• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

albrecht

Quote from: 21st Century Man on May 10, 2016, 10:35:33 AM
A movie you would want to put in a time capsule.
I figured it mean a movie it would take a "bottle" to sit through. Haha.

"THAT SON OF A BITCH STOLE MY WATCH!!!"

The Front Page (1931) with Adolphe Menjou and Pat O'Brien with solid support from Mary Brian, Edward Everett Horton, and Mae Clarke among others.  This was a  Howard Hughes independent production that was directed by Lewis Milestone (All Quiet On The Western Front).   Originally a stage play written by Ben Hecht and Charles MacArthur, this film is one of the more notorious pre-codes as Hughes was in complete charge of the film and he refused  to bow down to Will Hayes and his directives.  There were a couple compromises that Hughes made. He toned down the salty language and made other minor adjustments.  However, most of the dialogue remained intact.

80% of the film takes place in a press room at a prison where a certain Red is waiting to be hanged.  On the walls of the room, you can clearly see nude photos of young models pinned onto the wall. Pat O'Brien plays a Chicago reporter that wants to quit Menjou's paper and move to NYC with his soon-to-be wife.  Menjou needs him and tries to manipulate O'Brien so he will stay.  Horton plays an obviously gay reporter who also has a thing for gluten.  Yes, gluten! Clarke plays a nice and saucy prostitute who is a friend of the accused Red who is not a communist at all but an anarchist.  There is also another naughty bit where a reporter gives the Mayor the finger.  Hughes got away with this stuff when he placed a title card at the beginning of the film declaring that this film is set in a mythical kingdom.  ??? Apparently that was good enough for the production code boys, however it is clear during the film that it actually takes place in Chicago, Illinois.

This is a completely engaging film and the stars do a wonderful job and I urge you to see this version.  This was later remade by Billy Wilder in the 70's with Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau but I think the acting in the earlier version is far more authentic to the time.  The story was changed a bit in the late 30's and became His Girl Friday.  The only problem with the film is the sound as that technology was still rather primitive at that time.  I had a problem hearing a few words near the beginning of the film but the problem cleared up after a minute or 2.

Oh and about the saying at the top.  At the end of the film, O'Brien gives Menjou a final story and wants to leave and get on the train to NYC with his fiancee.  Menjou encourages this and says that he won't try to keep O'Brien in Chicago.  He makes O'Brien feel bad and the couple starts to change their mind about leaving.  Menjou will have none of that and wants to give O'Brien a going away gift; his favorite watch. O'Brien and his fiancee are extremely touched by this gesture and take their leave to get on the train.  Once they leave,  Menjou calls the police chief and tells him that he needs to arrest O'Brien during the train's first stop.  The police chief asks why and Menjou replies,  "That son of a bitch stole my watch!!!  LOL

One of Hughes best films. 4.5 out of 5 stars.

The film is available from Kino on a Blu-ray.  The print was taken from a restored East German print discovered in 1970 and it looks great.

starrmtn001

Quote from: 21st Century Man on May 10, 2016, 12:08:29 PM
"THAT SON OF A BITCH STOLE MY WATCH!!!"

The Front Page (1931) with Adolphe Menjou and Pat O'Brien with solid support from Mary Brian, Edward Everett Horton, and Mae Clarke among others.  This was a  Howard Hughes independent production that was directed by Lewis Milestone (All Quiet On The Western Front).   Originally a stage play written by Ben Hecht and Charles MacArthur, this film is one of the more notorious pre-codes as Hughes was in complete charge of the film and he refused  to bow down to Will Hayes and his directives.  There were a couple compromises that Hughes made. He toned down the salty language and made other minor adjustments.  However, most of the dialogue remained intact.

80% of the film takes place in a press room at a prison where a certain Red is waiting to be hanged.  On the walls of the room, you can clearly see nude photos of young models pinned onto the wall. Pat O'Brien plays a Chicago reporter that wants to quit Menjou's paper and move to NYC with his soon-to-be wife.  Menjou needs him and tries to manipulate O'Brien so he will stay.  Horton plays an obviously gay reporter who also has a thing for gluten.  Yes, gluten! Clarke plays a nice and saucy prostitute who is a friend of the accused Red who is not a communist at all but an anarchist.  There is also another naughty bit where a reporter gives the Mayor the finger.  Hughes got away with this stuff when he placed a title card at the beginning of the film declaring that this film is set in a mythical kingdom.  ??? Apparently that was good enough for the production code boys, however it is clear during the film that it actually takes place in Chicago, Illinois.

