• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Midnight In The Desert

Started by Falkie2013, December 12, 2015, 01:13:40 AM

73s

Quote from: Juan Cena on April 05, 2016, 12:53:01 AM
I think my questions go over Heather and her guest's heads
Always good calls Juan

73s

In light of recent comments by Art, including that Heather is in the driver's seat (not just "keeping the seat warm" for Art) and the fact that it's been about 4 months since he went off air, doesn't it seem like a good time for Heather to remake the program to some degree? Every time I hear that lead-in with the "Chase" I feel like Art's voice should soon follow. Why not all new bumper music, a new style of her own, change things up a bit with the types of guests? Is she or Keith afraid of losing revenue? It just seems like she's still in the mentality of keeping it a clone of Art's former show in hopes that he will just come right back any time. Clearly he's done. At this point I'd be surprised if he ever comes back on, but certainly not on a regular basis.

All mocking aside, I do feel she is "getting better", probably not "every day" as suggested by Art. And I'm not sure she will ramp up fast enough or become a good enough host to keep this ship sailing (I guess we'll find out). Sometimes I get the feeling that Keith doesn't really want her in the chair but nobody else will step up to take the position. Comments made by Heather on occasion strike me that she might not be all that sad to see someone else take the helm either. But other times she seems like she name-drops and feels like a big wig in the industry! It's a funny show (not funny "ha ha" but you know what I mean).

akwilly

Quote from: 73s on April 05, 2016, 06:01:33 AM
In light of recent comments by Art, including that Heather is in the driver's seat (not just "keeping the seat warm" for Art) and the fact that it's been about 4 months since he went off air, doesn't it seem like a good time for Heather to remake the program to some degree? Every time I hear that lead-in with the "Chase" I feel like Art's voice should soon follow. Why not all new bumper music, a new style of her own, change things up a bit with the types of guests? Is she or Keith afraid of losing revenue? It just seems like she's still in the mentality of keeping it a clone of Art's former show in hopes that he will just come right back any time. Clearly he's done. At this point I'd be surprised if he ever comes back on, but certainly not on a regular basis.

All mocking aside, I do feel she is "getting better", probably not "every day" as suggested by Art. And I'm not sure she will ramp up fast enough or become a good enough host to keep this ship sailing (I guess we'll find out). Sometimes I get the feeling that Keith doesn't really want her in the chair but nobody else will step up to take the position. Comments made by Heather on occasion strike me that she might not be all that sad to see someone else take the helm either. But other times she seems like she name-drops and feels like a big wig in the industry! It's a funny show (not funny "ha ha" but you know what I mean).
I believe Heather wants to be a producer not a full time host. I give her all the credit in the world for stepping up when art shit on the network. She is doing great under the circumstances she was thrown into and now that she has a producer she can maybe get some sleep. If I were her I would have kicked Arts ass and said fuck it.

Ms. C

Quote from: starrmtn001 on April 04, 2016, 10:53:57 PM
"They Live" sounds familiar.
Starrmtn, find this movie and watch it!!  One if the absolute best sci-fi flicks ever!

trostol

many times it was suggested to make it her own..even by Art on the gabcast he did..she refuses...and every time i think she is getting better she sort of..goes off the rails and does something to..pull her back down...the problem really though is still over done guests and topics..she needs a producer who will help her branch out some

Auslandia

Quote from: Juan Cena on April 05, 2016, 01:07:24 AM
It's a space drive powered by hacking into the universe's underlying "coding," and rewriting it to move the ship toward through space.i

My personal fave is the improbability drive.

73s

Quote from: trostol on April 05, 2016, 11:13:01 AM
many times it was suggested to make it her own..even by Art on the gabcast he did..she refuses...and every time i think she is getting better she sort of..goes off the rails and does something to..pull her back down...the problem really though is still over done guests and topics..she needs a producer who will help her branch out some
I'm hoping the new producer will kick things up a notch or two.  I have emailed her both positive and constructive negative feedback as well as guest sugtestions but have never seen a reply so not sure if she reads or not. I agree with your assessment and also the comments from akwilly, she was certainly thrown into the deep end of the pool and has done well all things considered.

Auslandia

Guys seriously who gives a fuck?  Or let me rephrase... Why do you give a fuck?  It's just one more in an ocean of paranormal shows.  Why does it matter if she's getting better, worse, etc? 

73s

Quote from: Auslandia on April 05, 2016, 11:23:12 AM
Guys seriously who gives a fuck?  Or let me rephrase... Why do you give a fuck?  It's just one more in an ocean of paranormal shows.  Why does it matter if she's getting better, worse, etc?
I guess I like the formula or slant that the old Bell show took on things and am hoping (possibly falsely) that the HW version can continue that forward in some manner. I'm browsing other shows too but there are a ton out there and it's hard to know what is good.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 05, 2016, 01:01:38 AM
Really! Enough with the technical jargon, Juan! English!! Do you speak it, mutherfucker?!  8) :P

that is a tasty beverage!

