• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell Quits Dark Matter

Started by DesertFox, November 01, 2013, 08:13:24 AM

PathoJen

Quote from: littlechris on November 26, 2013, 01:40:57 AM
Nice!! Ive thought about getting a place in Brisbane,OZ so i can avoid the "winters" here in southern california. lol

Winter in So Cal?! I'm in So cal too, we have no winter to speak of! I'm at the beach and the temp is in the 60's to upper 70's 12 months a year. :)

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Agothx on November 26, 2013, 11:43:35 AM
Art Bell is like 68 years old right? with a bit of optimism he could have 30 more years on the air, he seems to be at pretty good health for his age. Read there is a 94 year old radio host still on the air:)

Maybe breathing, but little else.

DesertFox

Art Bell is like 68 years old right? with a bit of optimism he could have 30 more years on the air, he seems to be at pretty good health for his age. Read there is a 94 year old radio host still on the air:)

Well, lets get a couple of years in AND then go from there.

Agothx

Quote from: DesertFox on November 26, 2013, 11:54:44 AM

hehe, nah hes still talking, but like i said that is beeing very optimistic:) http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20130812005303/en/Oldest-Radio-Host-U.S.-Celebrates-94th-Birthday

Agothx

Quote from: Philosopher on November 26, 2013, 11:51:41 AM
Maybe breathing, but little else.
Opps was quoting the wrong, not used to this forum yet.
hehe, nah hes still talking, but like i said that is beeing very optimistic:) http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20130812005303/en/Oldest-Radio-Host-U.S.-Celebrates-94th-Birthday

Agothx

Quote from: DesertFox on November 26, 2013, 11:54:44 AM

Ya, id be happy with a couple years to start with really.

NXOEED

Quote from: Agothx on November 26, 2013, 11:17:04 AM
Love that too, and both called in on the coastgab radio stream, that was awesome, Art Bell was on for like 45 minutes:)

I found Art's interview on that podcast to be very satisfying. I think that hearing him check in like that on a podcast once a week (even once a month) could go a long way for me.

onan

Quote from: Seraphim27 on November 26, 2013, 12:03:55 AM
Hey everyone!

As long as we're on the topic of being off-topic, I thought I'd post this (epically long, sorry) off-topic update on my (youngish, 65-year-old) dad, the one who's in a semi-vegetative state in the hospital after he simply tripped and fell and managed to trigger a brain hemorrhage by doing so.

I went to hang out in his hospital room day before yesterday and he was, as usual, lying in his bed with a bunch of tubes coming out of him, mouth open, eyes open and staring at the ceiling vacantly. They had JUDGE JUDY on his little TV and it depressed the hell out me. So I was sitting there thinking, dang, if I were lost in the ether or whatever, I'd hope someone would put A RADIO by my bed and play music and YES, even Noory, instead of leaving the cheap little TV on Judge Judy, Montel and Dr. Phil all day.

So that night I made some playlists with his favorite music. I made a best-of-Fleetwood Mac/Stevie Nicks playlist and one with, gulp, some Toto songs like "Africa," and some old James Taylor songs, Bob Seger, all the stuff he liked. Then IT HURT SO BAD but I also downloaded Alabama Christmas Volumes 1 and 2 (there are TWO FRIGGIN' VOLUMES) because those were his favorite Christmas CDs that he subjected us to every year. ("Now this is good American music, kids!")

So last night I went to visit him again and, I don't know, I guess some part of me (the part that has been watching way too many movies) was hoping I'd press "Play" and the music would bring him back from wherever he was. But it didn't. I hung out for a while playing all the music and reading my Kindle and watched him rasping through tubes and staring at the ceiling.

A nurse came in and had kind of a dark conversation with me about "what you see is pretty much what you're going to get now," and she said we had to have him out of there and in some kind of a nursing home by the end of the week. She said he was no longer a candidate for physical/occupational rehab and that they were going to take the tubes out of his throat and put one directly in his stomach today. It was bleak.

After I left the hospital, I sat in my car in the parking lot and cried for a while. When I eventually stopped and looked around and got ready to drive out of there, I noticed about FIVE other people sitting in their respective cars crying over their own stuff. So much pain in one square mile, kids. :(

So tonight I go back in there, and I give him the perfunctory "Hey Dad, how are you, what's going on? How 'bout those Vikings yesterday?" etc. I sit down and start reading my Kindle and suddenly I hear this raspy "Erinn?" (That's my name.) I looked up and said, "DAD???!!!!??" He said, "Hi honey." I said, "Do you know who I am??!" and he took his hand â€" the one they said he'd never be able to move again â€" and gave me a thumbs up.

