George Knapp

Started by ArtBellFan, April 27, 2008, 09:05:01 AM

ShayP

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 01, 2017, 02:24:23 AM
Yep. I think his probation is over too.
I wonder what he's up too.  ;D

yumyumtree

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 01, 2017, 02:20:40 AM
That article had it. I think it was like 6 months but he got credit for time served before trial. $1500 restitution, court ordered mental health counseling and 3 years probation. Once the trial was ove I think he only had to serve a week or so.

I'm wondering about the brother who ended up paying for his car.

Chris McCand less, the Into the Wild guy, was mentally ill. I read the book and saw the movie and have also known guys like McCandless. His biggest problem, as I recall, besides starvation, was that he couldn't walk back out because a stream  that was easily cross able when he went in had become a raging river from snowmelt in the meantime.

ShayP

I've hit the wall and it's time for slumber.  I just want to say good night/morning to all the peeps.  Take care.  :)

GravitySucks

Nite Shay

BTW TL - the one book he stole that he couldn't finish was Ulysses.

GravitySucks

Quote from: yumyumtree on May 01, 2017, 02:27:52 AM

Chris McCand less, the Into the Wild guy, was mentally ill. I read the book and saw the movie and have also known guys like McCandless. His biggest problem, as I recall, besides starvation, was that he couldn't walk back out because a stream  that was easily cross able when he went in had become a raging river from snowmelt in the meantime.

I had never heard of Into the Wild. Thanks for that.

https://www.cliffsnotes.com/literature/i/into-the-wild/book-summary

zeebo

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 01, 2017, 02:51:43 AM
I had never heard of Into the Wild. Thanks for that.

Not sure if you're aware but same author wrote Into Thin Air about ill-fated events on Everest, and was quite good. 

zeebo

Glad I tuned in tonite, especially for the second half.  Well done as usual, Mr. Knapp.  Interesting story that raises some thought-provoking, if morally ambiguous questions.

Personally I'd have given up after two days without a nice hot cappuccino with proper foam and cinnamon sprinkles.  Nite all.

Juan

I thought I wanted to be a hermit, but now that sounds like a lot of trouble, too.

GravitySucks

I spent 5 winters in Lake Placid in the 70's. I got to know this guy's family quite well. He had been dead about 7 years at the time, but I never tired of the stories. Used to have a book about him. A hermit that did have contact with society, and even went to outdoors shows as an oddity.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noah_John_Rondeau

TigerLily

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 01, 2017, 02:40:07 AM
Nite Shay

BTW TL - the one book he stole that he couldn't finish was Ulysses.

You know it's a tough book when you are all alone for 27 years and still can't bring yourself around to try to finish it

WOTR

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 01, 2017, 02:08:54 AM
I think I read he ended up about 30 miles from where he grew up but didn't really know where he was. Probably just saw landscape, terrain and woods that looked kind of familiar.

I bet he stole a lot of bug spray. I used to backpack by myself in Vermont. The deer flies and mosquitoes are worse at times than I get in Texas.
Ever been to Northern Canada?  Land of muskeg (mile after mile of standing water.)

yumyumtree

Quote from: zeebo on May 01, 2017, 03:00:06 AM
Not sure if you're aware but same author wrote Into Thin Air about ill-fated events on Everest, and was quite good.

Yes, Into Thin Air was also good. I want to read Missoula for obvious reasons, too.

Dyna-X

Quote from: TigerLily on May 01, 2017, 10:20:34 AM
You know it's a tough book when you are all alone for 27 years and still can't bring yourself around to try to finish it
He shouldn't feel bad though, it just proves he's more normal than not:
http://time.com/money/4369192/ulysses-james-joyce-unread-book/

I think its came up under the Books that kicked your ass thread!

albrecht

Quote from: yumyumtree on May 01, 2017, 02:27:52 AM

Also there was some speculation that he suffered from "rabbit starvation" that you can't survive eating certain game, especially rabbits, and you get "rabbit starvation." The meat is too lean. One reason Eskimos like whale, and other, blubber. Also, never eat bear (or some other Arctic animals, like seal) livers. Too much vitamin A and can kill you. But it could just have been the calories expended to get his food was more than the calories gained from it.

