• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Things That Annoy You

Started by onan, May 22, 2011, 02:41:35 AM

ziznak

Whoa this lady on Coast just touched on a lot of whats been discussed in this thread... letting kids win at games gives them a false sense of superiority!! It's kinda true I'm sure we've all run into those spoiled kids that cry when you beat their little asses in candyland and then spike the kids face into the game board... buck up you little shit this is the real world and you LOSE... get used to it!! (okay maybe I went a little overboard)

Eddie Coyle

That I just received a "Never Forget 9/11" e-mail from a well-meaning acquaintance.

Because if I were to forget 9/11, of course it would be likely to occur on say...September 11.

Also a little annoyed that a dingbat who forgets everything is telling ME, with the eidetic memory, "to not forget".I remember Sept 10, 2001 like it was yesterday, so... >:( >:( >:(

coaster

The whole never forget thing annoys me, but mainly because of whats happening on tv. last night there was a show on called "voices from the towers" which aired, you guessed it, people dying. thats not a way to remember, thats a snuff film. These networks have had a huge payday by making us "remember" with really stupid shows. They have turned a tragedy into a huge paycheck. I'm surprised hallmark doesnt have a never forget card.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: UFO Fill on September 10, 2012, 06:14:01 PM
Corporate management that makes stupid decisions, then the employees suffer for it.  The small company I worked for had a mass firing this morning - 10 of the 25 people who worked there.  Reason given - sales are down, which they are.  Except, of course, no one in the sales department was fired.  The management produced a new product that did not sell, and, at the same time, neglected the core business.

Oh, well, maybe Obama will send me a check.

when i worked in the corporate world (radio), the sales staff was almost always comprised of 30-40 year old high-maintenance women who had rich husbands and who often had affairs with management largely for the purpose of self promotion.  these sales creatures were NEVER fired.  they were impervious to whatever bullshit might be happening to the rest of us in the company.

ziznak

Quote from: MV on September 11, 2012, 12:29:30 PM

when i worked in the corporate world (radio), the sales staff was almost always comprised of 30-40 year old high-maintenance women who had rich husbands and who often had affairs with management largely for the purpose of self promotion.  these sales creatures were NEVER fired.  they were impervious to whatever bullshit might be happening to the rest of us in the company.
Whats worse is that you were only witnesses to these monsters in the late pupae stage.  When given time to mature the true sales hag comes to full molt in their 50's and are a bane to all telephone support techs everywhere.  The male counter-part to the sales hag isn't that much easier to deal with but will tend to be more familiar with his "right click left click" and following instructions.

stevesh

Quote from: ziznak on September 11, 2012, 01:09:54 PM
Whats worse is that you were only witnesses to these monsters in the late pupae stage.  When given time to mature the true sales hag comes to full molt in their 50's and are a bane to all telephone support techs everywhere.  The male counter-part to the sales hag isn't that much easier to deal with but will tend to be more familiar with his "right click left click" and following instructions.

Amen, brother. Love the new avatar.

Quote from: MV on September 11, 2012, 12:29:30 PM

... women who had rich husbands and who often had affairs with management... were NEVER fired...

Now there's a mystery

Sardondi

Quote from: MV on September 11, 2012, 12:29:30 PM...30-40 year old high-maintenance women who had rich husbands and who often had affairs with management largely for the purpose of self promotion.  these sales creatures were NEVER fired....

Quote from: Paper*Boy on September 11, 2012, 06:45:52 PM

Now there's a mystery

Ah, the power of strange stuff...or at least stuff with which one is no more than barely acquainted. It makes you do all kind sof otherwise inexplicable, even obviously self-destructive things. And these women know it; even count on it. Hank Williams, Jr. explained 90% of life with his song, "I Like To Have Women I've Never Had".

Hank Williams jr - Women I've Never Had

Eddie Coyle

That a collective of  vampiric plagiarists, despoilers, larcenists and products of rank nepotism have the utter audacity to call themselves "The Creative Coalition".

