank hooker.
In the end, who gives a fuck? If this entire show and forum encompasses life that you know it you are missing so many other things.
This just isn't that important, for the most part the shows as well as the forum are time wasters, as well as mindless entertainment.
Kinda like a Looney Tunes cartoon.

Quote from: Freyja on December 14, 2015, 07:15:57 AM
:( :( Art is doing it again....dangling that carrot after he just pulled the rug out from under so many peoples feet!! ...not just us the audience, but all the people at DMDN, Keith, the affiliates, support staff etc.

So what does he think we will do? Tune in every night waiting with baited breath just in case he shows up on the air for a minute or more?!?! This is almost sick. 

Stop the jerk around Art...please. If you are still in fear of your family's safety, why are you still there? You didn't have to quit as you had other options but you did...so stop already. This is getting more than old and quite frankly I find it insulting.

I agree. What's disappointing is that Art was on here last night and had the perfect opportunity to interact with us and maybe answer some questions. I tried to draw him out a bit but he wouldn't bite. Instead he made another grand pronouncement from on high and vanished back into the ether. I know people are going to say we're expecting too much of him in this regard and maybe they're right, but still he could of at least *ahem* apologized for his ill worded and unnecessary quit announcement that's left his fans, Keith, the other hosts on the network, and the radio affiliates reeling in confusion.

pate

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 14, 2015, 08:31:17 AM

YOU come first. Because if you don't protect yourself, how can you protect anyone else?

If my family was in danger, I'd get me and my family away. I wouldn't hang about

Aye and agreed.

If it were ME(MYSELF) as the target, I think I'd send the wife and kids to a safe place, but ME?  I'd stick around and see what the dumb-ass targeting me wants to talk about.  Not that I'd shoot first and ask questions later, but that option wouldn't be off the table.

Not always is the defensive/static position a detriment.

I've got another whiskey and mixer to drank, so I shall suffer the slings and arrows of the disapbropation(sp) or whichever in my own way.  Fire at will, lads (or lasses) as i'twerp!

norland2424

Quote from: Barfly on December 14, 2015, 08:48:21 AM
People make such a big deal out of a talk radio show, i do understand tats the main purpose of this forum but lets be realistic, this forum is FAR beyond the topics of ART Bell.
Talk radio isn't my life, it shouldn't be anybody's life except for the commercial content creators, i listen to music and talk radio while i work .
People that make a forum and talk radio a purpose in life need to get out more, get laid, go fishing, hiking, jet ski, ride a Harley and pick up a skank hooker.
In the end, who gives a fuck? If this entire show and forum encompasses life that you know it you are missing so many other things.
This just isn't that important, for the most part the shows as well as the forum are time wasters, as well as mindless entertainment.

Kinda like a Looney Tunes cartoon.

This and Art doesn't owe any of us anything, he quit and thats pretty much it.

BellBoy

Quote from: norland2424 on December 14, 2015, 08:52:41 AM
This and Art doesn't owe any of us anything, he quit and thats pretty much it.

Then he should quit... and leave it at that. What is the point of dangling the possibility of sporadic appearances, that both he and we, know full well is unlikely to happen?

(especially come January 1st)

norland2424

Quote from: BellBoy on December 14, 2015, 09:00:07 AM
Then he should quit... and leave it at that. What is the point of dangling the possibility of sporadic appearances, that both he and we, know full well is unlikely to happen?

(especially come January 1st)

He may not be back on MITD but does anyone really think this is the last time we will hear Art live?

I went to sleep. It's been 5 hours... Did Art unretire? I like our chances.

norland2424

Quote from: rekcuf on December 14, 2015, 09:04:54 AM
I went to sleep. It's been 5 hours... Did Art unretire? I like our chances.

No not yet lol.

Quote from: norland2424 on December 14, 2015, 09:03:00 AM
He may not be back on MITD but does anyone really think this is the last time we will hear Art live?

If Heather bombs, yes. MITD is under contract to be on the air for 30 days, per Keith. Keith, says the shows don't have to be live either.

