• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

onan

Quote from: SaucyRossy on June 07, 2015, 03:24:02 AM
I wasn't answering in a sarcastic way. If it came across that way I apologize. It can be a bit hard to convey tone on a forum.

Here is my confusion with spacetime:

I can specifically point in a direction but I can't specifically point to the past or future. And that differentiates the two concepts... yeah... I know and it is hard to accept, but I am smarter than Einstein ;)

Grov505th

Quote from: SaucyRossy on June 07, 2015, 03:13:43 AM
On another subject, the reddit truthers are saying this is pictures of liquid on mars from the rover.....

It's safe to say we are all hyped up for Art to return....

I am telling you the Mars Rover is not on MARS...every Picture I see looks like the Red Desert in South West Afghanistan......

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: SaucyRossy on June 07, 2015, 03:26:21 AM
http://qz.com/370729/astronaut-scott-kelly-will-return-from-a-year-in-space-both-older-and-younger-than-his-twin-brother/

Sure, but has zero to do with light speed.

Telomeres are sections of DNA found at the end of every chromosome in your body. They serve a little bit like the end caps on a copper wire that stop it from fraying. They are also thought to play a part in aging, because they get shorter each time a cell replicates and copies its DNA into a new cell. When they get too short, replication stops, making the body susceptible to decay or cancer.
Scientists expect that radiation, weightlessness, changes in diet, and other features of life on the ISS will also make Scott Kelly’s telomeres shorten more quickly than his brother’s (pdf). Effectively, he’ll age faster.

SaucyRossy

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on June 07, 2015, 03:28:56 AM

Sure, but has zero to do with light speed.

No. That doesn't specifically. However, I wasn't saying the astronauts on the ISS were going to go close to lightspeed because that would be ridiculous. You inferred that, due to my poor writing at such a late time of night.

However, lightspeed and going close to the speed of light has plenty to do with relativity which as you correctly stated would "theoretically" be akin to traveling into the future. Though, I was being glib while stating that we've basically proven it.

Though I guess that was too dim to translate across the pond this late at night.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: SaucyRossy on June 07, 2015, 03:34:22 AM
No. That doesn't specifically. However, I wasn't saying the astronauts on the ISS were going to go close to lightspeed because that would be ridiculous. You inferred that, due to my poor writing at such a late time of night.

I was quoting you before you edited it; and the irony is that we're discussing time; it's 10:37 in the morning here.

However, lightspeed and going close to the speed of light has plenty to do with relativity which as you correctly stated would "theoretically" be akin to traveling into the future. Though, I was being glib while stating that we've basically proven it.

Though I guess that was too dim to translate across the pond this late at night.

The CHC might come up with loads of proven/disproven theories that come about with experiments; And actually prove nothing about making humans being zapped at light speed. Have to wait and see.

SaucyRossy

Quote from: onan on June 07, 2015, 03:27:21 AM

I can specifically point in a direction but I can't specifically point to the past or future. And that differentiates the two concepts... yeah... I know and it is hard to accept, but I am smarter than Einstein ;)

well the fourth dimension theoretically solves that problem for you. You would be able to point in the direction, the space, the spot, and the exact time period you wanted all at once and just pop in like some sort of The Dude's excellent adventure.

jazmunda

Quote from: (Redacted) on June 07, 2015, 03:19:58 AM
I wonder how the human body could even withstand light speed travel.

Inertial dampeners. Haven't you watched Star Trek?

SaucyRossy

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on June 07, 2015, 03:41:08 AM
I was quoting you before you edited it; and the irony is that we're discussing time; it's 10:37 in the morning here.

The CHC might come up with loads of proven/disproven theories that come about with experiments; And actually prove nothing about making humans being zapped at light speed. Have to wait and see.

I'm not sure what edit you're referring to. The CHC was also supposed to discover all sorts of new elements and the like. Like you said, we shall see.

