• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

trostol

i am in the middle of binging Parks and Recreation...i can't believe i waited so long ..Ron Swanson is my Patronus ..and Andy may be the stupidest character ever lol

zeebo

Quote from: trostol on March 02, 2017, 01:50:50 AM
i am in the middle of binging Parks and Recreation...i can't believe i waited so long ..Ron Swanson is my Patronus ..and Andy may be the stupidest character ever lol

I mini-binged a couple hours of that myself, first time watched, and did find myself chuckling.  The episode that stood out had them capturing a rogue possum that bit the mayor golfing.

Taaroa

Have just started watching Babylon 5. Only a few episodes into it, but it seems good so far.

zeebo

Quote from: Taaroa on March 02, 2017, 02:10:27 AM
Have just started watching Babylon 5. Only a few episodes into it, but it seems good so far.

I remember reading an early treatment of it before it launched.  I was like "This is gonna be the most amazing series ever."  For some reason I didn't really get into it when it actually came out.  Although it still has a pretty fervent cult following, almost like Firefly. 

Have you checked out The Expanse?  It was recommended to me by norland2424 and it's the best tv sci-fi I've seen since the Battlestar Galactica reboot.

GravitySucks

I binge watched the 3 seasons (39 episodes) of Defiance.

Post-apocalyptic show set in the year 2046 after the earth has been fundamentally changed due to a war with several alien species.

I thought it was pretty well done. It suffered some, especially near the end, due to low budgets so there are not hundreds of extras to fill out the screen during some scenes that begged for more.

Some good makeup, decent CGI for the alien ships and some bizarre looking creatures.

I give it a B. Available in Amazon Prime.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt2189221/

GravitySucks

Quote from: zeebo on March 02, 2017, 02:13:58 AM
I remember reading an early treatment of it before it launched.  I was like "This is gonna be the most amazing series ever."  For some reason I didn't really get into it when it actually came out.  Although it still has a pretty fervent cult following, almost like Firefly. 

Have you checked out The Expanse?  It was recommended to me by norland2424 and it's the best tv sci-fi I've seen since the Battlestar Galactica reboot.

I've seen Season 1. Decent, but I liked Defiance better.

trostol

Quote from: GravitySucks on March 02, 2017, 02:17:23 AM
I binge watched the 3 seasons (39 episodes) of Defiance.

Post-apocalyptic show set in the year 2046 after the earth has been fundamentally changed due to a war with several alien species.

I thought it was pretty well done. It suffered some, especially near the end, due to low budgets so there are not hundreds of extras to fill out the screen during some scenes that begged for more.

Some good makeup, decent CGI for the alien ships and some bizarre looking creatures.

I give it a B. Available in Amazon Prime.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt2189221/

i watched the first season of it and tried to get into the second but  just couldn't get through it..i liked the premise of it though

Taaroa

I think the thing that kills Babylon 5 is the badly aged graphics, and that it came out at the same time/has similar concepts as Deep Space 9 (and there are allegations of network heads stealing Babylon 5's concept from a pitch and using it for Star Trek). We'll see how it goes further into the series.

Yes, in fact I might've recommended it in this thread too at some point. There isn't much in the way of good scifi anymore, but the Expanse is very good (except Holden's actor).

zeebo

Quote from: trostol on March 02, 2017, 02:18:56 AM
i watched the first season of it and tried to get into the second but  just couldn't get through it..i liked the premise of it though

Yeah that's how I felt.  I could see the setup they were going for, and it had potential but I don't know what it was, I just couldn't connect to the characters.  Maybe I bailed too early.  I'm restless that way.  With my backlog of books, movies, games, and podcasts I have to be ruthless in my time mangagment.   ;)

Dr. MD MD

Does anyone watch Red Eye on Fox News? It's really their best show and it's on from 3am to 4am. It's a panel of comedians talking about the news. Good times!  ;D

BTW, Cumia is a semi-regular guest on it.  ;)

zeebo

^^ I liked it better when Greg Gutfeld was hosting, but still pretty good sometimes.  It's kind of a mirror-world Daily Show.   

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on March 02, 2017, 02:25:55 AM
Does anyone watch Red Eye on Fox News? It's really their best show and it's on from 3am to 4am. It's a panel of comedians talking about the news. Good times!  ;D

Can't say I have though I rarely watch political shows on TV.  I'll just listen to a few radio shows now and then like Rush.

Taaroa

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on March 02, 2017, 02:25:55 AM

I think the Fox News I get is like CNN in that it is some kind of international version with only the most major shows airing (eg O'Reilly). Can't stand watching it because it has these inane brief clips of either country music performances or healthcare stories in place of commercial breaks.

