• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Things That Annoy You

Started by onan, May 22, 2011, 02:41:35 AM

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: bateman on July 02, 2015, 02:55:36 PM
My grandparents had matching 1991 9000 Turbos that did hold up well until the 200k mile mark. One in red like this:

The post-GM takeover cars were an abomination.

The Carlsson had the same front end (same year 91), but saloon with a boot (trunk). Same wheels though and skirted deeper. All in white.. went like a scalded cat.

Jackstar

It really annoys me that research on ibogaine is strictly controlled.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: Jackstar on July 03, 2015, 01:07:46 AM

K, this is what I mean when I criticize your posts. I'm doing this for your own good Jack.  Despite the fact that 99.5% of people on here have no idea what ibogaine is, I do. Its main use is in potentially replacing methadone as a method for getting people off heroin but it's fucking hallucinogenic which immediately makes it a bad drug. You want people to feel normal after heroin addiction, you don't want them to walk through life tripping balls. So you tell me, in plain and simple language what the hell it is that you see within ibogaine that has value to society or spirituality or whatever.

Jackstar

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on July 03, 2015, 01:20:51 AM
it's fucking hallucinogenic which immediately makes it a bad drug.

Oooh! Rainbows!

Jackstar

Quote from: Jackstar on July 03, 2015, 01:07:46 AM

Jackstar

QuoteIts main use is in

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on July 02, 2015, 09:18:02 PM
  These fuckin' Minion things are triggering the harrowing PTSD I suffered from 1999-2004 from having to watch those goddamn, motherfucking, infernal scumfuck Rugrats.  >:(

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on July 02, 2015, 10:07:37 PM
Dammit, Eddie, I can hear the opening bars of the  "Rugrats" theme in my head now. If "Gullah Gullah Island" gets in my head, I may give myself a DIY lobotomy.  :P

Akkkk, well, there goes MY holiday weekend!!!! I'm done with the BOTH of YA'!!!    ::) :o   Hahahahahaha.

Here's one back atcha':  That little dinosaur bitch that SCREAMS through five or six installments of something to do with Time and Land.
NO!! Don't tell the name of that particular franchise....I've remembered too much already!   ;)
Anytime my son did something "untoward" I blamed it on that movie and its sequels.  I think it actually killed some of my brain cells(without the enjoyment of doing it on my own with some alcohol).

;D  Have a nice day!  ;D

Quote from: Treading Water on July 03, 2015, 05:17:19 AM

Akkkk, well, there goes MY holiday weekend!!!! I'm done with the BOTH of YA'!!!    ::) :o   Hahahahahaha.

Here's one back atcha':  That little dinosaur bitch that SCREAMS through five or six installments of something to do with Time and Land.
NO!! Don't tell the name of that particular franchise....I've remembered too much already!   ;)
Anytime my son did something "untoward" I blamed it on that movie and its sequels.  I think it actually killed some of my brain cells(without the enjoyment of doing it on my own with some alcohol).

;D  Have a nice day!  ;D

Thanks. Thanks a lot, TW, because I DO remember what that is but seein' as how it's a holiday weekend and all, and you're a good person, I won't say. But now I REMEMBER! Ugh. This is like recovered alien abduction memories without the flying saucer. The big bug eyes remain and the fear and loathing, mostly the loathing.

Mebbe this should go into Things That Bring Me Joy, but the moment I knew my life was going to change slightly for the better was the moment I walked into the living room and heard my 4 year old whisper "Shut up, Barney" to the tv. That was a watershed moment.

ShayP

Getting hit on the heels by a shopping cart while checking out is annoying.

Quote from: Jackstar on July 03, 2015, 01:36:15 AM

Oooh! Rainbows!

That image would fit quite well in the Billy Meier thread right about now.

Jackstar

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on July 03, 2015, 12:38:03 PM
That image would fit quite well in the Billy Meier thread right about now.

yeah

Quote from: TheHauntingEchoOfSciFiAuthor on July 03, 2015, 01:20:51 AM
but it's fucking cross topic which immediately makes it a bad .jpg.

onan

The misuse of subject and verb number.

someone just posted, everyone on my forum are...

goddammit, everyone on my forum is...

aldousburbank

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on July 03, 2015, 01:20:51 AM
but it's fucking hallucinogenic which immediately makes it a bad drug.
This is a stupid response, which makes it a bad post. 

chefist

Quote from: aldousburbank on July 03, 2015, 09:07:55 PM
This is a stupid response, which makes it a bad post.
Aldous not posting lately! Where are you now, man?

aldousburbank

Quote from: chefist on July 03, 2015, 09:10:59 PM
Aldous not posting lately! Where are you now, man?
Just coming off a major ibogaine trip man.

