• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Celebrity Deaths

Started by noodlehead.crucified.c2c, June 25, 2009, 05:28:29 PM

The wonderfully gifted, funny Jean Stapleton has died at the age of 90, a very good run.

I loved Edith Bunker, always the heart of the Bunker household. *toilet flushes* "Oh, Aaarchie!"

All in the Family TV Intro (70's)

I see three guys who worked on Storm Chasers (a Discovery channel program) died while, in fact, chasing a tornado.  I lament the loss of human life -- anyone sense a big but coming on? -- but they were sort of the authors of their deaths, weren't they?  Tight-rope walkers, shark-swimmers, et al, take big risks for (usually) big financial and ego rewards.  To me, it's one of those "Oh, well..." stories.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: West of the Rockies on June 02, 2013, 02:00:54 PM
I see three guys who worked on Storm Chasers (a Discovery channel program) died while, in fact, chasing a tornado.  I lament the loss of human life -- anyone sense a big but coming on? -- but they were sort of the authors of their deaths, weren't they?  Tight-rope walkers, shark-swimmers, et al, take big risks for (usually) big financial and ego rewards.  To me, it's one of those "Oh, well..." stories.
It's not quite "Darwin Award" material, but damn close. These risks are not altruistic, but done for the reasons you cited. My sympathy is for the poor souls who live there and got caught in the storm's wrath. Not seeking it out to provide us with uh "infotainment" like these three.

Sardondi

I feel guilty to agree. It's not like they're discovering penicillin, they're just doing the usual voyeurism that local TV news insists on -  "Yep! It's a tornado, and, yep, it just crossed Route 47 like you said, Blaine. Uh, it's getting a little close, so as we try to turn around here we're going to hand it back to you and Tiffany on Weather Alert at Eyewitness News 13. OH SHIT!!!!!......"

Sardondi

What.the.what?  The two married co-hosts of "The Pursuit of Happiness" monthly radio show commit suicide together: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/brooklyn/brooklyn-couple-committed-suicide-co-hosted-radio-show-article-1.1363804#ixzz2VNFfpfiK They were "life coaches" ran a "personal development" business.

Just looking at the photo some things are becoming clearer...

I have a Type A perfectionist, yoga-teaching, New-Age-loving, goes-to-China-to-learn-tai-chi sister-in-law who has a life coach. She also insisted, after being known as "Betsy" for over 50 years, that everyone, not just new acquaintances, but everyone, insisting her closest family, call her "Elizabeth" at all times. (Okay, I can see that...when you're 8.) She's over 60, has been a widow almost 10 years, and dates exclusively online. She has a current boyfriend whom she claims was a surgeon who "gave it up" to become a teacher of holistic massage. (I'd love to get that jackleg on a witness stand and find out what the truth is.) She doesn't claim to be a vegetarian with her family, but if you saw her eat you'd claim she was. She's also reed-thin and limber as a willow, and I, at 5 years younger and a former protein-adoring college football player sound like popcorn cooking when I move...which is why I try not to do it much. I get the feeling she looks at me with contempt for many reasons, not just because she "smells meat" on me and finds it offensive. She has a son who is a successful stockbroker, and a daughter who is a 32-year-old, throat-tattooed, face-pierced secretary for a thrash-metal record "company": she's prouder of the daughter. All this came on after her husband, a federal law enforcement agent, died of cancer about a decade ago. Her inner hippie blossomed. 

But the "life coach" thing is especially beyond me. She actually pays some stranger to listen to her talk about the most intimate details of her life and then give her advice about what to do.She's got two sisters and a mother, not to mention two brothers-in-law, who would tell her for free what the hell she needs to do. But the "life-coach" is a yoga-loving self-actualizing scam-artist who tells her to not worry about anyone but herself - you know, basically what she wants to hear - so which do you think to listen to? I have successfully avoided her for the last 4 years, even at Thanksgiving and Christmas, because I fear getting into a conversation with her.

