• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Midnight In The Desert

Started by Falkie2013, December 12, 2015, 01:13:40 AM

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: monica on May 31, 2018, 01:15:24 AM
I get it now.  I am surprised Orthodox and Roman Catholic don't believe in the grave then?  I was raised Roman Catholic, and was taught that the dead are in the grave until the time comes for pugatory?

I would defer to Father Jack. He might have a better understanding of that.

DarKPenguiN

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on May 31, 2018, 01:15:02 AM
The question would be, I suppose, is that do they even know they are interacting? There's always been that school of thought that they don't, that they are just replays of historical events, ergo Roman Soldiers marching through a basement in London. Or, could they be interactive? In which case they still exist in this universe and are not in any sort of heaven, but locked here. That isn't very compatible with most religions.
My problem with that school of thought is that why dont we see ghost Dinosaurs and shit if its merely replaying events- Unless its something that would only affect humans. It would seem that we would see other species as much if not more as we would see human ghosts.

In truth I buy more into the theory that IF there is anything to this, its demonic- However I'm not certain theres really anything to it at all.

sydtron

Concerning God and how he operates:
If he did create the Universe, then don't you think that kind of power would let him be able to interact with any point at anytime?  If not, then its not God. Also, what about spooky action at a distance?  Does that also pertain to time?

Kolchak

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 31, 2018, 12:57:44 AM
He can interact with any point in time all the time. What’s the problem?

I believe what SciFi is getting at is that the second the deity interacts with the physical world, it should pull its hand out of that world dripping with physics. Anything it did would be measurable in some way. (If I'm wrong, Scifi, please correct me).

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 31, 2018, 01:12:58 AM
They don’t have to emit photons. They just need to reflect them. We don’t emit photons but people can see us.
What if they ordinarily neither emit, reflect, nor absorb photons, unless they want to, assuming they can make the choice and have the power to do it. They could go around, still in our universe but invisible to us and any detection instrument we can make.  And they are generally camera shy and prefer to appear only to people who are not reliable witnesses.

Chad Jacobs

Quote from: DarKPenguiN on May 31, 2018, 01:07:35 AM
From the little bit I'm catching off the past couple pages it sounds like a potentially interesting conversation.

I'm with you on your thoughts regarding the paranormal- I personally want to believe and I have had maybe 2-3 interesting experiences in my life that I cannot explain and would be easy to write off as being of a paranormal nature- However, I'm no so dense as to label the unexplained as being paranormal.

I've also studied all the fringe topics since the mid 80s and over time all thats been exposed are frauds, charlatans and doubt regardless of what I would like to believe...However, I disagree on your thoughts on God having to be outside of time and unable to interact with the creation.

If you liken it to a computer program (which I do) it would all appear to run in a linear fashion and in  sync with some sort of logical time or progression- So for instance, if we had sentient AI inside a gameworld it would be bound to whatever physics the programmer has put into place- For  The AI in the gameworld would find walls to be solid and impassable based on the logic programmed into the game. The solidity would be real to those bound by it but an illusion to one outside of it - He with the cheat codes.

The sentient AI would be bound to whatever laws govern the gameworld by the programmer- They would be governed by speed, distance, gravitational force and all manner of limitations that in truth would only be real to those constrained inside of the game- The programmer could jump around to any point he wanted, travel back and forth in "time" (as perceived by the sentient AI inside the gameworld)and would be operating above and beyond any rules or limitations that were placed in the program for those who exist in the program.
I believe in a "God" that runs a sort of spiritual "Everett multiverse" matrix. That is every quantum possibility that can occur from the start of time until the end (whatever that may be) will occur in distinct universes (each of which would have multiple dimensions).  In this way every "choice" which could be made (every outcome even by fundamental particles) would occur in one (or many) of these distinct universes. Perhaps we have "over souls" that ultimately integrate the experience of many (or all) of these outcomes that exist beyond what we think of as time.  Just because the universe is a "simulation" it need not be a "nuts and bolts" one it could be something far more complex. Perhaps this echoes the thesis that Linda Moulton H. has presented that the universe is a sort of "entropy reduction machine" in the sense that the "lessons' that the "over souls" learn causes them to "act" in a less disordered manner than would otherwise be the case.