Quote from: wotr1 on June 07, 2015, 03:10:13 AM
Even if we could find the exact place the earth was in, I would worry about things such as continental drift and erosion.  To suddenly materialize the middle of a now non-existent mountain, the bottom of an ocean or  200 feet above the earth would be more than a little problematic...  I'm sure there would be a way to "see" what was on the other side- but that is a question for somebody much smarter than me.

It's really confusing to see gnoory's avatar out of the corner of my eye while reading an intelligently written post.

Quote from: (Redacted) on June 07, 2015, 03:19:58 AM
I wonder how the human body could even withstand light speed travel.

We're always travelling near light speed relative to something.

onan

Quote from: jazmunda on June 07, 2015, 03:43:59 AM
Inertial dampeners. Haven't you watched Star Trek.

They always (modestly) refrain from discussing inertial diapers.

Quote from: onan on June 07, 2015, 03:04:22 AM
I am not an astrophysicist... where is AO, when you need him? but my understanding is our solar system's speed while traveling through space isn't a constant, but is an increasing number. And where we started from isn't a place we will revisit.

There's no fixed reference point in space so you would have to establish one somehow, hopefully in a convenient reference frame moving along with the Earth.  I think you're tangentially referring to the acceleration of cosmic expansion, but that effect is negated within the local group of galaxies.  The problem you might have with establishing a reference frame is that everything is moving in circles and orbits and wobbles instead of travelling along in nice straight lines, which means continuous acceleration vectors.  The Earth is spinning, precessing, orbiting a common barycenter with the moon, which is orbiting the sun, which is orbiting the Milky Way, which is locked in a death spiral with the Andromeda galaxy, which is all being shunted along by large scale gravitational effects on the Virgo galactic cluster.

Anyway, I'm not reading these posts in order so not really sure what you were asking.

Lilith

Quote from: k-rowland on June 06, 2015, 11:14:15 PM
If any one would like an update from the After Show I did last night, here it is:

http://artbell.com/after-dark-after-show-wkeith-rowland/

I really enjoyed that ! Thank You Keith.

thexfile

Quote from: SaucyRossy on June 07, 2015, 03:13:43 AM
On another subject, the reddit truthers are saying this is pictures of liquid on mars from the rover.....

It's safe to say we are all hyped up for Art to return....

Looks like the dark stain has a higher pixel count.

Rockaria

Quote from: k-rowland on June 06, 2015, 11:14:15 PM
If any one would like an update from the After Show I did last night, here it is:

http://artbell.com/after-dark-after-show-wkeith-rowland/

Fun info on the production set-up, Keith! Thnx!! /ja

wr250

but if einstein had a computer...

onan

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on June 07, 2015, 04:33:03 AM
There's no fixed reference point in space so you would have to establish one somehow, hopefully in a convenient reference frame moving along with the Earth.  I think you're tangentially referring to the acceleration of cosmic expansion, but that effect is negated within the local group of galaxies.  The problem you might have with establishing a reference frame is that everything is moving in circles and orbits and wobbles instead of travelling along in nice straight lines, which means continuous acceleration vectors.  The Earth is spinning, precessing, orbiting a common barycenter with the moon, which is orbiting the sun, which is orbiting the Milky Way, which is locked in a death spiral with the Andromeda galaxy, which is all being shunted along by large scale gravitational effects on the Virgo galactic cluster.

Anyway, I'm not reading these posts in order so not really sure what you were asking.

You pretty much have it, the point is time travel not only needs a date but an exact point in space. The speed at which the solar system is traveling at was just identifying a variable to consider.

Ms. C

Quote from: brig on June 07, 2015, 04:39:13 AM
I really enjoyed that ! Thank You Keith.
I 2nd this, Keith explained so many details that I never would have thought of, regarding what goes on behind the scenes between Art and Keith (technically) and equipment they utilize and how it gets to the end-user (or end listener, in this case). 

Thank you Keith for putting it out there in a way that so many of us could understand, no matter what technical level of we are it.   I really did appreciate learning.

onan

Quote from: wr250 on June 07, 2015, 05:41:29 AM
but if einstein had a computer...

