• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell Stream! (No longer in service)

Started by fromwomewhere outthere, October 01, 2011, 11:51:55 PM

linden2k

Quote from: Morgus on April 18, 2013, 12:49:03 PM
Works fine for me right now with the latest version of Firefox v20.0.1
Starts playing right away no need to press any buttons...
Yeah, we haven't changed anything since the switch. Maybe TuneIn's site or shoutcast.com would work for some.

Diabhal

Hi guys!
Love the stream but have a technical issue. I was able to get the stream on my itunes playlist before the recent changes. Is there any way to get it back on my itunes?

Thanks!

linden2k

Quote from: Diabhal on April 19, 2013, 04:00:06 PM
Hi guys!
Love the stream but have a technical issue. I was able to get the stream on my itunes playlist before the recent changes. Is there any way to get it back on my itunes?

Thanks!
http://cent7.directhostingcenter.com/tunein.php/zookrhtd/playlist.pls

That work?

Diabhal

It did. Thank you so much.

analog kid

It's apparently a weekday Ghost to Ghost marathon. Thanks linden. Really enjoying it.

I have some outdoor speakers set up so I can blast it into the woods so the coyotes and chupacabras can hear it.

linden2k

Quote from: analog kid on April 23, 2013, 08:33:46 PM
It's apparently a weekday Ghost to Ghost marathon. Thanks linden. Really enjoying it.

I have some outdoor speakers set up so I can blast it into the woods so the coyotes and chupacabras can hear it.
Not intentional. :) We're still rocking the month of 90s shows.

analog kid

Amazing how I've been listening to those for a lot of years yet there's still some of the G2G I haven't heard yet. Never get tired of listening to those shows in the evenings.

linden2k

Anyone have any requests for next weekend? We're doing a few days of requests.

Tinfoil Hat

Any chance of a Father Malachi Martin marathon?

Or maybe a Michio Kaku marathon?

If all else fails, got any John Titor?

Morgus

Quote from: Tinfoil Hat on May 06, 2013, 05:05:52 PM
If all else fails, got any John Titor?
Art Bell didn't do any shows on John Titor, that was Noory who did those...
Art Bell however had lots of excellent time traveler lines...

linden2k

Quote from: Morgus on May 06, 2013, 05:25:11 PM
Art Bell didn't do any shows on John Titor, that was Noory who did those...
Art Bell however had lots of excellent time traveler lines...

Art did receive faxes from Titor and mentioned them on a show from 2000, which we have in the rotation to air.

Morgus

A c2cam from 1995 is playing now with 'Mad Man Markham'
Art told a caller that his show aired from 11pm to 4am on the west coast back then, a full five hours.

ManiacMatt

I recently heard Art on the fineart stream state that they were archiving live streaming video of him doing the show.  He said that is was available (back then of course) at broadcast.com, which just takes you to Yahoo now.  Does anyone have any of these recordings?  I've seen several screen/cam shots of Art at the mic, but never an actual live video.  I never realized that he did a live video feed. 

Morgus

Yeah I remember when in the 90s broadcast.com had recorded streaming of art's shows for free so you could catch up the next day if you missed some of the show the previous night.
Of course back then we only had slow dial-up modem internet access, so the audio quality was pretty poor compared to today using low bitrates.
All the broadcast.com files seemed to just disappear after the site was gone many years ago, unless somebody managed to download and save some of them. I remember some site had saved a bunch of the original old real-audio format audio files of several of Art's shows that were from broadcast.com years back, but you had to download and save them since that site as well disappeared years ago.

Art experimented with an early low-res webcam during the show in the 90s, though it was more like a series of still pictures due to slow frame rate.
He started that even before the internet was popular, using a dial-in modem you could connect to his phone line modem for a minute and see the live pictures/slow video, one person at a time. He also had a simple text chat at the same time so you could send him a short text message like "wave to me" and he would do it on the camera...

linden2k

Quote from: Morgus on May 08, 2013, 05:31:53 PM
Yeah I remember when in the 90s broadcast.com had recorded streaming of art's shows for free so you could catch up the next day if you missed some of the show the previous night.
Of course back then we only had slow dial-up modem internet access, so the audio quality was pretty poor compared to today using low bitrates.
All the broadcast.com files seemed to just disappear after the site was gone many years ago, unless somebody managed to download and save some of them. I remember some site had saved a bunch of the original old real-audio format audio files of several of Art's shows that were from broadcast.com years back, but you had to download and save them since that site as well disappeared years ago.

