• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20150922 - Dr. Kevin Trenberth - Climate Change - Live Show Chat Thread

Started by jazmunda, September 22, 2015, 04:40:07 PM

TigerLily

Quote from: Sandra Kristen on September 23, 2015, 12:30:37 AM
Okay I gotta take care of a few things now so I don't miss any of Richard's open lines. See all you braapers in Richard's thread in a half hour!
See ya on the braapside, Sis

maren

Quote from: Bodach on September 23, 2015, 12:26:40 AM
The good doctor is just saying "no no no no" -- won't debate the substance of the science -- just says it's not peer reviewed. 

This goes to show the cult like behavior.

Most credible, legitimate theories -- again, on both sides of an issue -- are peer reviewed.  That's cult behavior?  Huh?   I'm guessing if the situation were leaning the other way, the guest was not a climate change believer and the caller was reading from a paper that was not peer reviewed, you wouldn't consider the guest's critique of it not being peer reviewed indicative of cult behavior  But I could be wrong.  ;)

Quote from: maren on September 23, 2015, 12:27:43 AM
This caller is quoting some paper as though it's the undisputed word.  I don't think ANY paper, regardless of its stance, is 100% perfect.  People read one source and think they know all they need to know.
Bingo - a.k.a. surface research.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: Art Crow on September 23, 2015, 12:27:14 AM
It's the mindset of self-control.   The man values the lives of other animals more than his own selfish cravings.   It's not difficult to understand.

Yes, but it's hard to care about it. I evolved as an omnivore with a taste for meat. I am what I am according to nature, just like a bear is what a bear is. Bears will eat you if they want. I'm just more conscientious in that I don't believe in taking 20-40 minutes to kill something like they do. You are here to fornicate and eat living things. That is the entire point of your existence. There is nothing else. Might as well enjoy a few strips of bacon every now and again.

Quote from: Donald Noory on September 23, 2015, 12:33:13 AM
The Christian climate change deniers wouldn't take too kindly to Alan Moore's accounts of summoning up a non-existent snake god from ancient times.

Oh I dunno, that would be a cool show in line with Art's forum over the years...unlike tonight's show which is more in line with Alex Jones's forum.

norland2424

Quote from: Johnny from PA on September 23, 2015, 12:33:28 AM
=)  The Rush Limbaugh show is that way ------>

You'll find all kinds of masochistic self-hating political shows there too. =D

Or maybe you prefer the left side of things, in which case, you can
just turn on the news.

the only radio shows i listen to are Arts and RCH shows, so ill pass on rush and the news  ;D

Bodach

Quote from: maren on September 23, 2015, 12:34:22 AM
Most credible, legitimate theories -- again, on both sides of an issue -- are peer reviewed.  That's cult behavior?  Huh?   I'm guessing if the situation were leaning the other way, the guest was not a climate change believer and the caller was reading from a paper that was not peer reviewed, you wouldn't consider the guest's critique of it not being peer reviewed indicative of cult behavior  But I could be wrong.  ;)
I understand the dilemma, but the caller was presenting substance, that could have been debunked by the doctor's evidence.  The peer review of an analysis has no bearing on debunking the substance within; if the idea is already understood -- as the doctor claims.

Noorynoid

Quote from: Barfly on September 23, 2015, 12:28:40 AM
The forum gets a bit more crazy with the RCH show, maybe we are all drunk or tired by then

I believe it has to do with substance intoxication, the higher the level of intoxication seems to have a direct correlation with the lack of intelligent communication skills.

Barfly

Quote from: norland2424 on September 23, 2015, 12:35:38 AM
the only radio shows i listen to are Arts and RCH shows, so ill pass on rush and the news  ;D
Same here, but i also listen to MV when he podcasts, and sometimes the No Agenda show

Quote from: Sandra Kristen on September 23, 2015, 12:30:37 AM
Okay I gotta take care of a few things now so I don't miss any of Richard's open lines. See all you braapers in Richard's thread in a half hour!

Braaps 'till Club 19.5

Quote from: ArJuna on September 23, 2015, 12:33:55 AM
Agreed. I was taught the same back when schools actually taught science that wasn't based on PC textbooks. I also learned that a bloom of life in the ocean could create enormous peaks in CO2 and that the Earth was a self-correcting system like you said.

