• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Midnight In The Desert

Started by Falkie2013, December 12, 2015, 01:13:40 AM

Sean92008

Does a narcissistic recluse benefit from the interwebs or suffer because of it?

Asking for a podcast host.

GravitySucks

Quote from: ge30542 on June 01, 2018, 05:16:35 PM
Oh GOD!
Maybe split the proceeds with the local PBS station.

Wonder what top dollar bid would be to get a look at Heater's snatch.

Depends on whether Paul is buying it for Ella or if Ella is buying it for Paul.

El Chorro

Quote from: GravitySucks on June 01, 2018, 05:19:36 PM
I didn’t read the manual, but I am guessing the 40.0 is how much is built up in the buffer and each press of the “Dump” button dumps 7 seconds.  It allows you to determine if you have enough of the stream buffered to have a functional “Dump” button.  I don’t see anyone attempting to manage dumping 40 seconds at a time.

If you dump the last seven seconds why do you need forty? Not terribly radio-savvy here. Seems like you hit "dump" and kill the call.

chefist

Quote from: SpookyTim on June 01, 2018, 05:03:25 PM
I'm thinking tonight is a good night to drink a bunch of White Russians and then get ready to call into some late-night paranormal streaming radio shows.

GravitySucks

Quote from: El Chorro on June 01, 2018, 05:22:20 PM
If you dump the last seven seconds why do you need forty? Not terribly radio-savvy here. Seems like you hit "dump" and kill the call.

It gives you the capability to hit “Dump” multiple times and slowly build up the buffered stream so that it sounds normal when it is actually streaming.  The device slows down the stream until a buffer is built up. Each time the button is pushed, it has to restore the buffer. If the buffer was only 7 seconds it would not be able to hit “Dump” two times in a row.

WeinerInHand

Quote from: Sean92008 on June 01, 2018, 05:21:32 PM
Does a narcissistic recluse benefit from the interwebs or suffer because of it?

Asking for a podcast host.

The duality of man

El Chorro

Quote from: GravitySucks on June 01, 2018, 05:26:18 PM
It gives you the capability to hit “Dump” multiple times and slowly build up the buffered stream so that it sounds normal when it is actually streaming.  The device slows down the stream until a buffer is built up. Each time the button is pushed, it has to restore the buffer. If the buffer was only 7 seconds it would not be able to hit “Dump” two times in a row.

Oh, so the show is always 40 seconds behind, so if you hit dump it slows the remaining built-up 33 seconds so you can try to pick it up and sound fairly normal? The only show I regularly hear it used is Savage's, and it's always obvious. I guess he doesn't care enough to hide that he's done it...maybe the concept is to try and cover the use more artfully than he bothers to.

SpookyTim

The delay is how much time there is between her saying something live, and it being broadcast out over the streams and anyone else carrying it. Delays are usually to allow affiliates to drop in local spots, and especially station legal IDs (which are required by law once per hour on terrestrial radio). The delay also helps with use of the DUMP button. The DUMP button likely works on a 7-second delay, but once she uses it, it will take a little bit of time to build the buffer back up. So I'd assume it takes 40 seconds for it to buffer back up. So someone says a bad word, she hits the dump button, now she keeps talking without taking a call because she is truly "live" for 40 seconds, then the buffer is built back up and she's safe again if she has to dump out again. It's a protection thing.

El Chorro

Quote from: SpookyTim on June 01, 2018, 05:32:02 PM
The delay is how much time there is between her saying something live, and it being broadcast out over the streams and anyone else carrying it. Delays are usually to allow affiliates to drop in local spots, and especially station legal IDs (which are required by law once per hour on terrestrial radio). The delay also helps with use of the DUMP button. The DUMP button likely works on a 7-second delay, but once she uses it, it will take a little bit of time to build the buffer back up. So I'd assume it takes 40 seconds for it to buffer back up. So someone says a bad word, she hits the dump button, now she keeps talking without taking a call because she is truly "live" for 40 seconds, then the buffer is built back up and she's safe again if she has to dump out again. It's a protection thing.

Thanks guys. Ready for my podcast  ;D

Sean92008

Quote from: GravitySucks on June 01, 2018, 05:19:36 PM
I didn’t read the manual, but I am guessing the 40.0 is how much is built up in the buffer and each press of the “Dump” button dumps 7 seconds.  It allows you to determine if you have enough of the stream buffered to have a functional “Dump” button.  I don’t see anyone attempting to manage dumping 40 seconds at a time.
No, that's a full dump when the button is pushed.

It goes immediately to live radio while the buffer builds up again. (Presumably using subtle time compression).  If she dumped 40 seconds, supposedly the machine blocks any other call from airing until the unit recovers a dump buffer.

If she really wanted the legacy, she should dump using Art's "call the wild card line" VO.

What she doesn't know is that there's a remote signal code Eventide engineered into it so that they could remotely troubleshoot the unit.  The signal works fine on copper and VoIP/VoLTE... Someone could really give her a migraine and screw the show up, messing with her mind and causing a breakdown on an cracked open mic.  40 seconds is a long time to make up and could slow the ability to hear her sycophants slurping ass juice.

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

Juan

The device that drives me crazy is the one that lets local stations speed up in time a national broadcast so they can get in more local commercials.  I can get two stations carrying Rush Limbaugh.  One starts two minutes after the other but they both finish the half hour at the same time.

GravitySucks

Quote from: El Chorro on June 01, 2018, 05:31:38 PM
Oh, so the show is always 40 seconds behind, so if you hit dump it slows the remaining built-up 33 seconds so you can try to pick it up and sound fairly normal? The only show I regularly hear it used is Savage's, and it's always obvious. I guess he doesn't care enough to hide that he's done it...maybe the concept is to try and cover the use more artfully than he bothers to.

