• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Main Menu

Ebola

Started by VtaGeezer, March 27, 2014, 11:56:35 PM

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on October 17, 2014, 11:27:40 AM
... US 280 staff  and 3200 troops  is..........in third place? 

TOTAL UNMITIGATED BS.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/cuba-stands-at-forefront-of-ebola-battle-in-africa-1412904212

" The U.S. is the biggest donor nation, having pledged to send nearly 4,000 troops and nearly $400 million in other aid. It is sending 65 U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps officers to staff an Ebola ward for health-care providers in Liberia. More than 2,600 health volunteers have signed up on a government website for possible deployment with aid organizations"

And there`s this:

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/world/2014/10/10/ebola/17032145/

"The U.S. has said it will oversee construction of 17 treatment units with 100 beds each."

"The U.S. military on Thursday was also setting up a 25-bed hospital to treat health workers who may contract Ebola. Rear Adm. Scott Giberson, the acting United States Deputy Surgeon General, said the facility would be ready within weeks and would be run by the U.S. military."

The rapid deployment ability, logistics, command and control and sheer manpower of the U.S. military to get things done in time of crisis, anywhere in the world, is absolutely unparalleled throughout history. This latest crisis is merely one more example of our prowess in such matters.

Quote from: FightTheFuture on October 17, 2014, 12:13:46 PM

TOTAL UNMITIGATED BS.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/cuba-stands-at-forefront-of-ebola-battle-in-africa-1412904212

" The U.S. is the biggest donor nation, having pledged to send nearly 4,000 troops and nearly $400 million in other aid. It is sending 65 U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps officers to staff an Ebola ward for health-care providers in Liberia. More than 2,600 health volunteers have signed up on a government website for possible deployment with aid organizations"

And there`s this:

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/world/2014/10/10/ebola/17032145/

"The U.S. has said it will oversee construction of 17 treatment units with 100 beds each."

"The U.S. military on Thursday was also setting up a 25-bed hospital to treat health workers who may contract Ebola. Rear Adm. Scott Giberson, the acting United States Deputy Surgeon General, said the facility would be ready within weeks and would be run by the U.S. military."

The rapid deployment ability, logistics, command and control and sheer manpower of the U.S. military to get things done in time of crisis, anywhere in the world, is absolutely unparalleled throughout history. This latest crisis is merely one more example of our prowess in such matters.

He meant Cuba is in third place, but carry on.

Quote from: VtaGeezer on October 17, 2014, 11:51:20 AM
... We've been trying to seal the fucking borders for 40 years. Under Ds and Rs, in times of high terrorist threat.

Nonsense. There has never been a scintilla ("smidgen", for all you Barry Obola fans out there) of will by either party to "seal" the borders. EVER.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on October 17, 2014, 12:17:16 PM
He meant Cuba is in third place, but carry on.

I did, but hey, let him have his rant. It makes him feel better.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: The General on October 17, 2014, 10:59:24 AM
Is that why they tell people to go ahead and fly on a commercial jet when they've been exposed to ebola and you have a fever?  Is that why they seem to be 2 weeks behind at every step, constantly backtracking and apologizing for mistakes?  Is that why they couldn't contain ONE case of ebola?  One case, now three.  What the CDC has coming out of it's ass isn't top notch anything, it's a steady stream of projectile bullshit.
The problem arose because the nurse was assumed to be properly protected and not considered "exposed"; ie, not on the same isolation protocol as those who'd been directly exposed.  Her fever was below the protocol threshold... a protocol certainly OK'd by a number of MDs.  It's a bureaucratic screw up at the operating level that an MD as Czar or CDC director wouldn't even be aware of.  It actually shows the need for specific expertise in safety/security procedures that have little to do with medical training. 

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: VtaGeezer on October 17, 2014, 12:41:33 PM
The problem arose because the nurse was assumed to be properly protected and not considered "exposed"; ie, not on the same isolation protocol as those who'd been directly exposed.  Her fever was below the protocol threshold... a protocol certainly OK'd by a number of MDs.  It's a bureaucratic screw up at the operating level that an MD as Czar or CDC director wouldn't even be aware of.  It actually shows the need for specific expertise in safety/security procedures that have little to do with medical training.

I'd also add that three months from now, if a few clusters spring up and go back down, it's likely procedures will be revised, refined and in some places completely changed to address the actual situation. It's what happens.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: FightTheFuture on October 17, 2014, 12:20:19 PM

Nonsense. There has never been a scintilla ("smidgen", for all you Barry Obola fans out there) of will by either party to "seal" the borders. EVER.
The right would soil itself at the cost to effectively "seal" 2000 miles of US/Mex border, let alone the Can/US or the coasts.  Perry deployed the TX NG to seal the border; guess what.  It hasn't made a dent.  Nothing will change until employers of illegals are prosecuted hard, and the American drug epidemic is fixed. "Seal the border" is as much talk radio nonsense as bigfoot.

