• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Stop overdoing it!

Started by FightTheFuture, August 14, 2014, 08:47:39 AM

I`ve been saying this for years. Now some good research. Unless you are a worldclass athlete or warrior,  you should only exercise hard for 20-30 minutes/day...and that`s it!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2724144/Running-FOUR-miles-day-damage-health-especially-youve-heart-attack.html

No argument from me. These people obsessively cycling several miles when the heat index is 108 are OUT OF THEIR EFFEMINATE ANTI WIND DRAG HELMETED MINDS.

"Yeah, I want some of that nice bounce back heat radiation from the asphalt while I am also fucking up the traffic flow of automobiles as me and my buddy take up a lane.

My water bottle makes me invincible. Live Strong."

(vomit)

Movement Key : IT

wr250

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on August 14, 2014, 08:56:55 AM
No argument from me. These people obsessively cycling several miles when the heat index is 108 are OUT OF THEIR EFFEMINATE ANTI WIND DRAG HELMETED MINDS.

"Yeah, I want some of that nice bounce back heat radiation from the asphalt while I am also fucking up the traffic flow of automobiles as me and my buddy take up a lane.

(vomit)

may the farce be with you

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on August 14, 2014, 08:56:55 AM

(vomit)

Does having a conniption over mundane matters in the lives of others help or harm your health?  Just curious.

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on August 14, 2014, 09:27:49 AM
Does having a conniption over mundane matters in the lives of others help or harm your health?  Just curious.

I am touched by your concern over my health, and frankly, didn't see it coming, Pig.

Was it the all caps that triggered your imagining of my stroking out? If so, you incorrectly assumed what degree of pressure was being applied to the keyboard, though hardly your fault. But your concern is duly noted and will at some point be rewarded, despite said concern originating from porcine facetiousness.

Meanwhile, if anyone's health is truly in immediate danger, it's that of the cyclists! (specifically, a "local pack" of wheeled wolves - not the general cyclist. I myself love hitting the road via bike chain. But responsibly. Perhaps you mistakenly thought I was referring to just ANY "other" cyclist out in this bastard heat, doing their "mundane" thing, instead of those directly affecting me and my safe travel on a rural two-way road, two lanes total wide, which I must frequent three times weekly and that for a length of approximately five miles, possesses no shoulder/emergency lane whatsoever. Said road is a frequent shortcut for semi trailers and though I have the blind spots and curves well memorized, many out of state truckers use that road for the first time to cut across to a major freeway. That's when it really gets hairy. You really have no idea.

These few, but habitual group of Lance Armstrong weekend warriors seem to believe they are constructed of titanium just because they have "legal right of way.")

I confess, I remain in a state of perpetual temptation to run them over via this lovable machine:

[attach=1]

Movement Key : OA

The General

Hey, let's all turn out swords into plowshares and our bike chains into fidgets.

Quote from: The General on August 14, 2014, 12:30:18 PM
Hey, let's all turn out swords into plowshares and our bike chains into fidgets.

And all abandoned telephone booths into... into... backyard telephone booths.

Movement Key : C1

As someone who was a fairly avid road cyclist, I can say those two lane back roads with no shoulders wouldn't be my first choice, but living on such a road there aren't a lot of other good options.  Riding on a busy highway isn't great either.  I used to have to ride on a busy section of highway with narrow single lanes, a steady stream of fast logging trucks, and gravel shoulders which would knock me over or puncture my racing tires if I was forced to go off into it.  Not to mention I was going for exercise and to improve my speed and endurance so it defeats the purpose to slow down or stop all the time.

But even on busy four lane roads or highways with wide shoulders, it's safest for a cyclist to ride right up against the white line.  Some drivers are pretty ignorant and can side swipe you if you don't force them over a little bit by making yourself an obstacle riding close to the road.  Then there's all the gravel and crap on the shoulders that can puncture the tires or send you head over heals, and that could force me over towards the road as well.