I jumped up and ran out to the nurses station and said, "HE'S AWAKE AND HE'S TALKING!" and the nurse said, "Oh honey, sometimes when he coughs, it really does sound like talking," and I said, "NO. He just called me by my name!" So she looks at me like I'm annoying and gets up and comes in his room with me, and he looks over at her and whispers/rasps, "Hi â€" I guess I'm back."

And she got really pale and said, "WELL I'LL BE DAMNED!"

Then my mom came running in the room and said, "Bart (that's his name), do you know who I am?" and he said, "Yes and I love you." It was a highly emotional moment.

We stayed for a while. He asked about his dog. Eventually he started getting really tired, so we left. I didn't want to go because I was scared he would slip away again, but you know, even if he does, at least we had that conversation with him, and he got to tell my mom â€" his wife of 44 years â€" that he loved her, and I knew she'd thought she'd never hear that again.

On my way home, I was sort of basking in that weird miraculous moment and I wanted to keep it going somehow. As I was driving, I saw this homeless guy huddled against a building in the (literally) freezing rain. I pulled over and got out and walked over to him and gave him all the cash I had, which was $44. I said, "Hey man, this is for you." He said, "You're giving me $40?" I said yeah and he said "You just pull over in your car, get out and hand me $40 for no reason??" I said "yeah, I just felt like I was supposed to. Have a nice night." He said, "You some kind of a $40 angel?" and I laughed all the way home.

Maybe my name should be Seraphim44.  ;D

So um, sorry this is another long-ass, off-topic TMI post to weed through but it has a little bit of a surreal element to it, so I thought I'd share.

Have any of you thought about what music or TV shows or whatever you'd want someone to play if you were lost in a semi-coma? I just let my brother and two good friends know that if it ever happens to me, they'd better make a kick-ass '80s playlist and throw in some Jimi Hendrix too.

I'm bummed I missed the Dark Matter Network podcast tonight, though, but I'm glad it was at least for a good reason. :)
i got a bit teary eyed, nice one, thanks.

maureen

Quote from: Agothx on November 26, 2013, 11:05:05 AM
Finally got my account activated tnx, Im a long time fan of Art Bell from Norway and didnt think Sirius XM was such a great idea since im forced to go by the pirated versions to be able to listen but hoping he can get around the non compete and be able to stream from artbell.com . I would happily pay a small membership fee too, if shows where made downloadable to members and such. I think maybe free streaming, and a membership to be able to download + an option to donate would be the ideal sollution. Some streaming sites are hugely donation based, like twitch etc, but a service like a backlog archive of shows obviously would require a membership sollution since it cost money to implement and run.
welcome, Agothx!  have fun and keep warm!!

AC400KICK

The next page will be the page from Hell in this thread!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnaFxpKtj58

maren

Quote from: urbie88 on November 25, 2013, 11:36:43 PM
Thanks!  Now I have something to listen to since I seriously can't do c2c after what happened to Art and snoory's dickishness.

Every once in a while I try to tune in if there's a guest I particularly like -- like Graham Hancock -- but I just can't do it.  I last about three minutes and I have to turn it off.  Thankfully, there are fewer and fewer guests that I'm interested in.  I can go the rest of my life without hearing the Numbers Lady, Alex Jones and other assorted whacks.

Agothx

Short UFO animation i made recently for fun in maya 3d, and score made in fl studio:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXkdaB14dt8
the full score is almost 5 minutes long, in its original tempo here:
Dramatic movie score like classical track i made a couple days ago

Agothx

The animation didnt come up as a embedded link but here it is, its quite simple but the entire scene is rendered frame by frame, no background image in use etc:

maureen

Quote from: Agothx on November 26, 2013, 12:48:59 PM
Short UFO animation i made recently for fun in maya 3d, and score made in fl studio:)
the full score is almost 5 minutes long, in its original tempo here:
Dramatic movie score like classical track i made a couple days ago
nice work, Agothx

Agothx

Quote from: maureen on November 26, 2013, 01:10:42 PM
nice work, Agothx
Tnx, i thought it would fit in a dark matter forum as well, i make a lot of music and 3d but think this actually fits here so:)

Falkie2013

Quote from: Jesus Undercarriage on November 26, 2013, 07:06:47 AM
It's true, you don't have to watch them or read the long posts. I never do.