Sean92008

Quote from: monica on May 31, 2018, 01:01:21 AM
Have you made any recordings for us?
I'm on the other side of the mic nowadays, if I'm around one at all 🙄 I'm a moderately-talented social butterfly whose who's had too many lucky breaks.

Thanks for asking. 

GravitySucks

Quote from: monica on May 31, 2018, 01:15:24 AM
I get it now.  I am surprised Orthodox and Roman Catholic don't believe in the grave then?  I was raised Roman Catholic, and was taught that the dead are in the grave until the time comes for pugatory?

Purgatory is not biblical and I believe the Vatican has stopped teaching that.

I am a recovering catholic. I choose not to be catholic one day at a good time. The way I remember the catechism was that your soul would go immediately to heaven, hell or purgatory. And once you had enough prayer/candle points you got to go to heaven.

What I believe now is kind of up in the air.  Pun intended. There are conflicting passages in the bible. I am not sure hell has been created yet. If it has, then revelations is in error.

I think once we die the time dimension becomes irrelevant.

K_Dubb

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on May 31, 2018, 01:15:02 AM
The question would be, I suppose, is that do they even know they are interacting? There's always been that school of thought that they don't, that they are just replays of historical events, ergo Roman Soldiers marching through a basement in London. Or, could they be interactive? In which case they still exist in this universe and are not in any sort of heaven, but locked here. That isn't very compatible with most religions. In other words, if you see a ghost, then religion has it very wrong.

Well religion is just man struggling to grasp the glimpses of outside-time he thinks he may have seen.  I wouldn't be too surprised to find his reasonings wholly inadequate.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: DarKPenguiN on May 31, 2018, 01:18:05 AM
My problem with that school of thought is that why dont we see ghost Dinosaurs and shit if its merely replaying events- Unless its something that would only affect humans. It would seem that we would see other species as much if not more as we would see human ghosts.

In truth I buy more into the theory that IF there is anything to this, its demonic- However I'm not certain theres really anything to it at all.

I have the same problem. Or why not ghost prokaryotes in microscopes from earth's first 1.8 billion years?

Lilith

When Heather ends for the night, don't forget, if you're still awake, You might want to catch a few short current episodes of Midnight in the Desert with The Guy from Pittsburg uploaded tonight.

Here is one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoI8-u80on0

DarKPenguiN

Quote from: Chad Jacobs on May 31, 2018, 01:21:25 AM
I believe in a "God" that runs a sort of spiritual "Everett multiverse" matrix. That is every quantum possibility that can occur from the start of time until the end (whatever that may be) will occur in distinct universes (each of which would have multiple dimensions).  In this way every "choice" which could be made (every outcome even by fundamental particles) would occur in one (or many) of these distinct universes. Perhaps we have "over souls" that ultimately integrate the experience of many (or all) of these outcomes that exist beyond what we think of as time.  Just because the universe is a "simulation" it need not be a "nuts and bolts" one it could be something far more complex. Perhaps this echoes the thesis that Linda Moulton H. has presented that the universe is a sort of "entropy reduction machine" in the sense that the "lessons' that the "over souls" learn causes them to "act" in a less disordered manner than would otherwise be the case.
Yeah that becoming a pretty prevalent school of thought these days- I will admit that I like the the idea that somewhere I am King of the entire world and have an infinite number of concubines at my beck and call . =)

The reality is we dont know and we probably never will- All any of us can really do is theorize and amke some type of informed decision based on the tiny bit of knowledge we have and the collective experience of our species that has been handed to us... Much of which could be tainted, incorrect or built upon false premises.

I'll be the first to say that I have no idea and even when speculating and having a bullshit session I do not hold any of my beliefs as some sort of gospel or even as being 'probably' correct. I think the truth is something that we can never even comprehend and is so complex that our minds are incapable of even proposing it as a theory lol.

GravitySucks

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on May 31, 2018, 01:27:45 AM
I have the same problem. Or why not ghost prokaryotes in microscopes from earth's first 1.8 billion years?

Microscopes weren’t even invented then.

PrairieGhost

Quote from: brig on May 31, 2018, 01:27:58 AM
When Heather ends for the night, don't forget, if you're still awake, You might want to catch a few short current episodes of Midnight in the Desert with The Guy from Pittsburg uploaded tonight.

