• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell Quits Dark Matter

Started by DesertFox, November 01, 2013, 08:13:24 AM

Falkie2013

From the Art Bell thread :

Quote from: SultanDrops on July 25, 2013, 02:44:36 AM
I don't care if he comes back for a month and then quits. A little Art is so much better than no Art.

YOU !!! It's all YOUR fault !

You bastard !!!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRnSnfiUI54

shell88

“Through pride we are ever deceiving ourselves. But deep down below the surface of the average conscience a still, small voice says to us, something is out of tune. ”
― C.G. Jung

I find it therapeutic to express my grief in the dwindling artform of Haiku:

Pahrump Art sees shadow
Two more years non compete clause
Bill Murray slits wrists

needy Australians
and redneck truckers anger
one call per month dick

Guests forsook Noory
line up for Daves butt starts here
pucker up Hoagland

flaky Bell quits again
satellite radio doorstop
six month subscription

cell phones cut out am
i on the air yet? turn off
your radio dolt

six weeks then a bonk
lardass hogue delights while Dave
Noory ejaculates

I don't want Oprah
or Stern or Opie or Raw dog
Art Goatse's his fans

Bellgab up in arms
torches and pitchforks abound
Phillipines looks good

same old Nibiru
guests need new material
2012 bullshit

Jocko Johnson

Quote from: jazmunda on November 10, 2013, 01:57:49 AM
it's my understanding that that has already happened. As it stands Art is no longer employed by Sirius and Dark Matter is no more. For now.

Art put a proposal to them to work as an independent broadcaster where Sirius would have exclusive rights to broadcast his show whilst allowing Art to broadcast just the live show on the web for free on artbell.com.

This deal is separate from the now defunct contract to broadcast Dark Matter.

Sirius has so far not responded to Art and they might not as they no longer have a contractual relationship. Art's proposal is a new deal and Sirius might not respond considering how the last deal went down.

Not sure if that is an accurate assessment of the current situation but that is my take on it anyway.

You're right.  They are done with him. Spent $ now they need to cut their loses. Why would they let him back even if he is an independent contractor or whatever.  They may not want to be associated with him any longer.  All the publicity.  They only want to make money and look good so they can make more money...and nothing wrong with that. 

Take him back and something happens he moves or who knows what. ..I think they learned their lesson not gonna want to go through it again.

Sad thing is Art just really pissed all over his legacy.  The end of any story is always gonna have this nonsense as the final chapter.

The train has way left the station.

richard cee

It's really sad
Kinda like the athlete who retired at the top of his game then years later still thinks he's got it and comes back and makes an ass of himself... And us in this case

Sardondi

Quote from: richard cee on November 10, 2013, 01:56:46 PM
It's really sad
Kinda like the athlete who retired at the top of his game then years later still thinks he's got it and comes back and makes an ass of himself... And us in this case
This.

Ravenna

Quote from: Zack on November 09, 2013, 08:58:17 AM
The terrestrial radio landscape across the country is awful right now.  Stations are struggling and ratings are at all-time lows, even in the major markets.  Why not just syndicate it out of KNYE?  Art should make KNYE the flagship of DM.  He has already ‘identified’ a streaming method so he has that problem solved right?

Yeah it would have to be built up from the ground again, but Art has done that in the past.

I think this is a great idea.  It's what I was hoping for when I heard the first rumors that Art was returning to radio:  that he'd have a local show on KNYE that would be live streamed internationally on KNYE's website, allowing millions to listen.  I don't see why that still couldn't be done.  The only obstacle I would see is that Art may well have to wait two years to do it if the non-compete clause with Sirius cannot be gotten around some way.  I'm still feeling dubious that Art will really want to start all over again at 70.

Bigfoot

Quote from: Whitley Victor on November 09, 2013, 11:34:53 PM

My hope for 2014 is that Knapp takes over C2C full time and Page, Plant, Jones and Jason Bonham embark on a 30 city U.S. stadium tour!

Isn't something in the works already?

Agree about Knapp, too. 

Derpspiracy

George Knapp taking over C2C full time would be the only silver lining in this whole mess.

dortmunder

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on November 10, 2013, 01:36:23 PM
Next time someone asks me if I wanna take a ride, he'd better have a solid AAA trip plan, and none of this next available exit stuff, either.