So I don;t have a lot of respect for "life coaches". Sounds like these folks might have run out of scams.

Juan

The alleged male in the above relationship was a drummer.  Enough said.

onan

DAMNIT... I just paid them big bucks to give me life saving answers... now what do I do?

MV/Liberace!

oh, and here's a music video of his.  it's actually kinda catchy.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRYFZHspc0Q

stevesh

Probably too long ago for most coastgabbers, but Esther Williams is dead at 91.

Morgus

Quote from: stevesh on June 06, 2013, 04:51:34 PM
Probably too long ago for most coastgabbers, but Esther Williams is dead at 91.
Wasn't Esther known for appearing swimming in swimsuits in color movies in the 40's  and later married Latin Actor Fernardo Lamas?

jazmunda

Quote from: MV on June 05, 2013, 07:05:51 PM
oh, and here's a music video of his.  it's actually kinda catchy.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRYFZHspc0Q

That clip could easily have been titled "Awkward White Guy Dancing".

coaster

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on June 02, 2013, 03:14:05 PM
           It's not quite "Darwin Award" material, but damn close. These risks are not altruistic, but done for the reasons you cited. My sympathy is for the poor souls who live there and got caught in the storm's wrath. Not seeking it out to provide us with uh "infotainment" like these three.
Absolutely not. If you knew Tim Samaras like I did, you'd bite your fucking tongue.The man did not go out just to chase tornadoes. Do some fucking research before you think you know someone.

coaster

Well hell, now I feel bad. I didnt mean to snap at you Eddie. I knew Tim personally. He was not a shark chaser or whatever the hell you want to call it. He was a good man. He wasnt a fucking tornado cowboy bullshit "infotainment" man.  BTW guys, that tornado was an EF5, and turned into a 2.5 mile wide tornado in less than 30 seconds. Tim thought he was just in the inflow, not the tornado. He was a victim, like many that died in the other tornado in Moore, sitting on a road. Remember those? Or in Joplin? Away from the tornado. not an adventure seeker. He was a scientist, not a fucking madman. If you want to vilify someone, go talk to Reed Timmer, who I also know. The guy with the fan base who made over 100k on kickstarter because his fans want him to buttfuck a tornado in the ass. Not everyone is trying to drive right into one. Tim laid probes and got away.. He was a smart man.
Tim Samaras was a good man who worried about everyone out there. No one knows Tim. So please, just dont.
take big risks for (usually) big financial and ego rewards.  To me, it's one of those "Oh, well..." stories.
well...fuck you.
im done. sorry. god damnit.

MV/Liberace!

I disliked Reed within ten seconds of seeing him for the first time.

The General

Quote from: Sardondi on June 05, 2013, 04:08:31 PM

Death Worshippers. 
In my opinion. 
Creepy Death Worshippers.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: The General on June 06, 2013, 11:55:21 PM
Death Worshippers. 
In my opinion. 

as they've both gone at the same time, i think it unlikely they were equally "on board" with the whole idea of suicide.  i suspect one had to convince the other.  in the videos i've seen, she consistently looks like a manipulative and domineering person while he looks sheepish, emasculated, fragile and overruled.  i'll bet she did the convincing.

Quote from: coaster on June 06, 2013, 10:24:37 PM
Well hell, now I feel bad. I didnt mean to snap at you Eddie. I knew Tim personally. He was not a shark chaser or whatever the hell you want to call it. He was a good man. He wasnt a fucking tornado cowboy bullshit "infotainment" man.  BTW guys, that tornado was an EF5, and turned into a 2.5 mile wide tornado in less than 30 seconds. Tim thought he was just in the inflow, not the tornado. He was a victim, like many that died in the other tornado in Moore, sitting on a road. Remember those? Or in Joplin? Away from the tornado. not an adventure seeker. He was a scientist, not a fucking madman. If you want to vilify someone, go talk to Reed Timmer, who I also know. The guy with the fan base who made over 100k on kickstarter because his fans want him to buttfuck a tornado in the ass. Not everyone is trying to drive right into one. Tim laid probes and got away.. He was a smart man.
Tim Samaras was a good man who worried about everyone out there. No one knows Tim. So please, just dont.well...fuck you.
im done. sorry. god damnit.

