• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Quote from: albrecht on September 07, 2020, 12:16:10 PM

1996-02-18 Dreamland, for what it is worth Art pondered about taking his own life he had some awful painful disease or something. Paraphrased "if dealing with a terrible disease I might just take the easy way out." Guests (Betty Luca and Raymond Fowler) disagreed, Betty most vehemently. but politely, that sometimes pain is necessary for various religious/spiritual reasons and also it is not up to us to decide when to die.

I've heard shows where Art said the exact opposite too. That he and Romana believed that you have to tough it out and wait for your natural end. Hard to know what Art really thought and what was just conversational posturing to make more compelling radio.

ItsOver

Quote from: TheMan WhoFell ToEarth on September 08, 2020, 01:05:42 PM
I've heard shows where Art said the exact opposite too. That he and Romana believed that you have to tough it out and wait for your natural end. Hard to know what Art really thought and what was just conversational posturing to make more compelling radio.
Yes.  Part of what made him The Master of The Night also made it hard to decipher him at the personal level.  At his time, “Mysterious, yet strangely reassuring.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/the-outer-limits-a-lone-voice-in-the-desert-lures-10-million-listeners/2013/10/28/95615598-3ff6-11e3-9c8b-e8deeb3c755b_story.html

Roswells, Art

I've heard shows where Art said the exact opposite too. That he and Romana believed that you have to tough it out and wait for your natural end.

Quote from: ItsOver on September 08, 2020, 01:17:33 PM
Yes.  Part of what made him The Master of The Night also made it hard to decipher him at the personal level.  At his time, “Mysterious, yet strangely reassuring.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/the-outer-limits-a-lone-voice-in-the-desert-lures-10-million-listeners/2013/10/28/95615598-3ff6-11e3-9c8b-e8deeb3c755b_story.html

True. Maybe he was referring to bodily ailments like cancer at the time and not something that takes away your ability to think. Also, remember that time he said he was in his studio and heard pounding on the door, got his firearm, opened the door and their was no one there? I suppose that could have been part of the mystery he was trying to project but now I wonder if it was an audio hallucination caused by the initial stages of dementia or alzheimers. I don't know what year that happened but I think dementia can start out years before anyone notices. I look back and remember times where I thought something my family member said seemed a little out of character but it was fleeting so I didn't give it much thought. Now I know that it was the very beginning stage.

Roswells, Art

Also, my diagnosis would also explain Art's terrible choices he made like deciding to go back on the air and all those people he hired, Amy, Leo, Rubini, Wade, I'm sure there's more.

Corona Kitty

Quote from: Roswells, Art on September 08, 2020, 02:37:55 PM
Also, my diagnosis would also explain Art's terrible choices he made like deciding to go back on the air and all those people he hired, Amy, Leo, Rubini, Wade, I'm sure there's more.

That's 100% correct.

K_Dubb

I'm listening, but does it also explain his UFO story, or the ouija board?  People who want to take the stalker as complete a fabrication forget that he had a history of tall tales told for entertainment which may or may not have their genesis in an overactive imagination.  Those earlier ones are no more believable.

SredniVashtar

He certainly appeared to be losing his grip, but we mostly know him from when he was married to Ramona, who sounded like she acted as his handler and channelled his instincts. Married to that child bride it's no wonder he wandered off the reservation. He also led a very sedentary life for a long time and it can't help your mental acuity if you spend most of your life shuffling between your double-wide and ham shack. For what it's worth, I think there was a kernel of truth (at least in his mind) to the shooting incident but he blew it way out of proportion. He was clearly looking to stop doing the show and it was a convenient pretext. Also, his COPD can't have helped his decision-making.

Jackstar

Quote from: TheSheriff on September 07, 2020, 11:55:18 AM
it's pretty heartbreaking stuff.

Hard to know what Art really thought

Quote from: ItsOver on September 08, 2020, 01:17:33 PM
Part of what made him The Master of The Night

Also, my diagnosis would also explain

Quote from: SredniVashtar on September 08, 2020, 04:11:57 PM
He certainly appeared to be losing his grip

Quote from: Corona Kitty on September 08, 2020, 03:04:23 PM
That's 100% correct.

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on September 07, 2020, 12:20:52 PM
Just a few months later, huh? Hmm... ???

Quote from: albrecht on September 07, 2020, 12:16:10 PM
sometimes pain is necessary for various religious/spiritual reasons and also it is not up to us to decide when to die.