The ride is over, but the meter's still running.

Jocko Johnson

Quote from: tertiaryimam on November 10, 2013, 02:11:24 AM

Well, what I'm thinking about is the logistics of the proposed new deal. Like, suppose I'm the Sirius executive guy. Art fucked the last deal, I know, but he has a new proposal: no pay, run independent. But art is going to be exclusively on Sirius / XM in terms of archives and whatnot. So, Sirius subscribers still get that benefit. As far as I can tell, the only downside for Sirius is that they look soft. By not paying art, they'll save a little money, and the deal with advertisements is that any add which runs on his lifestream ipso facto gets way more exposure than if it was heard only by a subscriber. They can charge a bit more for ads and make a little bit more money. Even if art shits out after a week, what is Sirius out? They've got the ad money still. They're not paying art. Yes, they have to have a website guy put up the art schedule and they've got to pay a few tech people for some of other things, I'm sure, but at the end of the day what does Sirius really have to lose?

I understand that, on a personal level, if I went into business with someone and art pulled the same shit, I'd not want to work with ever again no matter what. However, if I knew I could still make money off of them, on a business level there's no real reason not to.

And I wonder if Sirius still has money sunk into Bell which they haven't recouped.

Maybe the problem is they aren't and won't or can't make enough money? After all they know the numbers how many subs listeners...maybe they feel they can't sell the show/Art. Just may not be worth it for them.  This silence may be telling...only SXM has the true numbers.  Hmmmm....

Falkie2013

Quote from: ItsOver on November 10, 2013, 01:47:00 PM
That's pretty good, Falkie.  If we get enough of these prayers, maybe we can form our own religion or at least a cult.  I fear Art, though, is not going to rise again, so it'll just have to be kind of a fun-loving, pointless cult.  We can sacrifice cell phones, truckers, and Jess.  That should keep us busy for awhile.

I can see it now. This temple rises magically in the desert outside of Pahrump.
A platinum arch rises above the door and on top is a giant winged scorpion.
On the roads below, thousands of worshippers drive their carts to pay tribute.

Oh wait, someone already invented Las Vegas.

Never mind.

Coz

Quote from: Jocko Johnson on November 10, 2013, 01:56:14 PM

You're right.  They are done with him. Spent $ now they need to cut their loses. Why would they let him back even if he is an independent contractor or whatever.  They may not want to be associated with him any longer.  All the publicity.  They only want to make money and look good so they can make more money...and nothing wrong with that. 

Take him back and something happens he moves or who knows what. ..I think they learned their lesson not gonna want to go through it again.

Sad thing is Art just really pissed all over his legacy.  The end of any story is always gonna have this nonsense as the final chapter.

The train has way left the station.

Better be careful... you might be blamed for making it "not worth it" for Art.

Coz

Quote from: alleyrulez on November 10, 2013, 12:56:34 PM
I find it hilarious that people are still blaming Sirius in all of this.

Agreed. Any stream provider would have similar issues. Too many variables for it to be as reliable as terrestrial radio.

Mastodonkey

Quote from: richard cee on November 10, 2013, 01:56:46 PM
It's really sad

I agree except I feel he still was at the top of his game. I enjoyed many interviews he had in his small dark matter run excluding a few of the usual hacks nobody gives a damn about anymore like Hoagland. It's like he came back just as good as ever then flipped everybody off left the field and retired again for no reason.

coaster

Sirius made up their mind it seems.

Falkie2013

Quote from: shell88 on November 10, 2013, 01:55:01 PM
“Through pride we are ever deceiving ourselves. But deep down below the surface of the average conscience a still, small voice says to us, something is out of tune. ”
― C.G. Jung

Usually its the sound of people moaning in pain when they hear and see $noory sing.

Mastodonkey

The thing I like about Art's programs are aside from just him is the format. I think that's why I can't really find anything else podcast or otherwise that I like anywhere near as much. Just sucks.

Ravenna

Quote from: Derpspiracy on November 10, 2013, 02:02:33 PM
George Knapp taking over C2C full time would be the only silver lining in this whole mess.

