• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Mr. Rice & Beans

Started by JustOneFix, March 18, 2011, 12:57:38 AM

JustOneFix

I really don't know how this tool got an on air radio gig. If you don't know who I'm talking about, it's Dave Ramsey.

His usual answer for every question- "Rice & Beans, Beans & Rice" or "sell your car and buy a cheaper car"

yes I'm debt free, but I'm not calling in to his program to announce it.

What say ye about Dave "I like beans because they make me fart" Ramsey?

haloedorchid

Lol, you nailed it. Beans and rice. Don't forget the oft-suggested second job of delivering pizzas or throwing papers. Even though most people these days are lucky if they have ONE job. And good luck holding down two jobs and working all hours of the day subsisting solely on beans and rice.

aldousburbank

Quote from: JustOneFix on March 18, 2011, 12:57:38 AM
His usual answer for every question- "Rice & Beans, Beans & Rice" or "sell your car and buy a cheaper car"

I love beans and rice, but what about the salsa Dave?

The General

Actually I really like his show/advice.  My parents were horrible about money and I learned their bad habits, so Dave had to step in and school me.  It's common sense stuff, but some people need it.  I did.

When I started listening to Dave, I had 30k in debt, no savings, no house.
Now 5 years later, I'm debt free and have about 50k in equity and 20k in savings.
So... not for everybody, but it was the advice I needed at the time that I needed it.

C110

Just one of my biggest gripes about Ramsey is when he tells callers they have a income problem.....they "simply" need to increase their income.  He acts as though descent or high paying jobs grow on trees.  He over simplifies people's income problems and dishes out common sense answers.

I think Clark Howard has a more broader and realistic view and gives better advice than Ramsey.

Digitech

I think he gives sensible advice and has a decent personality. The problem is, after you've listened to his program for a week, you've heard everything there is to hear. The area he gives advice on is quite narrow -- Personal financial responsibility, then a little bit of entrepreneur/business management. That's all.

Is Bruce Williams still around? He did much the same thing, but with a broader focus. I seem to remember that he would give primarily advice on personal finance and real estate, but would also do commentary on news and events.

Anita

The General wrote:
     Now 5 years later, I'm debt free and have about 50k in equity and 20k in savings.
     So... not for everybody, but it was the advice I needed at the time that I needed it.

Many congrats!  Did you call into the show and shout that you are debt free?  I love Dave Ramsey.  I enjoy the callers and am touched by many of their stories!

The General

Quote from: Anita on March 18, 2011, 08:26:23 PM
The General wrote:

Many congrats!  Did you call into the show and shout that you are debt free?  I love Dave Ramsey.  I enjoy the callers and am touched by many of their stories!
Thanks for the congrats.  A 100k difference in your personal finances is pretty good, I think.  And I don't make all that much so it hasn't been easy.  I just keep going.  Did I call in?  No.  As addicted as I am to many talk radio shows, I have never called and been on the air. 

Marc.Knight

Quote from: C110 on March 18, 2011, 03:47:20 PM
Just one of my biggest gripes about Ramsey is when he tells callers they have a income problem.....they "simply" need to increase their income.  He acts as though descent or high paying jobs grow on trees.  He over simplifies people's income problems and dishes out common sense answers.

I think Clark Howard has a more broader and realistic view and gives better advice than Ramsey.

This is an interesting thread.  I agree about Clark Howard, and he deserves his own thread IMO.  I've never heard Ramsey, but The General's experience is indicative of the power of radio.  General, I had a similar experience, but my advice was obtained from a Christian talk show with a similar format.

Anita

Quote from: The General on March 18, 2011, 09:06:24 PM
Thanks for the congrats.  A 100k difference in your personal finances is pretty good, I think.  And I don't make all that much so it hasn't been easy.  I just keep going.  Did I call in?  No.  As addicted as I am to many talk radio shows, I have never called and been on the air.

I completely understand about being addicted to talk radio.  I haven't called in, but I do email in.  However, if I were debt free, I would be calling Dave and shouting!  But I will do that--maybe in the next year or so.  I was very stuuuuupid and fell in love with a new Toyota Tacoma that I bought as a second car and am paying off.  lollol

onan

There is a simple secret to financial security... it doesnt take a talk show guru to teach it.