Yeah exactly. Like George Carlin said, the planet is fine, it's the people who are fucked.

Urban farmers and greenhouses pay tens of thousands of dollars for intricate complicated systems to raise the co2 levels of their grow rooms. If what this guy is saying about CO2 levels rising on a global level is true, all I can imagine happening is record outdoor marijuana crop production.

Also, isn't CO2 heavier than Oxygen? Why is it going up into the atmosphere? This is like the economic scams during the Bush Administration where bankers and money men ran off with hundreds of millions of dollars by talking down to the American Public like they're stupid.

Noorynoid

Quote from: norland2424 on September 23, 2015, 12:35:38 AM

I'm finding the Dr J radio show on Tuesday and Thursdays very interesting but what the hell do I know?

Quote from: Juan Cena on September 23, 2015, 12:31:21 AM
I sent her an e-mail requesting Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, and Warren Ellis as guests. She never responded back.  :(

She probably said they were comic book writers and well Art isn't Ian.  I know they are much more than that. I have the whole original run of Sandman and many of Moore's works and they really qualify as literature.

WOTR

Quote from: VoteQuimby on September 23, 2015, 12:28:23 AM
This has the stench of bullshit. I don't know and I don't care but this comes across as a major scam.

From the little I know, wouldn't the creation of CO2 on a global level simply stimulate plant life which would in turn compensate by producing more O2? What this guy is claiming about the effects of CO2 goes completely against everything I've learned about it and it's effect on plants.
I'm one of those people who really does not care about climate change as such (at least the debate of what is responsible.)  However, the amount of CO2 and pollutants that we pump out is starting to kill the reefs and in turn the oceans by changing the PH and water. 

It is hard (impossible?) to get people to care about a reef a million miles away- but they are important.  So, if "climate change" gets people to pay attention to what they put into the atmosphere, then fine.

maren

Quote from: Juan Cena on September 23, 2015, 12:31:21 AM
I sent her an e-mail requesting Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, and Warren Ellis as guests. She never responded back.  :(

Neil Gaiman!  Yes! 

I've suggested a guest and included a link to his contact and received an acknowledgement.  But that was during her very first days of the gig, she may be much busier now.

Bodach

I love Art's honesty.  I always will.  Thank you for that Art.

ArJuna

Quote from: maren on September 23, 2015, 12:34:22 AM

I do not like consensus science in the form we have.  Very few control the keys to peer reviews and much good science has been lost as a result.  This maybe hard for some to believe, but I've seen enough to stand firm on this.

Noorynoid

Quote from: Barfly on September 23, 2015, 12:37:20 AM
Same here, but i also listen to MV when he podcasts, and sometimes the No Agenda show

Dvorak keeps sending me emails asking for money.

GravitySucks

So why don't we eliminate soda pops and beer?  Look at all that CO2

Juan Cena

Quote from: Donald Noory on September 23, 2015, 12:33:13 AM
The Christian climate change deniers wouldn't take too kindly to Alan Moore's accounts of summoning up a non-existent snake god from ancient times.

Well, Art is still looking for a practitioner of the dark arts to interview, isn't he?  :D

I would think Art would find more in common with Moore's battles with the corporations that own the properties he worked on like Watchmen and V for Vendetta.

Quote from: WOTR on September 23, 2015, 12:39:17 AM
I'm one of those people who really does not care about climate change as such (at least the debate of what is responsible.)  However, the amount of CO2 and pollutants that we pump out is starting to kill the reefs and in turn the oceans by changing the PH and water. 

It is hard (impossible?) to get people to care about a reef a million miles away- but they are important.  So, if "climate change" gets people to pay attention to what they put into the atmosphere, then fine.

Hmm... that is very interesting. Hmm...

Bodach

Ocean levels are getting higher.

Agreed.

Leaving an ice age does that, Art :)  We get it :D

Barfly

Quote from: Noorynoid on September 23, 2015, 12:40:37 AM
Dvorak keeps sending me emails asking for money.
I just download the podcast and skip through the money thing

Barfly

Quote from: Bodach on September 23, 2015, 12:41:37 AM
Ocean levels are getting higher.

Agreed.

Leaving an ice age does that, Art :)  We get it :D
i haven't seen it where i live yet