• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Dave Schrader

Started by NowhereInTime, March 16, 2013, 06:20:57 PM

Nick el Ass

Quote from: BattyBrooke on April 10, 2015, 11:55:17 PM
This should be mailed to him on a placard.

I'm enjoying Art and Mel of Mel's Hole (January 9, 2002 interview) right now on U7.

Art just played the clip of what it would sound like if a cat went into the hole, and it gets me every time. I have a feeling only JC could enjoy an idea like that, hahaha.

Acch!  Dave is listening to Noory too much. He replied to a guest saying, "There's no doubt about it!"   ::)

I just heard a guest try to fill up/eat time.

The guests were good, but the 911 topic brought out all the freaks.

michio

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on April 11, 2015, 01:57:53 AM

sNoory and his comrade Alex Jones haven't called in to opine on the "truth," so not all.

Nick el Ass

Quote from: michio on April 11, 2015, 02:35:26 AM
sNoory and his comrade Alex Jones haven't called in to opine on the "truth," so not all.

Dave's opinion on about everything changes depending on who he is talkin with so he is just a dumbass... and not a freak.

Scully

You're right about that, GfP.  Someone must have left a door open at a mental institution somewhere. Wow!  I could have sworn one of the callers sounded like Charles Manson ... and then there were the really crazy ones.

I thought Dave Schrader (as opposed to the other "Dave") was great, as always. I really wonder if those who are panning him here have listened to him through a full Coast, as opposed to his own show.  He can be silly on his show, but he's my favorite fill-in on C2C (with all due respect to the venerable Knapp whom I also enjoy).

I couldn't help but note that on his sign-off, Dave thanked a few staff and George Noory ... and then said "And, of course, Art Bell!"  I loved that, and I bet Art wouldn't have minded it either.  ;)

Agreed.  If only the show could have stayed on the paranormal side of the guests' 9/11 experiences, it would have been great.  I had not heard the story of  the ghostly WW1 nurse offering comfort at the recovery and clean-up sites. Who was she comforting? The workers or the departed?  It was both creepy and poignant.

I like Schrader a lot; he isn't polished and "newsmany" like Knapp, but he certainly isn't doofusy and insincere like Noory.  Good Dave is engaged and clearly interested in the weird and unexplained.  He can be goofy, especially on his own "Darkness Radio" show, where he is more relaxed, but in a Minnesota Nice kind of way.  His "Lobster Boy" author interview was hysterical, riveting and memorable.

qaddisin

Quote from: Scully on April 11, 2015, 05:15:33 AM
I thought Dave Schrader (as opposed to the other "Dave") was great, as always. I really wonder if those who are panning him here have listened to him through a full Coast, as opposed to his own show.  He can be silly on his show, but he's my favorite fill-in on C2C (with all due respect to the venerable Knapp whom I also enjoy).

I've listened to two whole episodes of C2C when he has filled in: one about Amityville and the one about Lee Harvey Oswald's lover. While I found Schrader to be better than Noory, he didn't do a particularly great job of holding my attention. Of course it could have been the material, but his interview skills didn't help cover for it like Art or Knapp. Then I listened to him when he had his ghost hunting dudebro from some television show on (followed by the ghost of Evelyn Paglini), and all they really sounded like was self-absorbed douchebags (and I don't use that term very often, but it genuinely describes they way they were acting). After that, I haven't had any desire to listen to a Schrader-hosted program.

I'm not knocking your enjoyment of him. I try not to be the internet asshole that figuratively points and laughs at people for liking something. But I thought I would tell you there is at least one person who gave him a fair chance, and found him lacking.

Fair enough, qad.  I appreciate your civility.   We're all looking forward to the big Art Bell show, anyway!

Quote from: Scully on April 11, 2015, 05:15:33 AM
...I couldn't help but note that on his sign-off, Dave thanked a few staff and George Noory ... and then said "And, of course, Art Bell!"  I loved that, and I bet Art wouldn't have minded it either.  ;)

Yeah, I caught that too.  Hadn't someone phoned in earlier and asked about him being competition to George and Art?  I only caught the tail end of that conversation so not sure what it was all about.

yumyumtree

Pretty much my sentiments.  That guy from Malibu sounded like a rageaholic.

Just a reminder, most of you already probably already realize this, but just because a caller SAYS he/she has worked for the government, is ex-military, has friends in high places, etc., doesn't mean it's true.  I think some of these nut callers lie like rugs, frankly.

Was half asleep but somewhat recall hearing a caller really gushing about Schrader, it seemed like he really wanted to say that he hoped Schrader would replace Noory but couldn't quite say the words, but he did mention Art's return and that he really likes Schrader's other radio show.

albrecht

Not sure how the call-screening goes when the other Dave is hosting but I would've thought they could screen a little bit on the 911 segment. It wasn't supposed to be the 911 conspiracy show this time but about the book, the landfill and experiences of the workers there and the families of victims (regardless of who "did" 911), and the paranormal. Callers quickly devolved it into the usual "truth" stuff- I don't mind those shows (except Dr.Judy Wood) but this wasn't supposed to be that. Having said that, I like his choices in bumpers. Getting pretty "edgy" for C2C Ozzy, Metallica, etc. Wow!

zeebo

Jeez I'd really be up for a good show tonite.  But just can't get into "Ghosts & Mold".  Looks like it's an encore presentation of "Bio-Dome" for me instead.

