Started by Falkie2013, December 12, 2015, 01:13:40 AM

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Metron2267 on May 29, 2018, 03:46:11 PM
School.

Dance.

Intellect.

Looks.

Friends.

He wasn't a gusher, but if you listened you heard enough to know.

Not

Good

Enough

Try

Again

Robert

Quote from: Metron2267 on May 29, 2018, 03:41:50 PMWhat they did initially in the 60s pop was far and away above the fare of say the Dave Clark 5 or Gerry and the Pacemakers.
They all were the equal of many, most of whom never recorded.
QuoteThey followed it with some truly diverse music, albeit the Indian sitar stuff got old fast.
Exactly.  Once they had all that backing, they started composing some very interesting stuff.  But then after a couple yrs. of that, they went back to same old, same old.

I just suspect there were a lot of garage bands out there who, given the patronage & ambition, could've done the same.
QuoteBy any measure, and sales volume is a good as other, they won enough acclaim to have earned their adoration.
Eh, most of that is consumers' attraction to familiarity.  Which is why payola.

Metron2267

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 29, 2018, 03:51:00 PM
Not

Good

Enough

Try

Again

Nope.

That's quite sufficient and accurate to boot.

Nobody

Quote from: Father Jack on May 29, 2018, 03:48:26 PM
Yes but I can only quote the most recent post.

Right.  So the problem is that you are trying to quote from multiple different posts?  Or from different passages within the same post?

aldousburbank

Not

Good

Enough

Try

Again

A haiku challenge
Not good enough try again
So that's what she said

Nobody

Quote from: aldousburbank on May 29, 2018, 03:44:46 PM
Ego, drama, show biz, parabnormal web dweebs, facebook pussies, assdorks, greaseballs, wannabeez and legends all whipped up into one crazy ass egghead omelette.

You left out mind-numbing stupidity.  :(

weeberwubber

Quote from: teknoslag on May 29, 2018, 12:07:03 AM
It's also known as the Rule of Three. Not all witches follow it. It didn't even really exist until Raymond Buckland and Monique Wilson presented it in their writings on Wicca during the middle of the 20th century. Before that, most practitioners of witchcraft and/or the occult followed the general rule of karma, if they followed any law of repercussion at all. And even then there was no real codified system.

A lot of witches, pagans, and occultists today view it as just another control measure put in place to keep people in line, much like you find in organized religion with the teachings of Hell and damnation, or in Eastern mysticism with the rule of Karma.

I figured it was a way to sell more white candles and what-not to cast protection spells so the shit didn't come back at you. Or as Paglini would say "To bind down the action not wanted, Art!"

Father Jack

Nobody,

Just trying to insert something earlier than the most recent post. Damn, I feel like a rube.

BettyO417

Quote from: Father Jack on May 29, 2018, 03:48:26 PM
Nobody,

Yes but I can only quote the most recent post. I need the Bellgab for Dummies book.

If I may stick my 2 cents in for starters.  Go to the word "Quote" on the right hand side of the message you want to respond to.  The post reply "window" should open along with the quote you want to reply to.

Next, type your thoughts beneath the bottom/last word "quote" with the brackets.
Quote.  I hit return/space down a couple of times to give myself separated space between my message and the quoted text.

If you want to attach a picture, below this posting window you'll see the +Attachment and other options.  Click on that, it opens, then click on the Attach: bar. Click on Browse and it will open up your Explore or Files window for you to be able to select a Picture or File.  After you've clicked on the desired picture/file it will show up in the bar below where it says "Attach:. Next click on (Insert Attachment 1)
then go below a bit and click on "Post"

If I can help let me know!  If I've confused you more, I apologize!! ;D

Father Jack

Quote from: BettyO417 on May 29, 2018, 04:04:23 PM
If I may stick my 2 cents in for starters.  Go to the word "Quote" on the right hand side of the message you want to respond to.  The post reply "window" should open along with the quote you want to reply to.

Next, type your thoughts beneath the bottom/last word "quote" with the brackets.
Quote.  I hit return/space down a couple of times to give myself separated space between my message and the quoted text.