K_Dubb

The connection with Art is the only thing that elevates her show above the mass of paranormal podcasts out there.  I don't blame her for keeping every tenuous connection she can.  I listen out of nostalgia and habit.  I wouldn't mind different topics, but her interests, from what I can tell, aren't likely to guide the show anywhere good.

She said when she first started hosting that this was her ambition, her dream.

Quote from: Auslandia on April 05, 2016, 11:23:12 AM

Its the nature of Bellgab

MV/Liberace!

Sometimes I get the feeling that Keith doesn't really want her in the chair...

i think he's make that abundantly clear.

Quote from: MV on April 05, 2016, 11:31:52 AM
i think he's make that abundantly clear.

It is incredible when you think of all the things she has survived in just 4 months time.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on April 05, 2016, 11:32:45 AM
It is incredible when you think of all the things she has survived in just 4 months time.

she's been surrounded, within her own organization, by people who wanted her to fail.  when keith posted that message stating that heather wasn't the first choice as host, she should have put him in his place both directly and on air.

Auslandia

Quote from: MV on April 05, 2016, 11:35:57 AM
she's been surrounded, within her own organization, by people who wanted her to fail.  when keith posted that message stating that heather wasn't the first choice as host, she should have put him in his place both directly and on air.

Yeah but why the fuck would Keith want her to fail when he's got about zero people lined up to take her place?  Well... Besides Hoagie but if Keith wanted Hoagie in there he'd already have him.  So I don't buy that unless Keith really wants his whole network to tank.

nbirnes

Quote from: Ms. C on April 05, 2016, 06:17:00 AM
Starrmtn, find this movie and watch it!!  One if the absolute best sci-fi flicks ever!

Seconded, with a big hand-wave and thumbs up! When I saw it the first time, I'd never laid eyes on LA and had no concept of the houses built on stilts on the side of the mountain. In addition to being a pretty intellectual take on culture, it's also one of the fighting-est movies ever and that house with its big glass window is part of the action.

For background, here is the short story by Ray Nelson that inspired the film.

https://metadave.wordpress.com/2007/07/15/eight-oclock-in-the-morning/

I can only imagine part of the problem (that nobody's officially acknowledging) is money.

Heather said on a Gabcast a few months ago that she's "very well compensated" for what she does.  Yet that seems to contradict their seeking out someone to handle the affiliates in a "volunteer capacity, but this could turn into a paid position," or whatever they said.  I'm guessing nobody's take has decreased, even as less money flows in.  Wonder what the new producer is paid.

I know this has been mom&pop operation from day one, but if you want a semi-professional show, then pay semi-professional rates.

The other part is... who's going to sit in that seat?  Even a complete unknown--if you could find somebody with talent, with a voice, who could build a story with a guest--would (if they were thinking clearly) be SERIOUSLY hesitant to get on board with Heather still involved.  There are times she seems openly bitter about the way it has all gone down, despite "I'm a big girl" and "I'm just having fun by rattling cages."  Can't imagine who'd want the displaced host as their primary backup, given a lot of what we've heard from her.  You might be volunteering to be undermined at every turn.

I've said it before, but... what was once this show's greatest asset is now its biggest liability--its past.  Old guests, old bumpers, and a whole lot of history it just can't shake.  The right ingredients in the hands of a master are magic.  But it's not the damn ingredients--it's the talent that controls them.

True crime, writers and artists, professionals in fascinating niche fields who never get a voice and can be guided by the right host... there are a thousand little directions to take a show like this.  It's sad to see a platform that STILL has promise continue to be squandered.  The pieces are STILL in place... but if the people in control can't stop pretending it's all just going to somehow work out, despite plenty of time for it to have already done so... it's going to disappear.

nbirnes

Quote from: trostol on April 05, 2016, 12:51:46 AM
never heard of it lol..but to be fair i never heard of where Nancy is from either lol

Chester, PA is nestled on the Delaware River below Philly and is the home of two very important, critical, earth-shaking things: rock and roll (Bill Haley and the Comets) and hoagies (the real ones).

Roswells, Art

Quote from: K_Dubb on April 05, 2016, 11:29:56 AM

She said when she first started hosting that this was her ambition, her dream.

You would think if it had been her ambition and dream she would have taken a broadcasting class or two. I want to be an astronaut. I wait for the call from NASA every day. Those spaceships (is that what they're called?) pretty much fly themselves, right?