I read somewhere that George Knapp has no interest in helming c2c full-time.  Can't recall where I read it, though, so who knows if it's the truth or not.  However, he has a pretty good career as an investigative reporter in Vegas and also is at an age he's probably thinking about maybe retiring.  Although, of course, in this day and age, many people work part-time after they retire, which is why the Sunday night gig is perfect for him.  (Would like to see him do ALL Sundays, however).

Bigfoot

Quote from: ItsOver on November 10, 2013, 01:16:38 PM
Are we going back to the dogs again?  First luring unsuspecting alternative life-style "swingers" and now eating Art's homework?  ;)  Damn dogs.

It really does suck for those that have had their dogs eat their homework. 

Ravenna

Quote from: Mastodonkey on November 10, 2013, 02:25:10 PM
I agree except I feel he still was at the top of his game. I enjoyed many interviews he had in his small dark matter run excluding a few of the usual hacks nobody gives a damn about anymore like Hoagland. It's like he came back just as good as ever then flipped everybody off left the field and retired again for no reason.

That's how I felt, too, other than a few shows where the guest was quite boring and I felt was allowed to ramble on for too long without Art interjecting.  I felt he was a little bit rusty, and that that rust would wear off in a few months down the line.  Now, the opportunity for that to happen sounds like it will not occur.  Sad.

Bigfoot

Quote from: Chocolate coated jackboot on November 10, 2013, 01:55:37 PM
I find it therapeutic to express my grief in the dwindling artform of Haiku:

Pahrump Art sees shadow
Two more years non compete clause
Bill Murray slits wrists

needy Australians
and redneck truckers anger
one call per month dick

Guests forsook Noory
line up for Daves butt starts here
pucker up Hoagland

flaky Bell quits again
satellite radio doorstop
six month subscription

cell phones cut out am
i on the air yet? turn off
your radio dolt

six weeks then a bonk
lardass hogue delights while Dave
Noory ejaculates

I don't want Oprah
or Stern or Opie or Raw dog
Art Goatse's his fans

Bellgab up in arms
torches and pitchforks abound
Phillipines looks good

same old Nibiru
guests need new material
2012 bullshit

brilliant

Heather Wade

Ok, BellGabbers, it's Sunday.  In the Corp world, it's a non-day.

Let's not cry until we get the word tomorrow.  Just saying.

Bigfoot

Sirius has nothing to gain by just hosting downloads of past programs, probably more to lose. 

No one will pay a subscription fee when
a) the program airs free online nightly
b) people will record those programs and put them on youtube and torrents, etc. 

So who would pay a monthly subscription for that?  It would probably cost Sirius more than what they pull in by any "new subscribers" considering just the bandwidth.

Derpspiracy

Quote from: Ravenna on November 10, 2013, 02:28:57 PM
I read somewhere that George Knapp has no interest in helming c2c full-time.  ...

I know. I've read that before, too. But I can dream. And, well, who knows? Knapp definitely has a passion for some odd topics; maybe when he "retires" from the news gig, he'll realize how much he likes chasing down UFOs and missing people after all.

Knapp is a class-act all around. Simply doing more C2C shows than he already does would make a lot of people very happy, myself included.

Bigfoot

Quote from: Derpspiracy on November 10, 2013, 02:41:19 PM
I know. I've read that before, too. But I can dream. And, well, who knows? Knapp definitely has a passion for some odd topics; maybe when he "retires" from the news gig, he'll realize how much he likes chasing down UFOs and missing people after all.

Knapp is a class-act all around. Simply doing more C2C shows than he already does would make a lot of people very happy, myself included.

I'd probably say that too if I had a pretty good full-time gig who may wonder how committed I am if I said otherwise.  Not to mention the possibility of Snoory getting alarmed. 

Jocko Johnson

Quote from: Sardondi on November 10, 2013, 11:27:35 AM
Then came the dawn.

I'm just now realizing that this is the way Art lives his life. He's had a ton of these morning-afters which result from his own uncontrolled impulsiveness.
Like Art said...those who know him know he makes decisions like a turn on a dime or some such crap. Hmmm...not to sure that I d be saying that like it's something to be proud about,  especially in important life changing issues. But that's just me.

Mastodonkey

Anybody with half a brain or who doesn't have money to just throw around was already listening for free anyway via youtube or torrents..  Maybe I underestimate the amount of people who legit want to pay for things or their lack of internet knowledge..  not considering those who listen live either though which is essential . so ionno