I'm trying to listen to this last hour but it's boring me.

SciFiAuthor

They don’t have to emit photons. They just need to reflect them. We don’t emit photons but people can see us.

Isn't that worse from a physics perspective though? Bouncing a photon holds a whole lot of implications.

yoursongs

Quote from: Sean92008 on May 31, 2018, 01:23:50 AM
I'm on the other side of the mic nowadays, if I'm around one at all 🙄 I'm a moderately-talented social butterfly whose who's had too many lucky breaks.

Thanks for asking.

Didn't you meet Bernie Taupin once at Cicada's?

DarKPenguiN

...Yeah. I never even thought of that.

SciFiAuthor

Also, you're emitting photons in infra-red from your biochemistry. Once you die, that stops. Infra-red ghost hunting assumes you need to emit photons after death. You're far outside of known science to assume that, therefore, science isn't really a part of this.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 31, 2018, 01:24:27 AM
Purgatory is not biblical and I believe the Vatican has stopped teaching that.

I am a recovering catholic. I choose not to be catholic one day at a good time. The way I remember the catechism was that your soul would go immediately to heaven, hell or purgatory. And once you had enough prayer/candle points you got to go to heaven.

What I believe now is kind of up in the air.  Pun intended. There are conflicting passages in the bible. I am not sure hell has been created yet. If it has, then revelations is in error.

I think once we die the time dimension becomes irrelevant.

There were many good reasons for the Lutheran revolution. I mean, how many points did that guy nail to the door?! Now, I'm not saying the cat was long winded but the Dead Sea Scrolls called and asked if he'd like to be a contributer.  :D

Lilith

Quote from: PrairieGhost on May 31, 2018, 01:29:23 AM
I'm trying to listen to this last hour but it's boring me.

I'm afraid if I dont listen to the end, I might miss a misshap  ;D

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on May 31, 2018, 01:30:57 AM
Also, you're emitting photons in infra-red from your biochemistry.Once you die, that stops.
dont forget black body radiation. all ordineary matter emits it.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: brig on May 31, 2018, 01:31:42 AM
I'm afraid if I dont listen to the end, I might miss a misshap  ;D

Always save the mishap! Don't throw the mishap away! :D

Sean92008

Listened to the last 30-minutes in the shower.  Gotta say, the show was enjoyable and listening to those goofs was pretty darn OK.  Normally banter like that gets old or too inside jokey, not with these guys.

I heard the first "voice" thinking it was a wheezing during an inhale.  I heard the sound of what I thought was a glass being put down on a counter and pushed.

I liked the story of the 3 a.m. wake up "calls." I had a similar situation, inherited from neighbors...

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: Renegade Smurf on May 31, 2018, 01:32:41 AM
dont forget black body radiation. all ordineary matter emits it.

Well, it would absorb energy and then re-emit it via thermodynamics. But why so much infra-red without any matter to absorb it? Ghosts imply no matter is involved usually.

Rix Gins

Oh SF, I thought you said ghost karaoke.  Now there's an untapped industry that should be marketed.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Rix Gins on May 31, 2018, 01:36:45 AM
Oh SF, I thought you said ghost karaoke.  Now there's an untapped industry that should be marketed.

Singing to ghosts or trying to catch them singing to us? ???

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: Rix Gins on May 31, 2018, 01:36:45 AM

https://youtu.be/I1uCwOyXOJU

Rix Gins

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 31, 2018, 01:37:55 AM
Singing to ghosts or trying to catch them singing to us? ???

I picture a lonely mic stand in a dim room, waiting for the ghost to sing.

Sean92008

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 31, 2018, 01:32:53 AM
Always save the mishap! Don't throw the mishap away! :D

Laughed my ass off at that the first time I saw that skit.

I can't watch it ever again.  Too gross.

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on May 31, 2018, 01:35:58 AM
Well, it would absorb energy and then re-emit it via thermodynamics. But why so much infra-red without any matter to absorb it? Ghosts imply no matter is involved usually.
That's what i was trying to get at originally. Assuming ghosts are real, and if there is no matter involved, they wouldnt be observable through ordinary scientific methods.