• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell Quits Dark Matter

Started by DesertFox, November 01, 2013, 08:13:24 AM

ItsOver

Quote from: Elinor on November 10, 2013, 12:00:00 PM
OK, folks, it may really BE the end of the world. 

ABBA may be getting back together:

http://www.france24.com/en/20131110-abba-mulls-possible-reunion-report

Now I'm starting to get worried . . . .

Christ.  What's next.  Elvis rising from the dead?

ItsOver

Quote from: Baron Landscape on November 10, 2013, 12:04:54 PM
George Norry sucks

I'm glad there's still something we can always count on.

Sardondi

Quote from: ItsOver on November 10, 2013, 11:39:25 AM
Darn right.  We're not talking about Jorch Noory here.  Hell, not even Noory would have done something like this.  Damn it.
That's what is so hard to take about all this: Art, through his own voluntary actions, is making George look good by comparison. And George, for once, is being brilliantly silent. Maybe someone darted him with elephant tranquilizer a week ago, but it's worked, because if he is completely silent he comes off as a pro, a gentleman and wise. Every one of which is a goddam lie when applied to George, which is what makes this whole thing so crazy.

Quote from: HaveAccess on November 10, 2013, 11:49:27 AM
Yeah Sardondi....

I half way agree with you...
Your posts are excellant...

But for Art to say so casually..so casually...say that he will honor a 2 year NC for only 6 weeks of programing...
After our waiting 10 years and our investment...it literally boggles the mind...

And you and I both know that common sense and legal contracts...well....
It largely depends on the quality of your legal counsel....
And whats inside some black box with small print...
Please undertsand that if I come off angry, it's at Art. For being so damn irresponsible. How could he?!

Nebraska888

Quote from: Sardondi on November 10, 2013, 12:18:21 PM
That's what is so hard to take about all this: Art, through his own voluntary actions, is making George look good by comparison. And George, for once, is being brilliantly silent. Maybe someone darted him with elephant tranquilizer a week ago, but it's worked, because if he is completely silent he comes off as a pro, a gentleman and wise. Every one of which is a goddam lie when applied to George, which is what makes this whole thing so crazy.
Please undertsand that if I come off angry, it's at Art. For being so damn irresponsible. How could he?!

I absolutely agree with everything you just stated, Sardondi.  For once, Noory looks good and Art looks like a indecisive brat.  8)

HorrorRetro

Quote from: ItsOver on November 10, 2013, 11:05:56 AM
With the Dark Matter debacle, I can't even listen to the old SIT shows anymore without feeling sad and pissed.  The latest circus has left a bitter taste in my mouth.  This kool-aid really sucks.  :P

That's how I feel.  Of course, I hope Art is able to come back asap, but I'm not holding my breath, nor am I willing to wait another two years.  It's time to find alternatives.

Nebraska888

Quote from: HorrorRetro on November 10, 2013, 12:27:16 PM
That's how I feel.  Of course, I hope Art is able to come back asap, but I'm not holding my breath, nor am I willing to wait another two years.  It's time to find alternatives.

I am so frustrated with Art.  Yep, HorroRetro, time to find dependable, intelligent, interesting alternatives.

Elinor

Christ.  What's next.  Elvis rising from the dead?

[attachimg=1]

ItsOver

Quote from: Sardondi on November 10, 2013, 12:18:21 PM
..Please undertsand that if I come off angry, it's at Art. For being so damn irresponsible. How could he?!

ribbit...ribbit...gurgle...gurgle...ride over, Kermit.

treeelf

Quote from: HorrorRetro on November 10, 2013, 12:27:16 PM

Red ice is a great alternative.  Although Hendrick doesn't exactly push as hard as art, he has a European stoicism and killer guests with out that sickeningly overt commercial feel that c2c has cultivated over the last decade..

IcicleTrepan

He's probably waiting to see what they say.  If they come back and say no, then he'll probably ask if they can let him out of the 2 year no compete.  If they say no, then he said he will honour that.