chefist

Quote from: aldousburbank on July 03, 2015, 09:14:39 PM
ohhhh...internal journey! Gotcha...

zeebo

You'll be fine dude.  Here's what you do.  First, have a proper bloody mary followed by a slice of anchovy pizza.  This'll get your electrolytes back up while moderating your neural pathways.  Following this, settle in and watch the very bad movie Showgirls.  It must be the uncut director's version.  This is important for your full recovery.  It is so dumb, so awkward and uncomfortable, that it will force your brain to reset, allowing the healing process to begin. 

chefist

Quote from: zeebo on July 03, 2015, 09:42:53 PM
You'll be fine dude.  Here's what you do.  First, have a proper bloody mary followed by a slice of anchovy pizza.  This'll get your electrolytes back up while moderating your neural pathways.  Following this, settle in and watch the very bad movie Showgirls.  It must be the uncut director's version.  This is important for your full recovery.  It is so dumb, so awkward and uncomfortable, that it will force your brain to reset, allowing the healing process to begin.
Man Squirrel of experience!

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: onan on July 03, 2015, 08:56:53 PM

I know, I know.  I've got quicklime and a shovel at the ready for those who misuse the gerund and the possessive pronoun.

ItsOver

I never thought I would have a mental image of a squirrel watching "Showgirls," with a bloody mary in one paw, and a slice of pizza in another.

zeebo

Quote from: ItsOver on July 03, 2015, 10:02:59 PM
I never thought I would have a mental image of a squirrel watching "Showgirls," with a bloody mary in one paw, and a slice of pizza in another.

Few have such enlightened visions my friend!  Glad I could be of assistance.    :D

Little Hater

I'm a member of a couple of writing forums, and you wouldn't believe how many writers and wannabes actively disagree with you. 'Everyone put their hands in the air' is standard usage now.

wr250

the correct version is :
all your forums r ...

wr250

You'll be fine dude.  Here's what you do.  First, have a proper bloody mary followed by a slice of anchovy pizza.  This'll get your electrolytes back up while moderating your neural pathways .  Following this, settle in and watch the very bad movie Showgirls.  It must be the uncut director's version. turn on noory to noory am.This is important for your full recovery.  It is so dumb, so awkward and uncomfortable, that it will force your brain to reset, allowing the healing process to begin. 

fixed

onan

Quote from: Little Hater on July 04, 2015, 06:00:06 AM
I'm a member of a couple of writing forums, and you wouldn't believe how many writers and wannabes actively disagree with you. 'Everyone put their hands in the air' is standard usage now.
they would all be wrong... and stupid.

I hate that 'their' is standard usage for a singular pronoun because we have no neutral pronouns to fill in the gaps. I was taught to parse sentences by the nuns, and seeing,or worse, hearing this, is slow torture. I know I sound like an antiquated fossil whenever I send out a letter to parents but I'll be damned if I say "Your child can do their homework over a two week period." No, no and NO. When did we cave in and this current atrocity become acceptable grammar?

My other two items on the hate list: I once had an aide who managed to get a few of my students saying "brung" and "mines". I sorted that out as diplomatically as I could, but "mines" is an ongoing assault on my ears.

zeebo

Ok since we're noting grammar annoyances, one that slightly bugs me is when people use "I" to sound formal but really they should use "me" - e.g. "It rained on my friend and I".  Wrong!  Would you say "It rained on I."?

And while writing this I'm reminded of another one - e.g. vs. i.e.

e.g. = "for example" /  i.e. = "in other words" ... Learn it, love it, live it.

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on July 04, 2015, 08:00:59 AM
When did we cave in and this current atrocity become acceptable grammar?

As you say, it's a consequence of not having a gender-neutral singular pronoun.  Historically, people would use "his" as a default if the gender was indeterminate, but then it got all politically-correct and people started using "her" exclusively or randomly, which not only didn't fix the problem but was distracting.  The use of "their" came into use as shorthand for "his or her" but it's a bandaid.

It's a bit remarkable that English -- one of the most precise and flexible languages around -- has this problem, and it's seemingly intractable.

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on July 04, 2015, 01:28:33 PM
As you say, it's a consequence of not having a gender-neutral singular pronoun.  Historically, people would use "his" as a default if the gender was indeterminate, but then it got all politically-correct and people started using "her" exclusively or randomly, which not only didn't fix the problem but was distracting.  The use of "their" came into use as shorthand for "his or her" but it's a bandaid.

It's a bit remarkable that English -- one of the most precise and flexible languages around -- has this problem, and it's seemingly intractable.

True. Makes it difficult to teach it to English language learners and their parents.

Good to see you back again, DPS!