• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

serenity

Quote from: PrairieGhost on May 08, 2015, 02:11:07 PM
Yes, This is the best one I've heard so far and It'll be hard to beat if Art can't use Spooky Matter.

How about Spirit walk in the Desert?

Quote from: jazmunda on May 08, 2015, 01:01:21 AM
Thanks. I'll call Bob Crane in the morning.

Anyone buying a shortwave radio, save your receipt

Quick Karl

Quote from: nextgen.fm on May 07, 2015, 11:02:47 PM
a fine radio, i have one too :) go ahead and just punch it right in  as 5085 khz art gave the frequency in mhz  5.085 mhz = 5085 khz and you enter the frequency in khz on your sony!

Thanks for the clarification! I hope I can get a decent signal - I am just a little bit east of Austin.

Does anyone know what time of day Art will be broadcasting?

Quick Karl

Quote from: Quick Karl on May 08, 2015, 02:30:57 PM
Thanks for the clarification! I hope I can get a decent signal - I am just a little bit east of Austin.

Does anyone know what time of day Art will be broadcasting?

;D ;D ;D ;D I hate to say I was thinking along the same lines -- hope this episode lasts longer than 30-days.

Catsmile

Yeah Yeah SW...
I refuse to get psyched up until I can listen to Art through a razor blade, coil of wire, speaker, and a potato.  Because nostalgia, back before radios were all fancy with knobs and stuff. The static and crackle pure bliss... ahhh.   :o

I'm BIG on radio, luvz me some Art on the radio!
How do I listen to Art on the radio?  ::)

I feel like the only fag who couldn't wait to get away from AM radio.
I started listening to Art over the intertubes around 1997.
The occasional buffering at 24-32Kbs was much better than AM drifting in and out due to all kinds of "stuff." 

Quote from: MV on May 08, 2015, 11:04:16 AM
********@gmail.com

Would I be able to hear the show on my Uniden Bearcat 355C 800 MHz mobile scanner?

That is a serious question sent to me, btw. 

I'm getting a lot of emails about this shortwave announcement.  This has people really excited.

I'm considering picking up a radio later this year to take advantage of this. 

PS The new favicon is killing me.

Alienmojo

Quote from: NXOEED on May 08, 2015, 10:11:29 AM
I got the Conet set too. Got it @ Rhino in Santa Monica back in the day. They've got the whole thing up for free at archive.org, which felt like kind of a slap in the face at the time because I paid a ridiculous amount of money for it. But now I'm grateful it's up. My ringtone is the 7 gong station irdial.

https://archive.org/details/ird059

But it's so much more fun to catch numbers stations in the wild on shortwave.
I think at the time, 10 years ago?, I paid $70 for it. :(

Canned Heat

Ahhh Arthur

It's good to be King

Waiting
Your humble listener

serenity

Quote from: Catsmile on May 08, 2015, 02:33:27 PM
Yeah Yeah SW...
I refuse to get psyched up until I can listen to Art through a razor blade, coil of wire, speaker, and a potato.  Because nostalgia, back before radios were all fancy with knobs and stuff. The static and crackle pure bliss... ahhh.   :o

I'm BIG on radio, luvz me some Art on the radio!
How do I listen to Art on the radio?  ::)

I feel like the only fag who couldn't wait to get away from AM radio.
I started listening to Art over the intertubes around 1997.
The occasional buffering at 24-32Kbs was much better than AM drifting in and out due to all kinds of "stuff."

Yeah but forgive my nostalgia....There's magic in the static 😉

Canned Heat

Quote from: serenity on May 08, 2015, 03:02:38 PM
I love that
Magic in the Static
Wow

Canned Heat

Art Bell and his Magic Desert Static

Poetry

Canned Heat

Who'd have thought that more than a decade later there'd be magic at midnight?

His Majesty has no idea just how magical he is.  Was.  And will be.  I can hardly stand this waiting, but I have and I will. 

Roswells, Art

Quote from: Canned Heat on May 08, 2015, 03:16:08 PM
Who'd have thought that more than a decade later there'd be magic at midnight?

His Majesty has no idea just how magical he is.  Was.  And will be.  I can hardly stand this waiting, but I have and I will.

He has said he knows he's good. So he is not unaware of how great he is at what he does on the radio.  And yes, this is so wonderful that he is coming back.

btw, Canned Heat! Woo!

coaster

Canned Heat

Quote from: Roswells, Art on May 08, 2015, 03:19:05 PM
He has said he knows he's good. So he is not unaware of how great he is at what he does on the radio.  And yes, this is so wonderful that he is coming back.
That's such a cute reply Roswells. 

Most people who know they're good need the attention to keep that power trip fueled.  What his thoughts were on just that point would be yummy to hear. 

He is an enigma and the omega.

