• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20150922 - Dr. Kevin Trenberth - Climate Change - Live Show Chat Thread

Started by jazmunda, September 22, 2015, 04:40:07 PM

Art

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on September 23, 2015, 12:19:08 AM
No doubt. I just can't understand any mindset that precludes eating bacon or a nice steak or a hot dog. I could not live without meat and I mean that in all seriousness.

It's the mindset of self-control.   The man values the lives of other animals more than his own selfish cravings.   It's not difficult to understand. 

Undefeated athiest agrees completely with consensus science shill, SHOCKING.

maren

This caller is quoting some paper as though it's the undisputed word.  I don't think ANY paper, regardless of its stance, is 100% perfect.  People read one source and think they know all they need to know.

This has the stench of bullshit. I don't know and I don't care but this comes across as a major scam.

From the little I know, wouldn't the creation of CO2 on a global level simply stimulate plant life which would in turn compensate by producing more O2? What this guy is claiming about the effects of CO2 goes completely against everything I've learned about it and it's effect on plants.

Juan Cena

Quote from: Barfly on September 23, 2015, 12:19:18 AM
I often wonder why we listen to shows with subject matter we believe is nonsense, are we just a bunch of masochists?

Same reason we listen to the shows about racist ancient aliens/lost civilizations crap, I suppose.

Barfly

Quote from: Mild Bill on September 23, 2015, 12:27:03 AM
It is more fun and the forum somehow more interesting.
The forum gets a bit more crazy with the RCH show, maybe we are all drunk or tired by then

coaster

Yeah, its pretty funny when a caller thinks he is a hotshot because he is reading someone else's work. Way to go, doofus.

Donald Noory

Quote from: maren on September 23, 2015, 12:27:43 AM
This caller is quoting some paper as though it's the undisputed word.  I don't think ANY paper, regardless of its stance, is 100% perfect.  People read one source and think they know all they need to know.

His non-peer reviewed paper is about as legit as Melba Ketchup's non-peer reviewed bigfoot research.

starrmtn001

Decent count tonight!

Rocky4228

Quote from: Mild Bill on September 23, 2015, 12:27:03 AM
It is more fun and the forum somehow more interesting.
Sad to say, I've never made it through the first segment of RCH.

Barfly

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on September 23, 2015, 12:27:07 AM
I'm enjoying the whole nighttime lineup, especially now that Bateman's slot is on Fridays before Art. But yes, if you'd have asked me 6 months ago if I ever thought I could enjoy a show hosted by Hoagland, I'd have called you crazy. But here we are.
Exactly 

Wisecracker

Quote from: Barfly on September 23, 2015, 12:28:40 AM
The forum gets a bit more crazy with the RCH show, maybe we are all drunk or tired by then
i'mm drunk of bein' tired

Quote from: maren on September 23, 2015, 12:27:43 AM

QuoteWhen a theory is shown to be incorrect or a publication in error, it is all too easy to think that the scientist who came up with this theory is a liar or a dishonest fraudster intent on misleading the public for personal gain. Or as Richard Smith, former editor of the British Medical Journal, puts it:

Most scientific studies are wrong, and they are wrong because scientists are interested in funding and careers rather than truth.

Smith goes on to talk about this in the context of a talk given by the "brilliant" and "cuddly" John Ioannidis, professor of medicine at Stanford (while Smith assures us that he would never describe a woman as cuddly, even if she were). Ioannidis has published a report in PLOS Medicine entitled "Why most published research findings are false". Ioannidis' theory is that most scientific studies are wrong as a result of bias and random error, based on "simulations that show for most study designs and settings, it is more likely for a research claim to be false than true".

As a research scientist, albeit in biophysics rather than medicine, it seems to me that Ioannidis' claim describes scientific business as usual. That most scientific studies are ultimately wrong is normal for science.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/occams-corner/2013/sep/17/scientific-studies-wrong

Okay I gotta take care of a few things now so I don't miss any of Richard's open lines. See all you braapers in Richard's thread in a half hour!

Juan Cena

Quote from: Barfly on September 23, 2015, 12:26:36 AM
Redacted doesn't love us anymore, i miss her :-[

I sent her an e-mail requesting Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, and Warren Ellis as guests. She never responded back.  :(

Quote from: Rat-eating Hater on September 23, 2015, 12:26:05 AM
The Truth, as bequeathed to us mortals by the Legitimate Scientists of  Anthropogenic Global Warming. They are keepers of the flame, smiting the heretics and Deniers and the rest of us who think they are agenda driven frauds whose goals are political and financial.
;)

starrmtn001

Quote from: Sandra Kristen on September 23, 2015, 12:30:37 AM
Okay I gotta take care of a few things now so I don't miss any of Richard's open lines. See all you braapers in Richard's thread in a half hour!
Ok, Braap ya later. ;)

Sean92008

I unlistened for something like an hour. 

Glad I took care of anything other than listening.  I've seen enough of the denier science and understand enough about the political and financial aspects of the topic to know better than to listen to an opposing view of a guy more brain-smart than I. 

I also enjoyed the chocolate chips poured onto peanut butter on bread and put into the toaster.

Damn, I'm going to be eating fried peanut butter & banana sammiches soon.

Barfly

Underwire bras? that was interesting but not sure WTF it has to do with the format of the news show

GravitySucks

Quote from: Sean92008 on September 23, 2015, 12:31:49 AM
I unlistened for something like an hour. 

Glad I took care of anything other than listening.  I've seen enough of the denier science and understand enough about the political and financial aspects of the topic to know better than to listen to an opposing view of a guy more brain-smart than I. 

I also enjoyed the chocolate chips poured onto peanut butter on bread and put into the toaster.

Damn, I'm going to be eating fried peanut butter & banana sammiches soon.
And bacon

Donald Noory

Quote from: Juan Cena on September 23, 2015, 12:31:21 AM
I sent her an e-mail requesting Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, and Warren Ellis as guests. She never responded back.  :(

The Christian climate change deniers wouldn't take too kindly to Alan Moore's accounts of summoning up a non-existent snake god from ancient times.

Bodach

Quote from: chefist on September 23, 2015, 12:32:25 AM
Addiction ads?...what's that say about us as an audience :-\?
hahaha was just thinking that

wonder how long until fleshlight advertisement

Quote from: norland2424 on September 23, 2015, 12:20:54 AM
or self hatred  ;D

=)  The Rush Limbaugh show is that way ------>

You'll find all kinds of masochistic self-hating political shows there too. =D

Or maybe you prefer the left side of things, in which case, you can
just turn on the news.

Barfly

Quote from: Juan Cena on September 23, 2015, 12:31:21 AM
She hates us j/k

ArJuna

Quote from: VoteQuimby on September 23, 2015, 12:28:23 AM
This has the stench of bullshit. I don't know and I don't care but this comes across as a major scam.

From the little I know, wouldn't the creation of CO2 on a global level simply stimulate plant life which would in turn compensate by producing more O2? What this guy is claiming about the effects of CO2 goes completely against everything I've learned about it and it's effect on plants.

Agreed. I was taught the same back when schools actually taught science that wasn't based on PC textbooks. I also learned that a bloom of life in the ocean could create enormous peaks in CO2 and that the Earth was a self-correcting system like you said.