This is a completely engaging film and the stars do a wonderful job and I urge you to see this version.  This was later remade by Billy Wilder in the 70's with Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau but I think the acting in the earlier version is far more authentic to the time.  The story was changed a bit in the late 30's and became His Girl Friday.  The only problem with the film is the sound as that technology was still rather primitive at that time.  I had a problem hearing a few words near the beginning of the film but the problem cleared up after a minute or 2.

Oh and about the saying at the top.  At the end of the film, O'Brien gives Menjou a final story and wants to leave and get on the train to NYC with his fiancee.  Menjou encourages this and says that he won't try to keep O'Brien in Chicago.  He makes O'Brien feel bad and the couple starts to change their mind about leaving.  Menjou will have none of that and wants to give O'Brien a going away gift; his favorite watch. O'Brien and his fiancee are extremely touched by this gesture and take their leave to get on the train.  Once they leave,  Menjou calls the police chief and tells him that he needs to arrest O'Brien during the train's first stop.  The police chief asks why and Menjou replies,  "That son of a bitch stole my watch!!!  LOL

One of Hughes best films. 4.5 out of 5 stars.

The film is available from Kino on a Blu-ray.  The print was taken from a restored East German print discovered in 1970 and it looks great.
(Skipping into the thread) ta-tee-dum-da-dum . . . .   Oh, hi!  Here I brought y'all sumthin.'  I'll leave it right here.  Okay, see ya!  Ta-dee-dum-da-dum . . . . . . .

The Front Page (1931) [Comedy]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZsq52_-rz0

What Price Hollywood? (1932) is an early directorial effort by George Cukor.  It is about a star director (Lowell Sherman) who discovers a new Hollywood starlet (Constance Bennett) at the Brown Derby.  Her stardom rises as his fades due to alcoholism.  She marries an eastern playboy (Neil Hamilton of Batman fame) and has a child.  Sherman who is impotent due to his alcoholism keeps on butting into their love life and Hamilton divorces Bennett.  The climax of the film is quite riveting.

This is a short compact little film (88 minutes) that served as the basis for A Star Is Born and I enjoyed it immensely.  I've never been a big fan of Cukor's films as they were mostly chick flicks but this one is pretty heavy and pulls no punches.  Sherman steals the show in every scene he is in.  He would tragically die 2 years later at the age of 49 from double pneumonia.  There is some pre-code humor directed at lesbians and the sexual dysfunction of the Sherman character is quite clear.  There is an awesome quick-cut montage during the climax of the flick.  Cukor was way ahead of his time in this aspect. It is really a terrific film that is available from the Warner Archive.  As of now, my favorite Cukor film.  4.25 out of 5 stars.

Quote from: starrmtn001 on May 10, 2016, 12:29:46 PM
(Skipping into the thread) ta-tee-dum-da-dum . . . .   Oh, hi!  Here I brought y'all sumthin.'  I'll leave it right here.  Okay, see ya!  Ta-dee-dum-da-dum . . . . . . .

The Front Page (1931) [Comedy]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZsq52_-rz0

LOL.  I bought a print that looked like that a couple years ago and it was unwatchable. I'm so glad a more pristine version is available now.

Final film to review is Cat People not the Val Lewton/Jacques Tourneur film from the 1940's but the sexy adaptation from 1982 starring Nastassja Kinski and Malcolm McDowell.  Set in New Orleans, this tale involves the reunification of a brother and sister who were torn from each other when they were children.  All is not as it first seems though.  The brother has incestuous desires for his sister.  You see he is tired of having to kill his girlfriends after they mate.  Why would he kill them, you ask?  Well, after he achieves orgasm, he turns into a panther and slashes his girlfriends to death.  He knows his sister has the same biological makeup and can protect herself once they orgasm.  Only problem is she doesn't believe him as she is still a virgin.

