• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell Quits Dark Matter

Started by DesertFox, November 01, 2013, 08:13:24 AM

Meanandnasty

Mr. Bell,

I just spoke to Corporate Customer Relations and told them I would not subscribe to Sirius because of this.  Please don't be milk toast and nap.  Where's that Bell fire in the belly?  You should at the least hire an attorney to negotiation the release of your non-compete.  You are not doing the genre any favors.

If you want to retire to the high desert and be with your family, I respect that, and I wish you the best, be well and be safe.

However, if there is one ounce of broadcast blood that flows, raise it to a boil, contest the non-compete, and rage through the night!!!!!!!  Do you really want to disappoint Crystal and all of the rest of your core?

M&N

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: sharkbait on November 12, 2013, 04:37:23 PM
Same here. No discussion or attempt to keep me or to renew. Acted like they couldn't be bothered once they found out why.

Precisely what I was thinking after I hung up. It was so weird that it left me taken aback.

retired41

ART AFTER ALL THIS ITS STILL UP TO YOU AND ONLY YOU IF YOU COME BACK ON LATE NIGHT TALK .

Quote from: tertiaryimam on November 12, 2013, 04:35:10 PM

Ok I'm lost. They waived the non-compete and now they're holding him to it?

Sorry I just woke up like two hours ago or something and I'm only on my 3rd cup of coffee.

I think they let him out of his contract, but the non-compete not so much.

Quote from: Art Bell on November 12, 2013, 03:50:09 PM
First of all my sincere congrats to Premiere Radio, they made the right move. Business is War
and I would have done the same exact thing, and did in my day.

Second, given the same circumstances I would make the same decision again today about Dark
Matter. There is much you do not know and I will not talk about because it was given in confidence
and I am kind of old school so I will not talk about those things even though it would help you to
understand my decision.

Third, I would love it if Sirius/XM would waive my NC but they said no and even though I could run
out and get a Lawyer and perhaps win back my freedom I will most likely not do that. If I were ten
Years younger it might be a different story, I will say this, It seems crazy as hell to me that we offered
exactly what Premiere ended up taking. Now Sirius/XM has a show that will be mostly commercials and
seems much less a good fit than Dark Matter with a Host who thinks a Typhoon in Vietnam causes rain
in Hawaii. (Last night's show, first hour)

Fourth and finally I would like to say sorry to the people who did come over either by Radio or the less
than stellar streaming, trust me I understand your anger, I only wish you had enough information to
understand my decision.

Art Bell

Art,

I can understand why Sirius took Premiere's offer instead of yours. If Sirius capitulated to your demands, who knows if in another 7 weeks you would have demanded something else. Sirius knows that at least with C2C the host won't try and humiliate the company and try to renegotiate their deal in public.

I think after some time has pass you will realize you made the wrong discussion. I loved your show and wish you didn't quit on the listeners who were with you when you started on Sirius. Maybe in a couple of years you will be back on somewhere in time...

EarthAlien007

Quote from: dan7800 on November 12, 2013, 04:32:46 PM
Coast To Coast AM
Weekdays 1 am ET
George Noory is no ordinary talk show host, not just because Coast to Coast AM is the dominant live all-night show in America today, but because George is a true radio fanatic, the ultimate "new media" personality.

http://www.siriusxm.com/indie

Awful

He's a fuckin' infomercial host.
A very bad one.

SnapT

Art, does your non-compete prohibit you from joining the cast of KEEPING UP WITH THE KARDASHIANS?

Because that seems to be an option for you now.  Ask Travis Walton.

Imagine the fun you and Bruce Jenner could have together!

zilleye

If you're referring to C2C being on 104... I would rather put a fork in my eye and light my hair on fire than listen to GN there...

Afixer

Quote from: dan7800 on November 12, 2013, 04:32:46 PM
Coast To Coast AM
Weekdays 1 am ET
George Noory is no ordinary talk show host, not just because Coast to Coast AM is the dominant live all-night show in America today, but because George is a true radio fanatic, the ultimate "new media" personality.

http://www.siriusxm.com/indie

Huh?

Awful

JayDee543

Quote from: General Johnson Jamison on November 12, 2013, 04:41:17 PM
Art,

I can understand why Sirius took Premiere's offer instead of yours. If Sirius capitulated to your demands, who knows if in another 7 weeks you would have demanded something else. Sirius knows that at least with C2C the host won't try and humiliate the company and try to renegotiate their deal in public.

I think after some time has pass you will realize you made the wrong discussion. I loved your show and wish you didn't quit on the listeners who were with you when you started on Sirius. Maybe in a couple of years you will be back on somewhere in time...

egg-zack-ly

Thoughtless move done by someone stuck in the early 1990s mentality of talk-radio negotiating.

tertiaryimam

All I can do right now to stay sane is watch endless youtube videos of cats, pugs and Russian dash-board cam hilarity.

Albedo

Art,

I respect any decision you make, however, please consider fighting to get the NC dropped. Also, is there any sort of legal twisting you could do? For instance shows on days where you weren't doing Dark Matter thus they wouldn't be competing? Would an internet stream be considered in the same ball park as having satellite radio show?

Art doesn't appear to give a shit about his fans. If he did, he wouldn't have run us through the ringer like he has. Talk about hot air.......

rarlsatan

Art, please don't go gently into that cold, dark knight.

