• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

I caught The Legend of Tarzan today.

Definitely worth the price of admission. Kind of a chic flick, but not really.

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on July 02, 2016, 12:09:09 AM
"The Norseman" on *the works* retro network.  Vikings land somewhere on what is supposed to be the eastern coast of North America despite the occasional palm tree, and have to fight for their lives against the local inhabitants who strenuously object to their presence.  Starring Lee Majors as Snoori Zorroson, the Lone Berserker, Cornell Wilde as Ragnar (Lothbrok?), venerable comedy character actress Kathleen Freeman as "Old Indian woman" in a dark, disturbing role that's guaranteed to leave you squirming uncomfortably for several reasons, Sven Jefferson as the obligatory Black Viking, slack jawed extras in ludicrous, historically inaccurate head gear, and Jack Elam (not pictured) as the Death Dreamer. All that's missing from this turkey is the Stove Top stuffing and cranberry sauce.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078007/

Snoory is in this?  Oh man, this must be a riot!!!

I've been far too busy to post reviews lately but I'll get back in the grind, promise.  The new movie reviews will be posted on this thread but you will have to go to the Bellgab Classic Movie Playhouse for the classic and not-so-classic reviews of old films.

akwilly

Quote from: 21st Century Man on July 02, 2016, 03:25:47 AM
Snoory is in this?  Oh man, this must be a riot!!!
according to imb majors got the award for worst actor. It also said one of the many screwups was a shot at one of the Vikings wearing a wristwatch

akwilly

Quote from: 21st Century Man on July 02, 2016, 03:28:27 AM
I've been far too busy to post reviews lately but I'll get back in the grind, promise.  The new movie reviews will be posted on this thread but you will have to go to the Bellgab Classic Movie Playhouse for the classic and not-so-classic reviews of old films.
you might have posted and I didn't see it but I am curious, what is your favorite movie?

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on July 02, 2016, 12:09:09 AM
"The Norseman" on *the works* retro network.  Vikings land somewhere on what is supposed to be the eastern coast of North America despite the occasional palm tree, and have to fight for their lives against the local inhabitants who strenuously object to their presence. 
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078007/

More evidence that we live in a simulated reality and that sometimes, shit just overlaps. The similarities are shocking and undeniable.

This is going to take a six pack of Michelob for me to look the other way and act like nothing is going on:

ItsOver

As so often happens, I accidentally caught this cool, little movie, "Things Change," on GetTV last night.  Since it had Don Ameche, I though it might be worth watching and it drew me in.   If you enjoy mafia movies and liked Seller's "Being There," you should enjoy this movie.

Courtesy of Mr. Ebert.

"Things Change" is a neat little exercise in wit and deception, in which an old Italian-American shoeshine man convinces the crime syndicate boss of Lake Tahoe that he is the man behind the man behind the man. His secret is to have no secret. He answers every question truthfully. He does most of his talking about how to get a perfect shoeshine. By the end of the film, we have witnessed a con so perfect that the people pulling it didn’t even want to pull a con.

Future showings on GetTV.

http://www.get.tv/search/things%20change?f[0]=type%3Ascheduled_item

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on July 02, 2016, 04:43:26 AM
More evidence that we live in a simulated reality and that sometimes, shit just overlaps. The similarities are shocking and undeniable.

This is going to take a six pack of Michelob for me to look the other way and act like nothing is going on:

I think you're on to something there, because I'm beginning to detect a pattern.

analog kid

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on July 02, 2016, 11:28:39 AM
I think you're on to something there, because I'm beginning to detect a pattern.

The Great and Secret Show.

Quote from: analog kid on July 02, 2016, 11:55:46 AM
The Great and Secret Show.

I'm not admitting anything, but I did work at the post office for awhile.  ;)

Riffing about a book I read in 1989!  This is something I like a lot about BG.

I'm going to miss it when it is gone and replaced by HeatherGab or NaziGab or SpecGab, however the chips fall.

8)

analog kid

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on July 02, 2016, 12:03:50 PM
I'm not admitting anything, but I did work at the post office for awhile.  ;)

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on July 02, 2016, 12:45:09 PM

;D

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on July 02, 2016, 11:28:39 AM

Ha! Could be. I bought that Zappa album in the 80s, not just because it's Zappa but because of the cover art by Tanino Liberatore, who did a series called RanXerox that was featured in the magazine Heavy Metal in the 80s. It was the VERY gritty story of an android who hung out with French prostitutes. He kind of RanXeroxed Frank in this picture.

P.S. Dangerous Kitchen is an awesome track from this album. Check it out, if you get a chance.  ;)

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: ItsOver on July 02, 2016, 07:45:34 AM
As so often happens, I accidentally caught this cool, little movie, "Things Change," on GetTV last night.  Since it had Don Ameche, I though it might be worth watching and it drew me in.   If you enjoy mafia movies and liked Seller's "Being There," you should enjoy this movie.

Courtesy of Mr. Ebert.