Quote from: VtaGeezer on October 17, 2014, 01:01:51 PM
The right would soil itself at the cost to effectively "seal" 2000 miles of US/Mex border, let alone the Can/US or the coasts.  Perry deployed the TX NG to seal the border; guess what.  It hasn't made a dent.  Nothing will change until employers of illegals are prosecuted hard, and the American drug epidemic is fixed. "Seal the border" is as much talk radio nonsense as bigfoot.

Agreed.

Quote from: VtaGeezer on October 17, 2014, 09:46:24 AM
Obama has appointed a career political insider lawyer, Ron Klain, as Ebola Czar Chief Flack. A terrible choice.  Klain's another fucking Harvard lawyer; a "message guy" who's biggest claim to fame was prepping Gore and Biden for debates.  This guy will only be red meat for all Obama's enemies and will spend all his time on political defense.  I'm sure he's brilliant, but he's never run anything that had a real world function.  The job should go to someone of military flag-rank with the no-nonsense attitude like Gen. Russell Honore who took over recovery efforts after Hurricane  Katrina, focused on problems, and kicked bureaucratic asses. This very very disappointing.

I don't know anything about this guy but what is important is to have someone who can coordinate, lead, research, assimilate complex data, analyze it objectively, and issue timely responses.  His staff members can supply him with the necessary information about medical protocols.

I don't think hiring a general is appropriate.  Katrina was a national emergency that required the instigation of martial law.  I don't think Ebola is to that point.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on October 17, 2014, 01:15:19 PM
I don't know anything about this guy but what is important is to have someone who can coordinate, lead, research, assimilate complex data, analyze it objectively, and issue timely responses.  His staff members can supply him with the necessary information about medical protocols.
What I'm reading says this czar business is bullshit.  He apparently has no line authority, his job is merely to coordinate between Obama's other WH advisors, and he reports to Lisa Monaco, WH Homeland Security Advisor (ie, policy wonk) who reports to Susan Rice.  I'd bet they threw this guy up as window dressing and believe the Ebola frenzy will all go away by Halloween.

Quote from: VtaGeezer on October 17, 2014, 01:32:59 PM
What I'm reading says this czar business is bullshit.  He apparently has no line authority, his job is merely to coordinate between Obama's other WH advisors, and he reports to Lisa Monaco, WH Homeland Security Advisor (ie, policy wonk) who reports to Susan Rice.  I'd bet they threw this guy up as window dressing and believe the Ebola frenzy will all go away by Halloween.

Ah, okay so maybe purely a PR stunt.

albrecht

Quote from: VtaGeezer on October 17, 2014, 01:01:51 PM
The border could be sealed relatively cheaply (mines) but I agree that the real short-term solution is stiff civil- and criminal- penalties for any person, business, charity, church, or government agency that hires, feeds, helps, or shelters an illegal. The long-term solution is find a way to develop the economies in Mexico, Honduras, Guatemala, etc. One way to help, a bit, is legalize drugs and take the cartels out of that lucrative business and force that industry to go legitimate.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: albrecht on October 17, 2014, 03:18:57 PM
The border could be sealed relatively cheaply (mines) but I agree that the real short-term solution is stiff civil- and criminal- penalties for any person, business, charity, church, or government agency that hires, feeds, helps, or shelters an illegal. The long-term solution is find a way to develop the economies in Mexico, Honduras, Guatemala, etc. One way to help, a bit, is legalize drugs and take the cartels out of that lucrative business and force that industry to go legitimate.
That's pretty much what my remodeling contractor said a few weeks ago.  Then he got in his truck to go pick up a couple Mexican laborers for his shovel work.

albrecht

Quote from: VtaGeezer on October 17, 2014, 03:31:53 PM
That's pretty much what my remodeling contractor said a few weeks ago.  Then he got in his truck to go pick up a couple Mexican laborers for his shovel work.
Haha. Yep, if Obama is going to let them in you might as well take advantage. That is why we need more civil and criminal penalties for hiring or helping illegals. Word today is DHS just announced that more Guatemalans and Nicaraguans are allowed to come in, and those here can stay and work, and that they are "fast tracking" Haitian immigration. Beautiful. What would happen, I wonder, if Obama spent so much time, money, and effort on things like the economy, fighting terrorism, or stopping Ebola as he spends fretting about illegals or fringe groups like trannies.

area51drone

I am getting really tired of the media both sensationalizing at times and also downplaying the risk of ebola to try to calm people.   Read this from CNN:

Title of the article: What's more disturbing than Ebola? The outrageous commentary

"If someone has Ebola at a cocktail party, they're contagious and you can catch it from them. -- Sen. Rand Paul, a physician and potential 2016 presidential candidate

Rand Paul: Ebola is not like AIDS

Again, experts say the contact with an infectious person must be tactile, or direct touching, and involve bodily fluids -- blood, sweat, feces, vomit, semen or spit.

