• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Celebrity Deaths

Started by noodlehead.crucified.c2c, June 25, 2009, 05:28:29 PM

Tarbaby

Yes, there was indeed a dark plot line in "what dreams may come" but the larger context was that we create our own reality. So that's potentially positive. The hellish prison for the wife was a prison of her own making.

b_dubb

BBC reported earlier that Robin Williams was presenting early symptoms of Parkinsons

Quote from: b_dubb on August 14, 2014, 02:31:11 PM
BBC reported earlier that Robin Williams was presenting early symptoms of Parkinsons

I think most of us have heard this.  This belongs in the politics thread.

George Drooly

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on August 14, 2014, 02:36:17 PM
I think most of us have heard this.  This belongs in the politics thread.

The fuck?

WOTR

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on August 14, 2014, 02:19:02 AM
Thanks, wotr1. I bet many Americans are dusting off their VCRs and digging around for their copy of What Dreams May Come to view it again while filtered in the light of what has happened...

...The special effects for the time were supposedly very good, in addition to the story.

...At the other extreme of Robins choosing any job, as my granduncle would have said, "Whatever pays the light bill, I'll take it."

...I did visit the same ballpark, when a friend I grew up with since kindergarten killed himself not very long after snagging a really nice drafting job with an architectural company. ...

I've told my family and friends that if I'm ever found dead of apparent suicide, there will be a fucking suicide novel left behind. If the novel isn't present, then I was by God murdered and they should call Cohle and Hart to investigate a possible Yellow King angle, since I've been researching R W Chambers for several years and may have possibly rocked some otherworld boat. heh.

I have to say that I still have a VCR... Not many tapes, but the player is still working.  I will admit that I downloaded it because the only time I saw it the movie was a rental and I never imagined that I would have the urge to watch it again.  Almost two decades on and it  was still hard to watch. The effects were good and I maintain that the movie is worth the time.  The back story of the sorrow and depression his wife felt was far too real- I have watched people blame themselves and beat up on themselves and hold onto sorrow because it is all they have.  Hell, I will admit that I have been known to purposely and willingly depress myself.

Going off on a little side path I will say that Johnny Cash's version of "Hurt" brings the feelings, thoughts and reasons into focus.  I know there are people who do not have the impulse to invite pain, even just for a brief time- but I do not think that Cash was singing for them.

I did find myself thinking a little about Williams while I watched the movie.  I realized that to him the movie would have just been a job.  He would have acted a few lines and shot a few scenes each day without the effects added and I doubt it would have made the impact on him.  Something about watching him in it told me it was more a job than a statement.  Perhaps he just needed a break from comedy and wanted to test drama?  I suppose in the end it does not matter.

I am sorry to hear about your friend.  It does not matter if it was a good friend, husband, son or daughter- Loosing somebody this way leaves a strange hole different from a "regular" death.  The thing about writing a suicide novel is that hopefully by the time you reach the final chapter time will have allowed reflection and a change of heart...

Johnny Cash - Hurt (Real GQ - Good Quality)

Quote from: wotr1 on August 15, 2014, 04:56:25 AM
The thing about writing a suicide novel is that hopefully by the time you reach the final chapter time will have allowed reflection and a change of heart...

Fortunately, given my lack of production, I will live forever, given those parameters defined.  :D

Prolific actor, Ed Nelson, dead at 85.

A partial listing of just the TV roles: Black Saddle, M Squad, Highway Patrol, The Outer Limits, The Twilight Zone, Tombstone Territory, Have Gun-Will Travel, The Rebel, Maverick, Thriller, Checkmate, Hawaiian Eye, The Alfred Hitchcock Hour, Rawhide, The Untouchables, 77 Sunset Strip, Gunsmoke, The Fugitive, Combat!, Perry Mason, Marcus Welby, M.D., Banachek, Night Gallery, Alias Smith and Jones, The Sixth Sense, Kung Fu, The FBI, Mod Squad, McMillan and Wife, Medical Center, Logan’s Run, The Rockford Files, Trapper John, M.D., Barnaby Jones, Quincy M.E., CHIPs, Dynasty, MacGyver, Jake and the Fatman, Murder She Wrote, and many others.