K_Dubb

Quote from: MV on April 05, 2016, 11:35:57 AM

I think if everyone involved had adopted Keith's honesty from the beginning things would have a better tone now.  We tried to find somebody else, nobody else wanted it, so we got Heather.  There's nothing wrong with publicly acknowledging that the situation is less than ideal; the audience can tell, anyway.

You see how Art's full-throated endorsement fell flat?  Even he is moving around to the honest line in his recent visit, emphasizing that there wouldn't be a show had she not stepped in, rather than his usual better-every-day.

Heather's ability to keep relationships with people in that circumstance says a lot for her maturity and character, and suggests an awareness of her own shortcomings.  I wish she'd been able to keep the same honesty with her audience.

It's more about the audience being consistently lied to and treated like marks. Heather is awful but everyone knew she was going to be awful, so what's the difference? But it's the consistent stream of bullshit and three different stories that has caused so much resentment. Heather being a mess is just the cherry on the sundae.

Heather knew she was out of her element even back when she was producing Art's show and felt threatened by Ross because of the great job he was doing over on OSOM at the time. It's why she melted down at Bateman as Keith was shopping the show around to other hosts with actual radio chops; she knows she isn't good enough to do either job. I don't see much character in Heather because of those actions, only insecurity or paranoia about her position.

Auslandia

Again though... much ado about nothing. 

nbirnes

Here's a much better link for "Eight O'Clock in the Morning" by Ray Nelson:

http://raynelson.com/shortstories.html

That other link was foul, and the website was foul. Sorry.

73s

Putting aside whether someone likes or hates Heather's performance (or likes/hates Heather), I'm really curious if any other hosts have approached Keith, either to fill-in a few days a week or as a replacement? It seems to me even if you are a big fan of Heather, it might actually help her to not have to go nightly, especially as a novice host. Maybe it's absurd but it seems like there's a lot of talent on BellGab, frankly -- has anyone else from the board wanted to join in? Even other podcasters possibly guest-hosting once in awhile? As a listener it would sure make things a lot more fun. I'm relatively new to BellGab and maybe this has already been attempted but just throwing it out there. I'm also not in the industry and have no idea what might sell or not, but it seems to me something more creative could be tried here.

K_Dubb

Quote from: SixWeekTenure(tm) on April 05, 2016, 12:33:00 PM
Heather knew she was out of her element even back when she was producing Art's show and felt threatened by Ross because of the great job he was doing over on OSOM at the time.

Was there any evidence of this?  I'm afraid I may have missed something.

Oh, she's showed ample insecurity and defensiveness, as well as character and courage -- do these not war within every soul?  That's what makes this whole reality-TV-style drama so engrossing.

Quote from: SixWeekTenure(tm) on April 05, 2016, 12:33:00 PM
Heather knew she was out of her element even back when she was producing Art's show and felt threatened by Ross because of the great job he was doing over on OSOM at the time. It's why she melted down at Bateman as Keith was shopping the show around to other hosts with actual radio chops; she knows she isn't good enough to do either job. I don't see much character in Heather because of those actions, only insecurity or paranoia about her position.

Yuuup.  Security in your own vision is a hallmark of a seasoned pro.  HAVING a vision comes from being a creative professional for long enough that you've earned it, failure by failure, success by success.  What we hear, over and over, is someone taking their first tentative creative steps--and whether you're 12, 40, or 65 is immaterial--and melting down when you realize you haven't earned it, yet.  Most people have these meltdowns privately in their amateur years, and get them out of the way--and by the time they've got a platform, they've paid their dues for it.  It's why "empires," big or small, can't simply be handed down.

littlechris

Quote from: TinCupChalice on April 05, 2016, 12:44:19 PM
Yuuup.  Security in your own vision is a hallmark of a seasoned pro.  HAVING a vision comes from being a creative professional for long enough that you've earned it, failure by failure, success by success.  What we hear, over and over, is someone taking their first tentative creative steps--and whether you're 12, 40, or 65 is immaterial--and melting down when you realize you haven't earned it, yet.  Most people have these meltdowns privately in their amateur years, and get them out of the way--and by the time they've got a platform, they've paid their dues for it.  It's why "empires," big or small, can't simply be handed down.

Well said. I don't blame Heather for taking the job. She saw an opportunity and jumped on it. I blame Art Bell for putting her there. It makes absolutely no sense why he would choose someone with no radio skills to run a show. She's producing and hosting the show, all with no prior experience. So yes of course the end product is gonna suck. Again, this whole mess is Art's fault.

Quote from: littlechris on April 05, 2016, 12:57:14 PM
Well said. I don't blame Heather for taking the job. She saw an opportunity and jumped on it. I blame Art Bell for putting her there.

If people hadn't turned this into such a circus at the start, DMDN would probably be over by now.
People are listening because people are talking about the show.

Now that we are 4 months in, I think showroom dummy was correct-if the chair is open, you take the job. Heather took it.