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 01, 2017, 10:12:50 AM
I spent 5 winters in Lake Placid in the 70's. I got to know this guy's family quite well. He had been dead about 7 years at the time, but I never tired of the stories. Used to have a book about him. A hermit that did have contact with society, and even went to outdoors shows as an oddity.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noah_John_Rondeau
Reminds me a bit of this guy. I think PBS, or some channel of the like, did some shows on him "Alone in the Wilderness" etc. NPS service still maintains his cabin.
http://hermitary.com/articles/proenneke.html

Nebraska888

Quote from: zeebo on May 01, 2017, 03:15:37 AM
Glad I tuned in tonite, especially for the second half.  Well done as usual, Mr. Knapp.  Interesting story that raises some thought-provoking, if morally ambiguous questions.

Personally I'd have given up after two days without a nice hot cappuccino with proper foam and cinnamon sprinkles.  Nite all.

Hey, Zee!  I listened..... but was away from home  so didn't get on our site.  Great program!  Wish I could have engaged in the conversation

Nebraska888

Quote from: zeebo on May 01, 2017, 01:14:37 AM
Hope Neb is enjoying the show, with a nice Irish whiskey nearby.

Oh, yes, Zee....I WAS PARTYING with my Irish friend!

Thanks for thinking of me!

TigerLily

Quote from: Dyna-X Ⓤ on May 01, 2017, 04:35:04 PM
He shouldn't feel bad though, it just proves he's more normal than not:
http://time.com/money/4369192/ulysses-james-joyce-unread-book/

I think its came up under the Books that kicked your ass thread!

It did. I was one of the people posting about it

zeebo

Quote from: albrecht on May 01, 2017, 08:35:54 PM
Reminds me a bit of this guy. I think PBS, or some channel of the like, did some shows on him "Alone in the Wilderness" etc. NPS service still maintains his cabin.
http://hermitary.com/articles/proenneke.html

Yeah I've seen that show on the guy.  Now he's a real survival expert - did not need to pilfer snacks to get by.  Guy like built all his tools, that he'd then use to build other stuff!  I think the only reason he left was the winters were getting to be too much work for him. 

zeebo

Quote from: albrecht on May 01, 2017, 08:32:06 PM
Also there was some speculation that he suffered from "rabbit starvation" that you can't survive eating certain game, especially rabbits, and you get "rabbit starvation." The meat is too lean. One reason Eskimos like whale, and other, blubber. Also, never eat bear (or some other Arctic animals, like seal) livers. Too much vitamin A and can kill you. But it could just have been the calories expended to get his food was more than the calories gained from it.

I think in the movie they implied it might have also been misidentifying some berries.  Not sure if true, but I did hear somewhere that you're much more likely to get poisoned by plants than by animals in the wild.  Better to take a chance on anything that runs, flies, or swims - than eat some mystery fruit.

zeebo

Quote from: Nebraska888 on May 02, 2017, 08:37:06 PM
Oh, yes, Zee....I WAS PARTYING with my Irish friend!

Glad you enjoyed the show in the style it deserved.   8)

WOTR

What gives?  Is it a supersuck Sunday?

***It looks like the answer is "yes"  Too bad, the first guest could be interesting if it were a "Knapp knight."  The second guest will be "joan of angles" who will share her experiences working with angelic beings.  At least Jorch will be in his comfort zone.

Morgus

Quote from: WOTR on May 07, 2017, 11:52:16 PM
What gives?  Is it a supersuck Sunday?
Yep first Sun of the month.
Knapp gets the last 2 Sundays of each month.

albrecht

So out of curiosity and because an interesting tale, if all true, I read "The Stranger in the Woods." About the Hermit that was in some papers and a Knapp guest wrote a book on him and was able to interview him. Fairly interesting, I chuckled a these lines:
page 103: "He listened to a lot of Rush Limbaugh. "I didn't say I liked him. I said I listened to him." Knight's own politics were "conservative but not Republican." He added, perhaps unnecessarily, "I'm kind of an isolationist.""

page 111: "Sometimes I'd stay up late, he said, "and listen to some crazy AM talk-radio show, and hike to a high clearing before dawn and watch the ground fog collect in the valley." [emphasis mine]  ;)

page 166: "And what about a text message? Isn't that just using a telephone as a telegraph? We're going backwards." When he hears how songs are now shared and downloaded, Knight is equally unimpressed. "You're using your computers, your thousand dollar machines, to listen to the radio? Society is taking a rather strange turn." He says he'll stick with vinyl records.