In my experience Clark Howard does give pretty good advice but sometimes it seems (to me) that his points are not nearly as financially beneficial as he paints. I remember a show several years ago that was talking about banking fees and how it was important to understand what those fees were for... Well yeah but for the average guy making less than a hundred grand banking fees are not the monster that is eating the boat.

Simply put... live below your means. The work I do brings a number of people in that are distressed over severe financial issues. Many of those issues are predicated on buying more than one can afford.

Bleh imma talking too much.

fysisist

hahaha... this is the second best thread I've found on CoastGab.  Not only is D"BnR,RnB"R annoying, he's all over the radio in afternoons.  His show comes on at least three stations in my area, one of them on XM.  i agree, one week and you've heard the entire litany of American financial woes, and of course his advice is all stuff our parents should have taught us.  After that, the show is like nails on a chalkboard cause the same sad sacks call in hour after hour.  He likes to rant about how he would never speculate on gold/silver/precious metals because it is too much like gambling.  I think maybe this is more indicative of his strong Christian leanings rather than sound financial advice.  He's gonna have a big following because, like some other radio talk show hosts, he has a strong opinion and is gonna attract people who don't think for themselves.

The General

Quote from: fysisist on May 28, 2011, 01:27:33 PM
hahaha... this is the second best thread I've found on CoastGab.  Not only is D"BnR,RnB"R annoying, he's all over the radio in afternoons.  His show comes on at least three stations in my area, one of them on XM.  i agree, one week and you've heard the entire litany of American financial woes, and of course his advice is all stuff our parents should have taught us.  After that, the show is like nails on a chalkboard cause the same sad sacks call in hour after hour.  He likes to rant about how he would never speculate on gold/silver/precious metals because it is too much like gambling.  I think maybe this is more indicative of his strong Christian leanings rather than sound financial advice.  He's gonna have a big following because, like some other radio talk show hosts, he has a strong opinion and is gonna attract people who don't think for themselves.

Yeah, I'm not excited about the JESUS aspect of the show, I really don't care much for that.  But I like his show because it is common sense in a sea of messages about how we need to spend spend spend and borrow to do it.  Debt has ruined this country, be it personal, business, or Gov't debt... we're all up shit creek financially.  I wish more people had the common sense to live within their means.  Like you said, it's all stuff our parents SHOULD HAVE TAUGHT US.  Interesting how the affluence of the mid-late 20th century made parents forget to teach their children about being thrifty- a word not ever used anymore. 

onan

Quote from: The General on May 28, 2011, 01:52:35 PM
Yeah, I'm not excited about the JESUS aspect of the show, I really don't care much for that.  But I like his show because it is common sense in a sea of messages about how we need to spend spend spend and borrow to do it.  Debt has ruined this country, be it personal, business, or Gov't debt... we're all up shit creek financially.  I wish more people had the common sense to live within their means.  Like you said, it's all stuff our parents SHOULD HAVE TAUGHT US.  Interesting how the affluence of the mid-late 20th century made parents forget to teach their children about being thrifty- a word not ever used anymore.

Very good point General. It staggers me that it was suggested the best way to support our country was to go shopping.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

The General

Yes, it's really the sad part of capitalism.  Still, better than communism, but this cult of conspicuous consumption at all costs is really corrupting our culture.

fysisist

I'm with you there, but I don't understand why many/most people can't figure out that eventually living above your means will end badly?  I had my own experience with debt and once was enough for me.  But people that I know just seem to think it's the American way, spend, spend, spend.  I don't get it.  Maybe it's time to invest in beans & rice futures.

MV/Liberace!

i'm with you on the one week thing with dave ramsey.  i listened literally for about a week before i began asking myself, "is this a replay?"

JustOneFix

The Jesus aspect of the Ramsey show is a bit hokey IMO.

The whole thing of living below your means is spot on! I know someone who makes decent money but pisses it away on $500 pair of shoes, trips from FL to CA to see Nine Inch Nails, etc. Then she complains that she won't have a retirement. I told her "Quit spending money like a drunken sailor and put it away. A $40 pair of shoes will work just as well as the $500 ones that you are likely buying to impress people who don't give a shit about what brand of shoes you have on."

I live in a very modest home, drive used cars exclusively, eat at home more than I eat out, etc and I'm set to retire at 45. I'm 32 now.

