RELIGION Thread

Started by theONE, October 25, 2016, 03:51:49 AM

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on August 29, 2020, 03:08:48 PM
   Sanhedrin Petitions to Govt to Blow Shofar on Temple Mount 

https://www.breakingisraelnews.com/157145/sanhedrin-petitions-to-govt-to-blow-shofar-on-temple-mount-for-first-time-since-temple-destruction/

I always get a kick out of the mystique around shofars, especially among Evangelicals -- I remember my 10th-grade prophecy/world history teacher playing a tape for us like it was heap big juju.  They are probably the first natural trumpets, universal to humanity since some bored caveman blew a raspberry into a discarded goat or antelope horn and figured out it made a loud noise.  But, like vestigial remnants in evolution, most peoples moved on to more sophisticated instruments while the natural trumpet survived either due to cultural conservatism, like the Jews, or isolation -- our bukkehorn is essentially dentical but was blown by poor herd-girls to scare away wolves.  It's just a wild vuvuzela.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on August 29, 2020, 04:32:41 PM
I always get a kick out of the mystique around shofars, especially among Evangelicals -- I remember my 10th-grade prophecy/world history teacher playing a tape for us like it was heap big juju.  They are probably the first natural trumpets, universal to humanity since some bored caveman blew a raspberry into a discarded goat or antelope horn and figured out it made a loud noise.  But, like vestigial remnants in evolution, most peoples moved on to more sophisticated instruments while the natural trumpet survived either due to cultural conservatism, like the Jews, or isolation -- our bukkehorn is essentially dentical but was blown by poor herd-girls to scare away wolves.  It's just a wild vuvuzela.
When the World Cup was in ZA that vuvuzela crap was amazing. Amazingly bad. I reminded me of during those times of the 17-year locusts (really cicadas) with the ferocity and noise but, oddly, something one could get used to- unless one thought about it. Then it could drive a person to madness. As if soccer wasn't bad and frustrating enough you had that incessant buzzing. No wonder there is hooliganism, riots, and wife-beating frequently associated with the sport.

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on August 29, 2020, 04:41:50 PM
When the World Cup was in ZA that vuvuzela crap was amazing. Amazingly bad. I reminded me of during those times of the 17-year locusts (really cicadas) with the ferocity and noise but, oddly, something one could get used to- unless one thought about it. Then it could drive a person to madness. As if soccer wasn't bad and frustrating enough you had that incessant buzzing. No wonder there is hooliganism, riots, and wife-beating frequently associated with the sport.

Haha yeah I caught the beginning of one of their cycles I think it was 2004 in DC that was something else.  I should get a vuvuzela for my big sis in AK; there's a brown bear that has made sort of a seasonal camp under a couple of her trees.  She says he runs away from loud noises but always comes back.

AZZERAE

"Let not those who are niggardly with what Allah has granted them out of His bounty think that it is good for them. Indeed, it is evil for them. What they are niggardly about shall be hung about their necks like a collar on the day of Resurrection."

- Al-Imran, Verse 180

AZZERAE

"Avoid suspicion, for suspicion in some cases is sin. And spy not, neither backbite one another."

- Al-Hujurat, Verse 12



Dr. MD MD

Quote from: SpaceMeowMaid on October 03, 2020, 01:38:30 AM
I will just sit on their lap. Problem solved.

No, that’s not a gun in my pocket. I’m just happy to see you. :)

SpaceMeowMaid

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on October 03, 2020, 01:41:11 AM
No, that’s not a gun in my pocket. I’m just happy to see you. :)

Just think about dead baby bunnies. It'll make your chubby go away! See problem solving all over the place. Also you need some churchin up.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: SpaceMeowMaid on October 03, 2020, 01:55:57 AM
Just think about dead baby bunnies. It'll make your chubby go away! See problem solving all over the place. Also you need some churchin up.







Innerreach

Quote from: Jackstar on January 05, 2021, 03:12:30 PMIs this going to be on the midterm?

Well, yes but, not for you Jackstar. ;)


pate


Apparently, this local pastor has caused a bit of a stir.  The local radio guys say it has gone viral nationally, Nautical Shore about that.

I love the "...I'm not worth your Red Lobster money?!..." bit.

I will reserve judgement until I hear Big Chicken's take on this...

-p

Juan

That reminds me - I need to check on Pastor Butch.

Jackstar

Quote from: Juan on August 22, 2022, 05:46:30 AMThat reminds me - I need to check on Pastor Butch.

Tell her I said, "Hi!"


Powered by SMFPacks Menu Editor Mod