• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

George Knapp

Started by ArtBellFan, April 27, 2008, 09:05:01 AM

WOTR

Quote from: zeebo on May 31, 2015, 11:38:54 AM
Fair point.  The problem for me seems to be having basically no idea where anything I consume comes from.  In our industrialized world, we're often detached from the source of our food and other products.  I'm sure much info is not disclosed to the public.  And some of the ecological groups seem to have political agendas which makes them not necessarily reliable either. 

My point is that even with good intentions it's hard to know how to make informed choices.  However I shall redouble my efforts to do so.  Gotta do what I can for my fellow critters.

It really is a problem with not knowing where food comes from. Some specialty stores will promise that you are eating "ethically raised" food, but you really have to trust that they have their own inspectors or that they are honest- and you pay a premium even not really knowing the truth.

It is also unfair of me to say that people should watch or listen to these programs.  As you pointed out- it can just be an exercise in frustration when you feel like you cannot really do anything concrete to prevent the abuse.  Also, people have different levels of tolerance to such stories. 

Lord Grantham

I think you folks are doing yourselves a real disservice by wimping out. It was a good show. Everything was presented straight forward and unsensationalized. There was some interesting stuff about food stock living conditions and human health, the efforts of "big agriculture" to hide what they're doing through some really shitty legislation, and efforts to protect endangered species.

albrecht

Quote from: Lord Grantham on May 31, 2015, 02:42:17 PM
I think you folks are doing yourselves a real disservice by wimping out. It was a good show. Everything was presented straight forward and unsensationalized. There was some interesting stuff about food stock living conditions and human health, the efforts of "big agriculture" to hide what they're doing through some really shitty legislation, and efforts to protect endangered species.
It is a good show thus far. Though it would be interesting to have the 'other side's lobbyist on also and address whatever price impact enacting all the ideas of the guests suggest would be. I think besides the shock value more arguments should be made on the safety-side of the animal issues. Not pressing for ridiculous things like giving them legal right as people or telling people to all become vegans (aint going to happen.) But showing how bad animal husbandry and farming practices impacts our health, or potentially does. (Spread of flus, economic costs of culls, polluting our waters, BSE, pharmaceuticals/antibiotics in food, etc.) And they also need to address over-fishing of certain species and show the cost, eventually, to humans by bad fishing practices, illegal fishing, etc. I think we also should strengthen anti-poaching laws .

Interestingly I've noticed that the people who are most active in the animal right groups tend to be more left-of-center and also be supportive of immigration, amnesty, 'human rights' of illegals, etc- even though those immigrants often bring their bad treatment and attitude towards animals with them. Here we have precious illegals who, for example, run cock-fighting rings and also steal peoples pet dog for use in "training" their pitbulls for dog fights (which really makes me mad because some of the dogs stolen are not "fighting" breeds and so are doomed to die a horrible death.) And look at the border and areas where the illegals travel or live and you'll see trashed out places and environmental damage (especially to fragile deserts and when they cut fences.) Even if they DON'T move here people, especially the Chinese and some other Asians, cause trouble for animals. People poach even here to fulfill orders for the quack Chinese traditional medicine. And it is worse over in Africa for seriously threatened species.

Knapp does a great show.

albrecht

If animals, especially monkey-types, have human rights then why can't they be prosecuted for sexual assault?
http://www.theolivepress.es/spain-news/2015/05/30/british-tourist-claims-gibraltars-apes-sexually-assaulted-her/

NoMoreNoory

Quote from: 136 or 142 on May 27, 2015, 05:36:10 PM
This is Knapp's entire commentary on Jade Helm from the program:

I'll bet my Coast e-mail had 50 messages or more waiting for me here about Jade Helm and apparently a lot of folks have been worked up into a real tizzy about this, and I understand why. I see the handywork of those who work in the fear industry, the ones who seemingly manufacture some new phony crisis every couple of months and get everyone worked up into a lather pulling their hair out ready to head for the hills or seal themselves in the fall out bunker and then nothing happens. So, the masters of fear will start up something new. Some new terrible wave of fear coming our way, beware, baton down the hatches, stock up the pantry, lock and load, doom and darkness, woe is us.