Pity. You might learn something.
I read every post on here except those from trolls that I've blocked.

aldousburbank

Quote from: onan on November 26, 2013, 12:17:34 PM
i got a bit teary eyed, nice one, thanks.
This is off the topic of this thread dude. Here's how you do it damn newbies.

Dear Lady Seraphim,
The tears of joy which wetteth mine eyes upon reading your post hath exceeded the tears of sadness which did mire my view at Dark Matter's demise. Go forth in happiness dear friend.

How's that Mr. Spanky?

Falkie2013

Quote from: Agothx on November 26, 2013, 01:10:17 PM
The animation didnt come up as a embedded link but here it is, its quite simple but the entire scene is rendered frame by frame, no background image in use etc:

That music is a bit too ominous. I expect the alien axe murderers to land and start hacking away at any minute.
Nice job on the animation though.

munbeam666

Hey everyone!

As long as we're on the topic of being off-topic, I thought I'd post this (epically long, sorry) off-topic update on my (youngish, 65-year-old) dad, the one who's in a semi-vegetative state in the hospital after he simply tripped and fell and managed to trigger a brain hemorrhage by doing so.

I went to hang out in his hospital room day before yesterday and he was, as usual, lying in his bed with a bunch of tubes coming out of him, mouth open, eyes open and staring at the ceiling vacantly. They had JUDGE JUDY on his little TV and it depressed the hell out me. So I was sitting there thinking, dang, if I were lost in the ether or whatever, I'd hope someone would put A RADIO by my bed and play music and YES, even Noory, instead of leaving the cheap little TV on Judge Judy, Montel and Dr. Phil all day.

So that night I made some playlists with his favorite music. I made a best-of-Fleetwood Mac/Stevie Nicks playlist and one with, gulp, some Toto songs like "Africa," and some old James Taylor songs, Bob Seger, all the stuff he liked. Then IT HURT SO BAD but I also downloaded Alabama Christmas Volumes 1 and 2 (there are TWO FRIGGIN' VOLUMES) because those were his favorite Christmas CDs that he subjected us to every year. ("Now this is good American music, kids!")

So last night I went to visit him again and, I don't know, I guess some part of me (the part that has been watching way too many movies) was hoping I'd press "Play" and the music would bring him back from wherever he was. But it didn't. I hung out for a while playing all the music and reading my Kindle and watched him rasping through tubes and staring at the ceiling.

A nurse came in and had kind of a dark conversation with me about "what you see is pretty much what you're going to get now," and she said we had to have him out of there and in some kind of a nursing home by the end of the week. She said he was no longer a candidate for physical/occupational rehab and that they were going to take the tubes out of his throat and put one directly in his stomach today. It was bleak.

After I left the hospital, I sat in my car in the parking lot and cried for a while. When I eventually stopped and looked around and got ready to drive out of there, I noticed about FIVE other people sitting in their respective cars crying over their own stuff. So much pain in one square mile, kids. :(

So tonight I go back in there, and I give him the perfunctory "Hey Dad, how are you, what's going on? How 'bout those Vikings yesterday?" etc. I sit down and start reading my Kindle and suddenly I hear this raspy "Erinn?" (That's my name.) I looked up and said, "DAD???!!!!??" He said, "Hi honey." I said, "Do you know who I am??!" and he took his hand â€" the one they said he'd never be able to move again â€" and gave me a thumbs up.

I jumped up and ran out to the nurses station and said, "HE'S AWAKE AND HE'S TALKING!" and the nurse said, "Oh honey, sometimes when he coughs, it really does sound like talking," and I said, "NO. He just called me by my name!" So she looks at me like I'm annoying and gets up and comes in his room with me, and he looks over at her and whispers/rasps, "Hi â€" I guess I'm back."

Then my mom came running in the room and said, "Bart (that's his name), do you know who I am?" and he said, "Yes and I love you." It was a highly emotional moment.

We stayed for a while. He asked about his dog. Eventually he started getting really tired, so we left. I didn't want to go because I was scared he would slip away again, but you know, even if he does, at least we had that conversation with him, and he got to tell my mom â€" his wife of 44 years â€" that he loved her, and I knew she'd thought she'd never hear that again.

On my way home, I was sort of basking in that weird miraculous moment and I wanted to keep it going somehow. As I was driving, I saw this homeless guy huddled against a building in the (literally) freezing rain. I pulled over and got out and walked over to him and gave him all the cash I had, which was $44. I said, "Hey man, this is for you." He said, "You're giving me $40?" I said yeah and he said "You just pull over in your car, get out and hand me $40 for no reason??" I said "yeah, I just felt like I was supposed to. Have a nice night." He said, "You some kind of a $40 angel?" and I laughed all the way home.

