• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Dark Matter Network Content

Started by Textor, November 22, 2013, 10:44:43 AM

Textor

Producer Paul stated that Webmaster Keith is looking for content for the Dark Matter Network on ArtBell.com. I thought it might be good to have a separate thread to discuss matters of DMN content, both opinion of the content itself and suggestions for what should be included.

The most obvious suggestion I can make is keeping GabCast on the network, since MV has been putting on a good show and they have already transmitted them once.

I also recall another user around here creating a new paranormal podcast, though I can't recall who it was. I think that show has potential, and should also be considered.

So, other suggestions/comments?

Was the other user Bateman and his show Dark Weekend?

Here is a link to the most recent test stream page I could find.
http://artbell.com/testing-a-potential-live-streaming-solution/

onan

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on November 22, 2013, 12:49:34 PM

A few people are doing some version of a podcast.

And not to pee on the parade, but well, *sigh*... can't see a way around it. Throwing a bunch of podcasts at Artbell.com sounds fun on its face, but I think that is pretty much where it stops.

I think suggesting to Art that there is a great deal of interest to make his site a repository of podcasts might be interesting. But I would bet a bunch of money his standards would limit many that would want to try.

Not to mention so many other concerns. I have no way to know but the suggestion of Bateman's podcast Dark Weekend may have legal issues from the radio station it is sponsored by.

Somehow a potpourri of amateurish productions with a small smattering of actual talent doesn't sound like something that has a chance of success.

Quote from: onan on November 22, 2013, 12:59:46 PM
Somehow a potpourri of amateurish productions with a small smattering of actual talent doesn't sound like something that has a chance of success.

That's what they said about my Hunger Games fan fiction. And look at me now, living the good life.

onan

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on November 22, 2013, 01:01:37 PM
That's what they said about my Hunger Games fan fiction. And look at me now, living the good life.

I know man... I offered a publisher my "concept" story line: Dave Noory Private Eye. I should be rolling in dough.

klaatu

Quote from: onan on November 22, 2013, 01:05:05 PM
I know man... I offered a publisher my "concept" story line: Dave Noory Private Eye. I should be rolling in dough.

Or, perhaps, "Dave Noory, Private Dick," to use the vernacular for 'detective?"

Textor

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on November 22, 2013, 12:49:34 PM

Here is a link to the most recent test stream page I could find.
http://artbell.com/testing-a-potential-live-streaming-solution/

Yep, that's the one.

A few people are doing some version of a podcast.

And not to pee on the parade, but well, *sigh*... can't see a way around it. Throwing a bunch of podcasts at Artbell.com sounds fun on its face, but I think that is pretty much where it stops.

I think suggesting to Art that there is a great deal of interest to make his site a repository of podcasts might be interesting. But I would bet a bunch of money his standards would limit many that would want to try.

Not to mention so many other concerns. I have no way to know but the suggestion of Bateman's podcast Dark Weekend may have legal issues from the radio station it is sponsored by.

I'd argue that if we really try to up the standards and move more towards broadcast schedules instead of "weekly podcast" things, we could make this something new and different. I understand the doubt, but great things are usually built in the face of doubt.

They really need to work something out to get Bateman on there.  The segments he's done so far have been awesome, almost like listening to old Coast shows with fill in hosts.  To have him and his glorious Ross Mitchell opening on ArtBell.com would be unreal.

Edit:  I guess I'm going to email Keith about this, you guys should too.

Hey can it be possible the legend is returning?

Ravenna

Quote from: Textor on November 22, 2013, 10:44:43 AM
Producer Paul stated that Webmaster Keith is looking for content for the Dark Matter Network on ArtBell.com. I thought it might be good to have a separate thread to discuss matters of DMN content, both opinion of the content itself and suggestions for what should be included.

The most obvious suggestion I can make is keeping GabCast on the network, since MV has been putting on a good show and they have already transmitted them once.

I also recall another user around here creating a new paranormal podcast, though I can't recall who it was. I think that show has potential, and should also be considered.

So, other suggestions/comments?

