• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Steve Warner's Dark City

Started by bateman, October 27, 2013, 03:54:49 PM

HorrorRetro

Quote from: bateman on February 17, 2014, 05:14:07 PM

Moving to 2 hour timeslot on Sun. nights, likely starting this weekend.  ;D

Yay! Can't wait. I listened to part one of the Jacobs show last night. Great job, as usual.

cweb

awesome. congrats! it'd be a great way to kick off the week.

popple

I'm gonna kick back, unwind and play your DW interview with Nick Sutton. I watched the 2004 BBC documentary Car Crash: The DeLorean Story back in December through YT. Talk about a beeyond bleef ride.

Yorkshire pud

Is that to make up for the missing one last week? Staff; You can't get them.

zeebo

Bateman I'm finally getting around to catch up on DW.  I'm late to the party but anyway I've really been enjoying it.  Good energy, good guests, good music, good questions.  What a concept!

Btw I one thing I really like is the pacing of the show.  An interviewer has to move things along quickly enough to keep it interesting, but also pause to flesh out certain details so things don't get skipped over and end up a disjointed Nooryesque mess. 

One simple example I appreciated was during the K. McCloskey show where you had him stop and explain a little bit more about the Marie/Mary Celeste incident, instead of just steamrolling over it like some other, lesser hosts might.  I knew of the story but actually was kinda fuzzy on it so good to get that data point clarified a bit.

Anyway your show is quickly becoming my C2C bail-out show and since I'm bailing out almost every night now I hope you keep cranking out the DW's.

I wish you would do sat and sun!

With church on weekdays. I think that would give DMRN a core.

I got a fever and the only prescription that can cure it is Darkweekend 2 nights a week.

Very nice. More guest time or are you going to do some community building and open lines?

Have you thought about going to meetup.com and talking to local paranormal/ufo/weird stuff groups? Introduce your show and maybe try to get some time for them to call in and add local NY character and stories to the show.

gbneely

Looking forward to that!

bateman

Quote from: zeebo on February 20, 2014, 12:10:53 AM
Bateman I'm finally getting around to catch up on DW.  I'm late to the party but anyway I've really been enjoying it.  Good energy, good guests, good music, good questions.  What a concept!

Btw I one thing I really like is the pacing of the show.  An interviewer has to move things along quickly enough to keep it interesting, but also pause to flesh out certain details so things don't get skipped over and end up a disjointed Nooryesque mess. 

One simple example I appreciated was during the K. McCloskey show where you had him stop and explain a little bit more about the Marie/Mary Celeste incident, instead of just steamrolling over it like some other, lesser hosts might.  I knew of the story but actually was kinda fuzzy on it so good to get that data point clarified a bit.

Anyway your show is quickly becoming my C2C bail-out show and since I'm bailing out almost every night now I hope you keep cranking out the DW's.

Thank yeewww! The pacing is really important to me. I have extremely specific ideas about how I structure each show.

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on February 20, 2014, 11:31:37 PM
Very nice. More guest time or are you going to do some community building and open lines?

Have you thought about going to meetup.com and talking to local paranormal/ufo/weird stuff groups? Introduce your show and maybe try to get some time for them to call in and add local NY character and stories to the show.

I've always been more attracted to the Dreamland format than Coast, but I'm sure I'll end up doing some open lines. I'm just more focused on cranking out good interviews at the moment.

I do like the idea of getting some local flavor in here though, I have a few guest ideas & topics in mind..

Quote from: nooryisawesome on February 20, 2014, 12:52:52 AM
I wish you would do sat and sun!

With church on weekdays. I think that would give DMRN a core.

You may get your wish.  ;)

qaddisin

Quote from: bateman on February 21, 2014, 04:36:23 PM
You may get your wish.  ;)

That would be awesome! You're doing a great job with the show, Bateman. And I personally prefer the host-guest dynamic you've got going right now. While sometimes callers have interesting questions, a lot of times it seems to detract from interview. Of course, you also seem intelligent enough to come up with questions on your own. ;)

Just wanted to let you know I appreciate the work you're putting in, and thank you for the great show you're giving us.

jazmunda

Awesome. That makes it a Monday for me so no excuses like my daughter's birthday party or spending time with the family. Now I have an excuse not to work. Can you extend the show to 8 hours? Thanks in advance.

BobGrau

My only criticism is the same one I have for most radio/podcasts - the music is wayyy louder than the talk, leading to awkward moments at 4am  :o

Not a big deal, but for once I've got the chance to moan directly at the person responsible, so: HOW DARE you Mister Bellateman etc etc

Yorkshire pud

I know you're getting a few requests to have callers Steve, but I have a lot of misgivings on going that route. Instead, why not (in real time of course) have people e mail you* and present maybe five questions to your guest. That way you don't have some incoherent mumbler who spends two minutes working out which planet he's on before getting to the point. 

* Of course the problem is finding the top five then reading out (and forming a  precis) at the same time as avoiding dead air, AND keeping on track..