So um, sorry this is another long-ass, off-topic TMI post to weed through but it has a little bit of a surreal element to it, so I thought I'd share.

Have any of you thought about what music or TV shows or whatever you'd want someone to play if you were lost in a semi-coma? I just let my brother and two good friends know that if it ever happens to me, they'd better make a kick-ass '80s playlist and throw in some Jimi Hendrix too.

I'm bummed I missed the Dark Matter Network podcast tonight, though, but I'm glad it was at least for a good reason. :)
I am very, very happy to hear about your dad's recovery, and hope that he continues to get better. About 13 years ago, my 70 something mother went into a diabetic coma which last about two weeks. Most of the doctors thought she wouldn't emerge from her coma; and if she did, they thought she would have permanent brain damage.
Well she not only emerged from the coma, there was no brain damage. Her memory, intelligence and wit survived the ordeal.
She passed away two years ago at age 88. She was a wonderful mother and was my best friend. We were lucky to have her for another 10 years

Agothx

Quote from: Falkie2013 on November 26, 2013, 01:21:21 PM
That music is a bit too ominous. I expect the alien axe murderers to land and start hacking away at any minute.
Nice job on the animation though.
Yout right, i made the track before the animation as an attempt to make a sortof horror movie score like thing and made the animation after and guess made a bit ominous version of it for the animation, but i mostly make much 'nicer' music, like this:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-tndeGLbmU

maren

Hey everyone!

Wow.  What a beautiful, uplifting miraculous story.  I read it twice, and will probably read it again.  It just fills my heart -- so thank you for that.  And I'm so touched by your angelic gift to that poor guy.  In addition to the money, you know that just make his heart sing, too.  I'm so happy for you and your family -- and for the future this brings to you all.  May you walk in love.

littlechris

Quote from: sherry440 on November 26, 2013, 10:14:51 AM
You're right! Knapp! Forgot about him since I refuse to hear C2C all the other nights!

Same here, i wont go close to the radio if I know Snoorey will be on. I did hear a little of Knapps interview the other night on the dyatlov pass. Ill try to listen to Batemans interview tonight.

Agothx

Quote from: littlechris on November 26, 2013, 01:31:26 PM
Same here, i wont go close to the radio if I know Snoorey will be on. I did hear a little of Knapps interview the other night on the dyatlov pass. Ill try to listen to Batemans interview tonight.
Personally i listen to noory now and then if the guest is interesting, some guests i will hear no matter who the host is etc, i prefer knapp over noory thou, and sad that ian punnet had to quit. I listened to noory for a few years but he did get worse and worse, he wasnt that bad in the beginning etc, at least had some good shows, but over time he seems to be listening less and less and asking more and more standard questions that doesnt jive with whats beeing said

Agothx

For the most part i think a host can surf trough a show just reflecting the guest, but to be good need at least a couple good question points and critical questioning, which art bell is the master of. Noory had shows like that but become rarer and rarer and its mostly surf trough without any criticality(new word?) nowadays

littlechris

Quote from: Philosopher on November 26, 2013, 11:33:38 AM
One great broadcaster is known
as George Knapp,
While the other George is known
for taking a nap.

HAHAHA!! NICE!! This should be put up as a quote here on the board. Speaking of, why no more upper right hand quote at the top of the page??

gbneely

Quote from: Mr. Hanky on November 26, 2013, 12:44:13 AM
You came here to get only news about Art Bell quitting Dark Matter? Good luck with that. Before today, they were talking about everything BUT Art Bell quitting Dark Matter. Don't believe me? Look it up.

klaatu

Hey everyone!

As long as we're on the topic of being off-topic, I thought I'd post this (epically long, sorry) off-topic update on my (youngish, 65-year-old) dad, t

Wow- what an experience.  Emotional for the reader as well, I might add.  I hope he'll improve and be well. 

Marc.Knight

Quote from: littlechris on November 26, 2013, 02:08:47 PM
HAHAHA!! NICE!! This should be put up as a quote here on the board. Speaking of, why no more upper right hand quote at the top of the page??

George's bumper sticker:

Got Suck?

Danger!UFO

People like Dan Rather (age 82) and Larry King (age 80) are still working. Barbara Walters is 84 and has been doing, what, 'The View', for some time now.

Art has a lot of time. It's just too bad he can't jump in and start right now. We wait!