Anyway, bro has sex one day and is quickly captured by zoo employees who have no idea that he is at least part human.  Sis starts searching for her bro but cannot find him.  She gives up and decides to go to the zoo where she unknowingly sketches her brother in panther form.  She gets a job at the zoo and starts building a relationship with the head zoologist (John Heard).  One day, the panther escapes and when sis arrives back home, she finds her brother waiting for her. He tries to seduce her but fails and he warns her not to have sex with the zoologist or she will kill him. 

There is a bit more but I don't want to reveal it. I will say that the end is a bit bizarre.  The film is a bit slow at times.  All of the actors and actresses acquit themselves rather well.  Kinski was a beautiful woman in this though I didn't care for her short bob.  Ed Begley Jr. has a nice supporting role in this but comes to a grisly end.  There are some nice scenes of African natives worshiping the panther gods.  The soundtrack by Giorgio Moroder and David Bowie is excellent.  I liked the film but didn't love it. The 1942 film is much better.  3 out of 5 stars.

starrmtn001

You're right.  What Price Hollywood? (1932) isn't available on YouTube, at least I couldn't find it.

Oh, about the movie Cat People.  Cat People?  HAH!!!  I know Cat People!  I'm, a Cat People!!!

I am, personally OFFENDED by this movie!  Why, it's RACIST!   SLANDEROUS!   NON-HISSTORIC!!! >:( >:( >:(

Just kidding. ;D ;)

Quote from: starrmtn001 on May 10, 2016, 01:51:32 PM
You're right.  What Price Hollywood? (1932) isn't available on YouTube, at least I couldn't find it.

Oh, about the movie Cat People.  Cat People?  HAH!!!  I know Cat People!  I'm, a Cat People!!!

I am, personally OFFENDED by this movie!  Why, it's RACIST!   SLANDEROUS!   NON-HISSTORIC!!! >:( >:( >:(

Just kidding. ;D ;)

:D :D

No, Time-Warner owns the RKO library that What Price Hollywood? is part of. They would never allow it on youtube.  The Front Page was an independent production that is in the public domain right now.

Hautex

Quote from: Ciardelo on March 03, 2016, 09:31:18 PM
I liked the second season too. I think I liked the one about the school system a little better (my school teacher sis has gone through some of those problems) but I'm hard-pressed to pick a "favorite".

I'll have to check Deadpool. With your recommendation and 21st Century man's rating it sounds like it might be pretty good.
Just finished Deadpool and this heartfelt declaration on love and acceptance by Morena Baccarin  to Ryan Reynolds pretty much sums up the overall mood of this flick: "Hey,  after a brief adjustment period and a bunch of drinks, it's a face that I'd be happy to sit on".... Great, great movie for us over-humored sadistic smart-asses.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7-tPSNfXrw

akwilly

I watched Joy on DVD last night. It is the story of the lady that invented the miracle mop. Jennifer Lawrence stars in it along with broadly cooper and Robert dinero. It was a pretty good flick. I enjoyed it way more than the captain America movie I saw earlier in the evening at the theater

Quote from: akwilly on May 10, 2016, 05:08:06 PM
I watched Joy on DVD last night. It is the story of the lady that invented the miracle mop. Jennifer Lawrence stars in it along with broadly cooper and Robert dinero. It was a pretty good flick. I enjoyed it way more than the captain America movie I saw earlier in the evening at the theater

Joy was the last thing I felt after watching that flick.  I asked myself,  "Why the hell did I waste my time watching a flick about a lady who sells stuff on QVC?"  My wife liked it though.  I'll give it 3 stars as it was well-made but just not my bag.  A high-end Lifetime flick.  Ladies will like it more than the the guys though akwilly seems to be an exception to that rule.

Maggie

It`s an excellent horror/drama film that, largely, went unnoticed. Outstanding performances; especially By Schwarzenneger (his best ever!) and Abigail Besslin. It`s quite dark, though. So, on a dark, rainy, kind of dismal day, pop a bottle of Pinot and enjoy this one.

Quote from: FightTheFuture on May 11, 2016, 09:08:17 AM
Maggie

It`s an excellent horror/drama film that, largely, went unnoticed. Outstanding performances; especially By Schwarzenneger (his best ever!) and Abigail Besslin. It`s quite dark, though. So, on a dark, rainy, kind of dismal day, pop a bottle of Pinot and enjoy this one.

I bought that film but haven't watched it yet.

