Greatest country song of all time?

Started by akwilly, March 24, 2016, 02:51:06 AM

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Dr. MD MD

While not strictly country, this song just kinda popped into my head the last couple days. It's country enough  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulVQsQBenvs


WOTR

I know it is not the best country song of all times... Really, not even close.  But it holds a special place in my heart along with two other non country songs for different reasons.  I will not go Falkiesque here, but this one reminds me of a special girl who is no longer around and a different time and place in my life.  Funny how some relationships can make such an impact and end so unexpectedly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvlJJRCGzdw

Now that were are looking at "not the best country song" and going down memory lane, I will also post Pam Tillis.  A few years after "the dance" became the song for that experience this one displaced it.  Well, it's been over a decade (or two?) now and it only crosses my mind occasionally.  Fuck it- time for a drink- in some ways, it still holds true.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjw_uIJQFko

pate

Five whole pages of goodness to read through?

Not Sure I have thyme enough headwind to catch this thread a-Beam...

Honestly, the first great country song I recall (and it took years of regressive hypnosis to find out that I'd been "touched" by a country song)...

Me and the pschycolonogyst(sp) have reams of tape, but one will forgive me for not posting the evidence, y'all will just have to trust me.

Forgive, it's not just 'Murican, it's the right thing to eat, like oatmeal.  Thank you, Wilfred Brumley!

Here's the damning evidence that has probably already been posted up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBmE_clkBBU

akwilly

Quote from: WOTR on April 07, 2016, 03:24:26 AM
I know it is not the best country song of all times... Really, not even close.  But it holds a special place in my heart along with two other non country songs for different reasons.  I will not go Falkiesque here, but this one reminds me of a special girl who is no longer around and a different time and place in my life.  Funny how some relationships can make such an impact and end so unexpectedly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvlJJRCGzdw

Now that were are looking at "not the best country song" and going down memory lane, I will also post Pam Tillis.  A few years after "the dance" became the song for that experience this one displaced it.  Well, it's been over a decade (or two?) now and it only crosses my mind occasionally.  Fuck it- time for a drink- in some ways, it still holds true.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjw_uIJQFko
the dance is a great song. The video I think is what people think of when they hear it now. Its amazing to me how songs can take me to a specific moment in time that I might have not thought about and also how vivid those memories can be even after many years.


akwilly

Holy Fun Pate you are killing me! Regressive therapy because you were "touched" by a country song. Lol

pate

Touched nuthin' AKAwilly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOZ4p0yHT28

That particular gem isn't perhaps destined for a Country Hall of Fame, but it still tickles me.

As for feather ticklin', aw, I shouldn't go there.  Old Billy Butler of the where is that home-grown good ol' boy now? West Coast somewhere?  Oakland A's?  Still love ya' Billy.  Good times, sir!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIuyDWzctgY

Billy Butler is a good man, take care of him if you have the grace of heaven to have him on your team.  That is enough out of me in the peanut gallery.  Billy, sir, prosit!

Gruntled

" I'm so lonesome I could Cry"
Hank.
Jimmie Dale Gilmore's version excellent too.
Leon Russell's too.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: WOTR on April 07, 2016, 03:24:26 AM
I know it is not the best country song of all times... Really, not even close.  But it holds a special place in my heart along with two other non country songs for different reasons.  I will not go Falkiesque here, but this one reminds me of a special girl who is no longer around and a different time and place in my life.  Funny how some relationships can make such an impact and end so unexpectedly.


Now that were are looking at "not the best country song" and going down memory lane, I will also post Pam Tillis.  A few years after "the dance" became the song for that experience this one displaced it.  Well, it's been over a decade (or two?) now and it only crosses my mind occasionally.  Fuck it- time for a drink- in some ways, it still holds true.

If you live long enough you'll have a whole album's worth of songs like that, eventually  ;)

Good tunes!  :)

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: pate on April 07, 2016, 04:06:41 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIuyDWzctgY

Billy Butler is a good man, take care of him if you have the grace of heaven to have him on your team.  That is enough out of me in the peanut gallery.  Billy, sir, prosit!

Weird. I've always loved that Dobie Gray song but never placed it as country. I guess I always thought it was more soul or something but it really is more of a country song. Is his other stuff country too? I'm really only familiar with this song.


pate

Meh, horn a'tootin' a fiddle skrabbler's...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNHYIw9OKyk

'taint nuthin' toit...

