• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

ACE of CLUBS

Quote from: coaster on May 05, 2013, 05:27:07 PM
At least Art has got his priorities straight. I never really thought he was going to return anyway.

As with Coaster, I didn't think Art would be back either. 
Art .... enjoy your time with your family, in the end, it's all that really matters.  Farewell, you gave us a ride, and put a smile on my face.  "From the High Desert, and the Grrreat American Southwest ....... "

Eddie Coyle

FR can react in either in one or two ways.

(1) hysterically and irrationally
          (2)  irrationally and hysterically.

We all knew the suspense would.
We hope we would get a good voice back on radio.
We feared the madness of noory would continue.
And we were right.

Cumulus, nah
Premiere no way.
Sirius, are you serious?
Bell's had his say..
So much for that.
But I think it's time for Coast to simply vanish --not with a bang but a whimper. Art knows that it will happen without him, so why kill something that is dying already.
So is there any irony in tonight's show topic? http://www.coasttocoastam.com/show/2013/05/05

morphiaflow

Quote from: HorrorReporter on May 05, 2013, 07:28:50 PM
I think it's time for Coast to simply vanish --not with a bang but a whimper. Art knows that it will happen without him, so why kill something that is dying already.

Unfortunately they just hit an apparently highest-ever affiliate count of 570 stations. It's entrenched. Good or bad, Art or not, it is what it is, and there's nothing we can do about it except hope that someday Noory/Wells and the influence of folks like Alex Jones will someday be magically replaced with someone who truly "gets it".

Marc.Knight

Quote from: morphiaflow on May 05, 2013, 04:26:12 PM
Art Bell32 minutes ago near Pahrump, NV ·  I guess it is time to end any further speculation that I will return to the air anytime soon. I have given (2) very solid offers a lot of thought and have turned them down. My reasons are many, though I am profoundly sad at the current state of the show, both offers would have been direct competition with Coast and anger is the wrong reason to proceed. Also I really do not want to destroy what I built despite it's current state. Asia will be in first grade in the Fall and getting up very early, I would be up late and sleeping late, I would not see much of her or Airyn. Life is short and I want to spend what I have left with my Family. I hope my friends understand...

Righteous anger is a perfectly good reason to give C2C some much needed competition from the Founder.  Art needs to invert his logic and realize that his re-entry into talk radio would actually improve C2C in order for them to stay viable.  However, and I must say this in the context of conjecture, I don't believe that Art is motivated to come back to night radio, and he knows it.  He's holding onto real, earned glory he obtained in his 40s and 50s. 

The energy and ability to sacrifice for a new round at talk radio may only be found in previous, wonderful chapters in Art's life.  I think his decision had nothing to do with "direct competition", and everything to do with the satisfaction that he could do it all over again, if he wanted to.

ItsOver

Regardless, we're screwed.  :'(

Marc.Knight

Quote from: ItsOver on May 05, 2013, 08:11:27 PM
Regardless, we're screwed.  :'(

Noory just let out a long, crazy-sounding laugh after reading your post.

Fly By Night

I wonder how serious Art ever was about a comeback

coaster

At least we still have the fine art stream.

morphiaflow

Quote from: Marc knight on May 05, 2013, 07:58:35 PM
The energy and ability to sacrifice for a new round at talk radio may only be found in previous, wonderful chapters in Art's life.  I think his decision had nothing to do with "direct competition", and everything to do with the satisfaction that he could do it all over again, if he wanted to.

I've repeatedly made the point here and elsewhere that implicit in all of Art's messages is his clear belief that he COULD hurt or even "take down" Coast, IF he so chose. And I like that he thinks that. And I think he's probably more right about it than not.

Art is nearly 68, has a young wife and a six year old daughter, and probably has the C-Crane sponsored proceeds to keep them comfortable for a long time.  He needs this gig like he needs a Noory in the head.

onan

People communicate in two ways. What they say and what they do. Art has, by my count, three times now pretty much said he won't be back.

I listen less and less to Art's old shows. And what I found surprising about that is I don't seem to miss it as much as I thought I would. Not to mention getting a full 8 hours of sleep has been a pleasant side benefit.

Right now late night radio is pathetic. I am tired of thinking that it will ever change. So, I give up.

morphiaflow

At this point I also don't think he's back. I'm sure if pressed into a corner he'd say "never say never", but it's clearly just not what he wants to do right now, and maybe he never will again. And I'm OK with that. Like I said, even "someday" looks unlikely, so we can all just move on. The flip side of that, as I observed in another thread, is that if he ever DOES change his mind, it'll be an out-of-the-blue surprise/bonus, and a good one, at that. I'm neither counting on nor expecting it. I'm not even really hoping for it anymore. But it's nice to know he could if HE wanted to. In other words, he's making this choice from a position of confidence and strength. If he wasn't, he wouldn't have had two substantial offers on the plate in the first place. That has to be gratifying to him.

Tara

I wish somehow that sNoory, Tommy and the gang could be made aware of Art's feelings on C2C.