"Things Change" is a neat little exercise in wit and deception, in which an old Italian-American shoeshine man convinces the crime syndicate boss of Lake Tahoe that he is the man behind the man behind the man. His secret is to have no secret. He answers every question truthfully. He does most of his talking about how to get a perfect shoeshine. By the end of the film, we have witnessed a con so perfect that the people pulling it didn’t even want to pull a con.

I love finding out about these sleepers I may have missed. Thanks, this sounds fun!  :)

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on July 02, 2016, 01:45:39 PM
Ha! Could be. I bought that Zappa album in the 80s, not just because it's Zappa but because of the cover art by Tanino Liberatore, who did a series called RanXerox that was featured in the magazine Heavy Metal in the 80s. It was the VERY gritty story of an android who hung out with French prostitutes. He kind of RanXeroxed Frank in this picture.

P.S. Dangerous Kitchen is an awesome track from this album. Check it out, if you get a chance.  ;)

I'll have to check out Dangerous Kitchen. I have never listened to this album because I'm not a big fan of a lot of what FZ did at that time, but I've always liked the cover. I didn't know the backstory, so thanks for the info!  I also just found out that the cover is a reference a concert he gave in Italy when the stage was swarmed by mosquitoes, seriously annoying the band, and resulting in a near riot.

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on July 02, 2016, 12:45:09 PM

Wait...there's a book? I see the sticky fingerprints of Kissoon all over that!  I knew that snake of a turd would write a tell-all some day.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on July 02, 2016, 02:15:33 PM
I'll have to check out Dangerous Kitchen. I have never listened to this album because I'm not a big fan of a lot of what FZ did at that time, but I've always liked the cover. I didn't know the backstory, so thanks for the info!  I also just found out that the cover is a reference a concert he gave in Italy when the stage was swarmed by mosquitoes, seriously annoying the band, and resulting in a near riot.

Cool! I've never heard the mosquito story before. What a great band! I wonder if any of them have written books about their days in the band? From the few great stories I've already heard about life on the road with Frank I bet there are lots more.  :D

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on July 02, 2016, 02:25:28 PM
Cool! I've never heard the mosquito story before. What a great band! I wonder if any of them have written books about their days in the band? From the few great stories I've already heard about life on the road with Frank I bet there are lots more.  :D

There are some fun interviews with former band members on YT.  This one with Steve Vai is just about my favorite--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx1RguHA4XE

Got to see him three times, including the Bongo Fury tour with Captain Beefheart.  I also saw Dweezil's Zappa Plays Zappa on the recent tours that did tributes to "Roxy and Elsewhere" and "One Size Fits All", although apparently there's some friction between him and his brother who is an executor of the family trust and has decided D can't use that name any more. It's really a shame. What stands out about Dweezil is that he's taught himself all the nasty tricksy parts FZ wrote for other people but never bothered to learn to play himself, and his guitar solos are all his own.  He doesn't try to copy FZ's style. He also has a band that's as good as any of his dad's.

Quote from: akwilly on July 02, 2016, 04:08:08 AM
you might have posted and I didn't see it but I am curious, what is your favorite movie?

My favorite movie.  I'm not even sure that I know the answer to that one.  Raiders of the Lost Ark,  Lost Horizon (1937), The Black Cat (1934),  The War of The Worlds (1953), Little Caesar, The Treasure of The Sierra Madre, The Man Who Would Be King, The Ten Commandments (1956), The Searchers, Gunga Din, Frankenstein,  The Bride Of Frankenstein, A Tale of Two Cities (1935),  Scarface (1932),  The Public Enemy, The Godfather, They Died With Their Boots On, Captain Blood, Close Encounters of The Third Kind, Jaws,  The Pink Panther Strikes Again, After The Fox,  Dr. Strangelove, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Stagecoach (1939), White Heat, Murder My Sweet,  The Haunting (1963), Skyfall, The Wrath of Khan, Goldfinger,  Faust (1926), The Big Parade, The Last Command, Noah's Ark (1928), The Magician,  The Devil Rides Out, The Exorcist,  The Conjuring,  She (1935), King Kong (1933), The Most Dangerous Game, Babyface, Red River,  She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Hell's Heroes (1929), Braveheart, Underworld (1927),  The Maltese Falcon (1931), M, It's A Wonderful Life, Mr. Smith Goes To Washington, Out of The Past.

I could go on and on.  Yeah my list is tilted heavily towards older films.  Many of today's films are quite forgettable though every now and again there is a gem.  By no means take this list as the last word from me.  I'm sure that I'm forgetting quite a few.  That's just a starter list.

Courtesy of Mr. Ebert.

I wanted to see that when it came out.  Still haven't.  Thanks for the recommendation.  :D

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on July 02, 2016, 02:53:44 PM
There are some fun interviews with former band members on YT.  This one with Steve Vai is just about my favorite--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx1RguHA4XE

Got to see him three times, including the Bongo Fury tour with Captain Beefheart.  I also saw Dweezil's Zappa Plays Zappa on the recent tours that did tributes to "Roxy and Elsewhere" and "One Size Fits All", although apparently there's some friction between him and his brother who is an executor of the family trust and has decided D can't use that name any more. It's really a shame. What stands out about Dweezil is that he's taught himself all the nasty tricksy parts FZ wrote for other people but never bothered to learn to play himself, and his guitar solos are all his own.  He doesn't try to copy FZ's style. He also has a band that's as good as any of his dad's.