Hey, Coaster.  I often argue in favor of a more civil tone in politics and on other issues on this forum.  I'm sorry that you lost a person you say you knew and admired.  I will suggest that I did not "vilify" him with my comment (above).  Whatever... you clearly were offended and have decided "fuck you" is the best way forward. 

A quick internet search reveals that Samaras had a solid reputation as a storm researcher.  Research often comes with mortal risk.  Madame Marie Curie is a great example of that principle.  So when I'm wrong, I try to admit it.  I was wrong.  Samaras evidently died doing something he was passionate about and which may (his research) have been genuinely helpful to humanity.  He was not simply a Siegfied & Roy style entertainer, doing something dangerous for a dollar. 

I hope you'll accept my apology.

Now I am curious about something.  You thought you were too hard on Eddie Coyle, but I get a "fuck you".  You don't like my politics, or what?  I just want to know.

A couple days ago David Deacon Jones passed away.  Boy, he was one of the old-school NFL greats.  You know who may be one of the most famous/beloved sports-related figures still active in the industry?  L.A. Dodger announcer Vin Scully.  He is 85 (born when Ruth was still swinging a bat with authority).  I hope he keeps on keepin' on.

Sardondi

Quote from: The General on June 06, 2013, 11:55:21 PM
Death Worshippers. 
In my opinion. 

Quote from: MV on June 07, 2013, 01:16:05 PMas they've both gone at the same time, i think it unlikely they were equally "on board" with the whole idea of suicide.  i suspect one had to convince the other.  in the videos i've seen, she consistently looks like a manipulative and domineering person while he looks sheepish, emasculated, fragile and overruled.  i'll bet she did the convincing.

I agree she was the dominant personality. I can almost see the box of testosterone gel sitting on "his" side of the bathroom cabinet. When I look at that picture, along with knowing their radio show and the circumstances of their deaths, I feel confident I can also tell you their political affiliations, religious beliefs and cultural attitudes to within an inch. But that's hardly a trick.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Sardondi on June 07, 2013, 05:05:21 PM
...I feel confident I can also tell you their political affiliations, religious beliefs and cultural attitudes to within an inch.

exactly.  they're rather cookie-cutter.

Ray Bradbury passed away one year ago today at 91.  He was one of the "big four" (Heinlein, Asimov, Clarke).  If there is an afterlife, I hope they are all gathered together and enjoying a great beer and stellar conversation.

Morgus

Quote from: West of the Rockies on June 08, 2013, 03:11:37 PM
Ray Bradbury passed away one year ago today at 91. 
actually Ray Bradbury died a year ago, on June 5, 2012...
his longtime friend Ray Harryhausen (creator of many Hollywood stop-action monsters including the skeletons in "Jason & The Argonauts") passed away just last month, on  May 7, 2013

Thanks for the correction, Morgus -- I saw the info. reported incorrectly and ran with it -- hey, maybe I have a career in mainstream journalism?!?  ;D

Morgus

Quote from: West of the Rockies on June 08, 2013, 03:15:21 PM
Thanks for the correction, Morgus -- I saw the info. reported incorrectly and ran with it -- hey, maybe I have a career in mainstream journalism?!?  ;D
you still report more accurate news bits than Noory does each night ...  8)

stevesh

Country 'music' star and infomercial pioneer Slim Whitman dead at 90.

onan

Quote from: stevesh on June 19, 2013, 03:42:55 PM
Country 'music' star and infomercial pioneer Slim Whitman dead at 90.

Now we have no defense against Mars.

Sardondi

Quote from: onan on June 19, 2013, 04:25:30 PMNow we have no defense against Mars.

BWAAAAHAAAAHAAAAAA!!!!!

HorrorRetro

James Gandolfini gone at age 51.