So let's not jump to conclusions yet, this is going to take some time I think.

dan7800

At least there are now like 30 new shows for the fineartstream

Sardondi

Quote from: ItsOver on November 10, 2013, 12:37:48 PM
ribbit...ribbit...gurgle...gurgle...ride over, Kermit.....
BWAAAAAHAAAAHAAAAAA!!!

Quote from: IcicleTrepan on November 10, 2013, 12:44:23 PMHe's probably waiting to see what they say.  If they come back and say no, then he'll probably ask if they can let him out of the 2 year no compete.  If they say no, then he said he will honour that.

So let's not jump to conclusions yet, this is going to take some time I think.
Absent some "bargained-for consideration" as the lawyers say, exactly what business motive does Sirius have in foregoing their contract rights to enforce their 2-year non-compete against Art? I see nothing for Sirius to gain by permitting Art an out. Indeed I see plenty of reason to enforce it, since in business as in nature, any unilateral generosity or unearned grant of mercy will be perceived as a sign of weakness and will invite aggression. Meaning, others are always watching. Several artists may be considering leaving Sirius but for the non-competes in their contracts. Other companies or lawyers may be wanting a clue as to how aggressive Sisrius is or how willing to fight its in-house legal group is. They could take any benevolence toward Art as a signal they could get away with the same thing or something else.

In World War I the French Army was pretty brutal about the number of troops it executed for desertion and "cowardice". The French recognized that they were not just punishing the individual soldier for his specific crime, but were also sending a message to the masses of other troops under French arms: "do your duty, or face the same penalty". The concept was known as "pour encourager les autres"; literally, "for the encouragement of the others".

Sirius can't afford not to enforce the non-compete with Art. They have to show their own talent as well as any potential outside opponents that they are not pushovers and will insist on their contract rights being observed. And for no other reason than "pour encourager les autres"

alleyrulez

I find it hilarious that people are still blaming Sirius in all of this.

Kolchak

Quote from: alleyrulez on November 10, 2013, 12:56:34 PM

But some 30-day trial people had their streams drop! Of course Sirius is at fault!

shell88

In addition to all the other factors that have caused DM to fall consider this:

Art:  "Maybe they think my back problems were too much, there were times it was tough to even walk home after
sitting for four hours. BTW, I chose to do four hours instead of the contracted three and if we had found a
way to continue I would have done so till I could no longer walk. So if you think I just wanted to quit you are
so wrong."

"They may be concerned about my back problems, they are real and pretty awful
when they happen. It can cause me to lose a day or so because it is impossible to
move when it happens but so far I have always recovered."

Nothing like a bad back to suck the wind out of your sales to boot.

ItsOver

Quote from: Kolchak on November 10, 2013, 01:01:49 PM
But some 30-day trial people had their streams drop! Of course Sirius is at fault!

...and the truckers, cell phones, a sub-par Halloween show.  Oh, the horror.

Sardondi

Quote from: shell88 on November 10, 2013, 01:03:22 PM...Art:  "Maybe they think my back problems were too much, there were times it was tough to even walk home after
sitting for four hours. BTW, I chose to do four hours instead of the contracted three and if we had found a
way to continue I would have done so till I could no longer walk. So if you think I just wanted to quit you are
so wrong."

"They may be concerned about my back problems, they are real and pretty awful
when they happen. It can cause me to lose a day or so because it is impossible to
move when it happens but so far I have always recovered."...
It's like listening to a sixth-grader blame everyone else for the reason he flunked....

ItsOver

Quote from: Sardondi on November 10, 2013, 01:10:05 PM
It's like listening to a sixth-grader blame everyone else for the reason he flunked....

Are we going back to the dogs again?  First luring unsuspecting alternative life-style "swingers" and now eating Art's homework?  ;)  Damn dogs.

shell88

Quote from: Sardondi on November 10, 2013, 01:10:05 PM
Absolutely. I agree.  He knew what the state of his health was before he signed. It's just another ominous sign thrown in with the rest, and an additional deflector.
It's been horrible timing for the birth of his show. 