Going to two hours I think is a great move, doing what you're doing now. It's tight, concise, interesting and you have the listening/speaking balance bang on. Letting the guest take the stage, as it should be. It isn't broken, don't fix it!  :)

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on February 22, 2014, 04:37:37 AM
I know you're getting a few requests to have callers Steve, but I have a lot of misgivings on going that route. Instead, why not (in real time of course) have people e mail you* and present maybe five questions to your guest. That way you don't have some incoherent mumbler who spends two minutes working out which planet he's on before getting to the point. 

* Of course the problem is finding the top five then reading out (and forming a  precis) at the same time as avoiding dead air, AND keeping on track..

Going to two hours I think is a great move, doing what you're doing now. It's tight, concise, interesting and you have the listening/speaking balance bang on. Letting the guest take the stage, as it should be. It isn't broken, don't fix it!  :)

I like the email idea. Also I stand by the bit of advice given in the last sentence here.

HorrorRetro

I like that idea a lot. Callers are always the least interesting and frequently annoying parts of most shows. I've always preferred the Dreamland format versus the C2C format. A few emailed audience questions is a good compromise.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: HorrorRetro on February 22, 2014, 11:40:29 AM
I like that idea a lot. Callers are always the least interesting and frequently annoying parts of most shows. I've always preferred the Dreamland format versus the C2C format. A few emailed audience questions is a good compromise.

One way of doing it might be Steve securing a reliable 'buddy' who accesses the e mails. Filters the good ones (so the listeners will be informed at show start that they should get their questions in within the first 30 minutes or so) and bullet points the questions..1-8..concise.

This list is e mailed to Steve and he reads them out, each question is then addressed by the guest at length (some might be a simple yes/no answer), before moving on..clearly too many yes/no questions means the initial eight may be used, but lengthy answer might make them as few as four. It can be flexible like that as the show progresses.

2c supplied.

zeebo

I know you're getting a few requests to have callers Steve, but I have a lot of misgivings on going that route. Instead, why not (in real time of course) have people e mail you* and present maybe five questions to your guest. That way you don't have some incoherent mumbler who spends two minutes working out which planet he's on before getting to the point...

I concur on this idea.  Just get the questions minus all the off-topic rambling.  And maybe you can have a little program that immediately dumps any emails longer than say 25 words, so you can just ignore any walls of text.

bateman

Hey guys, I'm interviewing James Fox tonight, feel free to post your questions here or PM me.

Yorkshire Pud's right. Email is definitely the way to go. No chance of Bill the amateur astronomer from Hartford types calling in and, call me paranoid, but no chance of Prem Rat/Noory flunkies calling to throw a wrench in the works. I wouldn't put it past them.

Can't wait for the James Fox interview. I thought Out of the Blue was excellent.

bateman

Bump for visibility. Still taking questions.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: bateman on February 23, 2014, 03:13:14 PM
Bump for visibility. Still taking questions.

Okay...

What are the variations in how sightings reported by military pilots throughout the world are received and dealt with? Which is the least/most dismissive airforce/navy?

Uncle Duke

Have modern technology (cell phone cameras, photoshop etc) and social media (You Tube, Instagram, etc) hurt or helped ufology credibility? 

What are the top 5 most damaging events/hoaxes/perceptions etc that have hurt ufology

Morgus

Quote from: bateman on February 23, 2014, 01:10:51 PM
Hey guys, I'm interviewing James Fox tonight, feel free to post your questions here or PM me.
Be sure to ask James Fox about what he was thinking when he did that failed National Geographic Channel UFO reality series where they were always out in the dark with green night vision goggles?
James was best appearing on TV with Larry King to debate the skeptical debunkers on the panel.  :D

Uncle Duke

Quote from: The Neverender on February 23, 2014, 06:37:32 PM
What are the top 5 most damaging events/hoaxes/perceptions etc that have hurt ufology

Great question.  I have long thought a program on UFO hoaxes would make for good radio, like maybe a three hour show with Knapp and a credible guest(s).  Sadly, I don't think we'll ever hear such an offering on C2C or any of the DMRN family of shows.  The problem is, aside from the "Alien Autopsy" film of the mid 90s, how many noted UFO related stories/sightings do an overwhelming number of ufologist agree are hoaxes?  Billy Meier?  Philip Corso? Roswell?  Nope, all have high profile supporters and detractors.  So do many, if not the vast majority, of famous UFO cases.

Fantastic interview, Bateman! Really interesting. James Fox came with a lot of solid information, and your questions were right on the mark. I like this email approach a lot.

HorrorRetro

As always, it was a great show!

jazmunda

Quote from: HorrorRetro on February 23, 2014, 10:00:51 PM
As always, it was a great show!

+1

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on February 23, 2014, 09:59:50 PM
Fantastic interview, Bateman! Really interesting. James Fox came with a lot of solid information, and your questions were right on the mark. I like this email approach a lot.

+1