• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

A TV or film or literary character with which you identify....

Started by West of the Rockies, August 05, 2013, 01:05:07 PM

This thread may go down in flames, but here goes....

Are there any fictional characters with which any of you identify?  I know, for instance, that I could relate to most of the kids in the J.J. Abrams film Super 8 (probably the minor character Preston).  I was just a couple years older than them, but I did many of the same things.  I could certainly relate to being awe-struck and quite in love with the Alice Dainard character (Elle Fanning) at that age.

Now I probably relate more to Melvin Frohiki (minus the many cool and esoteric talents).   

Eddie Coyle

Almost all of my interaction with authority figures going back to childhood have been McMurphy-esque (oddly enough,that a combo of my grandmothers maiden names)

When my peers/schoolmates/kin saw "Reservoir Dogs" they all pretty much said Chris Penn's "Nice Guy Eddie" character was eerily close to my demeanor.

Great topic, West.  Funny that Eddie mentioned McMurphy, as I'd also go with a Nicholson role and say Bobby Dupea.

Sardondi

Okay, this is off the top of my head...and probably won't appeal to many (any?) people...but my Rorschach response is Samuel Johnson. Although others might say I'd be the Boswell instead.

If not a Samuel from a century earlier: Pepys. Was it the presumed fondness for maids/hookers/FWB? Obsessive wanking? Obsessive journaling? Or the encryption?

stevesh

Josey Wales. The whole revenge/personal justice thing really appeals to me.

Quote from: b_dubb on August 07, 2013, 11:29:27 AM
Steve Zissou

That's the character from "Aquatic Life", right?  My wife and I may have been in a weird mood that night... I remember trying to watch that movie, but we bailed out.  I'm not a big Wes Anderson fan.  His stuff always seems really self-indulgent, weird, and depressing.

But in what ways did you identify with that character?

In younger years I wished to think of myself as Pip in Great Expectations.  A much-beleaguered waif... I was usually in love with one unattainable girl or another.  I had no mysterious benefactor though. 

Tinfoil Hat

Lucas Jackson, although I never got so hammered I was tempted to cut the heads off of parking meters.

("Destroying municipal property?")

b_dubb

Quote from: West of the Rockies on August 07, 2013, 12:22:01 PM
That's the character from "Aquatic Life", right?  My wife and I may have been in a weird mood that night... I remember trying to watch that movie, but we bailed out.  I'm not a big Wes Anderson fan.  His stuff always seems really self-indulgent, weird, and depressing.

But in what ways did you identify with that character?

In younger years I wished to think of myself as Pip in Great Expectations.  A much-beleaguered waif... I was usually in love with one unattainable girl or another.  I had no mysterious benefactor though.
well if you MUST know ... Steve Z is a bit of a fail. maybe there was something there early on but then not so much. my life hasn't worked out all that well. and to make matters worse I don't own a red cap and a speedo

the first time I saw this movie it really didn't appeal to me. but on subsequent viewings it got better. I had a similar experience with The Royal Tenenbaums

Nucky Nolan

Has anyone seen "Road To Perdition"? I'm the unseen great-great-grandson of Irish mob boss, John Rooney (Paul Newman). My great-great-grandpa wasn't a homicidal gangster, though. He was one of the bankrollers of bootlegging.

My family certainly is not connected to organized crime these days. I never even experimented with *prohibited* drugs in my college and high school era. I drank enough to make up for it, though. I stopped not long after the time it was legal for me to buy beer.