BellBoy

Quote from: norland2424 on December 14, 2015, 09:03:00 AM

Perhaps not, but I'm quite certain that it is the last time he'll ever be viewed as a viable, marketable commodity within the broadcast industry.

norland2424

Quote from: rekcuf on December 14, 2015, 09:09:03 AM
If Heather bombs, yes. MITD is under contract to be on the air for 30 days, per Keith. Keith, says the shows don't have to be live either.

He could just make up another new show, hes done that what, 4 times now.

nika01

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 14, 2015, 08:27:16 AM

Which minority is that?

I was referring to people that make all sorts of asinine posts without truly knowing what all the facts are, which, seems to me, is just about everybody.

Disinformation is a powerful tool.

N0sferatu

I guess I don't understand why he thinks having a new host will stop the threats. Hopefully it does, however if what we have been told about this "stalker" is true this will just continue feeding the flames. I love Art but to me much of this has been exxagerated or never happened at all. If someone was actively shooting and invading someone's property wouldn't a giant police investigation/force be at the property until this is solved?

Quote from: norland2424 on December 14, 2015, 09:11:09 AM

Goblins 'n Such with Art Bell is still on the table.

Quote from: norland2424 on December 14, 2015, 09:05:42 AM
No not yet lol.

lol, I know. I've excepted the fact that Art won't ever be back full time. Maybe, maybe he'll pop in. I personally believe MITD is done. Besides the sunshine pumpers on this forum, not much love for Heather elsewhere.

BellBoy

Quote from: SixWeekTenure(tm) on December 14, 2015, 09:13:50 AM
Goblins 'n Such with Art Bell is still on the table.

"Art Bell's I'm Totally Not Quitting This Time Radio Theatre"

sorefinger

Quote from: SredniVashtar on December 13, 2015, 07:23:22 AM
Good god, what utter balls! The typical caller is a halfwit shut-in who'd struggle to put his trousers on without assistance. You sound like one of them. The caller portion of the show is just something they do to appease the audience, and it is almost always awful. It disrupts the flow of the show and reveals nothing of interest. I don't want to hear some witless hayseed tells us about what his gramma saw one night while taking a shit, thanks all the same!

If what you are saying were true, then the show could be done without callers, even podcasted. 

But Art's demand always was that the show be done live, so as to accommodate and involve the audience -- even without screening.  Without callers, it wouldn't be talk radio.  It'd be known only as guest radio. 

In Art's early days, the show was all about callers only, rarely a guest appearing (no producer needed).  One could make the argument that, once guests started to appear endlessly, the show only went downhill from there.  Look around the talk landscape.  The top shows are not dominated by guests, but by callers.  When guests do appear, they only do so briefly, maybe half an hour max.  That is all the time important guests have anyway. Any guest who has more time than that to contribute isn't very important, and especially so if he's willing to spend three or four hours in the middle of the night, in which case he's just another greedy hack, out to promote another book or whatever.

Coast to Coast's demise is directly related to guests who are nothing but commercialized hacks, who only view the audience as conquest.  Last year they elevated audience conquest to a new art form, after introducing multi-level marketing of supplements to their scheme.

I had always enjoyed listening to what callers had to say from around the country. Today it's from around the world -- even more interesting.

When Heather "steel balls" Wade premiered Friday night, she was at her best with the callers, not the guest.  In fact, I would lean towards saying that her success depends more on callers rather than on guests, at least until she gets comfortable with what she has to do.

Talk radio without callers would be like BellGab without commenters, in which case it would be a blog. Yet I find it ironic that you do not hang out in a blog but here at BellGab where you can contribute and comment as (the way you describe) a half-wit, struggling to put his trousers on.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: nika01 on December 14, 2015, 09:13:02 AM
I was referring to people that make all sorts of asinine posts without truly knowing what all the facts are, which, seems to me, is just about everybody.

Disinformation is a powerful tool.

The 'facts' are tenuous at best if looked at, at face value and common sense applied.

Quote from: norland2424 on December 14, 2015, 09:11:09 AM

If I were Keith I'd say, no... He got burned the most in all this. Art will not do a podcast. He said he'll only do live shows. He could always try,  but I highly doubt he would receive support like he did for MITD.