People in West Africa are avoiding hugs and handshakes because the virus can be spread through the sweat on someone's hand.

The uninfected person would have to have a break in the skin of their hand that would allow entry of the virus, CNN's Dr. Sanjay Gupta said. But "we all have minor breaks in our skin. And there is a possibility that some of the virus can be transmitted that way."

Paul also made other remarks regarding direct contact: "They say all it takes is direct contact to get this. If you listen carefully, they say being three feet from someone is direct contact. That's not what most Americans think is direct contact."

Without directly addressing Paul's claims about contact over three feet, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Dr. Thomas Frieden indicated that's not a possible mode of transmission for the virus.

Why not address Paul's claims if they are not true?   Why not give us the actual facts?   Why not list out what exactly to avoid and not to avoid?   From reading this description, it sounds pretty fucking bad, IMO.   As I have said before, if someone is sweating and touches a door handle, and then you do as well, you can get it?  That's what it sounds like from reading above.   If you are within a few feet of the person and they cough, I'm assuming some of their saliva is going to get on you.   I'm assuming that means you are likely to catch ebola.   How is that not airborne - because it doesn't stay in the air for 20 minutes?  What if they cough in their hand and then touch a door handle?   Any of this sounds pretty bad.   I was in a bathroom at a restaurant tonight where a guy did just that.  Obviously I don't think he has ebola, but it seems to me that if I were to have unknowingly touching the door handle there's a good chance I could have gotten whatever he had.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, you have the media going crazy listing off every place an ebola patient has been, putting scarlet letters on people.   CNN et. al can't have it both ways.   

Juan

Quote from: VtaGeezer on October 17, 2014, 01:32:59 PM
Halloween is not the important date.  The important date is November 4, Election Day. 

Quick Karl

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on October 17, 2014, 01:50:42 PM
Ah, okay so maybe purely a PR stunt.

Everything Obola does is a PR stunt - THAT IS THE PROBLEM with this moron.

Wow.  Now I remember why I stay out of Politics. 

I spent three of the last five evenings in two different ER's with family members. I'm so grateful that at two of them someone with the intelligence and compassion of Lt.Uhura was involved in the treatment decisions.  Was there also incompetence?  Yup, plenty.  That's why my mother, my two sisters, and I carry lists of treatments and medications for each other.  We ask questions, too.  (Not all at once.  One of us takes the lead at each visit.)
Everyone needs to accept some responsibility.  That's not politics.  That's life.

Btw, I live about an hour-and-a-half from the Bethesda hospital that's now treating one of the positive nurses from Dallas.  I'm still more worried about Hep C, influenza, and measles!!  I wonder how many of the vaccine "refusers" would inject themselves with horse shit if some herbalist said it would prevent Ebola.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Treading Water on October 18, 2014, 07:58:04 AM
Wow.  Now I remember why I stay out of Politics. 

I spent three of the last five evenings in two different ER's with family members. I'm so grateful that at two of them someone with the intelligence and compassion of Lt.Uhura was involved in the treatment decisions.  Was there also incompetence?  Yup, plenty.  That's why my mother, my two sisters, and I carry lists of treatments and medications for each other.  We ask questions, too.  (Not all at once.  One of us takes the lead at each visit.)
Everyone needs to accept some responsibility.  That's not politics.  That's life.

Btw, I live about an hour-and-a-half from the Bethesda hospital that's now treating one of the positive nurses from Dallas.  I'm still more worried about Hep C, influenza, and measles!!  I wonder how many of the vaccine "refusers" would inject themselves with horse shit if some herbalist said it would prevent Ebola.

I love it when you talk dirty.  ;D

albrecht

Quote from: Treading Water on October 18, 2014, 07:58:04 AM
I'm still more worried about Hep C, influenza, and measles!!  I wonder how many of the vaccine "refusers" would inject themselves with horse shit if some herbalist said it would prevent Ebola.
It is sort of bizarre behavior that would have a whole lot of people buy some random chemicals or "herbal remedy" from some guy without any training they see on the internet or hear on a fringe radio show but won't believe a medicine made by a large public corporation and endorsed by doctors with real medical training and experience. It is like the less credentials or scientific proof or history you have, the better. Think on this. Would it really benefit Pfizer, or take your pick, to "cull 80% of the population" by a bad vaccine or releasing Ebola? What would that do to their stock-price? To whom would they sell medicine after the "cull?"