I didn't hear this, 136, so thanks for posting. It's great, and I applaud it to the rafters. And, oh, what a contrast to Noory. Can you imagine him talking off the cuff for this long, this cogently?
It also occurred to me that Knapp has to have Noory in mind among the fear mongers. He's a serial offender. Iran-Israel, North Korea, 2012, SARS, Ebola, bird flu and now Jade Helm: he's milked all of them to the limit while pushing emergency food stocks and the rest.

You should post this on the GNS thread and email it to Noory as well.

GK Rules, GN Sucks

Quote from: NoMoreNoory on May 31, 2015, 08:54:20 PM
And, oh, what a contrast to Noory. Can you imagine him talking off the cuff for this long, this cogently?

The only times he's come close was discussing the pizza roll incident and the moustache trimmer.

NoMoreNoory

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on May 31, 2015, 09:03:53 PM
The only times he's come close was discussing the pizza roll incident and the moustache trimmer.

Yes, except that was Noory talking about his favourite subject: himself. He's recounting something that happened to himself at great length.
What he's not capable of doing it is taking a subject, dissecting it and drawing a firm conclusion, while acknowledging that it's an opinion, as Knapp does here. Look at his 'here's what's happaneen' segment. Story after unnecessary story, and he has absolutely no insight to offer beyond 'Just a strange story, there' and the like.

Apologies for dragging debate about The Idiot onto Knapp's thread.

Nick el Ass

Poor Knapp gets stuck with a stinker tonight.

zeebo

Ok so tonite's show lineup sounds kinda iffy, but I'm gonna give it a go anyway, just for kicks, and for the Knapp factor.

NoMoreNoory

It does sound kooky, but I'll give it a whirl. But I think I'll be recording and listening tomorrow.

Heather Wade

Given a silly topic, Knapp still does a bang up intro, and makes this interesting.

nextgen.fm

Quote from: (Redacted) on May 31, 2015, 11:10:01 PM
Given a silly topic, Knapp still does a bang up intro, and makes this interesting.

I wish Nootie would ham it up sometimes, it's radio for lord sake, he just turns right into news man instantly

Alright, sorry to abandon ship.  I just downloaded the old game Dragon Age which is going to require my full concentration.

zeebo

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on May 31, 2015, 11:27:03 PM
Alright, sorry to abandon ship.  I just downloaded the old game Dragon Age which is going to require my full concentration.

I can't be distracted with such fantasy stuff, I'm busy learning about faerie food.

Guest: "If you eat fairy food, you're trapped in fairy land." 

No, just no.  Tuning out for a bit, maybe 2nd half will be better.

Knapp playing a ZZ Top cut for a bumper. Its weird.  Billy Gibbons is supposedly a buddy of Jorch's but Jorch never plays ZZ Top on his bumpers.  What a friend!  Maybe Jorch would play Billy if he would cut a new version of Put Your Head On My Shoulder.  Or maybe a new blues song called I Got The George Noory Blues.

Quote from: Humilia Lepus Foramen on May 31, 2015, 11:57:47 PM
Guest: "If you eat fairy food, you're trapped in fairy land." 

No, just no.  Tuning out for a bit, maybe 2nd half will be better.

Yeah that's an old trope.

So what does bigfoot drink?

zeebo

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 01, 2015, 12:05:09 AM
Knapp playing a ZZ Top cut for a bumper. ...

Great pick too - "TV Dinners", good one Knapp.

zeebo

Dude's talking about "alien ointment" being a kind of food you eat through your skin.  Alien Ointment:  You're doing it wrong.

ItsOver

Quote from: Humilia Lepus Foramen on May 31, 2015, 11:57:47 PM
Guest: "If you eat fairy food, you're trapped in fairy land."...

This is just so wrong.  Poor Knappy. 