Falkie2013

Quote from: The General on May 22, 2011, 12:53:49 PM
I work in a neighborhood overrun by homeless people.  And I hate them.  Yes, I am using the word hate directed at this 'underprivileged' group of people.  Know why?  Because they are not underprivileged, they are scam artists.  I see it every day, the same people, the same stories; these people should have been actors.  The speed at which they can cry on demand for some poor tourist is astonishing.  They go instantly from laughing it up with their buddies in the alley to giving an overbearing sob story to some poor family of four from Ferndale. 

I can't walk 2 blocks to the market and back without getting hit up for money at least 6 times.  I am not exaggerating.  I know for a fact that some of these people have bank accounts flush with cash.  I also know for a fact that you can pretty much get free food any time of the day here in this bleeding heart metropolis of enablers.  It's a non-stop party in the streets for these people and they get by on victimizing people through guilt and scare tactics.  They are human parasites.  My fair city has dealt with the problem by running these people out of all the nicer surrounding areas, and corralling them all into MY neighborhood.  And they are damn lucky that I don't run things.  My homeless policy as mayor?  Work camps.

Hope that wasn't too political for you Onan.  It's what pissed me off today.

I do remember a mention in the late Herb Caen's column where a passerby saw a Mercedes pull up to Union Square in SF. This was back in the '70's. The driver was dressed in a suit and out of the car came a shabbily dressed woman and a young boy. The driver told the woman that he'd be back to pick them up at 6 when he got off of work. She proceeded to go into the park and beg for change.

Not all homeless people are scam artists. Some are victims of circumstance or even become homeless due to actions of their landlords which are beyond their control.

In 1996, my aged Mother had back surgery. I had to go attend her in the hospital and at home and neglected my own life. I had numerous battles with my landlord in Oakland including 58 days with no hot water. I had lived in that apartment for 6 years. At the end of that year, I was evicted and his property management office did something with records so as to ensure I could not rent an apartment for 2 years.

But unlike a lot of homeless ( remember when we used to call them bums and winos ? ), I didn't ask others for money. I lived in my car for 6 months and wound up with pneumonia in the winter of that year living in my car in a very cold San Francisco with 2 cats in the car with me.

I moved to Santa Rosa and lived with a friend for a year and then moved back to the Bay Area, moved in with my ex-girlfriend and finally got the property management company to remove the impediment from my getting an apartment.

In 1998, I found an apartment in Concord. In October of 2001, the landlord, who owns dozens of apartments around the Bay Area ( his apartments have a diamond symbol on his signs ) decided that he wanted to renovate the building and turn it into condos. So I became homeless again. I moved back in with my gf but didn't manage to find a place to live until 8 years ago when I moved into a senior building.

When I lived in San Francisco, I found that it was almost impossible to walk down Market Street without being accosted by the spare change types. I once walked down Turk St to Market and then up Kearney to Bush to pay my phone bill. I literally got stopped every block for change. I used to have a button I would wear which really made the bums mad. ( I wish I still had it ).

It said : " Spare change ? Do you have any you'd like to give ME ? "

In 1996, I had a knee injury which made me walk on crutches. I was walking with my groceries down the sidewalk near Lake Merrit and one guy literally hounded me all the way down the street asking for money. I told him to go away and he finally did.

I once worked one Christmas as a bell ringer in S.F.

I met 2 guys who camped out in front of the old Emporium department store with a shopping cart with all the paraphenalia for their 4 well behaved cats. ( My cats would have freaked out being on such a heavily travelled street ! ). I finally asked them what they did the rest of the time. Both of them were on welfare and they lived in a Tenderloin hotel. They told me they made between $ 90 and $ 150 a day each just sitting there in front of the store.

In the 1970s I moved into a kind of communal place in the Haight Ashbury and rented a room. One of the girls there was very pretty, very busty with long dark hair and was very pregnant. Every guy who met her wanted to go to bed with her.

She used to go out with a very low cut dress on with multiple petticoats on it and stand on the street and ask for change for the baby.

One day she came home holding the dress with the petticoats in her hands and came into my room and dropped the petticoats. On the bed showered a cascade of change. We sat there and counted it. It came to $ 450.