Art used to use it all the time to dump people’s last names. You could tell when he did it because it would play one of his liners “To call the wildcard line...”.

Jocko Johnson

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on June 01, 2018, 01:00:21 AM
Turd vaporizer.
I need to go to the Prime Rib room at Ted Bell's Steakhouse for a bite after this. But First see Rudy at the bar/lounge for a double Jack Daniel's neat.
Only because Hong Kong Charlie's won't deliver this far at nite and he most certainly out Peking Duck by now.

bellNwhistle

Quote from: SpookyTim on June 01, 2018, 05:03:25 PM
I'm thinking tonight is a good night to drink a bunch of White Russians and then get ready to call into some late-night paranormal streaming radio shows.

Double dog dare you!!

El Chorro

Quote from: Juan on June 01, 2018, 05:36:36 PM
The device that drives me crazy is the one that lets local stations speed up in time a national broadcast so they can get in more local commercials.  I can get two stations carrying Rush Limbaugh.  One starts two minutes after the other but they both finish the half hour at the same time.

There's one I used to hear on Laura Ingraham's show that actually slowed her way down. That show always had its issues technically, made more apparent by Laura's on-air sniping at her team (Savage-style).

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Nobody on June 01, 2018, 04:45:41 PM
A few years ago, when Heather was newly freed from the odious clutches of BellGab (Booooo! Hisssss!), a lot of her old BG posts were reposted.  From what I could gather, Heather has spent most of her adult life living as a near-recluse (if not an actual one).  In addition, she made it quite clear that cameras were anathema to her, going so far as to refuse to purchase a laptop until she could find one without a built-in webcam.

I believe that Art actually paid for her to have a session with a professional photographer.  However, if I remember correctly, Heather was dissatisfied with the pictures he took.  Instead, she ended up using one that Aldous took in an informal setting and has used only that one since.

While I can somewhat understand her preference to live like a recluse (it's nice work if you can get it in today's hyperconnected world, I suppose), I cannot reconcile her frantic desire to be a celebrity of some sort with her apparent reluctance to have her picture taken. 

I've known a minor celebrity or two in my time and it's an either/or proposition: if you want to remain unknown, you needn't have your picture taken.  However, a few photographs are de rigueur even for an f-list celebrity.  Heather, it seems, wants to have her cake and eat it, too.

I tried running this by a chum who is a far keener student of human nature than I am.  After fixing me with a look (no, not that look, the other look) she said:

So there's that.

I'm not sure whether Dick Emery's aunt and a Chuckle Brother really counts, but have it your way.

Sean92008

I stand corrected...  The dump time is programmable on this unit. 1-40 seconds.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Jocko Johnson on June 01, 2018, 05:38:00 PM
I need to go to the Prime Rib room at Ted Bell's Steakhouse for a bite after this. But First see Rudy at the bar/lounge for a double Jack Daniel's neat.
Only because Hong Kong Charlie's won't deliver this far at nite and he most certainly out Peking Duck by now.

'We want to put our meat in your mouth'.

Sean92008

Quote from: Juan on June 01, 2018, 05:36:36 PM
KFI & KOGO have had that competition too.  Now that Rush isn't on KFI, I don't know if his new station does that.

El Chorro

I went to sign up for Dave's shows, but you have to create a PayPal account. Most sites that use PayPal allow you to process your card without a PayPal account. Is there some other way to register? I missed the show last night and was hoping to finally join.

albrecht

Quote from: Jocko Johnson on June 01, 2018, 05:38:00 PM
Have a "Ted" instead. You know he invented the rum & coke and putting baked potatoes in aluminum foil? If you give a look he will also spike your date's drink without her knowledge to help that date along, he will also do so to retarded kids making a racket.

Element 115

Quote from: El Chorro on June 01, 2018, 05:45:54 PM
I went to sign up for Dave's shows, but you have to create a PayPal account. Most sites that use PayPal allow you to process your card without a PayPal account. Is there some other way to register? I missed the show last night and was hoping to finally join.

No, you need a PayPal account for this purchase.  There is currently no other way to register.

El Chorro

Quote from: Sean92008 on June 01, 2018, 05:43:33 PM
I stand corrected...  The dump time is programmable on this unit. 1-40 seconds.

So one could assume a lazy or casual broadcaster would opt for the longest dump time, in case something gets "missed," or that a paranoid broadcaster would use it to mask the entire 40 seconds prior to the offense, hoping to obliterate the entire call? Seems Heather gave up her game by posting the "40," unless that's the default or a stock photo.

El Chorro

Quote from: Element 115 on June 01, 2018, 05:50:13 PM
No, you need a PayPal account for this purchase.  There is currently no other way to register.

Thanks.

El Chorro

Levin just dumped a caller and simply started talking...with a lot of pauses, obviously filling time until his 40 seconds were filled back up again. No effort to hide what he did, and actually did it because he didn't want to engage the caller's point.

Jocko Johnson

Quote from: Bluejay on June 01, 2018, 09:55:25 AM
Very interesting...

There has to be a death certificate for the body to be released for burial. What we need to see is what the doctor listed as the "cause and manner of death." That is important. If the manner isn't something suspicious then there is nothing there. But they can be amended if investigation proves otherwise.

ItsOver

Quote from: albrecht on June 01, 2018, 05:49:59 PM
Have a "Ted" instead. You know he invented the rum & coke and putting baked potatoes in aluminum foil? If you give a look he will also spike your date's drink without her knowledge to help that date along, he will also do so to retarded kids making a racket.
Ted cares about his customers.  He'd even serve a gay man and a gay journalist.