Canned Heat

Quote from: coaster on May 08, 2015, 03:25:15 PM
say that three times fast.
lol
When you try, by the third time I swear you make the perfect Noory sound!

Canned Heat

Quote from: Roswells, Art on May 08, 2015, 03:19:05 PM
He has said he knows he's good.
btw, Canned Heat! Woo!
Goin up to the country baby!

Now don't all you bitches stay up too late!

Lt.Uhura

Quote from: Paper*Boy on May 08, 2015, 02:22:15 PM
Anyone buying a shortwave radio, save your receipt
No need to spend a lot of money on new stuff.  Older radios with SW are ubiquitous.  Check your attic, local thrift store, etc.

Coz

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on May 08, 2015, 03:35:24 PM
No need to spend a lot of money on new stuff.  Older radios with SW are ubiquitous.  Check your attic, local thrift store, etc.

E-bay....

serenity

Quote from: Canned Heat on May 08, 2015, 03:34:39 PM
Goin up to the country baby!

Now don't all you bitches stay up too late!

Wow! Someone who knows Alvin Lee

Roswells, Art

Quote from: Canned Heat on May 08, 2015, 03:29:55 PM
That's such a cute reply Roswells. 

Most people who know they're good need the attention to keep that power trip fueled.  What his thoughts were on just that point would be yummy to hear. 

He is an enigma and the omega.

ok, I'll try to find it. give me some time though

Lt.Uhura

Quote from: Coz on May 08, 2015, 03:36:20 PM
E-bay....
Lol, as it's known to rare vinyl collectors: 'eVil-Bay'

The General

Apparently Art's getting inundated with requests from AM stations that want to carry the show.  Gee, wonder why.

Catsmile

Quote from: serenity on May 08, 2015, 03:02:38 PM

More power to all who enjoyed listening through all of AMs shortcomings.

The radio is magic stuff wore off when I was around 11. Stumbling across number stations and woodpecker broadcast were truly COOL to a young mind, especially having only my imagination to guess what it was that I stumbled across. Hearing a female voice repeat numbers in Spanish, with burst of Morse code. Writing the number down trying to decode them... yeah all that. However it quickly wears thin once you realize the key to decrypt the code could be almost anything. Even if you could decrypt the code they would be smart enough to be vague, unless you have proper context. That shit does make an 11 year old boys mind spin wild fantasies, about spy vs. spy. Especially before the internet, or any source of information. The adult reality is anything but James Bond.

Just as there are people who love vinyl, more power to them. They are enamored and placated by the rituals that come with dealing with the medium. They may even find the harmonic distortions inherent with vinyl pleasing to the ear, if mastered well it can sound pleasing. While those folks are tinkering around with the large album art and disc, I'll be enjoying the music in my chair with a remote in hand. 

Some people also sympathize with those who capture them, and in time won't try to regain their freedom. The human capacity to get use to anything, and miss it when it's gone always amazes me. Such keeps the world from being boring, I reckon.

S. R. Hadden

Art's decision to end "Dark Matter" on SiriusXM was a good one.  They would have never fixed the streaming problems.

Whether you're a SiriusXM subscriber or not you may be interested in reading about their latest Internet streaming debacle.  Just check out the comments in the App Store. They pushed an update to their iOS and Andriod apps and updated their web based streaming page in April and its been nothing but trouble.  And they haven't fixed it yet.

To describe it as an "Epic Fail" would be an understatement.

coaster

Quote from: The General on May 08, 2015, 03:42:43 PM
Apparently Art's getting inundated with requests from AM stations that want to carry the show.  Gee, wonder why.
what a problem to have..way to go Art.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: Roswells, Art on May 08, 2015, 03:39:24 PM
ok, I'll try to find it. give me some time though

I thought I had read it on this thread but I just quickly skimmed through Art's posts and don't see it. This will take more time than I thought. I'll find it though, somehow.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: S. R. Hadden on May 08, 2015, 03:46:58 PM
Art's decision to end "Dark Matter" on SiriusXM was a good one.  They would have never fixed the streaming problems.

Whether you're a SiriusXM subscriber or not you may be interested in reading about their latest Internet streaming debacle.  Just check out the comments in the App Store. They pushed an update to their iOS and Andriod apps and updated their web based streaming page in April and its been nothing but trouble.  And they haven't fixed it yet.

To describe it as an "Epic Fail" would be an understatement.

i started listening to opie and anthony during their first week at xm.  that was well over ten years ago.  throughout their tenure on the platform they complained about the company's web streaming issues, so it's not as if art just made all of this up out of the blue.  the company was notorious for its inability to deliver content reliably online.  if MITD in july 2015 is the result, i'm glad art left them, too.  an independent operation is what i was hoping to see from art to begin with.