If you want to attach a picture, below this posting window you'll see the +Attachment and other options.  Click on that, it opens, then click on the Attach: bar. Click on Browse and it will open up your Explore or Files window for you to be able to select a Picture or File.  After you've clicked on the desired picture/file it will show up in the bar below where it says "Attach:. Next click on (Insert Attachment 1)
then go below a bit and click on "Post"

If I can help let me know!  If I've confused you more, I apologize!! ;D

Thank you, any input is appreciated. It's even ok to call me a schmuck.

Metron2267

Quote from: Robert on May 29, 2018, 03:52:30 PM
They all were the equal of many, most of whom never recorded.Exactly.  Once they had all that backing, they started composing some very interesting stuff.  But then after a couple yrs. of that, they went back to same old, same old.

I just suspect there were a lot of garage bands out there who, given the patronage & ambition, could've done the same.Eh, most of that is consumers' attraction to familiarity.  Which is why payola.

I disagree, payola in the US largely ended with Allan Freed.  I never heard of it being a major factor in the Beatles success, though perhaps the UK had their own version.

As for the "same old" they covered so much ground musically that some regression to mean was to be expected, but their run ended so abruptly that it wasn't excessive or lethargy inducing.

By comparison the Stones, who got off to a similarly poppy start, became damned predictable once they found their particular groove.

When they went afield it wasn't always good, cringe-inducing titles like "Emotional Rescue" and "Start Me Up" still make my ears bleed.

By contrast their wonderful country honk tunes like "Girl With The Faraway Eyes" or
"Dead Flowers" are satiric and musical classics at once.

Frankly if any Brit pop band got old it was The Who - never got the big hoopla around them or Daltry.

Robert

Quote from: Metron2267 on May 29, 2018, 03:38:13 PMI've heard some lousy talkers, Vara for one.

As for the average...hard to say...maybe she gets a basic C for last night.
A critical factor of grading on a curve is, who gets admitted to your class?

Most of us never hear the truly awful stuff.  If depends how much you listen.

I'm more selective these days, but over my lifetime I've listened to a lot of talkers.  Ms. Wade doesn't come close to many I've heard in terms of badness.  I never thought she was bad.  Of course we're familiar w the special case of Mr. Noory, who I think has ability but doesn't give a shit about the show he does.  But there are many who've been on mic yet are intrinsically bad.  I recall one like that w a big ego who bought time on WVNJ to emcee a phone-in talk show, & whom I phoned in to to advise him to save his $.  I've heard others practicing their art on college stations, & who had a looonnng way to go.

Ms. Wade taking over for Mr. Bell as his former producer to me sounded relatively better than did Jason Jarvis taking over for his mother Judy, whom he had produced for.  And yet the Jason Jarvis Show wound up lasting years longer (albeit with a decline in # of affiliates) than did the Judy Jarvis Show.

It's just that there's no comparison between Ms. Wade & Mr. Schrader doing MITD.  Judging by his guest hosting on C2C, I hadn't expected the difference to be as stark as it's turned out to be on MITD.  Something about C2C seemed to have held him back, while MITD has allowed him to blossom.  I don't know why that should've been, considering how much I like Mssrs. Punnett & Knapp on C2C.  Either that or I should credit MITD's producer more.

Metron2267

Quote from: Robert on May 29, 2018, 03:41:29 PM
And then fans get attached to whoever happened to be the drummer when they 1st noticed the band.  Viz. Cheap Trick.

Bun E. Carlos - best rock stage name ever!

El Chorro

Dave...

Meldrum has been associated with notorious hoaxer Todd Standing, who has claimed these images are real. (The first one shows a comparison of a blinking "Bigfoot" with Standing's own face.)

He recently appeared in a film directed by Standing called "Discovering Bigfoot." It might not seem too unfriendly to ask Meldrum ifâ€"as a PhD and state college professorâ€"he ever feels used by the Bigfoot community to add credibility simply by being featured as "noncommittal" in films, articles, and TV shows.

Dyna-X

I'm beginning to think radio world stardom, even minor planetdom has a deleterious effect on nearly all who get near it. Take any intelligent and basically good-hearted person with a good voice and a few personality flaws like anyone might have and put them behind the mic with an audience and what comes out the other end is McDonald's pink goo, narcissism and banality.