I was reading a book about Conservatism and even the Romans had problems with spare changers way back then. They taxed the people to pay for the first form of welfare for the poor.

Some things never change.

But I'm off topic.

Things that really piss me off :

waiters that say " enjoy " before you've eaten one bite of food
waiters that bring your order and never return to ask if you'd like more coffee or water,etc.

once at a buffet at a major SF airport hotel on a football playoff Sunday, I waited for an hour for the water to return to bring me more coffee. I finally went into the kitchen and grabbed a pot of coffee. The people in the kitchen asked me what I was doing. I told them my waiter had obviously been abducted by aliens because I hadn't seen him since he brought my coffee in an hour. I told the manager about it, he apologized and I got the meal for free. I later found out he really read the guy the riot act about him not coming back.

people saying have a nice day when I feel like crap at a store

clerks asking if I need help, yet when I need help you can't find a clerk if you throw out a net

seat belt laws, car registration taxes, license plate light laws and other laws that are solely intended to generate money for the state and the counties and have nothing to do with safety

companies with interminable explanations for why they can't answer the phone, with insipid music and multiple button pushes to get a human

your call is important to us - if its so important answer the damned phone

doctors offices and other numbers that are either always busy or their voice mail is full when you're trying to either ask a question or make an appointment

the same places that never return calls despite you're having to call multiple times and leaving your phone number

companies that still call me to sell me stuff even though my number is on the national do not call list

Falkie2013

I forgot one that really annoys me.

People including my girlfriend whom no matter how much instruction you give them or how many times you show them, still can't seem to understand the rudimentary concepts of how to do very basic things on computers, phones, or other tech stuff.

I was talking to her about getting her a new Imac since her pc died. She told me she will never be able to understand how to do things on a Mac or pc, yet can quote chapter and verse of every detail of Hello Kitty, Pokemon or all the Allen/Predator films.

I've shown her multiple times on pcs and Macs ( I'm a Mac guy who still has my Apple ][ e's, ][ GS's and other Apples and game systems  and go back to the teletype, punch cards, Cobol, Fortran and paper tape ).

Despite this, I constantly have to show her over and over how to find web sites and somehow she can't stop beating on the mouse multiple times or somehow causing my Mac to lock up. My Imac is a year old with the maximum amount of memory and I've seen her do stuff that I didn't think was possible on a Mac. I have books that go back to the first Macs and have one of the first Macs in my closet. I used to have 21 Macs in here, people used to move and give me all their old stuff.

When I took computer science courses at DVC in Sacramento, I went into the lab one day and met a guy who told me he was required to learn how to use a computer for his work as a mechanic at a car dealership.

He had a book and software that told him how to use a pc from the ground up first basic steps.

Yet despite this and despite my trying to show him about 10 times he could not understand what it meant to hit either the return key or the enter key despite doing it numerous times.

I don't know if these people are incredibly techonologically challenged or just idiots when it comes to using devices that should be easy to lean.

I finally gave up in disgust. I never saw the guy in the lab again and assume he had to find some other employment. He was hopeless.

Falkie2013

I had to take BART ( the local subway ) to SF for my allergy tests yesterday. I found out I'm only allergic to 27 ( ! ) kinds of grasses which is why I keep getting sinusitis.

At one point, a guy came on carrying a damned accordion of all things and he had a woman with him who had a baby in a stroller.

They go from car to car and he plays the thing while she goes up and down and shakes her cup in people's faces and asks for money.

The BART cops came on looking for the guy but if they see them they get off at the next stop.

I constantly see kids selling that crappy school candy and black guys playing either 3 card monte or the shell game on the trains.

I went out and told the train operator about the accordian guy at the next stop.

On the way back, a drunk got on at Embarcadero and while we going under the Bay in the tunnel he went to one of the seats and sat ON a 12 year old kid with his Mother sitting next to him. She told him to get off her kid and he kept babbling to himself and got off in Concord after complaining that the train wouldn't stop.

The BA cop who showed up knew all about the drunk when she talked to the woman and me. He's a regular and is constantly drunk. She also knew about the accordion guy. They keep trying to catch him in the act but he's been eluding them for months. I've seen him on the trains before.