I think this is a great idea.  They should gather together a roster of the best paranormal podcasts in the country, that are struggling to pay for their own websites, and have them join the stable of paranormal podcasts at Artbell.com.  I think a lot of podcasters would be into this, coz so many of them had Art as their initial inspiration for even starting up a paranormal podcast. 

As a podcast listener, it would be great to have ONE place to go to for all the best paranormal podcasts, instead of having to go to a myriad of websites.

I also think it would be a good idea for all of the podcasts to adhere to a SET schedule, and have the latest podcast broadcast be LIVE, with the possibility to take calls, and then the already recorded podcast goes onto an archive on Artbell.com.

This could become a sort of command central for all the paranormal podcasts in the country worth their salt.

Textor

Quote from: Ravenna on November 22, 2013, 11:52:29 PM
This could become a sort of command central for all the paranormal podcasts in the country worth their salt.

Especially if standards are set and adhered to-- maybe allow an occasional slip, but if a podcast can't consistently keep to standards expected by the community, they should be dropped. We don't need more Noories out there.

Just got word back from Keith that he will be contacting Bateman.  Fingers crossed.

Textor

Quote from: TheMan WhoFell ToEarth on November 23, 2013, 01:04:58 AM
Just got word back from Keith that he will be contacting Bateman.  Fingers crossed.

Good stuff :)

Paranormal is good, but what makes Arts show different from the norm was the hard science and other content.  How about some hard science podcasts?  Lots exist, from Starstuff to AstronomyCast to Qirks and Quarks.

Textor

Quote from: somatic hypermutation on November 23, 2013, 06:15:52 AM
Paranormal is good, but what makes Arts show different from the norm was the hard science and other content.  How about some hard science podcasts?  Lots exist, from Starstuff to AstronomyCast to Qirks and Quarks.

Email Keith and suggest them, then. I'd certainly not object.

HMC

The Spec Sheet is being adding to the Dark Network (Tuesdays 5pm, I think), so it wouldn't be just paranormal. You should email Keith any good science casts you know.

Looks like we get 3 shows Monday-Wednesday

Ravenna

Quote from: Textor on November 23, 2013, 12:47:44 AM
Especially if standards are set and adhered to-- maybe allow an occasional slip, but if a podcast can't consistently keep to standards expected by the community, they should be dropped. We don't need more Noories out there.

I so agree.  There should be an intense degree of assessment by whomever is deciding what paranormal podcasts are of high enough quality to be heard via Art's website.  In this way, then the Dark Matter Network becomes known for having THE BEST paranormal podcasts that exist:  not just any old podcasts, but the cream of the crop.  This would also make the Dark Matter Network the "go to" site for when a person wants to check out a new paranormal podcast and you want to be assured that you're not wasting your time; that what you're going to be listening to is going to be compelling, and worth your time, due to the standards that the Dark Matter Network adheres to. 

Oh, I so hope this happens.  It could be a great way to make the website really relevant, and in a way carry on the legacy of Art Bell until he returns himself.  (Since, as I noted before, nearly every paranormal podcaster out there lists Art Bell as a huge inspiration behind what they are doing; in some cases the primary inspiration).

Textor

I'd also love to see a podcast that would have different guests debate their points of view on the paranormal... there are a LOT of theories about stuff out there-- for instance, the Ghostbuster girls seem to believe all "demons" encountered out there (don't mean to put words in their mouths, just my interpretation from their interview) are either alien spirits or really, really bad people that have died, whereas others are certain that demons are real and are a dangerous entity to encounter.

I'd also love to hear more from parapsychologists, since at least they are trying to stick to some form of scientific rigor for their research. I'd trust most parapsychologists a lot more than half the charlatans that show up on C2C.

Ravenna

Quote from: Textor on November 24, 2013, 01:09:49 AM
I'd also love to see a podcast that would have different guests debate their points of view on the paranormal... there are a LOT of theories about stuff out there-- for instance, the Ghostbuster girls seem to believe all "demons" encountered out there (don't mean to put words in their mouths, just my interpretation from their interview) are either alien spirits or really, really bad people that have died, whereas others are certain that demons are real and are a dangerous entity to encounter.

I'd also love to hear more from parapsychologists, since at least they are trying to stick to some form of scientific rigor for their research. I'd trust most parapsychologists a lot more than half the charlatans that show up on C2C.