Kolchak

Art, I'm glad you're sticking around the forums. I'd like to reiterate what's been said about you calling into the Gabcast tonight. This could be cathartic for all of us.

IcicleTrepan

Isn't it wonderful to feel forsaken

DesertFox

Quote from: Art Bell on November 12, 2013, 03:50:09 PM
First of all my sincere congrats to Premiere Radio, they made the right move. Business is War
and I would have done the same exact thing, and did in my day.

Second, given the same circumstances I would make the same decision again today about Dark
Matter. There is much you do not know and I will not talk about because it was given in confidence
and I am kind of old school so I will not talk about those things even though it would help you to
understand my decision.

Third, I would love it if Sirius/XM would waive my NC but they said no and even though I could run
out and get a Lawyer and perhaps win back my freedom I will most likely not do that. If I were ten
Years younger it might be a different story, I will say this, It seems crazy as hell to me that we offered
exactly what Premiere ended up taking. Now Sirius/XM has a show that will be mostly commercials and
seems much less a good fit than Dark Matter with a Host who thinks a Typhoon in Vietnam causes rain
in Hawaii. (Last night's show, first hour)

Fourth and finally I would like to say sorry to the people who did come over either by Radio or the less
than stellar streaming, trust me I understand your anger, I only wish you had enough information to
understand my decision.

Art Bell

Well, I called it--Art has his out to quit and can blame it on others.  Now Art will be done--nothing now and nothing in 2 years AFTER the NC.

PS--George may be a doofus but he hasn't serially dicked his fans around.  Art you are a great radio talent...but with some great flaws.  Very sad time.

If Art continued doing Dark Matter while negotiating to become an independent broadcaster so he could stream on his website, how differently would this have turned out? That seems to be the fatal mistake here, walking away from the show.

klaatu

Quote from: Meanandnasty on November 12, 2013, 01:48:06 AM
I turned off Coast, and for this evening I am a better pony.

Coast may go out to pasture for me.  I will listen to other paraentertainment.

Can't blame you. I feel sick over this.  I haven't listened to C2C in ages.  To borrow from Jack Nicholson, "I'd stick needles in my eyes..." before listening to jorch.  Especially now.

Just cancelled SXM (internet connection) with a very pleasant woman (Ruth?).  It went quickly and smoothly, but of course, will study the next CC statement.  I responded to her questioning a reason, citing Art no longer on their air.

George Noory is a corporate shill through and through. He was when he moved to LA to be closer to corporate and he still is. Is it any surprise that once again he landed into someone else's slot? Yes, it was a shrewd move and yes, Premiere was going to jump all over the chance. I wonder who contacted whom, not that it matters at this point.

This entire debacle from start to finish sucks.

Kolchak

"and all the Bellgabbers will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and I'll look down and whisper 'Stream issues."

Producer-Paul

Quote from: aldousburbank on November 12, 2013, 07:41:20 AM
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro. But when it's this effed up, the pros move to a tiny Mexican village lair with no internet. If you end up there, ask for Senor Aldous and the first cerveza will be on me. Know that I will miss throwing spitballs with you alls.
Disconnect.

Gonna miss your humor.
Be well,
Be safe.

IcicleTrepan

Should have known something was up when that prick came on here and tried to sweet talk us.  fuckin noory.  slimey snake down to the last molten pizza roll.  Noory I hope you get a perforated bowel from an overly excited male horse you drunk bastard.

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on November 12, 2013, 04:51:45 PM
George Noory is a corporate shill through and through. He was when he moved to LA to be closer to corporate and he still is. Is it any surprise that once again he landed into someone else's slot? Yes, it was a shrewd move and yes, Premiere was going to jump all over the chance. I wonder who contacted whom, not that it matters at this point.

Agree.

Quote from: Kolchak on November 12, 2013, 04:51:53 PM

"and all the Bellgabbers will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and I'll look down and whisper 'Stream issues."

Thanks Night Stalker......   I almost choked on my Diet Coke

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on November 12, 2013, 04:51:45 PM

Noory seems to know how to play corporate politics and kiss the right amount of ass. Premiere seems happy with him because he's "safe", not because he puts on a great show.

Producer-Paul

Quote from: Falkie2013 on November 12, 2013, 03:33:12 PM
Is it just me or does that picture look like something out of a lost Ren and Stimpy episode ?

I agree, 
It sure does.
Ren and Stimpy?
Oh man, that was a long time ago.

(Yes,  I'm answering posts from the distant past.  Posts from his morning)

Producer-Paul, you're a good guy. Thanks for hanging out and keeping us posted.

Quote from: SixWeekTenure on November 12, 2013, 04:54:50 PM
Noory seems to know how to play corporate politics and kiss the right amount of ass. Premiere seems happy with him because he's "safe", not because he puts on a great show.

To quote Noory: Absholutely

McPhallus

Quote from: SixWeekTenure on November 12, 2013, 04:54:50 PM

He just does what he's told.  No real opinions or thoughts other than the standard talking points.  In the end, reliable and boring own over brilliant and flaky.

Quote from: Producer-Paul on November 12, 2013, 04:55:36 PM
I agree, 
It sure does.
Ren and Stimpy?
Oh man, that was a long time ago.

(Yes,  I'm answering posts from the distant past.  Posts from his morning)

Stimpy & The Button