ItsOver

Noory would think Art's "just another hater."  ::)

Marc.Knight

Quote from: onan on May 05, 2013, 10:52:41 PM
People communicate in two ways. What they say and what they do. Art has, by my count, three times now pretty much said he won't be back.

I listen less and less to Art's old shows. And what I found surprising about that is I don't seem to miss it as much as I thought I would. Not to mention getting a full 8 hours of sleep has been a pleasant side benefit.

Right now late night radio is pathetic. I am tired of thinking that it will ever change. So, I give up.

One of the most rational posts in a long time.  My opinion seems to diverge from some.  I think if Art wanted to return for a few years until he truly let it go - he would.  The "direct competition" stuff is a red herring.  He's proved a nagging question to himself... he still has what it takes to get the "big offers". 

Time for us all to get better sleep.

I`ve maintained for some time now that Art is finished. Even though, for a while I allowed myself to dream a bit and contemplate a possible return, if only one night/week.

However, reality is, as they say, what it is. As Art edges ever closer to 70 years old, it`s quite apparent Art has broadcast his last show. I feel privileged to have been listening to him before 99% of his fans even knew his name.

Art is a legend. He has a beautiful family. He`s earned a comfortable retirement. I hope he has many years in the sun left to enjoy it all.

Long live the Legend, Art Bell.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: bigchucka on May 05, 2013, 06:47:57 PM
Yeah... and notice that SIT is still on.... and we never did hear the story about those Retirements....

nor will you, i suspect.

FortRock

ON THE ART BELL ANNOUNCEMENT:
I received some information along the lines of the announcement from Art from a Source in the Pahrump area around a week and a half before this "Official Announcement". That was what prompted the Mutiny of the Scorpion Army! Art has been asked by Airyn not to return to the airwaves, because the subjects Art discusses could lead to Asia being subjected to taunting and bullying at her school! Remember Airyn is a Schoolteacher by Education and Philippines Certification! I challenge those that are Facebook Friends of Art to do as I did in an Official Scorpion Army Communique to General Bell to appear on a radio show out of Salt Lake City, Utah that I've discussed here recently called "Fringe Radio" on KTKK-AM 630. There Art could discuss any concerns he has with Coast as it exists today under George Noory. Art, please contact KTKK Radio soon!

Eddie Coyle

My sources...in no particular order.

The General

Quote from: FortRock on May 06, 2013, 02:17:48 PM
ON THE ART BELL ANNOUNCEMENT...
And while we're at it, let's get the Beatles back together.

bigchucka

I just read that Rush's deal with Cumulus might end at the end of this year.  I wonder if Art was offered this time slot, would he accept?  He did say that both of the offers would have been competing against Coast.  If he was to accept another time slot, what would it be?

BobGrau

Quote from: FortRock on May 06, 2013, 02:17:48 PM
ON THE ART BELL ANNOUNCEMENT:
I received some information along the lines of the announcement from Art from a Source in the Pahrump area around a week and a half before this "Official Announcement". That was what prompted the Mutiny of the Scorpion Army! Art has been asked by Airyn not to return to the airwaves, because the subjects Art discusses could lead to Asia being subjected to taunting and bullying at her school! Remember Airyn is a Schoolteacher by Education and Philippines Certification! I challenge those that are Facebook Friends of Art to do as I did in an Official Scorpion Army Communique to General Bell to appear on a radio show out of Salt Lake City, Utah that I've discussed here recently called "Fringe Radio" on KTKK-AM 630. There Art could discuss any concerns he has with Coast as it exists today under George Noory. Art, please contact KTKK Radio soon!

Mr Rock, I seem to remember you being invited to appear on a certain radio show. Perhaps you should be leading by example?

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: The General on May 06, 2013, 02:59:47 PM
And while we're at it, let's get the Beatles back together.
Two bullets may be all it takes :-[

Marc.Knight

Quote from: bigchucka on May 06, 2013, 03:01:27 PM
If he was to accept another time slot, what would it be?

Eternity.

kf5iwe

Quote from: bigchucka on May 06, 2013, 03:01:27 PM
I just read that Rush's deal with Cumulus might end at the end of this year.  I wonder if Art was offered this time slot, would he accept?  He did say that both of the offers would have been competing against Coast.  If he was to accept another time slot, what would it be?
Paranormal during the DAY?? ARE YOU INSANE?? You know thats when we wacky right wingers bloviate about polotics

morphiaflow

Fort Rock, it's pretty low for you to attempt to blame Art's non-return to the airwaves on his SIX YEAR OLD DAUGHTER. It's beyond low, it's contemptible, and so are you. Fuck you and your sources. Your game is over. It's over for all of us. Go crawl under a rock with the scorpions.

bigchucka

Quote from: kf5iwe on May 06, 2013, 03:09:17 PM
Paranormal during the DAY?? ARE YOU INSANE?? You know thats when we wacky right wingers bloviate about polotics

They could always REPLAY at night...