Quote from: 21st Century Man on May 11, 2016, 09:12:20 AM

I think you`ll find it very interesting, 21. I`m not a big Schwarzenegger fan, but he really delivered in  this one. Tell me how you liked it after you watch it. I`d like to know your thoughts on it.

zeebo

Quote from: 21st Century Man on May 11, 2016, 08:02:37 AM
...Ladies will like it more than the the guys though akwilly seems to be an exception to that rule.

Even us with raging testosterone levels have a soft spot for certain flicks, e.g. I loved Amelie and Chocolat.   :)

ziznak

Quote from: FightTheFuture on May 11, 2016, 09:08:17 AM
Maggie

I watched this soon after it had come out and liked it a lot.  Schwartzneeegar appeared on Opie and Jim talking about it too.  It was interesting hearing him talk about the film.

Chine

Quote from: zeebo on May 11, 2016, 01:26:52 PM
Even us with raging testosterone levels have a soft spot for certain flicks, e.g. I loved Amelie and Chocolat.   :)

Zeebo! Great films. Two favs of mine.

Btw. I have squirrel updates to share with you.

Hey 21st, as you enjoy watching a great deal of films and writing on them, have you written on them? Besides here on BG but a blog, online film/arts magazines etc.? I think you should.

I used to cover films, film festivals for a magazine a couple years back. Unfortunately, the pay isn't great unless you're with a great publication. Seeing films all day long and crafting an article, review, interviews was so much work. Yet, had to focus on the paying work.

I miss it sometimes and consider it but there's so much time to invest when you have deadlines, quick turn around. Some film companies will send you screeners, which helps.

You should consider it. There's so many podcasts, online blogs etc on film. Filmmakers will flock to you for coverage which is nice.

Forgive my typos and crappy grammar. I'm writing this while outside a coffee shop.

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on May 10, 2016, 10:04:21 AM
I've never heard the term "bottle movie". What does it mean?

It's when most or all of the film occurs in one place, setting, room, ship, etc; as in contained.

The more claustrophobic or enclosed the environment, the more defined the bottle.

The Honeymooners was often an example of episodic bottle television, with everything happening in their apartment, though every once in a while they used a different setting.

Joe Bob Briggs, a good friend of mine (lie, inside joke), used a term that I always liked for Friday the 13th type moves occurring mostly in a structure in the woods.

"Spam in a cabin."

Heh.

Ciardelo

Quote from: 21st Century Man on May 11, 2016, 09:12:20 AM
It's also available free on AMZN Prime video. It sounds interesting, I took a peek at the IMDB page discussion and somebody was complaining that you can't turn Zombie until after you're dead. lol Damn people take zombies seriously!  ;D

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on May 11, 2016, 04:58:06 PM...
Joe Bob Briggs, a good friend of mine (lie, inside joke), used a term that I always liked for Friday the 13th type moves occurring mostly in a structure in the woods.

"Spam in a cabin."

Heh.
A friend of Joe Bob!  I still have my Joe Bob Briggs t-shirt commemorating the Third Annual World Drive-in Movie Festival.  I loved his reviews, and general outlook on life.

Quote from: Chine on May 11, 2016, 02:11:16 PM
Zeebo! Great films. Two favs of mine.

Btw. I have squirrel updates to share with you.

Hey 21st, as you enjoy watching a great deal of films and writing on them, have you written on them? Besides here on BG but a blog, online film/arts magazines etc.? I think you should.

I used to cover films, film festivals for a magazine a couple years back. Unfortunately, the pay isn't great unless you're with a great publication. Seeing films all day long and crafting an article, review, interviews was so much work. Yet, had to focus on the paying work.

I miss it sometimes and consider it but there's so much time to invest when you have deadlines, quick turn around. Some film companies will send you screeners, which helps.

You should consider it. There's so many podcasts, online blogs etc on film. Filmmakers will flock to you for coverage which is nice.

Forgive my typos and crappy grammar. I'm writing this while outside a coffee shop.

Hey we all do that.  No worries there, ok?  ;) :D  To answer your question. No, I do not have a blog. I'm flattered that you think my work is good enough for that.  To be honest though, my wife is pushing to me to do exactly that but like you said, it is a lot of work and even though I enjoy it immensely,  I'd have to make some money doing it.  I don't need to make a heck of a lot but I need to make some.  I'm not sure how much money can be made with a blog.  Maybe you or someone else could give me an idea. I'd like to attract a wide range of people interested in films from the casual fan to the professional critic.  If I was successful enough at it,  I'd even be willing to broaden my scope to books, music, comic books (I used to collect them and it would not be hard to get back into the habit) and some other things.