A'g

Dr. MD MD

Heard this on Willie's yesterday and thought it exemplified a classic country song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHXispgbb84

Mind Flayer Monk

Quote from: pate on April 07, 2016, 04:06:41 AM

Billy Butler is a good man, take care of him if you have the grace of heaven to have him on your team.  That is enough out of me in the peanut gallery.  Billy, sir, prosit!

Butler is terrible in Oakland. Everyone hates him because he can't hit.
At least former A's manager Dick Williams can sing

https://youtu.be/VJp4zhTkh4c

pate

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on April 09, 2016, 04:32:56 AM
...

Butler/concierge(sp?)

...

I have witnessed from afar such battles.

They get ugly/igloo.

Not Sure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jhRtybGYD4

here's one with lyrics, awful picture.

I want no explanation of why my children get so old, no wonder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHvVXMVSy4c

Heh.

Heck yeah, bluegrass or as my mom used to say, that hillbilly shit I listen to. Nothing better on earth  to listen to, driving down a country road.

Bill Monroe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cXJFvRuhXk

Osborne Brothers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhiOaSWuFjU

Ralph Stanley
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn-1p3MU39k

Ricky Scaggs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpH8Wu9DbjM



albrecht

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on April 09, 2016, 05:13:35 PM
Heck yeah, bluegrass or as my mom used to say, that hillbilly shit I listen to. Nothing better on earth  to listen to, driving down a country road.


It is funny the young ones often win the fiddling etc contests (I guess hands so flexible.) The stuff with the young Ricky Scaggs are awesome, with legends.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhvDvMV4_FY
I loved Doc & Merle Watson, wish I've could've seen them live or gone to DocFest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbcJi5nF03o
And there is quite a range, much breakdown bluegrass makes you so happy but also the ballads are the opposite:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uQX9bq78FI

Quote from: albrecht on April 09, 2016, 05:25:14 PM
It is funny the young ones often win the fiddling etc contests (I guess hands so flexible.) The stuff with the young Ricky Scaggs are awesome, with legends.
That video with young Ricky Scaggs is amazing. Talent at such an early age is rare.

QuoteI loved Doc & Merle Watson, wish I've could've seen them live or gone to DocFest
Yeah, I regret not seeing them live, too.

QuoteAnd there is quite a range, much breakdown bluegrass makes you so happy but also the ballads are the opposite:
For wringing that last tear drop out, there is no one like the great Hank Williams
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WXYjm74WFI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn2e4Dhod7M&list=PLJH-qDDJGVTaBtrixylbpi_G0HT8xmgIf

albrecht

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on April 09, 2016, 05:42:57 PM
That video with young Ricky Scaggs is amazing. Talent at such an early age is rare.
Yeah, I regret not seeing them live, too.
For wringing that last tear drop out, there is no one like the great Hank Williams

Hank is the best and Bob Wills is still the King.
I really think Johnny Paycheck is overlooked. He had a great voice and some poignant singing (in addition to his popular songs.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sdwCoR0HeA
here with Hag:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0kcMpWLfAM

Johnny Paycheck had a great voice. "Take This Job and Shove It" was a mixed blessing. Financially it probably was great, but he had so much emotional range for ballads and they don't get played enough. Those two are really good ones, albrecht.

albrecht

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on April 09, 2016, 06:19:18 PM
Johnny Paycheck had a great voice. "Take This Job and Shove It" was a mixed blessing. Financially it probably was great, but he had so much emotional range for ballads and they don't get played enough. Those two are really good ones, albrecht.
Yeah, he had some great songs and could really sing. But, like most, it is nice to have a "money-maker" to get checks mailed. DAC is another guy more well known for his popular (or even "underground" stuff, which was really satire) but was a great singer and songwriter. Happens to many and who can blame? A lot of people who just write and sing great stuff won't make it. I had the opportunity to go to Jerry Jeff Walker's house and he even said "you just need to write one good song," or cover one, and play at  "frat houses and etc concerts" and pays the bills and puts kids through school.


the_peeve





NastyGash

Drop Kick Me Jesus Through The Goalposts Of Life by Bobby Bare



Powered by SMFPacks Menu Editor Mod