Quote from: ItsOver on June 01, 2015, 12:25:00 AM
This is just so wrong.  Poor Knappy.

I think the full thing is you forget your identity and then end up spending your life in (happiness) in fairy land. There were some movies from the 50s with this plot.

AvDaBr

AAA Bill just called in without proclaiming that he is indeed an AAA.

AvDaBr

Followed shortly thereafter by Alabama Annie.

Not Annie from Alabama yet again. 

Somebody from here needs to start calling in especially on nights Noory is not on.

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 01, 2015, 12:05:09 AM
Knapp playing a ZZ Top cut for a bumper. Its weird.  Billy Gibbons is supposedly a buddy of Jorch's but Jorch never plays ZZ Top on his bumpers.  What a friend!  Maybe Jorch would play Billy if he would cut a new version of Put Your Head On My Shoulder.  Or maybe a new blues song called I Got The George Noory Blues.

Simple solution: if Art plays ZZ Top, then suddenly they'll be Jorch's bestest friends ever and he'll play them forever.

Poor Knapp. I can't imagine saying his name and faerie land in one breath. I didn't listen, but did they at least cover the possibility that faerie abductions could be something entirely else? Jacques Vallee is investigating old folklore stories for hints that might tie them to modern ufo sightings and abductions.

Nick el Ass

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 01, 2015, 02:59:30 AM
Somebody from here needs to start calling in especially on nights Noory is not on.

I have the Skype number, but would rather make my first call to Art. If I had to talk with Tommy, or whoever screened call I wouldn't be able to contain myself.

NoMoreNoory

I may be in a minority of one, here, but - against expectations - I enjoyed the show. As usual, whoever writes the summaries on the C2C app/website did a great job of giving entirely the wrong impression of the show. It sounded like the Sasquatch Cook Book, but was, I thought an interesting discussion of the lore and legend surrounding food transactions. And, yes, Vallee was mentioned. The point about the fairy food - and Cutchin was quick to point out that fairies have a longer and darker history than anodyne Disney princesses with wings - is that it is the transaction, the trick, to pull you in. Aliens were covered, also other echoes of this 'transaction', like Trick Or Treat and The Day Of The Dead. Lots more came to mind, too. Good stuff, which would have been dross in Noory's hands. Like with Paulides, the stories were told, but no-one pushed for definite answers, and no-one asked anyone what their gut told them. The only time Paulides has sucked was when Noory got his hands on him.
Also Stricklands tales of subterranean reptiles: weird and wonderful whatever is or isn't going on, not destroyed by asinine questions.
Amazing how interesting most subjects can be in the hands of a competent, intelligent host.

Quote from: zeebo on May 31, 2015, 11:52:50 PM
I can't be distracted with such fantasy stuff, I'm busy learning about faerie food.

;D

Quote from: NoMoreNoory on June 01, 2015, 11:36:41 AM
I may be in a minority of one, here, but - against expectations - I enjoyed the show. As usual, whoever writes the summaries on the C2C app/website did a great job of giving entirely the wrong impression of the show. It sounded like the Sasquatch Cook Book, but was, I thought an interesting discussion of the lore and legend surrounding food transactions. And, yes, Vallee was mentioned. The point about the fairy food - and Cutchin was quick to point out that fairies have a longer and darker history than anodyne Disney princesses with wings - is that it is the transaction, the trick, to pull you in. Aliens were covered, also other echoes of this 'transaction', like Trick Or Treat and The Day Of The Dead. Lots more came to mind, too. Good stuff, which would have been dross in Noory's hands. Like with Paulides, the stories were told, but no-one pushed for definite answers, and no-one asked anyone what their gut told them. The only time Paulides has sucked was when Noory got his hands on him.
Also Stricklands tales of subterranean reptiles: weird and wonderful whatever is or isn't going on, not destroyed by asinine questions.
Amazing how interesting most subjects can be in the hands of a competent, intelligent host.

It sounded like an intelligent guest.  I just wanted to play my game.  I think you're right about the peculiar show introductory write-up.