This isn't to say I don't have a good time, I do go out to eat and take vacations etc but if you spend wisely and conservatively anyone can be able to put a few bucks in the bank.

I'm bored so I'll give you a few of my tips:
Hit up places like Aldi, Sam's, Costco
Buy your produce at the produce stand or grow your own.
If you enjoy going to bars and have a DD, drink up before you leave the house if your intent is too get fitshafed. Buying one or two bar drinks is cheaper than buying 9 or 10.
Avoid any businesses with the Northern European Architecture or Chateau style feel. These businesses charge twice as much for the same item you can get elsewhere. The Chateau style feel is a No. 2 hook used to reel in yuppies and other culture swines.

When going to a buffet, take your favorite GI issue field jacket and put ziploc bags in every pocket. These will serve as a depository for the food you take off your plate to carry home for later.

Buy in bulk- I buy soaps, paper toweling, etc by the case and it saves money. I do the same thing with cigarettes.

The General

Seriously.  Nice post.  I disagree with this one though....

Quote from: JustOneFix on May 29, 2011, 10:24:20 AM
When going to a buffet, take your favorite GI issue field jacket and put ziploc bags in every pocket. These will serve as a depository for the food you take off your plate to carry home for later.

I'm not THAT cheap.  That's something retirees in Florida do at the early bird buffet.  The idea of stuffing muffins and chicken in my jacket just feels dirty. 

I DO however, get almost everything at thrift stores.  Books, games, clothes, shoes, dishes, tools, furniture, pretty much any household item.  I even got my piano there for $100.  I probably save ten thousand dollars a year buying second hand things.

Yesterday I needed a book on home electrical wiring repair.  The one at the book store was 29.95, I went to Goodwill and got a better one for $3.  Sweet!

fysisist

Your are all great, great stuff!  I take great pride in finding the absolute rock-bottom lowest price on almost anything of significance I buy.  Never mind that it takes me two days to find this absolute rock-bottom price or that I could have got a pretty good price and also cleaned the garage in that time...

JustOneFix

I collect books of various topics and unless it's off the $3 shelf at Books a Million(their savings club doesn't save you squat) I don't buy books at the large booksellers.

Instead I look around on Abebooks.com, and the used section on Amazon. I also go to the used music stores and get CD's if I can't find the songs I'm looking for online.

The General- I hear ya on thrift stores! Excellent places to buy stuff and most of the time I find merchandise I can make a profit on. I buy alot of "uniform clothes" at the flea market for working in the garage. 50 cents for a shirt and 50 cents for a pair of shorts is a good deal and those uniforms are heavy duty material.

Usually I'll buy my boots at the Army/Navy Surplus, same with jackets. Socks and other unmentionables at Target, jeans at Tractor Supply or thrift store. Shirts come from concerts, the clearance rack at Target or Sears. I don't have any suits or a pair of Dockers for that matter. If I can't go somewhere with jeans & combats on, I don't go. yet another way of saving money.

When I traveled for my job I'd hit up farm auctions for the tools & so forth. There's something kick ass about buying a set of Starrett Micrometers still in the wooden box for $20- when the same set would cost you over $500 if you had to order thru one of the tool suppliers.

Cross post to restaurants I miss thread, but Kmart had an absolute stellar breakfast deal at their snack bar. 2 eggs, toast, hash browns, coffee for $1.59.

Same with Bill Knapps, Morrison's Cafeteria(where nothing tasted like traditional cafeteria food, their food was all fresh and home made)

I also avoid the following places:  Starbucks, Darden owned restaurants, Dillard's, Hooters, Coast to Coast AM Streamlink, Publix (chain of yuppie grocery stores here in the south), Whole Foods, Macaroni Grill(e), Trader Joe's, Tim Horton's, Chipotle Mexican food(It's also crap Mexican food in addition to overpriced) and many others. Those places offer very little value for the money.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: JustOneFix on May 29, 2011, 02:07:22 PM
I also avoid the following places:  Starbucks, Darden owned restaurants, Dillard's, Hooters, Coast to Coast AM Streamlink, Publix (chain of yuppie grocery stores here in the south), Whole Foods, Macaroni Grill(e), Trader Joe's, Tim Horton's, Chipotle Mexican food(It's also crap Mexican food in addition to overpriced) and many others. Those places offer very little value for the money.
i said a brief prayer to god that you would include chipotle in this list... and you did.  i've never eaten there (or even SEEN a chipotle), but based on the people i hear recommending it, it sounds like a place where hipsters conglomerate to compare ipad apps and share recycling tips.  sounds absolutely ponderous.

