• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20150922 - Dr. Kevin Trenberth - Climate Change - Live Show Chat Thread

Started by jazmunda, September 22, 2015, 04:40:07 PM

OK Art - I'm calling you out on that one. IF the oceans were rising, wouldn't NYC be under water by now? It's right at sea level. I don't buy the rising waters information . Sorry Art, I just don't buy it.

Barfly

Quote from: 21st Century Man on September 23, 2015, 12:48:36 AM
Someone from 7 miles away thinks I'm cute.  Should I click on the ad or what?
Is she fat? Does she deliver, how much and does she expect a tip?

inuk2600

Quote from: 21st Century Man on September 23, 2015, 12:48:36 AM
Someone from 7 miles away thinks I'm cute.  Should I click on the ad or what?

Haha, well if you gotta ask, then yes ;)

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: zmbabwe on September 23, 2015, 12:48:18 AM
Oh boy.  What are premRatz and who is MV?

premRatz=Employees of Premiere Radio and Coast to Coast AM.

MV=owner and moderator of bellgab and does one hell of a fine job.

Bodach

THANK YOU CALLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sick of being called a denier when thousands of CLIMATOLOGISTS take my position: agnostic.

Quote from: VoteQuimby on September 23, 2015, 12:37:58 AM
Yeah exactly. Like George Carlin said, the planet is fine, it's the people who are fucked.

Urban farmers and greenhouses pay tens of thousands of dollars for intricate complicated systems to raise the co2 levels of their grow rooms. If what this guy is saying about CO2 levels rising on a global level is true, all I can imagine happening is record outdoor marijuana crop production.

Also, isn't CO2 heavier than Oxygen? Why is it going up into the atmosphere? This is like the economic scams during the Bush Administration where bankers and money men ran off with hundreds of millions of dollars by talking down to the American Public like they're stupid.

Welp, this guest (admittedly, I stopped listening after I heard the words "carbon tax") is a scientist--NOT a social engineer.  The only option I heard him mention was carbon tax.  If that's the limit of his creativity, he's not worth a mention in regards to solution no matter what his science says.  His solution would further hurt the middle class, taking us deeper into a 2 class system.

How bout this (and yeah I know it will never happen because all of the nut jobs who want a carbon tax would never allow it to pass through Congress), we take every single patent on clean energy away from the oil companies that bought them out only to bury them and make them public domain for whoever wants to make some money on something besides oil? 

Put the oil companies out of business, and you might not need a carbon tax...but that's a pipe dream because too many stupid liberals feel smart using the "climate change denier" lie.

maren

Quote from: Bodach on September 23, 2015, 12:36:09 AM
I understand the dilemma, but the caller was presenting substance, that could have been debunked by the doctor's evidence.  The peer review of an analysis has no bearing on debunking the substance within; if the idea is already understood -- as the doctor claims.

I'm not an apologist for the guest, but I think he was trying to counter some of the facts presented by the caller.

Juan Cena

Quote from: 21st Century Man on September 23, 2015, 12:38:49 AM
She probably said they were comic book writers and well Art isn't Ian.  I know they are much more than that. I have the whole original run of Sandman and many of Moore's works and they really qualify as literature.

Gaiman and Ellis have written more traditional novels as well. Ever read Gaiman's Neverwhere or Ellis' Gun Machine?

All those 30,000 people, yeah, they're uninformed.

And one of them is grossly overweight.

HOLY FUCK.

Sean92008

I love Skype, the guest's breathing paradiddle is telling.  If he had a polygraph connected to him, he'd fail.

Oooh, personal attacks.

FUCKING ZEALOT.

BellBoy

Quote from: Barfly on September 23, 2015, 12:46:07 AM
Art needs to stop the Skype calls, its not worth the aggravation

I'm fairly certain that Skype is a major sponsor of the show. They certainly get plugged enough.

Skype! It's what's for breakfast!

Being overweight and smoking invalidates your opinion?

Del Griffith says Go Fuck Yourself.

ArJuna

Oh Lindzen has an "Ideology".   OMG, he's overweight and must be a moron.

THis Kevin dude just took a nosedive from the floor.

Bodach

The doctor is saying that ideology plays a role in taking a position in this.  Agreed.  And he's got his.  And his funding for the validation answer. 

He's pretty much just exposed his cult like attitude with the fat/smoker thing.  People in his cult have a certain lifestyle and look.  He disregards because of it.  He is a cultist.

I think something needs to be cleared up here.Climate "deniers" are being grouped with those that don't believe the "reasons" for the changes that are being experienced.
Weather patterns are changing, but not for the reasons we are being forced to swallow.