In the stations in downtown SF, there are numerous " performance artists " who set up shop with their guitar, violin, chello, clarinet cases and regale people with either their singing or playing. I call them " El Kabongs " after the Quick Draw McGraw character who sang and played so badly that it was painful to listen to.

Sadly a few of them who play instruments are quite talented and should be in an orchestra somewhere, but the singers sound like someone's dog is dying and no one has the nerve to tell them to shut up.

Only in SF I guess, though I suspect its endemic around the country.

This is why we drive our cars rather than take public transit to and from the city.

Too many crazies and scam artists.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Falkie2013

Quote from: McPhallus on September 05, 2012, 04:20:16 PM
Shady people who, when I'm at the gas station, approach me asking for money (with a sob story, of course), with the promise that if I go back to their car with them I can take anything I want.  Then I get all jittery and want to GTFO of there ASAP.

Once I worked at an AM/PM in Sacramento. A family was in their car asking people for money. My Manager asked me to go out and tell them to leave. She told the other employees that I was good at telling those types to leave.

I went out and told them to leave. Their story was that they needed to get to Stockton.

A week later I was asked to fill in at another station overnight and went out to empty the garbage cans and who did I find ?

Same damned family.

This time they were telling people they needed to go to L.A. .

We got this problem constantly and I had to continually call the cops to get the ones to leave who would refuse to and would tell me and the other employees to go fuck themselves and that we couldn't make them leave.

HorrorRetro

In a similar vein, it annoys me when I go to a store and the cashier initiates charity requests at the checkout line.  When did this begin, a few years ago?  You're ready to pay, and the cashier asks, "Would you like to donate to xxx? or would you like to round up for xxxx?"  It's at almost every store.  I donate to charities of my choice every single month.  I don't want to be asked this every time I run to the store.

My latest "charity" annoyance and the one that disgusts me the most is kids' sports requests.  I've seen kids with their parents standing by, walking in the middle of traffic at stop lights and coming up to car windows and requesting money for their sports teams or individual sporting activities. 

Excuse me, but when did it become MY responsibility to pay for YOUR kid's sporting activities?  When my daughter was in Civil Air Patrol, we paid her way.  We skipped eating out or didn't have cable TV.  We never asked anyone for anything.  When she was in band, we didn't send her out in traffic begging for money.  It's disgusting. 

Ben Shockley

Tuesday night I had to go necessity-shopping.  Between a car tank of gas and 1 cart full of non-luxuries (mostly bargain-priced food) at Wal Mart I blew the hell out of $200.
In the parking lot, I was approached by a guy (with a bicycle) who gave me a rap about being homeless and needing a few bucks.  I looked him in the eyes while talking to him and I gave him the only 2 single bills in my wallet, after showing him that that was all I had.

Zircon

Quote from: Ben Shockley on September 12, 2012, 10:58:45 AM
Tuesday night I had to go necessity-shopping.  Between a car tank of gas and 1 cart full of non-luxuries (mostly bargain-priced food) at Wal Mart I blew the hell out of $200.
In the parking lot, I was approached by a guy (with a bicycle) who gave me a rap about being homeless and needing a few bucks.  I looked him in the eyes while talking to him and I gave him the only 2 single bills in my wallet, after showing him that that was all I had.
I guess it is good that the encounter happened after you spent the money. Might have offered him some food. He probably spent the $2 on a beer or lottery tickets.

Ben Shockley

Quote from: Zircon on September 12, 2012, 11:03:13 AM
I guess it is good that the encounter happened after you spent the money. Might have offered him some food. He probably spent the $2 on a beer or lottery tickets.
No, if I had thought more about it, I probably would have invited him home for a shower.   And no lottery around here.  If he spent it on beer, I wouldn't begrudge him.  That was my point, Zircon.   En contra de posts above.

Juan

I was recently approached by a clearly alcoholic, poorly dressed, homeless appearing African-American gentleman who said to me, "Hey, I need 50-cents.  I ain't gonna lie to you - that's how much more I need to by a bottle of Mad Dog."

I gave him the 50-cents in reward for his honesty.

