• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

zeebo

I don't remember any trek epsiode or movie ever being 'scary' lol.  Except the Gorn of course.  The friggin Gorn.

zeebo

Wow the original green babe in star trek almost didn't happen as the film developers kept airbrushing out the green thinking there was a mistake.  Don't tell nooryisawesome.   ;)

norland2424

Quote from: zeebo on September 10, 2016, 11:56:20 PM
I don't remember any trek epsiode or movie ever being 'scary' lol.  Except the Gorn of course.  The friggin Gorn.

Hoagie even back then has molded your mind to accept the horrors in the star trek universe

I always loved Star Trek 2 and I thought and still think it is the best in the series.  I thought Khan was a great villain and my friends at the time thought so too.  Yeah, it did come after the dull first picture.  I didn't care as much for Star Trek 3 because they got some other chick to play Saavik and she wasn't as sexy as Kirstie Alley. Star Trek IV was a nice change of pace.  I must say I enjoyed the goofy Star Trek V. I thought VI was very good but I wished it had a bit more action.  It felt anti-climactic to me at the time.  Here are my rankings of the first 6 films. They are based on my enjoyment not filmmaking merit.

1. The Wrath of Khan
2. The Voyage Home
3. The Final Frontier
4. The Undiscovered Country
5. The Search For Spock
6. The Motion Picture

Mind you.  I enjoyed all of the films and there really is not a bad one in the lot though the first one is a bit tedious to sit through again.  I was overjoyed when it first came out and I was not disappointed when I first saw it in the theater.  Here are my rankings in terms of merit.

1.  The Wrath Of Khan
2. The Voyage Home
3. The Undiscovered Country
4. The Search For Spock
5. The Motion Picture
6. The Final Frontier

I just can't find it in myself to put the first film in the last spot in this list due to my respect for the great Robert Wise but this film was a disappointment coming from him.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 21st Century Man on September 11, 2016, 12:39:15 AM
I always loved Star Trek 2 and I thought and still think it is the best in the series.  I thought Khan was a great villain and my friends at the time thought so too.  Yeah, it did come after the dull first picture.  I didn't care as much for Star Trek 3 because they got some other chick to play Saavik and she wasn't as sexy as Kirstie Alley. Star Trek IV was a nice change of pace.  I must say I enjoyed the goofy Star Trek V. I thought VI was very good but I wished it had a bit more action.  It felt anti-climactic to me at the time.  Here are my rankings of the first 6 films. They are based on my enjoyment not filmmaking merit.

1. The Wrath of Khan
2. The Voyage Home
3. The Final Frontier
4. The Undiscovered Country
5. The Search For Spock
6. The Motion Picture

Mind you.  I enjoyed all of the films and there really is not a bad one in the lot though the first one is a bit tedious to sit through again.  I was overjoyed when it first came out and I was not disappointed when I first saw it in the theater.  Here are my rankings in terms of merit.

1.  The Wrath Of Khan
2. The Voyage Home
3. The Undiscovered Country
4. The Search For Spock
5. The Motion Picture
6. The Final Frontier

I just can't find it in myself to put the first film in the last spot in this list due to my respect for the great Robert Wise but this film was a disappointment coming from him.

I thought 3 was pretty bad. Most think 5 is the worst but I though it had some redeemable qualities. I suppose I would rate them:

1. The Voyage Home
2. The Undiscovered Country
3. The Wrath of Khan
4. The Motion Picture
5. The Final Frontier
6. The Search for Spock

zeebo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on September 11, 2016, 12:52:43 AM
I thought 3 was pretty bad. Most think 5 is the worst but I though it had some redeemable qualities. I suppose I would rate them:

1. The Voyage Home
2. The Undiscovered Country
3. The Wrath of Khan
4. The Motion Picture
5. The Final Frontier
6. The Search for Spock

I see that Saavik was originally supposed to be the assassin in The Undiscovered Country and if Alley had stayed in the series, then that would have been what happened in VI.  I think that would have added a tragic dimension to the film and possibly would have lifted that film to the top position.

Quote from: zeebo on September 11, 2016, 12:57:02 AM
I liked Episode I:  The Search for Jar Jar Binks

LOL.   Hopefully his body was sent to the planet,Tartarus, instead of Genesis.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: zeebo on September 11, 2016, 12:57:02 AM
I liked Episode I:  The Search for Jar Jar Binks

Lucas missed a golden opportunity with Jar Jar after Episode 1. Dig it!: Jar Jar X Jackass. You see, it's just like Jackass but only with Jar Jar constantly getting fucked up. An all Jar Jar Jackass! Huh? Huh?  :D

ItsOver

Quote from: zeebo on September 10, 2016, 11:31:36 PM
Much thanks to IO for tipping us off to this treat.  Very interesting to see the raw show in it's original first incarnation.  But like -5 points for this wisecracking jackass "Svengoolie".  Show some respect for the trek dude!
Svengoolie is total corn-ball.  Jorch must love him.  Unlike Jorck, Sven does actually have some interesting film trivia during the breaks.  He grows on you, after a few years.  Like mold on acorns.

It WAS weird to see Spock smile.  Kind of creepy.

trostol

so the ST marathon last night ended with Insurrection...which i didn't think was bad..but it felt more like just a long episode

norland2424

Quote from: trostol on September 11, 2016, 06:37:46 PM
so the ST marathon last night ended with Insurrection...which i didn't think was bad..but it felt more like just a long episode

Is that the one where picard gets laid ?

trostol

Quote from: norland2424 on September 11, 2016, 07:01:18 PM
Is that the one where picard gets laid ?

pretty close lol it really didn't feel movie worthy..the bad guys were kinda..weak lol

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: ItsOver on September 11, 2016, 08:57:30 AM
Svengoolie is total corn-ball.  Jorch must love him.  Unlike Jorck, Sven does actually have some interesting film trivia during the breaks.  He grows on you, after a few years.  Like mold on acorns.