I try to write decent reviews here so should the day come that I do want to start a blog, I can move some of the reviews from here to there.

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on May 11, 2016, 04:58:06 PM
It's when most or all of the film occurs in one place, setting, room, ship, etc; as in contained.

The more claustrophobic or enclosed the environment, the more defined the bottle.

The Honeymooners was often an example of episodic bottle television, with everything happening in their apartment, though every once in a while they used a different setting.

"Spam in a cabin."

Heh.

Oh man, I was completely wrong.  :-[ :-[ :-[ I had no clue that it meant that. Thanks for explaining, Camazotz.   :D :D  Sorry,  coaster, wherever you are.  I'll try to think of some real bottle movies for you.

Twelve Angry Men is an excellent bottle movie.  The original of course.

akwilly

I would also add the movie Up. I will admit I got a little chocked up watching that one.

Quote from: Étouffée on May 11, 2016, 05:54:09 PM
A friend of Joe Bob!  I still have my Joe Bob Briggs t-shirt commemorating the Third Annual World Drive-in Movie Festival.  I loved his reviews, and general outlook on life.

Wow.  That's some impressive textile!  I would be inclined to frame that shirt for display.  Maybe wear it to special conventions/events only, and then only for a limited amount of time AND wear a protective cotton tee under it.

I love old commemorative concert/convention tees, but have ruined many by not thinking long term.

GravitySucks

Quote from: 21st Century Man on May 11, 2016, 06:16:58 PM
   Hey we all do that.  No worries there, ok?  ;) :D  To answer your question. No, I do not have a blog. I'm flattered that you think my work is good enough for that.  To be honest though, my wife is pushing to me to do exactly that but like you said, it is a lot of work and even though I enjoy it immensely,  I'd have to make some money doing it.  I don't need to make a heck of a lot but I need to make some.  I'm not sure how much money can be made with a blog.  Maybe you or someone else could give me an idea. I'd like to attract a wide range of people interested in films from the casual fan to the professional critic.  If I was successful enough at it,  I'd even be willing to broaden my scope to books, music, comic books (I used to collect them and it would not be hard to get back into the habit) and some other things.

I try to write decent reviews here so should the day come that I do want to start a blog, I can move some of the reviews from here to there.

Sorry dude. All of your thoughts are property of Vandevan Enterprises. Don't ever post a picture of your wife.

zeebo

Quote from: akwilly on May 11, 2016, 06:26:34 PM
I would also add the movie Up. I will admit I got a little chocked up watching that one.

Along those lines I'd add Wall-E & How to Train Your Dragon. 

(Ok, that's enough of that, back to "Tough Guy" mode). 

Quote from: 21st Century Man on May 11, 2016, 06:21:30 PM
Oh man, I was completely wrong.  :-[ :-[ :-[ I had no clue that it meant that. Thanks for explaining, Camazotz.   :D :D  Sorry,  coaster, wherever you are.  I'll try to think of some real bottle movies for you.

Twelve Angry Men is an excellent bottle movie.  The original of course.

You were just thinking in terms of a higher concept is all, instead of in slang terms.  ;)

GravitySucks

Amelie is the only movie I have watched more than two times. It is one of the few DVDs I own. That may change soon. I may have to watch Second Hand Lions for the third time. Or Harold and Maude.

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on May 11, 2016, 06:32:52 PM
You were just thinking in terms of a higher concept is all, instead of in slang terms.  ;)

LOL.  Yes, you are quite right!   ;D Also, nobody caught my gaffe in the post you quoted from  me.  Twelve Angry Men not Seven Angry Men.  I'm afraid everybody failed the test.  Yeah, that's the ticket!  LOL.

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 11, 2016, 06:37:27 PM
Amelie is the only movie I have watched more than two times. It is one of the few DVDs I own. That may change soon. I may have to watch Second Hand Lions for the third time. Or Harold and Maude.

Yeah, I have Second Hand Lions. Excellent film.  Caine did a much better job with the accent this time around.  You should have heard him in Hurry, Sundown. ::)