Quote from: HorrorRetro on September 12, 2012, 10:17:24 AM
In a similar vein, it annoys me when I go to a store and the cashier initiates charity requests at the checkout line.  When did this begin, a few years ago?  You're ready to pay, and the cashier asks, "Would you like to donate to xxx? or would you like to round up for xxxx?"  It's at almost every store.  I donate to charities of my choice every single month.  I don't want to be asked this every time I run to the store...

I look them straight in the eye and say "I get pan-handled all day long, and I really don't appreciate being pan-handled in the store".  Then when I get home I send an email to corp HQ. 

One time in downtown San Francisco there were several police officers - in uniform - on the curb asking people in cars stopped at the light for contibutions to something or other.  When my turn came I told the officer the same thing about being "pan-handled all day long and now the police are doing it?".  It really embarrassed her, and it took her a couple moments to tell me all I had to do was say no.  Fuck tha police.

Ben Shockley

Quote from: Paper*Boy on September 12, 2012, 12:04:33 PM
...Then when I get home I send an email to corp HQ.
Do that, don't go off on employees.

Quote from: Paper*Boy on September 12, 2012, 12:04:33 PM... there were several police officers - in uniform -  Fuck tha police.
Correct response.  Any people who daily claim to have to kill people because they are so "in fear for their lives" every second can't be begging money from the people they think are always out to kill them.

HorrorRetro

I've never seen the police do that.  The firefighters do go out in traffic each year for the MDA Fill the Boot campaign.  I'm not a heartless bitch; I do always try to contribute when they are out.  Another exception is for the veterans' poppies and forget-me-not flowers each year.  I will drive to an ATM and get money out for them. 

I, too, don't really mind the guys that are honest and say they want the money for booze.  I'd give them a buck or two if I had cash.  No, it's the scammers that I refuse to contribute to. There was a news story a few years back when I was living in Spokane, WA, and they followed a group of these "poor homeless" people. They were anything but poor and homeless.  You will run into them several times a week, and they always have a similar story.

Speaking of police, the Spokane PD has a horrible rep for murdering unarmed individuals.  Look up the Otto Zehm case sometime.   A retarded janitor who was beaten to death in a Zip Trip.  The cop was found guilty finally, but he's still out in the public. The other day, Spokane Valley PD killed another unarmed guy with shots from a handgun and a shotgun.  So glad I don't live on that side of the state anymore.  It had gotten so bad that the general public were genuinely afraid to encounter the police.

stevesh

Quote from: HorrorRetro on September 12, 2012, 12:18:51 PM

Speaking of police, the Spokane PD has a horrible rep for murdering unarmed individuals.    It had gotten so bad that the general public were genuinely afraid to encounter the police.

Here in Michigan, a homeless mentally ill guy in Saginaw sporting a knife was shot 46 times by 6 police officers. I'm convinced the police want to shoot all of us if they can get away with it.

Also, with apologies to sardondi, I'm sure that the police and prosecutors would much rather convict the wrong man for a crime than no one. It seems sometimes that they don't care if the suspect is likely to be guilty, as long as they think they can secure a plea.

ziznak

Not only in SF Falkie those types can be found here in Philly I assure you.  The numbers are climbing though and I guess as competition is on the rise it's making some of these people aggressive.  The WAWA by my old apartment had this "in your face" annoying black homeless lady that would approach with such vigor that one could only conclude an attack is imminent.  The only way to deal with the aggressive ones is to show your teeth a little... get mad... fucking yell at them whatever.  I find a quick step back while bringing your fists halfway up speaks a thousand words.

Quote from: stevesh on September 12, 2012, 02:22:09 PM
... Also, with apologies to sardondi, I'm sure that the police and prosecutors would much rather convict the wrong man for a crime than no one. It seems sometimes that they don't care if the suspect is likely to be guilty, as long as they think they can secure a plea.

No doubt about it.  These prosecutors are more interested in their 'records' than in truth-finding.  Over and over, they will supress evidence that favors the suspect, or like you said, bully them into a plea for something they didn't do.  Other times they let the most vile criminals walk because they are reluctant to risk losing a case.