-Having said that I'm aware of abuses of the pharmaceutical industry, mistakes, faked studies, too close relationships with regulators, off-use suggestions for prescriptions, etc. Personally I think they shouldn't be allowed to advertise their products and shouldn't have this government-granted immunity for some of their products, like vaccines.

Last thought: how do the names of Ebola victims get into the press? Do the patients, or their family, approve of this? I recall having doctors/nurses be very circumspect telling ANY information on patients- even family members- without express consent due to HIPPA, privacy, etc.

onan

I believe quarantines are a matter of public record.

albrecht

Quote from: onan on October 18, 2014, 11:57:25 AM
I believe quarantines are a matter of public record.
I think you are right for some of them. (The original Ebola guy in Dallas and his family had a judge determine quarantine. But no legally ordered quarantine for others.) Although there are also these weird "self-quarantines" whose names also have been released. (I have heard of some TB patient, a precious illegal, in California that was quarantined in California recently and his name was released. And then he was released!
http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2014/08/25/man-with-tb-sought-under-quarantine-order-released-back-into-public/ )

Political candidates like to adopt theme songs for themselves.  If more than a handful of Americans catch Ebola due to this Presidents actions and inaction, and/or if ISIS manages a serious event in the US or on our assets abroad, here's one that - due to the uproar that will occur - might be fitting for Obama adopt. 

Keef's prescient tune is clearly about Obola Resigning before he's Impeached:

The Rolling Stones - Before They Make Me Run - Lyrics

Why wait, resign now asswipe

albrecht

Quote from: Paper*Boy on October 18, 2014, 06:18:39 PM
Political candidates like to adopt theme songs for themselves.  If more than a handful of Americans catch Ebola due to this Presidents actions and inaction, and/or if ISIS manages a serious event in the US or on our assets abroad, here's one that - due to the uproar that will occur - might be fitting for Obama adopt. 

Keef's prescient tune is clearly about Obola Resigning before he's Impeached:

The Rolling Stones - Before They Make Me Run - Lyrics

Why wait, resign now asswipe
"Obola", Obama, Soetoro (or whatever name, social security number, and/or passport he is using this decade) will not resign until his goal of "fundamentally transforming" the country is over. And, maybe more importantly at this point since much of his goals to Balkanize and hurt the country have been met, while his golf games, vacations, and White House shindigs are still be covered by our tax dollars.

Avi

Quote from: Kelt on October 15, 2014, 06:07:55 PM
Any time I've looked for Texas' performance in Health and Education 'on the net'  Texas is just about dead last.

Quality of healthcare and the health of the population are two different things. You can lead a horse to water & etc. You can follow the link I supplied to albrecht if you want to look at the actual data rather than persist with stereotypes.

Avi

Quote from: VtaGeezer on October 15, 2014, 04:17:21 PM
That's just more of the typical hubris and platitudes we've been getting from the medical institutions.  Every level has failed in Dallas from the first case presenting for diagnosis to handling infected waste to monitoring the exposed care providers. Every one.  And none of the failures are complicated or high tech.  These are all "WTF??"-level screw-ups.  Mistakes are one thing.  Repeated incompetence where expertise is expected is quite another.  Blame is entirely appropriate when incompetency is left in place and avoids responsibility.  Group hugs won't fix this.  And I can imagine the bill that Dallas Presbyt will send to the govt for their two weeks of fuck-ups that, at best, will cost others millions in associated disruption.

I'm sorry, but I fail to see this as a response to what I wrote. You did not seem to understand what I was saying. Obviously, you are not in healthcare. I can assure you that all of the staff with whom I spoke were not just offering platitudes; they are concerned to do the right thing, both for themselves and for their patients. Do you think the ER staff were gleeful about not understanding the initial presentation of ebola? Hardly. I'm not really interested in the desire to add one more round to the war between the states. Again, the points I was making are these: The events which transpired in re Duncan could have happened anywhere; lack of preparation was not only a factor in Dallas. It is always a factor, in Dallas and across the planet, and for many more diseases/circumstances than ebola. Again, I am not addressing the political aspects with their attendant whining. My sole interest is in disaster management, including chemical and biological agents, and how to make it better. I am not from the USA. How you got into this mess is something you can fight out with the other Americans.

Quote from: Avi on October 18, 2014, 11:05:47 PM
I'm sorry, but I fail to see this as a response to what I wrote. You did not seem to understand what I was saying...

Get used to it