As much as we joke about Vara, on any other day he would probably fit right in at Bellgab or more than likely at the bar (Since his writing is terrible). Maybe he would be like an Akwilly.  If Heather was still (Redacted) she would still be someone most everyone would enjoy reading.

Dave probably has changed the least by radio. He would likely be the kind you would meet in a coffee shop with Winnie and spend the afternoon talking about the mysteries of life, while their kids got into mostly harmless trouble and devoured pie. In radio-land he instinctively cuts out the chit chat aspect and probably speaks faster than in the coffee shop.

BobGrau

Quote from: aldousburbank on May 29, 2018, 03:44:46 PM
It's like novella level alien autopsy webradio forensic pallooza. And where she stops nobody knows. Ego, drama, show biz, parabnormal web dweebs, facebook pussies, assdorks, greaseballs, wannabeez and legends all whipped up into one crazy ass egghead omelette. Good times!

Who's move is it anyway?

Whose*

I've copied this, to show to people IRL when I try to describe all this.

Robert

Quote from: Father Jack on May 29, 2018, 03:48:26 PMNobody,

Yes but I can only quote the most recent post. I need the Bellgab for Dummies book.
Yes, this is one of those Web boards set to quote automatically only 1 level deep.  If you want to nest them deeper, you need to do it manually.  The icon of text in a balloon can be used to put quotation tags around text.  You may either highlight the text with your cursor and then click that icon, or click the icon to put down the tags like bookends that you can then wedge what you want into; or you can manually inset the tags that have brackets around the words for the commands.

Metron2267

Quote from: Robert on May 29, 2018, 04:12:20 PM
A critical factor of grading on a curve is, who gets admitted to your class?

Most of us never hear the truly awful stuff.  If depends how much you listen.

I'm more selective these days, but over my lifetime I've listened to a lot of talkers.  Ms. Wade doesn't come close to many I've heard in terms of badness.  I never thought she was bad.  Of course we're familiar w the special case of Mr. Noory, who I think has ability but doesn't give a shit about the show he does.  But there are many who've been on mic yet are intrinsically bad.  I recall one like that w a big ego who bought time on WVNJ to emcee a phone-in talk show, & whom I phoned in to to advise him to save his $.  I've heard others practicing their art on college stations, & who had a looonnng way to go.

Ms. Wade taking over for Mr. Bell as his former producer to me sounded relatively better than did Jason Jarvis taking over for his mother Judy, whom he had produced for.  And yet the Jason Jarvis Show wound up lasting years longer (albeit with a decline in # of affiliates) than did the Judy Jarvis Show.

It's just that there's no comparison between Ms. Wade & Mr. Schrader doing MITD.  Judging by his guest hosting on C2C, I hadn't expected the difference to be as stark as it's turned out to be on MITD.  Something about C2C seemed to have held him back, while MITD has allowed him to blossom.  I don't know why that should've been, considering how much I like Mssrs. Punnett & Knapp on C2C.  Either that or I should credit MITD's producer more.

Some names there for me to look up!

George was better early on, but frankly I liked Siegel a bit too.

Ian and Knapp are the best of the fill-in hosts, Church is high energy, but also high ad content in his relentless shilling on KGRA.

Richard Syrett I find eminently listenable regardless of subject matter.

If you're back in W-land you maybe recall Joe Pine?

Now there's a guy who could set people aflame, and later on Morton Downey.

Robert

Quote from: Metron2267 on May 29, 2018, 04:10:34 PMI disagree, payola in the US largely ended with Allan Freed.  I never heard of it being a major factor in the Beatles success
I never meant that it did.  I mean payola works because repeated exposure makes people interested in a musical piece.  So a lot of sales volume is based on its own momentum.

Tootsie

i like Lisa Garr.. Best voice on air..absolutely beautiful perfection and smart woman.. why not pick her?

Metron2267

Quote from: Dyna-X on May 29, 2018, 04:13:40 PM
I'm beginning to think radio world stardom, even minor planetdom has a deleterious effect on nearly all who get near it. Take any intelligent and basically good-hearted person with a good voice and a few personality flaws like anyone might have and put them behind the mic with an audience and what comes out the other end is McDonald's pink goo, narcissism and banality.