On a somewhat related note I also get: Sky News (UK + Local version), CNN, Bloomberg, MSNBC, BBC (international), ABC News 24, CCTV, Al Jazeera (english), RT, and NHK (english). They're all fairly shit.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 21st Century Man on March 02, 2017, 02:37:29 AM
Can't say I have though I rarely watch political shows on TV.  I'll just listen to a few radio shows now and then like Rush.

It's more comedy than political, really.  :)

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Taaroa on March 02, 2017, 02:43:38 AM
I think the Fox News I get is like CNN in that it is some kind of international version with only the most major shows airing (eg O'Reilly). Can't stand watching it because it has these inane brief clips of either country music performances or healthcare stories in place of commercial breaks.

On a somewhat related note I also get: Sky News (UK + Local version), CNN, Bloomberg, MSNBC, BBC (international), ABC News 24, CCTV, Al Jazeera (english), RT, and NHK (english). They're all fairly shit.

Here: http://www.livenewson.com/american/fox-news-channel-fnc.html

zeebo

Quote from: Taaroa on March 02, 2017, 02:43:38 AM
...On a somewhat related note I also get: Sky News (UK + Local version), CNN, Bloomberg, MSNBC, BBC (international)...

I'd like to get BBC Int'l. I only get the American-spun version which is pretty much a CNN clone.  I've always found it useful to get external views on our local happenings here.  Even if it is a humbling experience.  ;)

Taaroa

Quote from: zeebo on March 02, 2017, 02:49:27 AM
I'd like to get BBC Int'l. I only get the American-spun version which is pretty much a CNN clone.  I've always found it useful to get external views on our local happenings here.  Even if it is a humbling experience.  ;)
Generally it's not too great, but it was amazing to watch their coverage of the Brexit vote live as they went from "Brexit is impossible" through to "Oh god what have we done".

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Taaroa on March 02, 2017, 02:54:42 AM
Generally it's not too great, but it was amazing to watch their coverage of the Brexit vote live as they went from "Brexit is impossible" through to "Oh god what have we done".

Just like here. KEK!  ;D

Ciardelo

Shiney!

Slowly but steadily tunneling through The X-Files.  Currently in the middle of Season 4. 

GravitySucks

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on March 02, 2017, 04:53:39 PM
Slowly but steadily tunneling through The X-Files.  Currently in the middle of Season 4.

I started watching them for the first time as well. About 6 episodes into Season 2.

I had a pop up last night that on Netfliz that said an episode wouod only be available until April 1st.

Have you heard anything about Netflix taking them down?

That pop up might have been an artifact. I found this undated article saying they wouod be taken down April 1, 2015.

http://www.cinemablend.com/m/television/X-Files-Leaving-Netflix-Get-Details-70461.html

Yep - it appears that the pop up was just an artifact

http://decider.com/2015/03/05/the-x-files-not-leaving-netflix/

Taaroa

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on March 02, 2017, 04:53:39 PM
I think it's a show you can't watch a lot of in a row. Have tried it a few times and ended up quitting around season 3 or 4 each time.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Taaroa on March 02, 2017, 05:03:35 PM
I think it's a show you can't watch a lot of in a row. Have tried it a few times and ended up quitting around season 3 or 4 each time.

That is what I am struggling with. Haven't been able to just binge watch.

I have been trying to enjoy it, but it hasn't been as good as what I had been led to believe by many others on this forum.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: GravitySucks on March 02, 2017, 05:06:57 PM

I have been trying to enjoy it, but it hasn't been as good as what I had been led to believe by many others on this forum.

Whaaa?!  :o

Scandalous!  :D

zeebo

Sometimes the general aura of a show colors our later nostalgia.  It was edgy and creative for its time, and it dovetailed well with the pre-internet Art Bell era, but some of the individual episodes don't quite hold up these days.  Still it's a fun to catch one now and again.

GravitySucks

Quote from: zeebo on March 02, 2017, 05:19:07 PM
Sometimes the general aura of a show colors our later nostalgia.  It was edgy and creative for its time, and it dovetailed well with the pre-internet Art Bell era, but some of the individual episodes don't quite hold up these days.  Still it's a fun to catch one now and again.

I do get a chuckle out of The Men in Black

Taaroa

Quote from: zeebo on March 02, 2017, 05:19:07 PM

The Xfiles has that whole 90s aesthetic and 'everything is wet' feeling to it too. It'd be interesting to see how much of Art Bell's audience came from exposure to the show.

trostol

it had not aged well... and has a high level of suspension of disbelief (which is a weird statement in its own right)..which makes the more humorous ones easier to take on though..X-Cops, Je Souhaite, Humbug, DPO and The Amazing Maleeni are some of my faves