Oh, he had one, my friend. Just look at the data.

wr250

Quote from: onan on June 07, 2015, 05:51:37 AM
Oh, he had one, my friend. Just look at the data.
he ignored the computer though, it kept saying 19.5 over and over again.
as far as time travel and ending up in empty space is concerned, it depends on the method of travel. exceeding the speed of light requires acceleration and therefore you have to move away from then back to the point in space you wish to (re)visit (exceeding the speed of light moves you backward in time supposedly).
if you use gravity, that will bind you to the earth (for example) because time does not affect gravity; however gravity affects time.

maybe AO or astroguy can set us straight.

nika01

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on June 07, 2015, 04:21:45 AM
We're always travelling near light speed relative to something.

a profound thought

WhiteCrow

What the heck, I thought I controlled what we discuss. I woke up expecting to see solutions for paying off the national debt. Let's get back on topic. Would it be possible to time travel into the future, rob a bank and return to the present with enough inflated US dollars to pay off the national debt?

nika01

Quote from: WhiteCrow on June 07, 2015, 07:14:32 AM
What the heck, I thought I controlled what we discuss. I woke up expecting to see solutions for paying off the national debt. Let's get back on topic. Would it be possible to time travel into the future, rob a bank and return to the present with enough inflated US dollars to pay off the national debt?

If you can time travel, there is no now, no current time that represents the most time elapsed from a beginning reference point.

Pick a time when there are no wars, money problems, and good pizza is easily available and stay there.

cweb

Quote from: nika01 on June 07, 2015, 07:22:12 AM
If you can time travel, there is no now, no current time that represents the most time elapsed from a beginning reference point.

Pick a time when there are no wars, money problems, and good pizza is easily available and stay there.

I'm in. As long as there aren't any people who say "nuke-u-ler"

serenity

I would hate to time travel. I look bad enough now I wouldn't want to see me 20, 30 years from now lol But good pizza now.........

ks3484

Quote from: munbeam666 on June 06, 2015, 08:53:30 PM
How about a Wednesday night paranormal dating service?

Well, I think that anything is game. If you can get someone on the Paranormal or Metaphysical side to cross over and date you or anyone else then I say go for it! I would think though that you'd have to be a little flexible on payment, the date and time because your ethereal guests or dates undoubtedly; have people to kill, task to complete, places to fly to, someone to scare, and other things to do....

WhiteCrow

Nah in the future... I'd be like a no nothing Hillbilly. If I return to the present with a pile of cash, I'd be somebody.  Btw back to my topic of choice. We need inflation to return, to devalue the national debt, but the rub is, we can't afford to pay the higher interest on the national debt that would come along with higher inflation. We're in a national Catch 22.

AZ/CO

Pick a time when there are no wars, money problems, and good great pizza is easily available and stay there.

fixed

If George Noory could time travel, he would still most likely buy pizza bites, microwave them too hot, and suffer his burns.
If Tommy could time travel, he'd buy the pizza bites before George did, but George would have bought corn nuggets and suffered burns.
If Art could time travel, he would have kept at least one dinosaur alive, stopped the Kennedy assassination, and told the doomed Challenger passengers to get off the spacecraft before the launch.
Because Art does what matters.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: HorrorReporter on June 07, 2015, 09:10:54 AM
If George Noory could time travel, he would still most likely buy pizza bites, microwave them too hot, and suffer his burns.
If Tommy could time travel, he'd buy the pizza bites before George did, but George would have bought corn nuggets and suffered burns.
If Art could time travel, he would have kept at least one dinosaur alive, stopped the Kennedy assassination, and told the doomed Challenger passengers to get off the spacecraft before the launch.
Because Art does what matters.

There are many many things that might be prevented before those; such as the assassination of Franz Ferdinand; the birth of Adolf Hitler; the birth of Pol Pot; the birth of Saddam Hussain, GW Bush and T Blair; the birth of Facebook; the invention of cd's and cheap tools.