Agree.  *(Are you listening, Bateman?).  Loyd Auerbach is a parapsychologist.

Ravenna

Additionally, the initial podcasts posted to the Dark Matter Network should all be **live** streaming, and preferably take calls.  These podcasts should try to adhere to a schedule, so you can depend on them being on a certain day.  After the initial live broadcast, then they can be archived on the website for at least 30 days. 

Textor

Quote from: Ravenna on November 24, 2013, 01:40:24 AM
Additionally, the initial podcasts posted to the Dark Matter Network should all be **live** streaming, and preferably take calls.  These podcasts should try to adhere to a schedule, so you can depend on them being on a certain day.  After the initial live broadcast, then they can be archived on the website for at least 30 days.

The Spec Sheet will be airing every Tuesday at 8EST/5PST, so they are already taking steps down that road :)

Ravenna

And it's exactly the way that EVERY podcast that broadcasts via Art's website should have to play it:  have a set weekly time that it "airs," then archive the show for as long as the website has the storage capacity too.  I like podcasts, but never knowing when they're going to air, usually, and often not even being able to listen to them "live," makes them not as compelling as a radio show, and they *could* be if they can initially stream live, and take calls.  I do think podcasts are the cutting edge of underground radio in this country, even though, technically speaking, they are not "on the radio."  There should be a new name for a "radio" show that's only online.  Wait,... I guess that's a podcast.  Duh!

Textor

Quote from: ThruTarmac on November 24, 2013, 07:54:20 AM
Sorry if this has been posted already, but I just saw this on Art's Dark Matter Website. So far, three shows are in the bank to stream LIVE at 8pm. Awwwww yeeeah!

From the Quits Thread. Looks like we've got three, all with an official broadcast schedule :)

bateman

I have no way to know but the suggestion of Bateman's podcast Dark Weekend may have legal issues from the radio station it is sponsored by.

They have no exclusivity, but Ross voicing "WABC" might be an issue. If that's the case, I'll ask him to re-cut the line.

onan

Quote from: bateman on November 24, 2013, 11:15:15 AM
They have no exclusivity, but Ross voicing "WABC" might be an issue. If that's the case, I'll ask him to re-cut the line.

Good to hear that man. really good.

nika01

Personally, I think this idea is great. I could care less about live call in because the vast majority are a waste of time, in my opinion. True, there are some that make it a worthwhile concept, but not a deal breaker. I have listened to Martin Willis quite a bit and enjoy his gentle, non confrontational yet intelligent style.

Ghost Gab

I posted this yesterday in another thread as a reply but thought it might be good here for anyone thinking about getting into the podcast mode. It provides some basic information that allows for cheap or free podcasting on the fly. Although I do not desire my stream on artbell.com because I already have a set listener base, and it might be too boring for many, I am glad that others get a chance to be heard and artbell.com is a great avenue for that.

Repost from yesterday- Hi Snowdoggie.  Podcasting can be as simple as recording a program using a digital recorder then uploading that file to  server or website where others can play it directly on their computers. Another simple method that is free and allows for live streaming with archiving of your shows and also allows 5 callers to join your live show as well as a live chat window for listeners, is BlogTalkRadio. The free version is limited but you can purchase a monthly package for a very increased capability. But the free version is very good too. I have been on Blog Talk since 2007 hosting various type programs, mostly paranormal related. I currently just use the simple method of no-live show so I just record and upload the file on a website each week. That podcast is based on weekly space news at spacegab.com. I am also helping a new paranormal team start a Blog Talk show called Ghost Gab. We just recorded a test show and plan to do live shows soon. I've been a guest on many Blog Talk shows because of my paranormal past and early history in the craft, and TV show appearances, and have found it works well for me, even the free version. I think you'll find podcasting a very fun effort. You don't get the giant audience but it can still give you a good following depending on the type show, how you present it, and type guests you have on. Enjoy it if you do it. It can be very rewarding.

Quote from: bateman on November 24, 2013, 11:15:15 AM

That's great to hear!

littlechris

Quote from: somatic hypermutation on November 23, 2013, 06:15:52 AM

I agree, with guests/hosts/topics  like that of michio kaku, etc.