BattyBrooke

I'll be listening tonight because, like him on a personal level or not (I don't), Schrader does't miss a detail or question and I'd really like to know about this mold. No sarcasm!

michio

Quote from: BattyBrooke on April 11, 2015, 10:20:49 PM
I'll be listening tonight because, like him on a personal level or not (I don't), Schrader does't miss a detail or question and I'd really like to know about this mold. No sarcasm!

It's an interesting question. Maybe the guest will be able to shed some (scientific?) light on it.

I was watching one of the Ghost Adventures episodes (same show Schrader was recently on in their Seattle demon-house episode) and Zak Bagans was explaining why he sometimes wears an air filtration mask. He said it's because a lot of these old buildings have nasty and toxic things in the air. It's certainly reasonable to expect unseen things like mold (known to sicken people in their homes, etc.) to be in spooky places, too.

As an aside, I recall an episode of some paranormal show that discussed carbon monoxide poisoning (primarily malfunctioning furnaces) could be one possible cause for people hallucinating about ghosts and whatnot.

goldendeal

This guest is driving me crazy with all his “and the ummm uhhhh"  "ahhh ummmm"
Come out with it already.... a single sentence shouldn't take ahhhh, ummmm, over two minutes.

Scully

Quote from: qaddisin on April 11, 2015, 09:41:57 AM
I've listened to two whole episodes of C2C when he has filled in: one about Amityville and the one about Lee Harvey Oswald's lover. While I found Schrader to be better than Noory, he didn't do a particularly great job of holding my attention. Of course it could have been the material, but his interview skills didn't help cover for it like Art or Knapp. Then I listened to him when he had his ghost hunting dudebro from some television show on (followed by the ghost of Evelyn Paglini), and all they really sounded like was self-absorbed douchebags (and I don't use that term very often, but it genuinely describes they way they were acting). After that, I haven't had any desire to listen to a Schrader-hosted program.

I'm not knocking your enjoyment of him. I try not to be the internet asshole that figuratively points and laughs at people for liking something. But I thought I would tell you there is at least one person who gave him a fair chance, and found him lacking.

Appreciate your honest opinion, Qaddisin.  I'm beginning to think I've missed some really bad episodes of Schrader on his own show.  I don't listen regularly, and when I hit an "Archie and Jughead" night, I exit quickly.  For whatever it's worth, he's now Mallie Fox free, and she was the frequent co-host who was an instant turn-off for me.

Anyhoo, I just like to say when I enjoy a fill-in host, because I'm so critical of most of the others. Trying to balance out my karma a bit.  ;)

Doesn't sound like this guy has compiled any evidence to prove his hypothesis. In fact, the one experience he had seems to confirm the supernatural.

Quote from: zeebo on April 11, 2015, 09:29:30 PM
Jeez I'd really be up for a good show tonite.  But just can't get into "Ghosts & Mold".  Looks like it's an encore presentation of "Bio-Dome" for me instead.

There are some sci-fi stories with psychic mold communicating by telepathy. Is it that exciting or something more mundane?

Dave is a colorful guy.  At least he walks the walk and is out there in the field performing his own firsthand reporting/research etc.  Not sure if the weekend hosts have any say in what guests they get to interview, but last night's first topic was a bit on the boring side, not necessarily Schrader's fault though.  He has somewhat harder taste in bumper music than the average host, definitely a departure from Noory in so many ways.

Quote from: Humilia Lepus Foramen on April 12, 2015, 11:52:44 AM
Dave is a colorful guy.  At least he walks the walk and is out there in the field performing his own firsthand reporting/research etc.  Not sure if the weekend hosts have any say in what guests they get to interview, but last night's first topic was a bit on the boring side, not necessarily Schrader's fault though.  He has somewhat harder taste in bumper music than the average host, definitely a departure from Noory in so many ways.

There's no doubt about that.

NXOEED

I came to this thread to say that I like Dave Schrader, but then I clicked on it and saw that I came here a year ago and did just that.

So, what I said a year ago.

VtaGeezer

Does Schrader book his C2C guests or is someone at C2C is trying to torpedo his weekend success with guests not even up to Noory's low threshold?

qaddisin

Quote from: VtaGeezer on May 01, 2015, 10:52:28 AM
Does Schrader book his C2C guests or is someone at C2C is trying to torpedo his weekend success with guests not even up to Noory's low threshold?

I think it's been said that he has limited input on guests. He can suggest someone, but ultimately it's up to the producers what guests he gets when he assumes the role of host.

Schraeder is tight with Joe Who so he is responsible for that particular guest tonight.  Who's a nice enough guy and may be legit but I don't want to listen to readings all night so I doubt I will be tuning in tonight.

CornyCrow

Yes.  I, too, found Joe Who very personable.  He asked a few of his callers to get in touch with him for a longer session, but I doubt if that were like someone inviting you to lunch, where they foot the bill.  Some of the callers said he was right on target, but a lot (just by the tone of their voices) seemed unimpressed.  I found it interesting when he told one guy that if he were a writer it would be in non-fiction, that he does not deal in the land of imagination, and the guy was a musician.  It just hit me as being off target.  Of course, there is a high correlation between people who are oriented toward music, math, and computers - so maybe it was a good hit.

Gassy Man

Ugh, the first guest, Christie whatever her name is, comes across as exactly the bleached-out, southern soccer mom with an unquestioning mind that makes for boring interviews.

Morgus

Even longtime caller Bill the amateur atheist astronomer called in for a reading last night...