Quote from: Uncle Duke on September 07, 2020, 12:10:59 PM
Thankfully he got over it quickly

I'm not gonna lie--once again, it is hard to overstate my satisfaction with how recent events have unfolded, but I'm going to give it a shot here:

QuoteYou're all (CENSORED) and (REDACTED). Now, drop and give me twenty."

NAILED_IT.jpg
XOXO

Roswells, Art

Quote from: K_Dubb on September 08, 2020, 03:23:38 PM
I'm listening, but does it also explain his UFO story, or the ouija board?  People who want to take the stalker as complete a fabrication forget that he had a history of tall tales told for entertainment which may or may not have their genesis in an overactive imagination.  Those earlier ones are no more believable.

His UFO story could have happened, maybe it was us with our own technology. The Ouija story was a bit dramatic.  The difference is that rodents, audio hallucinations and seeing people inside and outside your house are what I've come to know as symptoms of dementia. Those stories you mentioned don't seem to be in the same category. Also blood flowing to your brain in my uneducated opinion seems to be integral to brain health. Art's lung's weren't in great shape.

Also, people, stop eating cholesterol, I don't want this to happen to your loved ones.

Jackstar

K_Dubb

Quote from: Roswells, Art on September 08, 2020, 04:31:33 PM
His UFO story could have happened, maybe it was us with our own technology. The Ouija story was a bit dramatic.  The difference is that rodents, audio hallucinations and seeing people inside and outside your house are what I've come to know as symptoms of dementia. Those stories you mentioned don't seem to be in the same category. Also blood flowing to your brain in my uneducated opinion seems to be integral to brain health. Art's lung's weren't in great shape.

Also, people, stop eating cholesterol, I don't want this to happen to most some of you.

Come to think of it wasn't there an earlier shadow person story, too?

I do think it's an intriguing possibility.  My dad sees cute little birds and small children peeping out from behind doors he waves at, but he has always been irrepressibly sanguine.  I could see how the same things could be interpreted as threats by a person inclined to paranoia, which he doubtless was.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: K_Dubb on September 08, 2020, 04:59:55 PM

I do think it's an intriguing possibility.  My dad sees cute little birds and small children peeping out from behind doors he waves at, but he has always been irrepressibly sanguine.  I could see how the same things could be interpreted as threats by a person inclined to paranoia, which he doubtless was.

'Intriguing' seems a bit rubbernecky. Your dad sounds lovely.

I don't remember the shadow person story.  It's not enough to change my opinion though because there was a definite change between healthy Art and his stories and the one we got toward the end.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Roswells, Art on September 08, 2020, 05:19:11 PM
'Intriguing' seems a bit rubbernecky. Your dad sounds lovely.

I don't remember the shadow person story.  It's not enough to change my opinion though because there was a definite change between healthy Art and his stories and the one we got toward the end.

Haha smiling and waving are not out of character, but wiggling his fingers to someone who is not there certainly is.

I do not remember listening to Art and thinking he sounded old and forgetful, though, which preceded the hallucinations in my dad's case by years and years.  Maybe a lapse in judging what made entertaining radio -- the light-bulb incident, the flat earth debate -- but never an awkward segue or reaching for a word or forgetting his place in a narrative.  It would have been hard to mask those symptoms in a single hours-long show, let alone the dozens he put out before he quit.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on September 08, 2020, 04:59:55 PM

He did and it was many years after his show introduced the world to "Shadow People" during a show with "an elder" named Harley 'Swiftdeer' Reagan- AKA Thunderstrikes. And after years of Dave Norway having Heidi Hollis, who took over Thunderstrikes idea and wrote books about 'shadow people' that expanded to 'hat man' and other absurdity. Norry said he had seen 'shadow rodents' before.  Then on one of the reboot shows Art talks about his experiences: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgP1-KAahZA

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on September 08, 2020, 05:31:35 PM
He did and it was many years after his show introduced the world to "Shadow People" during a show with "an elder" named Harley 'Swiftdeer' Reagan- AKA Thunderstrikes. And after years of Dave Norway having Heidi Hollis, who took over Thunderstrikes idea and wrote books about 'shadow people' that expanded to 'hat man' and other absurdity. Norry said he had seen 'shadow rodents' before.  Then on one of the reboot shows Art talks about his experiences: 

Thanks!  Ok 2015, that's pretty late.  Could be a sign.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: K_Dubb on September 08, 2020, 05:30:49 PM
Haha smiling and waving are not out of character, but wiggling his fingers to someone who is not there certainly is.