Longer write up listing film roles as well:

http://midatlanticnostalgiaconvention.com/ed-nelson-star-peyton-place-dies-85/

[attachimg=1]

Movement Key : SJP

WOTR

Quote from: gnooryblows on August 12, 2014, 01:26:23 AM
im not the noid and im sorry but im not trying to troll everyone. its just that robin Williams is a big name actor, now he's dead and everybody is going to make such a big deal about it. its extremely strange, you now. nobody knew him. he was a stranger to them all. but they will mourn him. doesnt that suggest to you that maybe humanity has got their priorities mixed up somewhere along the line? im not happy about his death either,
but why all of the outpouring of emotion for some rich stranger?
it just does not make sense
I will take a stab at this.  I do not consider the post trolling as on many levels I agree with you.  A million times I have watched some big name actor or singer die and thousands mourn.  On so many levels it makes no sense where you mourn somebody you never knew.

For some reason people actually do feel that they "know" an actor by their work.  Many people form some bond with a character that the actor has portrayed and it has meant something to them.  They are not mourning Robin Williams- they are mourning Ms. Doubtfire or Mork.

The fact is that we mourn not for the person who is dead- but for ourselves and what we feel we have lost.  In many ways mourning is selfish.  Yes, there will be those who wail and cry for Williams- mostly in public, no doubt.  The ones who honestly feel a loss for a man they did not know must either be mourning because the identified with a character or for a man who brought them joy.  I can honestly say that there are actors whose work I have enjoyed- who I feel contributed to my growth- who somehow touched me and contributed positively to my life.  When they die, there is a small "spark" of recognition and a brief thought of thanksgiving for what they have contributed.

I suppose because I am in an odd mood and have already posted far too much on this topic and too much on my personal life I will continue with one last thought in regards to mourning and loss as it was the best thing I had read on the topic of death and mourning.  Twain wrote this immediately following the death of Jean, his daughter.  I actually included it in my fathers eulogy and will not comment further on it.

Would I bring her back to life if I could do it? I would not. If a word would do it, I would beg for strength to withhold the word. And I would have the strength; I am sure of it. In her loss I am almost bankrupt, and my life is a bitterness, but I am content: for she has been enriched with the most precious of all gifts--that gift which makes all other gifts mean and poor-- death. I have never wanted any released friend of mine restored to life since I reached manhood. I felt in this way when Susy passed away; and later my wife, and later Mr. Rogers. When Clara met me at the station in New York and told me Mr. Rogers had died suddenly that morning, my thought was, Oh, favorite of fortune-- fortunate all his long and lovely life--fortunate to his latest moment! The reporters said there were tears of sorrow in my eyes. True--but they were for ME, not for him. He had suffered no loss. All the fortunes he had ever made before were poverty compared with this one.

ItsOver

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on August 15, 2014, 05:20:51 AM
Fortunately, given my lack of production, I will live forever, given those parameters defined.  :D

Prolific actor, Ed Nelson, dead at 85.

A partial listing of just the TV roles: Black Saddle, M Squad, Highway Patrol, The Outer Limits, The Twilight Zone, Tombstone Territory, Have Gun-Will Travel, The Rebel, Maverick, Thriller, Checkmate, Hawaiian Eye, The Alfred Hitchcock Hour, Rawhide, The Untouchables, 77 Sunset Strip, Gunsmoke, The Fugitive, Combat!, Perry Mason, Marcus Welby, M.D., Banachek, Night Gallery, Alias Smith and Jones, The Sixth Sense, Kung Fu, The FBI, Mod Squad, McMillan and Wife, Medical Center, Logan’s Run, The Rockford Files, Trapper John, M.D., Barnaby Jones, Quincy M.E., CHIPs, Dynasty, MacGyver, Jake and the Fatman, Murder She Wrote, and many others.[/i]

Longer write up listing film roles as well:

http://midatlanticnostalgiaconvention.com/ed-nelson-star-peyton-place-dies-85/

[attachimg=1]

Movement Key : SJP
Ed Nelson.  I remember him.  One of those generic guys primarily in the 60s and 70s.  Like Richard Crenna and a host of other cardboard cut-outs. 

ItsOver

Star Trek hottie passes on.  I remember her as one of "Hogan's Hotties," too.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/14/showbiz/obit-star-trek-arlene-martel/index.html

Quote from: ItsOver on August 15, 2014, 09:29:33 AM
Ed Nelson.  I remember him.  One of those generic guys primarily in the 60s and 70s.  Like Richard Crenna and a host of other cardboard cut-outs.

