Greatest country song of all time?

Started by akwilly, March 24, 2016, 02:51:06 AM

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

trostol

Quote from: the_peeve on March 25, 2016, 09:27:07 PM
Kris Kristofferson covered by Johnny Cash.

So many lines in this song, just grab me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED5s1-Fe9FA

and the songwriter does a good version too...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=men-059FGL0

i like Kristofferson's version better

albrecht

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on March 25, 2016, 09:12:02 PM
I was thinking of that one too but most don't know it as well as some of his others. Great song! I seem to remember seeing Elvis Costello performing it with him somewhere but I couldn't find it anywhere right now.
He would've been GJ on my list but figured in keeping with his tradition "no show!" But yeah, a great. Contrary to public opinion really there are so many genres in C&W (and other "country") music that it is impossible and there is also the newer stuff, which is also great, the alt country, neo-old school, bluegrass revival, singer-songwriter, and a whole "Texas Music" scene. It runs a bigger gamut than ones thinks, really. The whole polished "Nashville" smooth sound to the honky-tonk or high-voice bluegrass. And combos of all. I like it. This was a great band locally that I loved covering Elvis:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnsdk7FWfZU


AvDaBr

I wouldn't say greatest ever, but I've always liked "Drivin' My Life Away" and "Dixie Land Delight".

ksm32

Hands down, and for all the reasons that matter, the recorded studio version. The best there will ever be, Waylon!

Lonesome On'ry and Mean






I win.


Dr. MD MD

Ok, this may be the thread to figure something out I've been trying to track down for years now. This isn't really a country song, more like a comedy folk song but it sounds kinda countryish. It's about a guy going to an outhouse to take a shit but then encounters a bear and the lyrics I can remember go something like, "It was bear. A great big mother of a bear..." I'm vague on the rest but I think the chorus resolves by rhyming "bear" with "got out of there" I believe it was done in 2/4 timing. Any help would be appreciated. Like I said, it's literally been years that I've been trying to figure this out. Thanks.


akwilly

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on March 26, 2016, 03:13:54 AM
Ok, this may be the thread to figure something out I've been trying to track down for years now. This isn't really a country song, more like a comedy folk song but it sounds kinda countryish. It's about a guy going to an outhouse to take a shit but then encounters a bear and the lyrics I can remember go something like, "It was bear. A great big mother of a bear..." I'm vague on the rest but I think the chorus resolves by rhyming "bear" with "got out of there" I believe it was done in 2/4 timing. Any help would be appreciated. Like I said, it's literally been years that I've been trying to figure this out. Thanks.
sounds like a jerry clower routine but I don't think he ever sang

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: akwilly on March 26, 2016, 03:22:22 AM
sounds like a jerry clower routine but I don't think he ever sang

This was definitely a recorded song. I heard it on a radio station about 25 years ago but have never been able to figure out who or where. I suppose I should've just called the station at the time but it wasn't a priority and didn't become an obsession until I started to try to tell people about it years later. No one knew. I just wished I could play it for them but I never found it. It could've been a more local thing somewhere, put out on a small or non-existent label now. I sure wish I could find it though. It was just a silly kinda campfire song, really.

akwilly

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on March 26, 2016, 03:27:39 AM
This was definitely a recorded song. I heard it on a radio station about 25 years ago but have never been able to figure out who or where. I suppose I should've just called the station at the time but it wasn't a priority and didn't become an obsession until I started to try to tell people about it years later. No one knew. I just wished I could play it for them but I never found it. It could've been a more local thing somewhere, put out on a small or non-existent label now. I sure wish I could find it though. It was just a silly kinda campfire song, really.
it sounds vaguely familiar. Dang now I am curious. Ray Stevens did a lot of songs like that but probably not that one.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: akwilly on March 26, 2016, 03:30:28 AM
it sounds vaguely familiar. Dang now I am curious. Ray Stevens did a lot of songs like that but probably not that one.

I don't think it was him but the voice of the singer reminded me of Burl Ives a bit.


akwilly

You can't go wrong with Merle. One of my favs by him is If We Make it through December.

Brody

No Hank Jr love?

Too close to hillbilly rock?

akwilly

Quote from: Brody on March 26, 2016, 05:40:30 AM
No Hank Jr love?

Too close to hillbilly rock?
hank Jr is in my top 5 but I stand by my pick for best country song.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: akwilly on March 26, 2016, 04:13:04 AM
You can't go wrong with Merle. One of my favs by him is If We Make it through December.

Good at Christmas time  ;)

GravitySucks

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on March 26, 2016, 03:13:54 AM
Ok, this may be the thread to figure something out I've been trying to track down for years now. This isn't really a country song, more like a comedy folk song but it sounds kinda countryish. It's about a guy going to an outhouse to take a shit but then encounters a bear and the lyrics I can remember go something like, "It was bear. A great big mother of a bear..." I'm vague on the rest but I think the chorus resolves by rhyming "bear" with "got out of there" I believe it was done in 2/4 timing. Any help would be appreciated. Like I said, it's literally been years that I've been trying to figure this out. Thanks.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Il0ljBmz6tM


Probably not the greatest, but holy fuck I really like this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftpt7u16xVU

albrecht

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on March 26, 2016, 10:13:04 AM
This is, indeed, it! Thanks GS! You're my hero!  ;D
I think it quite apropos that one great source of American music (and other) are from German-based "Bear Family Records" company who make crazily complete box-set releases of music.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_Family_Records

comaphobe

she is from austin texas and has several albums of original songs of her own, but here is rosie flores doing johnny cash.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhdad2HQ31M



akwilly

Quote from: comaphobe on April 05, 2016, 04:44:11 AM
she is from austin texas and has several albums of original songs of her own, but here is rosie flores doing johnny cash.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhdad2HQ31M
she did a nice cover, would like to hear more

Gruntled

K.D. Lang does a nice version of Roy Orbison's "Crying"
I like Glen Campbell's "By the time I get to Phoenix" too.
Love Lucinda Williams. Saw her twice.
Some great songs and artists mentioned here.
Thanks

trostol

has it taken this long to get to this guy...nothing overly..fantastic in a way but i was always a fan of these two

https://youtu.be/Jj4nJ1YEAp4

https://youtu.be/AR2VC9Tl1Fs

Catsmile


I just had to check this thread out, and there it was, the GREATEST country song of all time. David Allen Coe. Right on, Catsmile!
I saw him right after he got out of prison. He was the opening act for somebody I don't remember, but I remember him, vividly. That was at the Warehouse in New Orleans, many moons ago.

Mind Flayer Monk

Quote from: Original Larry on April 05, 2016, 03:33:45 PM
I just had to check this thread out, and there it was, the GREATEST country song of all time. David Allen Coe. Right on, Catsmile!

I've got my David Allen CEO trucker cap.

Powered by SMFPacks Menu Editor Mod