Sardondi

Quote from: stevesh on August 07, 2013, 04:52:30 AMJosey Wales. The whole revenge/personal justice thing really appeals to me.
Quote from: UFO Fill on August 07, 2013, 09:55:33 AMEllwood Blues.
Quote from: b_dubb on August 07, 2013, 11:29:27 AMSteve Zissou
Quote from: West of the Rockies on August 07, 2013, 12:22:01 PMIn younger years I wished to think of myself as Pip in Great Expectations.  A much-beleaguered waif... I was usually in love with one unattainable girl or another.  I had no mysterious benefactor though.
Quote from: Tinfoil Hat on August 07, 2013, 02:05:15 PMLucas Jackson, although I never got so hammered I was tempted to cut the heads off of parking meters.("Destroying municipal property?")
Quote from: Nucky Nolan on August 07, 2013, 11:51:51 PMHas anyone seen "Road To Perdition"? I'm the unseen great-great-grandson of Irish mob boss, John Rooney (Paul Newman). My great-great-grandpa wasn't a homicidal gangster, though. He was one of the bankrollers of bootlegging.
My family certainly is not connected to organized crime these days. I never even experimented with *prohibited* drugs in my college and high school era. I drank enough to make up for it, though. I stopped not long after the time it was legal for me to buy beer.
Fascinating! Why can't I dream?

onan

Quote from: Sardondi on August 08, 2013, 01:49:18 AM
Fascinating! Why can't I dream?

There hasn't been a character written deeply enough for you.

Sardondi

Quote from: onan on August 08, 2013, 03:55:01 PM
There hasn't been a character written deeply enough for you.
Hah! Rather, twisted or conflicted enough.

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: Sardondi on August 08, 2013, 04:50:49 PM
Hah! Rather, twisted or conflicted enough.

I picture you as the Pennsylvania version of Fred Thompson during his stint on "Law and Order". There might be a copy of "Fifty Shades of Gray" hidden in your desk.

Sardondi

Quote from: Nucky Nolan on August 08, 2013, 07:14:43 PMI picture you as the Pennsylvania version of Fred Thompson during his stint on "Law and Order". There might be a copy of "Fifty Shades of Gray" hidden in your desk.
I tend to distrust those who write almost exclusively about sex, particularly those whose approach is clinical (and, IMO, joyless), à la Erica Jong, Gay Talese, even Henry Miller. I've just never understood it, and I find those three authors in particular too depressing for words. E.L. James I just wouldn't know.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on August 05, 2013, 02:13:03 PM

When my peers/schoolmates/kin saw "Reservoir Dogs" they all pretty much said Chris Penn's "Nice Guy Eddie" character was eerily close to my demeanor.

"out of the fuckin' bluuuuuuue!!!!!!"

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Sardondi on August 08, 2013, 11:39:25 PM
I tend to distrust those who write almost exclusively about sex, particularly those whose approach is clinical (and, IMO, joyless), à la Erica Jong, Gay Talese, even Henry Miller. I've just never understood it, and I find those three authors in particular too depressing for words. E.L. James I just wouldn't know.

The prospect of having to possibly endure Miller or Philip Roth played a significant role in switching my major to history.

Erica Jong just exudes sex. Once you go yellow...(not a racial crack, she looks jaundiced to me)

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: MV on August 08, 2013, 11:39:53 PM
"out of the fuckin' bluuuuuuue!!!!!!"

The way his eyes bulge out and he spits all over himself when he says that...that's me. I think the beer belly, bad clothes and intemperate racial remarks probably contribute a bit as well.

Usagi

Larry David.

Regardless of the fact that I'm not old, rich, male, or Jewish, I know what he's going through.  Life is just a bunch of dumb, petty crap and being forced to deal with people you don't want to deal with.  I get that, Larry.  I get that.

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: stevesh on August 07, 2013, 04:52:30 AM
Josey Wales. The whole revenge/personal justice thing really appeals to me.

I dig your taste in westerns. That one is in my personal top ten list of horse operas. One of the best (and funniest) lines came from Chief Dan George when an Indian girl beat him up in a fight that Wales stopped. "It's a good thing you stopped us; I could have killed her."

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: Sardondi on August 08, 2013, 11:39:25 PM

We like some erotica. I don't care for the gynecological and urological documentaries, though. I'm vanilla with a bit of chocolate sauce. I have a few token kinks but far fewer than the Ray Davies canon (I regret posting that).