All you have in a car is a little momentary frustration while you sit back in luxurious lazy comfort.  On my bicycle, I've got my life to think about the whole time I'm out there trying to better myself because of impatient and inattentive drivers.  I'm also exhausted and in physical pain from pushing myself, so can be prone to the odd mistake.

cweb

So... Where does this study factor in diet? Or other health habits (like not smoking)?

If someone wants to run/bike/swim/tapdance 5 miles a day, that's fine. As long as they're not hurting anyone else. I've a feeling that this is one of those studies that contradicts other studies and blablabla. Like how milk gives you cancer. But milk reduces the risk of cancer. (Huh?)

Besides, even if it kills people off, darwinism.

Quote from: The General on August 14, 2014, 12:52:20 PM
Movement Key : MF

check mate

You sunk my Fidgetship.  Ok, not really, but that MF movement key was damned funny.

Movement Key : VA

b_dubb

Speaking of overdoing it ... fidget has become the new f-word

popple

People tend to overlook the power of rest & recuperation. Exercise breaks down the body, while proper food and recovery is what builds up the body so it can rise to the demands you put upon it. Seems like common knowledge, but you would be surprised how many people don't put it together & work themselves to death while not seeing nearly half the results they're looking for. Short exercises with max effort have been proven to give greater benefits all around. I once saw an olympic sprinter go through a typical day of his training and there was more time spent napping and flooding his body with nutrient dense food than actual training. At first I was surprised, because you would think to get to that level of athleticism one would have to do an incredible extra amount of work, but it makes sense. Sprinters have insane bodies. Train smart in an effective amount of time with max effort and nap/snack like a champ. BOOM! 8)

My favorite workout is to settle into a reclining position and do several hours of twelve-ounce curls with one hand while pushing the buttons on the remote non-stop with the other.  It's given me twelve pack abs and thumbs that can effortlessly crush walnuts.

Quote from: popple on August 14, 2014, 01:26:56 PM
People tend to overlook the power of rest & recuperation. Exercise breaks down the body, while proper food and recovery is what builds up the body so it can rise to the demands you put upon it. Seems like common knowledge, but you would be surprised how many people don't put it together & work themselves to death while not see nearly half the results they're looking for. Short exercises with max effort have been proven to give greater benefits all around. I once saw an olympic sprinter go through a typical day of his training and there was more time spent napping and flooding his body with nutrient dense food than actual training. At first I was surprised, because you would think to get to that level of athleticism one would have to do an incredible extra amount of work, but it makes sense. Train smart in an effective amount of time with max effort and nap/snack like a champ. BOOM! 8)

That's the difference between sprinting or weight training and endurance sports like long distance running and cycling, though.  I certainly agree with you, but that's much more true with intense short-duration sports where you break down your muscle tissue with 80%+ exertion and have to build it up bigger through rest and nutrition.  Endurance sports require much more constant training.  But like you say, in the past I've usually overdone it and then quit after making myself sick from over training.

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on August 14, 2014, 01:31:23 PM
My favorite workout is to settle into a reclining position and do several hours of twelve-ounce curls with one hand while pushing the buttons on the remote non-stop with the other.  It's given me twelve pack abs and thumbs that can effortlessly crush walnuts.

twelve pack?  I've got a keg.

popple

ERRRRMAHGAWD! Sprinters on top, long distance runners on the bottom

Short bursts of exercise actually increase human growth hormone.

Quote from: popple on August 14, 2014, 01:44:41 PM
ERRRRMAHGAWD! Sprinters on top, long distance runners on the bottom

They do have healthier looking physiques :)

popple

They've got my vote, Georgie!!!

Gd5150

Having 0% body fat is not healthy. Hollywood and big fashion's versions of healthy are a joke. One can only be anorexic to weigh sub 110lbs unless you're 5' tall. Those industries and their content is not controlled by straight men. If it were women would look like Marylyn Monroe, instead they look more like Marylyn Manson.