The General

Hey Trader Joe's isn't too bad!

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Michael V. on May 29, 2011, 04:49:17 PM
i said a brief prayer to god that you would include chipotle in this list... and you did.  i've never eaten there (or even SEEN a chipotle), but based on the people i hear recommending it, it sounds like a place where hipsters conglomerate to compare ipad apps and share recycling tips.  sounds absolutely ponderous.

I've never been inside a Chipotle(I value my intestines), but the one I fequently walk by is loaded with the type of cretins you surmised. Yuppies of all types and a healthy share of backward hat wearing whigger/frat boy retards and their peroxided cum dumpsters.

If Chipotle was the last franchise on Earth to eat at...then I'd be forced to subsist upon boogers and fingernails. And not just mine...

JustOneFix

Quote from: Michael V. on May 29, 2011, 04:49:17 PM

I have been in one, but I didn't order anything but a coke. I saw overpriced Taco Bell style food. Taco Bell is OK but I'd rather pay 69 cents for a taco then $4 for one and have to deal with the yuppies, hipsters and other people of their ilk.

yumyumtree

I also prefer Clark Howard, more of an all- around consumer advice guy. I like Howard because he doesn't carry political water. He was willing to criticize the banks for their role in the recent financial woes, when many on talk radio insisted that they were poor victimized darlings.
Dave Ramsey is basically right about a lot if stuff, but he's one of these zero-tolerance people, not unlike Dr. Laura. I stopped listening when he told landlords not to allow pets.

I also had a big problem with his answer to a woman who was working in her in-laws family business, a restaurant. She was concerned that they were breaking some labor laws even though employees seemingly didnt mind. He missed several major points, telling her to MYOB and maybe look for another job.

lonevoice

As soon as I saw the Mr. Rice & Beans title, I knew who it was about.  This gives me a logical spot to tell you that my little dog absolutely HATES "Baker Street" (Dave Ramsey's theme song).   The very instant he hears the opening notes of that saxophone, he starts whining and runs to the stereo, where he agitates until the channel is changed.   Me, I don't mind it so much.

I agree that Ramsey has helped a lot of people who, for whatever reason, were never given the opportunities to learn responsible financial management at a young age.  I was blessed and cursed to have learned from a stern father what he thought were the 3 most important things to know in life:  1) Working for someone else is a very bad thing.  2) Never use credit or loans; if you can't pay 100% cash for something, including your home and automobile, don't buy it.  No exceptions.  3) Never depend on anyone else for anything, especially financial well-being.

I learned the lessons very well and was able to exit the workplace at an unusually young age.

Continued good fortunes to you, General.  Live long and prosper. 

yumyumtree

I like "Baker Street" OK. It reminds me if when I was a young woman living in Missoula.
It also makes me think of Sherlock Holmes.

Juan

Quote from: yumyumtree on July 27, 2013, 09:57:43 AM
I also prefer Clark Howard, more of an all- around consumer advice guy.
I think I saw Clark Howard's wife getting into a brand new Tesla roadster last week in a shopping center parking lot.  He's a tighwad, but I think she spends money.

Insanity

Quote from: JustOneFix on May 29, 2011, 02:07:22 PM
I collect books of various topics and unless it's off the $3 shelf at Books a Million(their savings club doesn't save you squat) I don't buy books at the large booksellers.

Instead I look around on Abebooks.com, and the used section on Amazon. I also go to the used music stores and get CD's if I can't find the songs I'm looking for online.

The General- I
When I traveled for my job I'd hit up farm auctions for the tools & so forth. There's something kick ass about buying a set of Starrett Micrometers still in the wooden box for $20- when the same set would cost you over $500 if you had to order thru one of the tool suppliers.

I seem I am not alone here, as a Used Tool shopper, A large persentage tools I Own ( Getting to were I have a complete Wood working shop) was bought second hand. I often buy Old WW machines( The More Cast Iron, the better), built better and cheap. usualy some grease, a new set of bearings mabey a new belt and some paint is all they need.