Thanks for the vid! I'll check it out. Wow! You are a lucky guy! Beefheart!! What were the other tours you saw? I never had the good sense to go see him while I still had a chance but I had a girlfriend who saw him in the early 80s and she couldn't speak highly enough of it. She was a huge Zappa freak though. I kinda became more so in dating her.

akwilly

Quote from: 21st Century Man on July 02, 2016, 03:15:55 PM
My favorite movie.  I'm not even sure that I know the answer to that one.  Raiders of the Lost Ark,  Lost Horizon (1937), The Black Cat (1934),  The War of The Worlds (1953), Little Caesar, The Treasure of The Sierra Madre, The Man Who Would Be King, The Ten Commandments (1956), The Searchers, Gunga Din, Frankenstein,  The Bride Of Frankenstein, A Tale of Two Cities (1935),  Scarface (1932),  The Public Enemy, The Godfather, They Died With Their Boots On, Captain Blood, Close Encounters of The Third Kind, Jaws,  The Pink Panther Strikes Again, After The Fox,  Dr. Strangelove, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Stagecoach (1939), White Heat, Murder My Sweet,  The Haunting (1963), Skyfall, The Wrath of Khan, Goldfinger,  Faust (1926), The Big Parade, The Last Command, Noah's Ark (1928), The Magician,  The Devil Rides Out, The Exorcist,  The Conjuring,  She (1935), King Kong (1933), The Most Dangerous Game, Babyface, Red River,  She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Hell's Heroes (1929), Braveheart, Underworld (1927),  The Maltese Falcon (1931), M, It's A Wonderful Life, Mr. Smith Goes To Washington, Out of The Past.

I could go on and on.  Yeah my list is tilted heavily towards older films.  Many of today's films are quite forgettable though every now and again there is a gem.  By no means take this list as the last word from me.  I'm sure that I'm forgetting quite a few.  That's just a starter list.
ya I don't even know what my favorite movie is. Right now I would give the nod to Stay away Joe starring Elvis. A close second is Captain Ron or Big Trouble in Little China

analog kid

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on July 02, 2016, 02:19:05 PM
Wait...there's a book? I see the sticky fingerprints of Kissoon all over that!  I knew that snake of a turd would write a tell-all some day.

+1

albrecht

Courtesy of Mr. Ebert.

I saw that years ago in a hotel room on HBO or some such and really liked it. I want to say afterwards or during that same weekend they played the movie "Folks!" also with Don Ameche but this time paired with Tom Selleck which, actually, I thought was pretty funny but I think didn't make much money.

analog kid

Quote from: Zetaspeak on July 01, 2016, 08:29:33 AM
I recently saw CI in the cinema, it was actually pretty funny. The Rock stole the show, that dude has some comedic timing along with being totally jacked lol

Quote from: coaster on June 27, 2016, 03:55:30 AM
Another sleepless night. Watched Central Intelligence. I usually don't watch these types of movies, but I admit, it was pretty funny. I like Kevin Hart. He just seems like a good guy.

Thanks for that. That was fun to watch while having some beers.

trostol

in the midst of watching something called the Godfather Epic...never knew about this..it's interesting to say the least in terms of how everything is in chronological order

albrecht

Quote from: trostol on July 02, 2016, 07:11:33 PM
in the midst of watching something called the Godfather Epic...never knew about this..it's interesting to say the least in terms of how everything is in chronological order
*some spoilers* Took some younger relatives to "The Shallows" the other day. I didn't see any trailers but thought it might be some kind of gimmick like "The Bay" or "Tentacles" etc. They told me after, of course it is a shark movie. It was ok. Lots of eye-candy for female lead and some visceral tense moments. The CGI wasn't that bad. Though, as my nephew said, the ending "wasn't realistic." I replied, "that is all that wasn't?" Though, admittedly, the shark obsession wasn't as absurd as some of the later Jaws franchise movies (one of which the shark follows the plane all the way to the Caribbean from New England, as I recall.)

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on July 02, 2016, 04:43:26 AM

It's even worse than we thought, Batgod.  Better get some more Michs.  I was going to let it be Lowenbrau tonight, but I'm out so I'm going to have to settle for Unibrau.

ItsOver

Quote from: 21st Century Man on July 02, 2016, 03:18:40 PM
I wanted to see that when it came out.  Still haven't.  Thanks for the recommendation.  :D
I'd never heard of "Things Change," until this week.  But nothing new for me.  I'm always discovery music and movies I'd never heard of before, thanks to some of the obscure stuff on OTA TV and the net.  I must have been sleep walking through the '80s, in particular.  Or maybe I was too busy with other stuff, like working for a living.

Enjoy!

P.S. - Joe Mantegna kept bringing this guy to mind, as I was watching.  In a good way.