I do not remember listening to Art and thinking he sounded old and forgetful, though, which preceded the hallucinations in my dad's case by years and years.  Maybe a lapse in judging what made entertaining radio -- the light-bulb incident, the flat earth debate -- but never an awkward segue or reaching for a word or forgetting his place in a narrative.  It would have been hard to mask those symptoms in a single hours-long show, let alone the dozens he put out before he quit.

I hope you're right. I've also learned people with dementia go to doctor's appointments like they are trying to pass a test of normalcy instead of trying to get the help they seriously need, meaning they hide it.

Quote from: K_Dubb on September 08, 2020, 05:42:42 PM
Thanks!  Ok 2015, that's pretty late.  Could be a sign.

Wow. Some interesting stuff on Bellgab again. I guess the Rubini wave is over again?

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on September 08, 2020, 05:44:14 PM
Wow. Some interesting stuff on Bellgab again. I guess the Rubini wave is over again?

Jack said he was Rubini. Makes sense given how hard his girlfriend is pimping for him.  ;)

ItsOver

Quote from: albrecht on September 08, 2020, 05:31:35 PM

I wonder what you have when you see shadow rodents.  Nooronia?

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on September 08, 2020, 05:48:26 PM
Jack said he was Rubini. Makes sense given how hard his girlfriend is pimping for him.  ;)

Oh. The girlfriend is real?  I had assumed that she was K_Dubb and that they were messing with us in some sort of plot. I also assumed that Rubini was another poster. 
How confusing.  Are you still you Doc?   

Quote from: ItsOver on September 08, 2020, 05:56:18 PM
I wonder what you have when you see shadow rodents.  Nooronia?

I don't know but Senda has raccoons sneaking into his groovy pad and stealing cat food. Just thought you should know...........

Jackstar

Quote from: Roswells, Art on September 08, 2020, 05:42:53 PM
I've also learned people with dementia go to doctor's appointments

Prove it.

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on September 08, 2020, 05:48:26 PM
Jack said he was Rubini.

Prove it.

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on September 08, 2020, 05:56:21 PM
Oh. The girlfriend is real?

Prove it.

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on September 08, 2020, 05:57:55 PM
Senda has raccoons

Where's my Chalice? I need to hold that. I need to hold that NOW.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on September 08, 2020, 05:56:21 PM
Oh. The girlfriend is real?  I had assumed that she was K_Dubb and that they were messing with us in some sort of plot. I also assumed that Rubini was another poster. 
How confusing.  Are you still you Doc?   

Maybe. I’m not sure anymore. You’re not him, are you?

chefist

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on September 08, 2020, 05:57:55 PM
I don't know but Senda has raccoons sneaking into his groovy pad and stealing cat food. Just thought you should know...........

Hats off to "Rubini"...great troll to go back and find some obscure player in the old Art Bell universe. I'm pretty sure the real Rubini is chained in Groyper's basement along with Amy on the Radio and the 4 Princes of Bellgab (sorry Ros)! God bless him.

Jackstar

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on September 08, 2020, 06:02:19 PM
You’re not him, are you?

[attachment=1,msg1419524]
^^^^^^^

Quote from: Jackstar on September 08, 2020, 06:01:59 PM
Prove it.

Hoo boy.  Doable. Not fun......................

Jackstar

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on September 08, 2020, 06:07:17 PM
Hoo boy.  Doable. Not fun......................

Feel free to pick one of the easier ones. Also, you might find the mathematics a little less challenging--and infinitely more accurate--if you'd watch out where you put your decimal points.

;)

albrecht

Quote from: Roswells, Art on September 08, 2020, 05:42:53 PM
I hope you're right. I've also learned people with dementia go to doctor's appointments like they are trying to pass a test of normalcy instead of trying to get the help they seriously need, meaning they hide it.
I've been joking, but not really, that ever since he got the nomination that the first question the debate proctor or, better yet, Trump should ask Biden is "draw a clock."

Quote from: Jackstar on September 08, 2020, 06:08:46 PM
Feel free to pick one of the easier ones. Also, you might find the mathematics a little less challenging--and infinitely more accurate--if you'd watch out where you put your decimal points.

;)

Oh man. Flash backs to me trying to help my kid with her Calculus homework.  Always ended up something like this..............