Anyone on a jury that takes a cop's word or the prosecuting attorney's word for anything is doing all of us a disservice.

McPhallus

Quote from: ziznak on September 12, 2012, 02:39:47 PM
Not only in SF Falkie those types can be found here in Philly I assure you.  The numbers are climbing though and I guess as competition is on the rise it's making some of these people aggressive.  The WAWA by my old apartment had this "in your face" annoying black homeless lady that would approach with such vigor that one could only conclude an attack is imminent.  The only way to deal with the aggressive ones is to show your teeth a little... get mad... fucking yell at them whatever.  I find a quick step back while bringing your fists halfway up speaks a thousand words.

There's a term for that scenario: covert mugging.

Sardondi

Quote from: stevesh on September 12, 2012, 02:22:09 PM
Here in Michigan, a homeless mentally ill guy in Saginaw sporting a knife was shot 46 times by 6 police officers. I'm convinced the police want to shoot all of us if they can get away with it.

Also, with apologies to sardondi, I'm sure that the police and prosecutors would much rather convict the wrong man for a crime than no one. It seems sometimes that they don't care if the suspect is likely to be guilty, as long as they think they can secure a plea.

Quote from: Paper*Boy on September 12, 2012, 05:18:18 PM

No doubt about it.  These prosecutors are more interested in their 'records' than in truth-finding.  Over and over, they will supress evidence that favors the suspect, or like you said, bully them into a plea for something they didn't do.  Other times they let the most vile criminals walk because they are reluctant to risk losing a case.

Anyone on a jury that takes a cop's word or the prosecuting attorney's word for anything is doing all of us a disservice.

Guys, you're watching too much tv and too many defense-lawyer funded "documentaries". But statements like "I'm convinced the police want to shoot all of us if they can get away with it", and " These prosecutors are more interested in their 'records' than in truth-finding" - don't you think they might be  a little broad? Just a tad? 

I don't know where you're from, but if your statements have the least bit of truth to them about your homes, you have my utmost sympathy, because you're each living in some secret spots which, unknown to the rest of the world, are police states run by tyrants. Otherwise, knowing no more than I do other than my experience, I'd have to say that such vehemence sounds more like the bit dog barking, as in someone's own bad experience has colored that person's views.

Seriously, of course there are unjust prosecutors and corrupt cops: last I checked these jobs were limited to humans. And I must say, at least with the corrupt cops (which is the only category in which there are enough incidents to be statistically meaningful), they seem to be a much greater problem in the population-heavy urban centers - virtually all of which have been politically controlled by Democrats for decades if not generations. Hey guys, it usually works out that you get the kind of justice system you deserve. Meaning that in states with high rates of crime and in which attitudes toward fraud and cheating are "relaxed", such as New Jersey, there is corruption at all levels of government just as there is in all levels of society. Corruption exists at the level that the people accept it.

Put another way, corrupt police and prosecutors have nothing to do with the vocations themselves, and everything to do with the pool of people from whom they are chosen. You've got corrupt cops in your area? You've got corrupt people. Garbage in, garbage out.   

Eddie Coyle

Right pinky finger.

Slightly overgrown nail

Cabinet door closes a little quicker than expected.
          Son of a bitch.
          Using Band-Aid with butterflies made for three year olds.

coaster

my neighbors... all of them. Im sure they are great people, but they are all fucking loud. who the fuck moves furniture at 3 am in the morning? I cannot wait to move back to Missouri. Which is another thing that annoys me. Why its taking so long. I have a house there waiting. Fucking paperwork annoys me.  Ive turned into the oldest coot ever at 31. Why the hell does everything annoy me.. im inebriated at home and feel the need to post here, and others here will use that against me im sure. but fuck, i could write a book on what annoys me..
i do enjoy this thread. i take solace in knowing im not the only one.

ChewMouse

Quote from: coaster on September 15, 2012, 12:40:48 AM
Why the hell does everything annoy me.. im inebriated at home and feel the need to post here, and others here will use that against me im sure.
Anybody bugs you about drunken posting, you tell 'em to come and talk to The Mouse. The Chew Mouse.