Recognize the face from all those shows, but never knew his name.  He was part of a group of character actors I refer to as the "Oh, yeah, that guy" guys because even though they're in practically everything, I can never remember their names.

ItsOver

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on August 15, 2014, 09:39:45 AM
Recognize the face from all those shows, but never knew his name.  He was part of a group of character actors I refer to as the "Oh, yeah, that guy" guys because even though they're in practically everything, I can never remember their names.
Ha!  Exactly.  I didn't sort through all his shows.  I don't believe he made "Columbo" caliber but he had to make the cut for something like "The Love Boat?"

MeTV is killing two dead celebrities with one stone by showing a Rockford episode with Lauren Bacall right now.

Morgus

Quote from: ItsOver on August 15, 2014, 09:38:48 AM
Star Trek hottie passes on.  I remember her as one of "Hogan's Hotties," too.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/14/showbiz/obit-star-trek-arlene-martel/index.html

Arlene Martell passed away from a sudden heart attack earlier this week at age 78, she appeared as a guest star in many 1960s and later TV shows including Star Trek, Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, Man from UNCLE, Wild Wild West, Hogan's Heroes, and many more:
http://www.blastr.com/2014-8-13/sci-fi-legend-arlene-martel-aka-spocks-amok-time-bride-t-pring-dead-78

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on August 15, 2014, 10:22:55 AM
MeTV is killing two dead celebrities with one stone by showing a Rockford episode with Lauren Bacall right now.

Encore has a Robin Williams movie marathon going on right now (Sunday).
RV will be on in 2 hours.

MV/Liberace!

Don Pardo.  SNL announcer.  Dead at 96.

Quote from: MV on August 18, 2014, 11:49:42 PM
Don Pardo.  SNL announcer.  Dead at 96.

I just saw that.  I remember when he was the original announcer on Jeopardy and was part of Art Fleming's catchphrase at the beginning of the show, "Thank you friends, and thank you, Don Pardo."  Even though I haven't watched SNL in years, it was nice to know he was still going strong and obviously having fun. He was one of those people you almost expect to live forever.  Definitely the end of an era, too, because he had to be just about the last of the old time professional announcers from the old radio days.

Don Pardo is the third.

They say the famous deaths come in threes.

Bart Ell

Quote from: FightTheFuture on August 19, 2014, 09:55:26 AM
Don Pardo is the third.

They say the famous deaths come in threes.

Rest easy Hollywood, you are all now safe!... for now

Billy Rath would be #4, for those who knew who he was. To the rest, it is still at 3.

Tarbaby

He was an interesting man. A gentleman. RIP

maureen

Thank you, Sir Richard Attenborough!   An honour and a privilege, sir!

popple

Awwww... I liked him. RIP sir :(

The great Joan Rivers is gone. RIP.

Quote from: FightTheFuture on September 04, 2014, 01:37:21 PM

That's too bad, but not surprising.  Her chances of recovery seemed pretty slim.

I enjoyed her schtick and her willingness to make fun of her own image.  And on the positive side, she did such a great job of having herself preserved while she was alive that they probably won't have to embalm her.

Chine

Quote from: FightTheFuture on September 04, 2014, 01:37:21 PM

I had the pleasure to have met her a few times over the years while I was working at Radio City Music Hall in NYC. She was always very kind and gracious.

Quote from: Chine on September 04, 2014, 02:01:46 PM
I had the pleasure to have met her a few times over the years while I was working at Radio City Music Hall in NYC. She was always very kind and gracious.

THAT is very cool. I was a huge fan.

MV/Liberace!

I loved the way she said what she felt like saying and didn't give a shit who was offended or how uncouth it seemed.  She and political correctness were antithetical to one another.  We need more people like that. 

Her daughter must be a wreck right now.

Quote from: MV on September 04, 2014, 03:25:17 PM
I loved the way she said what she felt like saying and didn't give a shit who was offended or how uncouth it seemed.  She and political correctness were antithetical to one another.  We need more people like that. 

Her daughter must be a wreck right now.

I've been thinking about her daughter since I heard the news. I really feel for her, from the heart. They were inseparable, and this is so sudden and unexpected. Joan Rivers was one of those tough old boots you think will be around forever. Even at  81, her death is shocking. She really was quite an inspiration for a generation of young women comedians.

I think the NY State Dept of Health is undertaking an investigation into what happened the day she underwent her procedure and why her cardiac and respiratory arrests went unnoticed for some minutes by whoever was doing the anesthesia.