ItsOver

I hate to barge in on the usual "I love Trump" banter but here's what's upcoming for Good George.  Finally, some UFO talk for the first part and stuff for Beatles lovers in the second.

UFO Manipulation/ Sgt. Pepper's Influence
Sunday - May 21, 2017
Hosted by George Knapp
Guest(s): Jeremy Corbell, Bruce Spizer
First Half: Joining George Knapp, UFO researcher Jermey Corbell will discuss his speech at the Contact in the Desert UFO expo:"UFOs: A Clockwork Orange" - suggesting that the UFO phenomenon itself seems to be a display - controlled by a mechanical and artificial intelligence.

Second Half: "Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band" is the most famous album by the most famous band in the history of rock ’n’ roll. It became the soundtrack for the Summer of Love. Beatles expert Bruce Spizer talks about how the album reshaped the history of popular music with progressive sounds and a mind-blowing experience shared by millions.

Nebraska888

Quote from: ItsOver on May 19, 2017, 09:17:41 AM
I hate to barge in on the usual "I love Trump" banter but here's what's upcoming for Good George.  Finally, some UFO talk for the first part and stuff for Beatles lovers in the second.

UFO Manipulation/ Sgt. Pepper's Influence
Sunday - May 21, 2017
Hosted by George Knapp
Guest(s): Jeremy Corbell, Bruce Spizer
First Half: Joining George Knapp, UFO researcher Jermey Corbell will discuss his speech at the Contact in the Desert UFO expo:"UFOs: A Clockwork Orange" - suggesting that the UFO phenomenon itself seems to be a display - controlled by a mechanical and artificial intelligence.

Second Half: "Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band" is the most famous album by the most famous band in the history of rock ’n’ roll. It became the soundtrack for the Summer of Love. Beatles expert Bruce Spizer talks about how the album reshaped the history of popular music with progressive sounds and a mind-blowing experience shared by millions.

Can't Wait! 

Nebraska888

Quote from: albrecht on May 14, 2017, 07:01:37 PM
So out of curiosity and because an interesting tale, if all true, I read "The Stranger in the Woods." About the Hermit that was in some papers and a Knapp guest wrote a book on him and was able to interview him. Fairly interesting, I chuckled a these lines:
page 103: "He listened to a lot of Rush Limbaugh. "I didn't say I liked him. I said I listened to him." Knight's own politics were "conservative but not Republican." He added, perhaps unnecessarily, "I'm kind of an isolationist.""

page 111: "Sometimes I'd stay up late, he said, "and listen to some crazy AM talk-radio show, and hike to a high clearing before dawn and watch the ground fog collect in the valley." [emphasis mine]  ;)

page 166: "And what about a text message? Isn't that just using a telephone as a telegraph? We're going backwards." When he hears how songs are now shared and downloaded, Knight is equally unimpressed. "You're using your computers, your thousand dollar machines, to listen to the radio? Society is taking a rather strange turn." He says he'll stick with vinyl records.

Just received the book from Amazon.....couldn't resist ordering it.  Quite a story.

ItsOver

Quote from: Nebraska888 on May 21, 2017, 03:18:29 PM

Can't Wait!
I'm going to see if I can at least do Knapp for the first half.

Nebraska888

Quote from: ItsOver on May 21, 2017, 03:52:30 PM
I'm going to see if I can at least do Knapp for the first half.

Agreed....just not that into the Beatles.

Designx

Quote from: Nebraska888 on May 21, 2017, 09:26:50 PM
Agreed....just not that into the Beatles.

Agreed - I'm sick of his Beatles fascination. It's as if the man never left the 60's.