HorrorRetro

Quote from: treeelf on November 10, 2013, 12:40:05 PM
Red ice is a great alternative.  Although Hendrick doesn't exactly push as hard as art, he has a European stoicism and killer guests with out that sickeningly overt commercial feel that c2c has cultivated over the last decade..

I'll give it a shot.  So far, I've tried out Dave Schrader's show as well as Don Ecker's Dark Matters.  By the way, I picked a random Dark Matters show, I think it was mid-October, and he was really ragging on Art and how Dark Matter was an imitation of his show.  Pretty ironic, considering how all this has played out.

richard cee

Quote from: alleyrulez on November 10, 2013, 12:56:34 PM

I don't understand,what's Gene Autry got to do with this!!!
But you are right
And to add why else would they want him back, the show wasn't that good
Might have been in the future but we will never know, will we

Sardondi

Quote from: shell88 on November 10, 2013, 01:20:02 PM
Absolutely. I agree.  He knew what the state of his health was before he signed. It's just another ominous sign thrown in with the rest.
It's been horrible timing for the birth of his show.
I just wish someone at Sirius would work out a way to "medicine-ize" their shows. Because it's fairly obvious that if Sirius could have magically produced, say, a million-member audience for Art (call it "taking a million units of Sirius-cillin"), it would have cured his back PDQ.

Next time someone asks me if I wanna take a ride, he'd better have a solid AAA trip plan, and none of this next available exit stuff, either.

ItsOver

Quote from: Kolchak on November 10, 2013, 01:01:49 PM

OMG... Sirius made Art quit!  You bastards!

Jocko Johnson

Quote from: Falkie2013 on November 10, 2013, 01:15:22 AM

Went down to feed my cats. Its getting cold out there for the first time.

As for Art, I think that perhaps his being isolated all these years left him with a sense of " I can handle things on my own. " and thus he thought Sirius needed him more than they really did.

Or perhaps Art is right and there is a conspiracy by Premiere or someone to ensure he never comes back on the air.

He's never been alone jorchie has always been there for him. U know sending him a lawyer...gratis no less having him on his show to promote DM. Of course he stabbed him in the back every chance he got. ..oates, stealing guests and who knows what else. And we all know this cause dave always tells us why he is so wonderful!
I am getting nauseous with all this bullshit...I am winding down folks just winding down...

Falkie2013

Oh, Art our King.
Why hast thou forsaken us ?
We who paid tribute to harken to your words.
Didst the 'rats in suits turn you from your people and bend thy headphones to silence ?
And didst the thoughts of the evil $nooremaster cloud your thoughts and your judgement ?

Didst thy lucky numeral fall out of thy pouch and blow away in a Sirocco ?
We ask thee to go to the land of the great default and cross the Potomac.
And prostate thyself at the feet of the great satellite master, Sirius.
And beg his forgiveness and grant unto you his mercy.

And thou shall go and sin no more.
Forever.

( At least until the next time ... )

;)

Falkie2013

Quote from: Jocko Johnson on November 10, 2013, 01:40:46 PM
He's never been alone jorchie has always been there for him. U know sending him a lawyer...gratis no less having him on his show to promote DM. Of course he stabbed him in the back every chance he got. ..oates, stealing guests and who knows what else. And we all know this cause dave always tells us why he is so wonderful!
I am getting nauseous with all this bullshit...I am winding down folks just winding down...

The clock is ticking. Friday at 12:01 I will reveal the latest $noory ploy.

ItsOver

Quote from: Falkie2013 on November 10, 2013, 01:41:07 PM
Oh, Art our King.
Why hast thou forsaken us ?...( At least until the next time ... )

;)

That's pretty good, Falkie.  If we get enough of these prayers, maybe we can form our own religion or at least a cult.  I fear Art, though, is not going to rise again, so it'll just have to be kind of a fun-loving, pointless cult.  We can sacrifice cell phones, truckers, and Jess.  That should keep us busy for awhile.