Art experimented with an early low-res webcam during the show in the 90s, though it was more like a series of still pictures due to slow frame rate.
He started that even before the internet was popular, using a dial-in modem you could connect to his phone line modem for a minute and see the live pictures/slow video, one person at a time. He also had a simple text chat at the same time so you could send him a short text message like "wave to me" and he would do it on the camera...

You can hear him in the early 90s referencing a lot of website updates and I believe he was one of the first major radio shows to stream over the net, which wasn't easy when most people had 14.4 and 28.8 modems.

Juan

I believe he was THE first to do video streaming.  Of course, HAM radio operators had been experimenting with television of various kinds for decades.  I always thought it was fitting for Art to be on the front edge of the new technology.

Morgus

Quote from: linden2k on May 09, 2013, 09:01:15 AM
You can hear him in the early 90s referencing a lot of website updates and I believe he was one of the first major radio shows to stream over the net, which wasn't easy when most people had 14.4 and 28.8 modems.
And I remember pre-internet probably 1993-94, when Art had a modem-based BBS system where you could use your dial-up modem and register to download files like a photo of Max the crystal skull.  ;D

Quote from: Morgus on May 09, 2013, 12:52:44 PM
And I remember pre-internet probably 1993-94, when Art had a modem-based BBS system where you could use your dial-up modem and register to download files like a photo of Max the crystal skull.  ;D

I think we may have had internet access then in my university engineering department but I guess it still wasn't in the public domain.  Probably we were just getting it for the first time.

Quote from: Morgus on May 09, 2013, 12:52:44 PM

yeah he had the Titor documents up on the bbs

Quote from: linden2k on May 06, 2013, 12:52:41 PM
Anyone have any requests for next weekend? We're doing a few days of requests.

Do you have any "truth or trash?" episodes?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: 999 on May 09, 2013, 03:52:15 PM

those were great shows.  i don't know if i've ever heard an archived version of a single one of them.  i don't think i have any in my archive, and mine is huge.

jazmunda

Quote from: MV on May 09, 2013, 05:20:20 PM

those were great shows.  i don't know if i've ever heard an archived version of a single one of them.  i don't think i have any in my archive, and mine is huge.

As much as I am loathed to post a link to the Coasttocoatam.com website, there was a Somewhere In Time episode on this about a year ago:

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/show/2012/05/26/art

I have it in my archive MV. If you are interested I could Drop box it to you.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: jazmunda on May 09, 2013, 05:42:48 PM
I have it in my archive MV. If you are interested I could Drop box it to you.

please do.  thx much.

Morgus

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on May 09, 2013, 01:32:29 PM
I think we may have had internet access then in my university engineering department but I guess it still wasn't in the public domain.  Probably we were just getting it for the first time.
yeah there were a few with internet earlier on, but it wasn't mainstream where Art had a website until around 1995 after MIcrosoft including a web browser part of Windows 95.
Before that many had services like Compuserve and AOL that had lots of content, before generic low cost internet ISPs appeared.

Morgus

They were part of Art's open lines back in the 90s, so are difficult to tell from show titles.
Art would also sometimes setup a debate between two callers on some issue during open lines too.

Quote from: Morgus on May 09, 2013, 06:14:10 PM
yeah there were a few with internet earlier on, but it wasn't mainstream where Art had a website until around 1995 after MIcrosoft including a web browser part of Windows 95.
Before that many had services like Compuserve and AOL that had lots of content, before generic low cost internet ISPs appeared.

Yeah you're right.  We were using Sun systems, and I think we had just graduated to X Windows from UNIX.  Not exactly consumer grade stuff.  Anyway, it was kind of an irrelevant post on my part I suppose.

linden2k

We've got two 'truth or trash' shows.  I will throw them into the playlist and they should get into the rotation sometime this week.

ziznak

I'm back to listening to the stream instead of coast lately... good stuff!  By far the best stream I've found on shoutcast... and the most popular apparently.  I gotta say it again good work.

linden2k

Quote from: ziznak on May 14, 2013, 12:45:10 AM
I'm back to listening to the stream instead of coast lately... good stuff!  By far the best stream I've found on shoutcast... and the most popular apparently.  I gotta say it again good work.

Thanks for listening! We've been getting 800-1,000 listeners a night.

Quote from: linden2k on May 15, 2013, 01:10:02 PM
Thanks for listening! We've been getting 800-1,000 listeners a night.

It wouldn't surprise me to find out that's about how many tune in and actually listen to  George's show