Yeah, I always found that scene weird too. He was half human but spent most of the time trying to suppress that side of himself because we're so wildly irrational.  ;D

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 21st Century Man on September 11, 2016, 01:08:26 AM

I see that Saavik was originally supposed to be the assassin in The Undiscovered Country and if Alley had stayed in the series, then that would have been what happened in VI.  I think that would have added a tragic dimension to the film and possibly would have lifted that film to the top position.

Do you have a link to the script? I wouldn't mind reading that.

norland2424

Quote from: trostol on September 11, 2016, 07:44:53 PM
pretty close lol it really didn't feel movie worthy..the bad guys were kinda..weak lol

All the next gen movies suck, and Picard breaks the prime directive in each one and acts like a damn action hero

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: norland2424 on September 11, 2016, 07:58:24 PM
All the next gen movies suck, and Picard breaks the prime directive in each one and acts like a damn action hero

Sadly, true. The series was like a little movie every week. The production values were that good for back then so it was hard to top it in the theater.

norland2424

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on September 11, 2016, 08:00:11 PM
Sadly, true. The series was like a little movie every week. The production values were that good for back then so it was hard to top it in the theater.

How did it go from this

To this  :-\

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: norland2424 on September 11, 2016, 08:06:20 PM
How did it go from this

To this  :-\

Dunno. Maybe too much money and too much drugs. It can happen. Even Scorsese admitted he was out of his mind on cocaine when he made his worst movie: New York, New York. Probably not too many of the Star Trek guys rolled that way so perhaps the scripts had gone through a number of rewrites with different writers and started losing focus as a result. I don't think Rodenberry was alive for the next gen movies but he was for the TOS ones and oversaw the production of them. I guess whoever replaced him just wasn't into it enough.

BobGrau

Quote from: norland2424 on September 11, 2016, 07:58:24 PM

This is just a fundamental flaw with all movies (except the odd breathtaking abomination like Tusk, see my post above), the budget-publish-distribute process cannot help but grind most of the interesting rough edges off of a story to the point where no-one enjoys the finished product. Hence we get action-hero variant Picard and the Hobbit's... well, just the Hobbit.

TV shows aren't much better, of course, but at least they seem to be trying these days.

ItsOver

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on September 11, 2016, 07:49:01 PM
Yeah, I always found that scene weird too. He was half human but spent most of the time trying to suppress that side of himself because we're so wildly irrational.  ;D
Completely out of character compared to the later Spock.

"Plant.  Pretty.  Hehehe."

zeebo

Quote from: ItsOver on September 12, 2016, 08:24:50 AM
Completely out of character compared to the later Spock.

There were a couple exceptions though, like the one where at the end he realizes Kirk is still alive, and the one where he gets blasted by happy-spores. 

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: zeebo on September 12, 2016, 01:21:56 PM
There were a couple exceptions though, like the one where at the end he realizes Kirk is still alive, and the one where he gets blasted by happy-spores.

Also, when going through pon farr he got quite emotional but that's entirely Vulcan.

ItsOver

Quote from: zeebo on September 12, 2016, 01:21:56 PM
True, squirrel, but he recomposed himself after the Kirk quirk and the other is Spock on happy-juice.  For The Cage, a happy-time Spock wasn't out of the norm yet.

zeebo

Quote from: ItsOver on September 12, 2016, 01:45:01 PM
True, squirrel, but he recomposed himself after the Kirk quirk and the other is Spock on happy-juice.  For The Cage, a happy-time Spock wasn't out of the norm yet.

Yep and I have to say the 'Kirk quirk' (lol) moment is one of my faves in the series - the quick outburst followed by the logical explanation of being pleased Star Fleet didn't lose such a compentent officer, and the ribbing by Kirk & Bones that followed.  Up there with the Horta mind-meld as far as great Spock scenes.

You could always tell when emotions were getting the better of Spock.  Usually when he's emotional, he'll call Captain Kirk, Jim.

ItsOver

Quote from: zeebo on September 12, 2016, 02:16:48 PM
Yep and I have to say the 'Kirk quirk' (lol) moment is one of my faves in the series - the quick outburst followed by the logical explanation of being pleased Star Fleet didn't lose such a compentent officer, and the ribbing by Kirk & Bones that followed.  Up there with the Horta mind-meld as far as great Spock scenes.
Ha!  Definitely a memorable Trek moment.  We all know Spock deep-down was just a big softie.  And Bones was just a doctor.  And Scotty's beloved Enterprise canna take any more, Captain!

Rix Gins

Quote from: ItsOver on September 11, 2016, 08:57:30 AM

Spock was also more emotional when he talked in the first episode.  Like here, when he was reporting on an incoming radio beam.

Quote from: Rix Gins on September 12, 2016, 05:23:28 PM
Spock was also more emotional when he talked in the first episode.  Like here, when he was reporting on an incoming radio beam.
Well, Spock's eyebrows were more emotional in the early episodes.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Étouffée on September 12, 2016, 05:52:29 PM
Well, Spock's eyebrows were more emotional in the early episodes.

Yeah, they eased up on the devil brows later. Kinda like when you're playing a retard you should never go full-on retard, I guess when you're trying to make a devil-man you should never go full-on devil.  ;)