As much as we joke about Vara, on any other day he would probably fit right in at Bellgab or more than likely at the bar (Since his writing is terrible). Maybe he would be like an Akwilly.  If Heather was still (Redacted) she would still be someone most everyone would enjoy reading.

Dave probably has changed the least by radio. He would likely be the kind you would meet in a coffee shop with Winnie and spend the afternoon talking about the mysteries of life, while their kids got into mostly harmless trouble and devoured pie. In radio-land he instinctively cuts out the chit chat aspect and probably speaks faster than in the coffee shop.

That's a really insightful telling, I like the idea of Vara in a bar.

And, unless I miss my guess...so does Vara!

I wager we find Dave hanging out in the Barnes Noble coffee shop surrounded by a few paranormal books - that image resonates. Nice guy, knowledgable, well spoken, real.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Father Jack on May 29, 2018, 04:09:46 PM
Thank you, any input is appreciated. It's even ok to call me a schmuck.

Schmuck! Actually it took me a while to work this out too. But when you're quoting someone just make sure the bit in square brackets is above the quoted part, and the bit that says 'quote' is underneath.

Metron2267

Quote from: Tootsie Wootsy on May 29, 2018, 04:20:39 PM
i like Lisa Garr.. Best voice on air..absolutely beautiful perfection and smart woman.. why not pick her?

She is my FAVORITE now that Laura Lee isn't on the interwebs any more.

Ever hear her program?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukKQ69-MXwU

(I know crappy audio quality on this feed)

Father Jack

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 29, 2018, 04:22:34 PM
Schmuck! Actually it took me a while to work this out too. But when you're quoting someone just make sure the bit in square brackets is above the quoted part, and the bit that says 'quote' is underneath.

Thanks, I'll get this sorted out sooner or later, I'm nothing if not tenacious.

Metron2267

Quote from: Robert on May 29, 2018, 04:20:20 PM
I never meant that it did.  I mean payola works because repeated exposure makes people interested in a musical piece.  So a lot of sales volume is based on its own momentum.

I read you.

I'm sure bot the Stones and Beatles must have had some paid exposure in the UK when they started.

Robert

Quote from: Metron2267 on May 29, 2018, 04:13:16 PMBun E. Carlos - best rock stage name ever!
And he's very good.  But so is the drummer they usu. tour & record w these days (son of lead singer).  Yet some audience members think they're cheated if Carlos isn't there -- and that may be so by eye, but by ear I'd like to know if they could tell the difference!

BobGrau

Not

Good

Enough

Try

Again

Heather
Eats
Art
To
Have
Eventual
Radioshow

Won't
Accept
Defeat
Elegantly

Tootsie

Quote from: Metron2267 on May 29, 2018, 04:23:51 PM
She is my FAVORITE now that Laura Lee isn't on the interwebs any more.

Ever hear her program?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukKQ69-MXwU

(I know crappy audio quality on this feed)

No, Never heard of her.. They should do weekends with great woman hosts!!  Show how lousy Heather is by comparison!!

Nobody

Quote from: BettyO417 on May 29, 2018, 04:04:23 PM

Right.  In other words: when you hit "quote" and the text window opens, you should see the text from the post you are quoting inserted between a header that looks like this:

<quote author=BettyO417 link=topic=9159.msg1235492#msg1235492 date=1527631463>

(...only the brackets on the ends you see should be square "[]" rather than angled "<>" ones above.)

and a footer that looks like this:

</quote>

(...again, with square "[]" brackets rather than angle "<>" brackets on the ends)

The idea here is: the text you are looking to quote needs be between that header and that footer.  Therefore, you can quote whatever text you like by using "copy" and "paste" to copy and paste the header at the top and the footer at the bottom of the text you are quoting.

Does that make sense?  You might have to play with things a bit using the "preview" feature (i.e. the button to the right of the "post" button) to take a look at the text and make sure it appears the way you want it before you hit the "post" button.

Bart Ell

Quote from: Robert on May 29, 2018, 04:25:35 PM
And he's very good.  But so is the drummer they usu. tour & record w these days (son of lead singer). 

Nope.
He's a Nielsen baby not a Zander baby.
Wrong #Legacy