Barfly

Quote from: BellBoy on September 23, 2015, 12:52:27 AM
I'm fairly certain that Skype is a major sponsor of the show. They certainly get plugged enough.

Skype! It's what's for breakfast!
If Skype was indeed a sponsor it doesn't look good for Skype

Hells Mole

Glad to see I'm not the only one less than enchanted with tonight's guest.   :-\

Juan Cena

Quote from: maren on September 23, 2015, 12:39:17 AM
Neil Gaiman!  Yes! 

I've suggested a guest and included a link to his contact and received an acknowledgement.  But that was during her very first days of the gig, she may be much busier now.

Maybe I should try again, and mention Neil's got a new book out.

maren

Quote from: Johnny from PA on September 23, 2015, 12:51:32 AM
Welp, this guest (admittedly, I stopped listening after I heard the words "carbon tax") is a scientist--NOT a social engineer.  The only option I heard him mention was carbon tax.  If that's the limit of his creativity, he's not worth a mention in regards to solution no matter what his science says.  His solution would further hurt the middle class, taking us deeper into a 2 class system.

How bout this (and yeah I know it will never happen because all of the nut jobs who want a carbon tax would never allow it to pass through Congress), we take every single patent on clean energy away from the oil companies that bought them out only to bury them and make them public domain for whoever wants to make some money on something besides oil? 

Put the oil companies out of business, and you might not need a carbon tax...but that's a pipe dream because too many stupid liberals feel smart using the "climate change denier" lie.

Too many "stupid liberals".  Again, another small minded, broad brush stroke that says more about you, than about me, the stupid liberal.  Because yes!  I DO want a carbon tax, I LOVE being taxed!  That's why I work - to pay my hard earned money to the government!  And I LOVE BIG OIL!  You have me so pegged.  Guess I'm busted. 

WOTR

Quote from: VoteQuimby on September 23, 2015, 12:48:07 AM
WOTR did bring up the point that CO2 interacting with our oceans is destroying reefs due to pH changes in the water. The astronomical amount it would take to fuck with pH on that scale blows my mind. But I'm not discounting it because the science of it does make sense to me.

Outside of that, I have no idea how CO2 would screw up anything in nature.
It has been awhile- but I started paying attention a decade or two back when Randy Holmes Farley published some findings.  I don't know what happened to him- but a quick scan comes up with something that tells us that there is a problem.  In addition to damaging reefs (rely on calcium to build their skeletons) the CO2 (may) be responsible for increasing algae growth which chokes organisms...  Many people who see no problem with increased CO2 have pointed out that it helps their plants to grow.  It does the same in the ocean where it is not generally beneficial (ask anybody who has tried to keep a salt water set up...)

"When carbon dioxide (CO2) is absorbed by seawater, chemical reactions occur that reduce seawater pH, carbonate ion concentration, and saturation states of biologically important calcium carbonate minerals. These chemical reactions are termed "ocean acidification" or "OA" for short. Calcium carbonate minerals are the building blocks for the skeletons and shells of many marine organisms. In areas where most life now congregates in the ocean, the seawater is supersaturated with respect to calcium carbonate minerals. This means there are abundant building blocks for calcifying organisms to build their skeletons and shells. However, continued ocean acidification is causing many parts of the ocean to become undersaturated with these minerals, which is likely to affect the ability of some organisms to produce and maintain their shells.

Since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution, the pH of surface ocean waters has fallen by 0.1 pH units. Since the pH scale, like the Richter scale, is logarithmic, this change represents approximately a 30 percent increase in acidity. Future predictions indicate that the oceans will continue to absorb carbon dioxide and become even more acidic. Estimates of future carbon dioxide levels, based on business as usual emission scenarios, indicate that by the end of this century the surface waters of the ocean could be nearly 150 percent more acidic, resulting in a pH that the oceans haven’t experienced for more than 20 million years."

Like I said- I'ts been awhile since I paid much attnetion.  But I doubt that the ocean is becoming any more basic...

Barfly

One of the worst shows so far, this topic has been talked about so much its old and boring

Quote from: Juan Cena on September 23, 2015, 12:51:46 AM
Gaiman and Ellis have written more traditional novels as well. Ever read Gaiman's Neverwhere or Ellis' Gun Machine?

I have not read Neverwhere though I've read American Gods and Silverdream. Maybe one or two others.  I'm not really familiar with Ellis.  I'm interested though.

Did the caller just blame climate change on the Canadians (All I heard was "hockey stick") ?